Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Fojar38 posted:

He is a hardass CO at the start of the Trooper storyline and because nerds are babies in this for a power fantasy they have never forgiven him

He's also a whiny bitch who expects everything to fall in his lap afterwards. Yeah you got demoted because guess what, you hosed up. Oh so now you're going to take it out on the imperial defector? Nah I'm promoting her instead of you, every time.

It's even worse because he's the fem!trooper romance option, and is just insufferable in it.

Not that any of the fem character romances aren't insufferable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I am coming back to this after a couple of years of break. I last played a few months before Revan-xpac was a thing.

Is there anyone willing to give me a brief on what has happened since?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Jan posted:

Play the story and find out? It's still accessible and nothing is "irreversible" like some WoW expansions were. (Unless you start Knights of the Fallen Empire, but they'll tell you that very clearly if you try to do so.)

I mean more mechanical changes, since I remember them talking back then about big sweeping changes to things like specs. Not plot info. I apologize that I was unclear.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

So it's not super interesting but I love Iresso. I got him today on my second (first one was retail first month of game being out) consular. And I had forgotten how easy he was to get influence with. Just accept missions, ask people if they need help, and be compassionate and bam. Iresso approves of this.

I took him with me from when I got him through the end of belsavis. Without a single gift and without any specifically fishing for influence, he is at 11 influence rank.

I was originally gonna ditch him and hang out with Nadia to actually play mentor, but it's tempting to just stick with him for this easy rear end influence.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

So I take back what I said about iresso.

"You spent thousands of years staring at... A wall? Bruhh"

No one who says Bruh can be respected.

He must be purged.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I wish Hallow Voice had been a proper companion to hang out with. He was rad.

The consular story is still as good as I remember. Just finished it up.

What's the proper in order post-story? Ilum -> Section X -> ??

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

/who hasn't been returning any goons when i play my consular, and I've been playing consistently for a week If anyone's around and wants to invite Liisi I would appreciate it.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 18, 2016

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I camr back to the game.because I realized that, after having purchased it like three months past release, I had never actually done any of the post-story planets, flashpoints, ops... Anything.

I'd never even done Ilum. And I had six level 50 characters. I got halfway through makeb on my agent and then quit.

So I made a consular, and said that until I saw every bit of content I'd denied myself (except ops probably) I won't make another alt.

It's hard to resist, I bought the togruta unlock today, and now I really wanna use it haha.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

JonathonSpectre posted:

I haven't logged in in about two weeks so my "TOR life" was just kind of a fog to me when I did yesterday. I'm an artificer who sells a lot of dye. So when I logged in and saw that I had sold something on the GTN I thought, "Oh, I must have put some dye up before I logged a couple of weeks ago."

"Someone has bought that frilly lightsaber you got out of a chance cube for 21,000,000 credits. Congratulations, you're rich, beeeeoch. Buy whatever you want."

That's a cool as gently caress thing to log back into btw. Now if only there was something I wanted to buy.

Do what I did on my bounty hunter, and buy a full set of mandalore armor for yourself, and a full set of another mandalorian armor for your companion.

Or do what my crazy friend on Begeren Colony did, and outfit your Sith Warrior with Revan's full set, Vette with Mission's full set, Jaesa with Bastila's full set, Quinn with Carth's full set, and Lieutenant Pierce with Canderous' whole set.

These might be a lot more expensive nowadays.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

1) They focus on companions that the majority really doesn't care about (Kaliyo, Jorgan, Gault)

This is the big thing that confuses me.

The only companion that people more vitrolicly hated than those three was Skadge, but jesus. I remember no matter how long past release it was, there was always a 'how do I kill kaliyo/jorgan/gault' thread in the class sections, or just a thread to bitch about them, on the official forums.

And it still continues to this day, with everyone wanting to kill Kaliyo and Jorgan in KotFE....

It honestly feels like whoever wrote those three got promoted and was pissy about everyone hating them.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Edit: ^^ The guild exists, but I generally am the only one on, and I'm not playing right now.

Trast posted:

I made Dorne the XO of Havoc Squad over Jorgan. Suffer no catpeople in command positions. :colbert:

I dislike Kaliyo because she reveals she has been actively sabotaging you, goes out of the way to insult the empire, and generally gets in the way, constantly disobeying orders, while also doing poo poo like being all 'lol let's kill civilians because funny'. It's the same reason I hate Skadge, because they are basically the exact same character.

I actually dislike Aric because of the promotion scene. When you look at peoples service records, Dorne has been an impeccable asset to the republic, she has been fully loyal, she is intelligent, and despite being treated like dirt for originally being an imperial, never strikes other people.

So if you pick her, Aric throws a hissy fit. Calls you a terrible boss and says you make terrible choices. Threatens to break up with you if you're romancing him.

I have no problem with him being a hard rear end. I have a problem with him being a racist entitled manchild over that decision. Yeah he later apologizes, but Jesus. Do you think any job in the world would let someone explode like that over not getting s promotion, and keep their job? Not even military, just any job at all.

I honestly don't remember Gault at all from my bounty hunter play through. He was amazing compared to Skadge though. Because everyone was. Even Aric is.

But seriously the only companion I would throw out a spaceship would be Skadge. Demote Aric, send Quinn to work on Hoth for the rest of his life, maybe punch Zenith in the face.

I do fully think that in a better game, you'd be able to tell companions you don't agree with/get along with to get off your ship, during the stories.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 19, 2016

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Cythereal posted:

To be a little fair to Jorgan, he was a lieutenant at the start of the game and got busted down to enlisted ranks because he was a convenient scapegoat for something he had nothing to do with. Dude's more than a little angry and bitter about that incident, and if you pick him for XO he says he considers it his redemption, earning his way back to his old position.

Generally you earn redemption through becoming a better person, not by acting like an entitled prick who cannot play nice with others. I would promoted Forex before Aric. Well, that's not fair, I would promote Forex before Dorne too. But Aric just annoys me. Instead of making him an actual hard rear end military man, they made him a whiny little jerk, who questions your authority.

Meanwhile actual military characters like Iresso, who hasn't been promoted in like 8 years according to his back story, is mostly acceptant of the fact that he is gonna stay that rank, and that it's worth it to fight along side the consular doing big things.

Aric does not think havoc squad is worth working with. Unless it furthers his career.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Can I apply the amazon KotFE bundle to an account that already exists? 40 bucks for 90 days of subscription and 2400 CC seems like a pretty good deal.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Medullah posted:

Once, yes.

Cool ,lets me use my 25 dollar credit for more than half of it.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

In terms of story, these are both my rankings in order of best to worst, as well as why.

IA has probably the best in terms of all three acts - act 2 is a little weaker, but not 'weak'. You get a big look at what non-force citizen life is like in the Empire.

Consular Act 1 is only good if you really like being able to be a big drat hero who saves everyone and everyone is in awe of, but acts 2 and 3 are probably my favorite story bits of any story.

Sith Warrior is really well done, especially if you don't stick to just Light or Dark, because you get a lot of neutral options that are 'i am gonna make you work for me' which is good.

Smuggler is amazing for the same reason, and is the only time I felt tempted to go dark side.

Trooper lets you play a tom clancy character. You get a look at what the republic military is like.

Inquisitor lets you play a... very sith Sith, but lacks a lot in terms of actual story and characters in my opinion.

Bounty Hunter starts really strong, and ends probably the weakest.

Jedi Knight is not bad it's just... very typical YA fantasy novel protagonist.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

sassassin posted:

Consular story:

Where did Yuon get that scary red lightsaber?

Yuon collects relics of all kinds, including Sith relics. She has the most extensive collection of Force-relics of any Jedi, so... yeah, not too odd for her to have that.

quote:

And did all that sacrificing of my strength have literally no effect on anything?

In the beta test, each time you chose to sacrifice your strength you got a stacking 15% debuff to all stats while in a Consular phase, to represent the difficulties of what you are doing, to a maximum of I believe 75%. This was stripped out by the time of release, because the original intention was 'if you're too weak to do it solo, bring a friend'... but people hated it. So now instead of nearly dying mechanically and being super weak, you just are story wise nearly dead for all of act 1. Kinda sucks, but I can see why they would change it.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

If you don't like being told you are the only X when you know lots of people have done the story and are running around, SWTOR is for you. Yeah. Not everything on the planets is phased, but the story can still tell you things and shoe you your results as time goes on, without it instantly being bad because other people have done it.

SWTOR is a single player story based RPG like Jade Empire, but split into 8 stories and that happens to have some group content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

sassassin posted:

It can, but it's bad when the things it tells you are directly and immediately contradicted by the game itself, in extremely obvious, unavoidable ways. Don't tell me I ended the war when the MMO requires that war wage on indefinitely.

In the Consular story I have been chosen to be a representative to some splinter group because of my past successes. This is good. Other people have done so, but there is no immediate visible contradiction.

Also in this story I have been made the once in a generation Bar...something of the order, because I am special and unique and was as strong in the force at 4 as some masters were at 14, which is hitting the nail so firmly on the head the whole house exploded around it. Roughly a third of all Jedi wandering around the temple at any one time have that title, and it is mechanically meaningless. They would lose nothing by leaving it out.

Good writing is for everyone. You don't have to be part of the in-crowd that it's "for" to get it.

But this is no different from any other story, except instead of thousands of people completing it worldwide in single player, you can play with each other. Do you really think making you less important would make the story better for you? Because uh, the number one thing WoW learned from ToR is that people react way better to being importsnt in the story.

Story wise you are the only consular, and you are teamed up with a trooper, a smuggler, and a knight to do all of your stories + end the war via the side quests. If you cant suspend your disbelief far enough to not throw a hissy fit about other people being as special as you, stop playing TOR right now, because it never changes. You just get made more and more unique as time goes on - the expansion's don't even assume there's multiple characters, no matter who you are, you are the single Savior of makeb, or the single defeater of Revan, or the singular Outlander.

• Locked thread