Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rad Valtar posted:

So I have a question, if I have a character and he's level 50 and I don't own the first two expansions how will my character get to 60 for the new free expansions? Is that was what the instant 60 thing means?

No. Instant 60 means you'll have a button on your server screen to make a level 60 character that will afterwards be grayed out unless you buy more - Bioware's said they'll probably make that buyable with cartel coins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Bombogenesis posted:

I am still flip-flopping on what to level in the expansion first.

Same. I'm an RPG goon so I'm strongly considering playing KOTFE first with a couple of my characters I don't really care about to see how different plot choices unfold before playing one of the characters I'm somewhat invested in.

Probably my Inquisitor and Trooper first. Don't give a poo poo what happens to those characters in the story.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Eimi posted:

Heh that's interesting to me, as I'm kinda the opposite. My first character will pretty much end up being the 'canon' one I go with, mistakes and all. I don't entirely knowing what I will pick for optimum outcome or whatever. And while I don't outright avoid spoilers, I like going with my first reaction to stuff so to speak

My main mistake is usually not poking companions enough in BW games, not sure if that will trip me up in FE.

Usually my 'canon' run of a given RPG is my third or fourth, once I know the game well. :v:

Tentative plan for KOTFE is to do my Inquisitor first, then Trooper taking the opposite plot decisions (I'm assuming there won't be more than two choices), then figure things out from there for the characters I care a bit about.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I wonder if maybe Lokin's special trick will be his dps form, functionally making him a melee dps companion when set to that role.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Medullah posted:

There's a mission to start KOTFE, and from what I understand it gives you a GIANT warning that you can't go back.

Correct, and it's mainly because of the dramatic changes to the companion system once you get into KOTFE.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Fuzz posted:

Who the hell uses comms for this when you literally get free 192 gear for them?

I for one was a retard and would usually buy comm gear on Rishi for them to get them through Rishi and Yavin easily. :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I've just been using a companion with my same mainstat and giving hand me downs. Granted not every class has one, but I think most have at least one...

It depends. Inquisitor, Marauder (jugg is fine), and Sentinel (guardian is fine) all don't have one. Several other classes have a companion who uses mostly the same gear but different weapons. And that's dependent on you actually using the companion in question.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Medullah posted:

Xalek, Broonmark and Scourge all use the same stats.

Broonmark and Scourge only use the same stats if you're a Juggernaut/Guardian. Marauders and Sentinels are out of luck.

Completely forgot Xalek exists.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Medullah posted:

The stats are tank stats but ultimately story content is so easy it's not a noticeable difference while leveling. So a Marauder/Sentinel can give their gear to Broonmark or Scourge and be fine.

I was thinking more that Broonmark and Scourge wear heavy armor versus the M/S's medium, but fine.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Medullah posted:

That's a valid point, but who doesn't use adaptive armor anyways. :)

*raises hand* I find most adaptive armor either hideous or bikinis.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Huh. I don't recall having any trouble with my Shadow leveling as dps. Used Theran all the time until I got Nadia, then switched to her. I don't remember any fights being especially hard except for the last boss which I forgot the first time has actual mechanics you can't ignore.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Thyrork posted:

That'd be my mistake then. I've been using Qyzen until I replaced him with Nadia. Theran rubbed me funny as a character so I didn't give him a second thought, healer or not. Holiday is also somewhere between Aww and Ugh too, the latter mostly because of Theran.

It'll be nice when any companion can do anything. :unsmith:

I don't like Theran in general, but he's still preferable to Mr. "What's wrong with hunting and skinning sentient beings?" Then you get the bloodthirsty psychopath that's Zenith, and Iresso who has the personality depth of cardboard.

Nadia's great, but she's the only character on the Consular crew I'm looking forward to seeing again in KOTFE. Iresso's not bad, he's just dull.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Aphrodite posted:

Well on the bright side in a week and a half she probably disappears from your storyline.

Based on datamining Probably, yeah. All the romanceable companions look to be getting axed from having notable roles in the KOTFE story.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

wtftastic posted:

I love spoilers. Post spoilers for everything, please, I for sure want new content I can't play yet spoiled for me.

Then... don't mouse over spoiler bars?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Berke Negri posted:

For myself I've found some specs better than others when it comes to ability fatigue. Like, concealment operative was very easy to jump into and you're probably using less than ten abilities any battle, while assassin tank was just not real fun for me to play because there's so many things that need to be on cooldown.

Infiltration shadow is the simplest I've found. It's almost entirely spinning kick out of stealth, clairvoyant strike, potency on cooldown, whirling blow in execute range, then three other abilities when the procs light them up.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I won't be available, unfortunately. I get off of work at 8 tonight and probably won't be able to get logged in until 9-ish.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FishFood posted:

So, are the companion changes only in effect in the new content, or will they be as rad during leveling?

Bioware's said they'll be in for leveling. It's the whole Alliance system they still haven't talked about because it's heavily involved with the KOTFE story that will be restricted to the expansion.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Reveilled posted:

My list would go Agent, Smuggler, Warrior, Inquisitor, Bounty Hunter, Knight, Consular, Trooper.

I will fight you. The Consular is everything I ever wanted out of a Jedi story, one that really embraces the Jedi PC as a wise mystic and diplomat like how Jedi are supposed to be in my mind, not a space samurai.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Thyrork posted:

It's a problem yeah. Thankfully I offset it slightly by having my Consular have a ruthless side with armed enemies, Sith, but not the Empire, and Hutts/The Cartel as a whole. Still a good Jedi, just prone to snarling at Hutts. :fuckoff:

The Consular can also point out that how dogmatically the Jedi have adhered to the Jedi Code is something that's varied over the centuries. At present in TOR the Jedi are very conservative about the Jedi Code, but during the reconstruction of the Order after the Jedi Civil War the Code was interpreted as guidelines and Jedi were encouraged to love and marry.

It's one of the things I like about the Consular. You can politely disagree with many parts of Jedi dogma without immediately going dark side.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Oct 10, 2015

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Aphrodite posted:

Might be the same model, but I just got this ridiculous thing after the first 2 SoR dungeons

Everyone gets a giant yellow plastic weapon for doing the Forged Alliances story. You'll upgrade to faux-flintlocks on Rishi.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Eimi posted:

What if you're like me and a total goodie-two-shoes on Imperial side? :v:

And me. Empire side is well-written for either approach, honestly. Going puppy kicking is a lot of fun if you're into that, but every Imperial storyline is written with the possibility of playing against type in mind and it's usually satisfying, particularly if you enjoy confusing and surprising NPCs at every turn.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Aphrodite posted:

Yes, Inquisitor/Consular have ranged specs.

Specifically, the Sorcerer/Sage is always ranged. Assassin/Shadow is melee. Both Warrior/Knight versions are melee.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Warrior, at least, usually gets neutral options to play a ruthless but honorable warrior. You give no fucks about good or evil, you're just there to test yourself as hard as you can against worthy foes no matter what form they take.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The Warrior was exactly what I was thinking about, I didn't spare Jaesa's master because it was the noble thing to do, but because I expected him to be tortured for valuable intelligence and it would help psychologically manipulate Jaesa, both of which had been major plot points in the chapter. But I couldn't find an option that didn't fill the screen with saintly light and have my character say "I am a good person"

You can tell Baras afterwards that you did it to gently caress with the Jedi, sending the dude back after what happened as proof of the Order's failure and weakness. Baras is entertained and approves.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Fuzz posted:

but the SW storyline (and the SI in some places) specifically punch holes in it by demonstrating that you CAN be in touch with your emotions and still be a rational and well-balanced individual, without just eschewing all semblance of self and giving up personal ties.

I think the Inquisitor dwells on this more. If you're light-side, you can talk at length to the guy on Alderaan about how the Jedi Code forbids anger and hatred, true, but also joy and love. They can be dangerous, true, but that's what the sense of judgment and wisdom everyone else in the galaxy uses is for. The LS Inquisitor gets actively called out on her alignment by other Sith repeatedly through the story, too, but can always point out that the Sith Code is a doctrine of freedom, not evil or selfishness. It's a philosophical point Star Wars rarely considers, but towards the end of the Inquisitor story the main antagonist recites part of the Sith Code: "Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power. Through power I gain victory."

He leaves it there, but one option is for the Inquisitor to remind him of the rest: "Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall free me."

The Warrior always acts like they have to hide their light-side nature, but the Inquisitor can be open about it and discuss it philosophically with other Sith. And most other Sith even accept the LS Inquisitor's argument and demonstration that restraint is not always weakness.

Or as Ashara puts it: "There is passion, but there is peace. There is strength, but there is knowledge. There is power, but there is serenity. There is victory, but there is harmony. There is freedom, but there is the Force."

Eimi posted:

You aren't entirely dedicated to bringing the Sith down from within, but you are pretty much cast as a good person, rather than just pragmatic or what have you. It does work best if you view your motivation as more change the Empire and make it less lovely, I certainly don't see the LS war as a double agent or someone who wants to be a Jedi. I guess I like that aspect of a person born in a darker place and working to make it better for themselves and other people, rather than just trying to defect to some place better. Think of it as being a noble who actually buys into the idea of the nobility, the whole "The highest distinction is service to others."

Noblesse oblige, in other words. The Warrior is stated to be an aristocrat, a scion of a long and glorious Sith bloodline. They really do buy into it if LS.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Fuzz posted:

Yeah, the SW overall has the vibe, but in several places (particularly LS SI conversations with Ashara) the SI straight up breaks the Star Wars paradigm over its knee, and it's one of the reasons I don't get why people are so sore on the SI storyline, but I guess you'd miss all that if you play DS because hoooooly poo poo DS SI is a cartoonish psychopath. :allears:

I maintain that the SI storyline is a dumpster fire, but the SI characters are great.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Westminster System posted:

As a LS Inquisitor all I can say is I feel like I'm Marr's running mate in some pseudo-election.

Marr/Imperius/Vowrawn '08 ATC: Change you can believe in.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Man, with what everyone's saying about LS Inquisitor I may have to call an audible and switch. I thought I'd try to go for a dark side character since I've done nothing but light, but...

Both Sith classes have very good character arcs to them if you play against type and go LS. Both are also hilariously evil characters if you go DS. Take your pick or make two of each.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Eimi posted:

The way I see Marr is that he wants power, but he doesn't care how he gets it. If he gets to be in charge by being nice to people, he's all for that. If he has to step over some corpses he doesn't mind that. But the fact that he is willing to be nice to people is a big step up and makes him interesting. Also the whole hatred of the Jedi thing is still kind of justified even for a LS Sith. You have to remember that the Jedi and the Republic nearly wiped them all out in the Hyperspace War, which to the Republic was some minor thing, but to the Sith it was the whole near end of their civilization. It's also why everyone trusted Vitiate for so long, because he lead them to safety.

It helps, I think, that unlike most Darths you run into in TOR, Marr is very respectful towards the PC no matter your class. He doesn't try to impinge on the Bounty Hunter's independent nature, the Imperial Agent's secretive streak (or that the Agent is Darth Jadus' right hand), or either Sith's position in the hierarchy. You're the person he needs for the task at hand and he's not about to endanger that with a petty pissing match unless the PC is DS and as such a very dangerous instrument liable to do as much harm to the Empire as the actual enemy.

On Rishi, Bounty Hunters can even tell Mako that they have no problem with being the Dark Council's troubleshooter as long as it's people like Marr calling the shots rather than people like Tormen.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

unseenlibrarian posted:

I'm still laying odds that Darth Marr turns out to be the long-lost descendant of Visas Marr and is thus super-creepy looking because no eyes.

Possible, but that would make things awkward for the Bounty Hunter considering they kill a descendant of Visas as the big boss of the BH's Act 2. :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Which is the reason Marr cites when he names the LS Inquisitor Darth Imperius. Your actions, unorthodox though they may be, have consistently strengthened the Empire as a whole, and Marr bestows the name Imperius as a result.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Fuzz posted:

There's one that shows up in the BH storyline that wasn't so bad, either, but I can't remember his name. I feel like all of the Imperial stories have at least one chill Sith except for Agent, where they're all over the top fucktarded and ridiculous, mostly to highlight and emphasize the fact that the Sith are running the Empire into the ground.

Eh... Darth Tormen is still a bloodthirsty bastard who kills people on a whim for the slightest hint of incompetence or disloyalty. And the fucker force choked Blizz.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Nipponophile posted:

He has his own problems later.

He's a vossaboo.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Seriously, even now, Bioware doesn't get enough credit for the multiplayer branching dialogue scenes. Leveling with a buddy and trying to make each other laugh with your weird dialogue choices is an experience you just don't get anywhere else. Me and my friend made these two Sith juggernauts who we played as lovely goth kids trying to one-up each other by being the most eee-vill, and god drat was that great.

Nothing quite like being the one light-sider in a group of dark-side Imps back in vanilla and snagging the LS/DS choice to force the group into saving kittens rather than eating them like the rest of the group wanted. I got booted from a few groups for doing that, and bitched at in many more.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Question about the agent story (spoilers specifically about the end of Ch.1).

How drastically does the game change if you side with Jadus? I know you get the same missions in different contexts and some NPCs talk to you differently, but is it mostly the same story with a few different tweaks, or does it create a completely different universe from the story where you take him out?

I'm curious about it but playing as the agent makes me hate the sith so much I just can't bear to help him. "Sure, yeah, I'll bring about a sith reign of terror or whatever, sounds great." The character's way more fun if you aren't a sith stooge, I don't know why I'd take on a lord like that.

It only changes some dialogue, plus you'll get a special, short quest later on. The story otherwise unfolds as normal with that extra quest thrown in later and some dialogue being different - usually meaning Jadus is the dude calling your ship rather than Keeper or the Minister.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MikeyLikesIt posted:

First time going through the story, Sith Inquisitor/Sorcerer, when can I romance Darth Zash. No spoilers, pls, just finished Balmorra.

You can't, though she does want your body.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MikeyLikesIt posted:

Darth Zash.... :eyepop: Why couldn't we have a normal master-apprentice relationship rather than her LITERALLY WANTING MY BODY

e: [flirt] [shock her] [shock her] [flirt]

Because Sith.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rincewind posted:

Do any of the Jedi class stories portray the Dark Side as actually tempting and not just baby eating? Or at least make being a Dark Side Jedi as interesting as being a Light Side Sith?

No, not really. Jedi Consular is probably the better of the two if you want to go Dark Side - DS options as a Consular are generally about being coldly logical and pragmatic. But both Jedi stories were written with you being LS in mind and have nothing like the story differences for light-side Sith.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
KOTFE early access starts next week, doesn't it? If anyone still wants to get the titles from NiM EV/KP/EC, now's probably the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

sassassin posted:

I like that soresu form makes my jedi do that dumb pose Ewan Mcgregor does in Ep 3.

Beyond that I don't care about lightsaber stances.

Aren't lightsaber stances just "click stance appropriate to your spec, never click on a stance again unless you change spec" ?

• Locked thread