Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So much for anyone else getting referrals. :arghfist::smith:

Great OP though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

LazyDivey posted:

So if I buy the ewok merc do I just get it for one character? I like alts.

Don't bother since she will probably no longer be crazy good in KotFE.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Oh God, I could see this turning into a poor man's Goldmine if you post the blank conversation template...

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Jan posted:

Well as I called out earlier, do you have all the reward tiers yet? Apparently I'm 90 days old and able to grace another referral link.

I need one more. We really should just setup some sort of referral database chain where people get reminders every 90 days to use a code. It's basically free money, and all the decorations I get I've been donating to the Guild Hall, for the most part, because I don't really care about the Stronghold stuff until I can make an awesome underwater SH on Manaan or something weird like that.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Medullah posted:

I love the official forums. In response to companion gear becoming cosmetic -

Who the hell uses comms for this when you literally get free 192 gear for them?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Fried Sushi posted:

Tempted to pick up the expansion and get back into this, last played after Revan, burned myself out after the initial 12x XP boost plus caught up with other games over the summer. Has there been any content released since Revan worth running through before the new expansion comes out?

Ziost.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

http://www.swtor.com/user/ce/ailx3

Another NYCC code, in case that one runs out of uses. Pretty sure we have over 50 goons now.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I blew a hypercrate trying to get some Satele Shan pieces... honestly I don't even want the chestpiece, I just really wanted the boots because they look cool as hell. Ended up with a full set of Reaver, Series 614, and Advanced Slicer, plus another like 5 Reaver Upper body bits and a shitload of robot pants.

Weirdest part? Other than the Reaver Mask (which I will probably sell the entirety of both sets because I don't particularly care for Marr cosplay) and the chest, the most expensive things to come out of the crates was actually all of the furniture... the Ancient Horror statues are each worth a buttload, and I got like 5 of them. :sigh:

EDIT: Oh yeah and I got an Exar Kun chestpiece, and a couple of belts and gloves, if anyone wants those, either to buy for cheap (80% of GTN) or trade. And a few Blue Outline crystals (Eviscerating, War Hero, Indestructible) too. If anyone has a Mint Green crystal of any type other than War Hero, I am totally down to trade, if you want to.

EDIT2: Oh yeah and I got a buttload of Black and Orange dyes, if you want to get festive for Halloween! Seem to go for like 150k on GTN, so I'll sell em to you guys for cheap or if one of you fancy artificers can make me some cool black/blue/grey/green dyes, that'd be cool too.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Oct 9, 2015

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Hulk Smash! posted:

Every character will now get that stuff.

You can click a link every 90 days provided you are unsubscribed for a period during that time. I forget how long exactly.

E: unsubscribed for at least 90 days it turns out.

I think may not be true since I've been subbed since June and was able to click someone's link last week.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

CobiWann posted:

Ok, so I blitzed through Korriban doing nothing but class missions and I’m hitting the Imperial Fleet at level 15. Whoa.

When do I start getting basic comms to fill out my orange adaptive gear? On Dormund Kaas?

Sounds about right. Always take the 12 comms.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Shamelessly shilling my referral for the new thread... you people coming back, please clicky:

http://www.swtor.com/r/TkMbdV

I want free money and you want free poo poo! Everyone wins! :pcgaming:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

AlmightyBob posted:

Why is the only way to not level too fast to make the game boring to go to fleet (can't until level 7) and get an item that turns it off for only 8 hours? Why isn't it an option in the preferences?

Because why edit the UI for something that is only temporary for a specific subset of players? I don't get how this is a serious question.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Shaquin posted:

The Operative path for agent might be the most impressively synchronous gameplay to narrative experience I've ever had in an MMO

Except for always using a pistol when in combat you use a rifle.

Seriously, I wish you could just use a blaster pistol as an Operative... I'd LOVE to just run around with a pistol and a knife, kicking rear end as Space James Bond.

In other news, I said SUB OR SCRUB to some dude whining about credit limits in Fleet chat just a little while ago, and the pubs thought I was some sort of catchphrase messiah and I got like 5 PMs telling me to start a guild named that and they would join. It's kinda hilarious that that phrase is new to them.

pentyne posted:

Well once I get paid on Friday I'm gonna resub to this game for the first time since the SoR expansion launched. Looking forward to running the solo content and running SM raids.

One thing I'm not clear on, the "outlander" is just the PC you're using at lvl 60, right? It's not a completely new class that starts at 60?

Also I'm gonna be hot garbage at this game for a week until I figure out how it works. Are the current Dulfy guides still going to be good when KoTFE hits or will it be a clusterwhoopsie until the new rotations are figured out?

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Rep...he+old+republic

How does this work if you already have SoR? Is it just a cheap alternative to monthly subs and a bonus 2400 CC?

I dunno, but I bought the SoR Amazon pack in June and then bought the KotFE pack 3 days ago, and the code worked just fine so I got a nice injection of credits and a few more months added to my sub for cheap. Also, please do click on a goon referral link before/after you sub. Here's one:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

pentyne posted:

Last time I logged in I had somewhere in the realm of 20 million credits, is there anything to spend it all on? I usually picked small stuff up off the cartel market, like saber crystals and some cosmetic gear that wasn't too expensive but I don't really enjoy the idea of blowing it all on hypercrates unless I get in on the ground floor and flip them for a 3x profit.

Give it to me, and I'll take care of it for you. :shepspends:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Rafzakael posted:

finally hit 60

i am excite for expansion

You have Social exp.

YOU DID IT WRONG. :colbert:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Giant Ethicist posted:

To clarify, it's the Enforcer's Eyeguard from the vendor in the Bazaar. Only needs Outsider, though, which is pretty easy to get. Just 2400 credits too.

Use the Contraband Vending Machine in the Guild Ship, you can get Outside in literally like 20 minutes.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

You don't need a certificate for the eyepatch. All you need is Outsider rep and like 2600 credits.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

Ok yeah, this was way easier than I was making it out to be. Got outsider rep in like 2 pulls of the slot machines, lol. Perhaps buying 50 chips was a tad overkill

Max out the rep. The Titles are cool and there's a set on there that has awesome boots and gloves if you like the 1800s Russian infantry look.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

I am very interested in that. Which set is this?

Just go look at the vendor jesus christ.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Agent is the best Imperial storyline because it's written with the pragmatic get-poo poo-done mindset as a major option. With the Warrior and Consular I've found if you don't go to the cartoonish evil side it's easy to be shoehorned into your character saying poo poo like "I'm secretly light side but need to fool the Sith to bring them down from within"

Nah, LS Warrior pretty much owns the fact that he/she is Sith and the Republic is terrible, they just do it in such a way as to make the Jedi wonder how they can be so hypocritical. I mean, it makes total sense, since the Jedi actively eradicated the Sith for disagreeing with their narrow and dogmatic interpretation of how the Force should be used... it's a theme the movies don't touch on at all (maybe they would touch on it if they ever made movies of Episodes 1-3, seems like something that could be brought up in Episode 3, if there was a movie made of it) but it's sort of at the core of Star Wars and is just given a pass... the Jedi just balck and white say that the Sith method of doing things is wrong and dangerous, and should be avoided and forgotten and you should stick your head in the sand and go, "lalalalala I can't hear you talking about emotions." It's one of the biggest flaws to Star Wars' lore if you take it at face value, but the SW storyline (and the SI in some places) specifically punch holes in it by demonstrating that you CAN be in touch with your emotions and still be a rational and well-balanced individual, without just eschewing all semblance of self and giving up personal ties.

It would be worse if the LS storylines basically had you being all objective and logical and not being emotional at all, like the Jedi, but thankfully they aren't. Dark Side JK thus far is kind of the flipside of that... you're not a horrible baby-eating monster, but you take that objectiveness and lack of attachment too far in the sense that you literally just stop giving a poo poo about people and pursue a very "ends justifies the means" mindset, although there are a lot of places where it falls flat and you really do just turn into an rear end in a top hat for the sake of being an rear end in a top hat, mainly when it comes to revenge or pretty much any conversation you have with a Sith.

It's pretty great how they didn't fall into the usual Bioware black and white traps, though, and actually deconstructed a lot of the Jedi/Sith mythos while still keeping you ascribing to that particular viewpoint on either side. It's one of the reasons that I kinda feel like the SW storyline is on par with the Agent storyline, but for different reasons... Agent is amazing for all the variation and choice, and the scope of what you're doing and how it's told. SW is great simply because the actual subject matter and the way the plot builds over the course of the three acts is just amazing, and it really turns a lot of the SW cliches on their ear.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Eimi posted:

You aren't entirely dedicated to bringing the Sith down from within, but you are pretty much cast as a good person, rather than just pragmatic or what have you. It does work best if you view your motivation as more change the Empire and make it less lovely, I certainly don't see the LS war as a double agent or someone who wants to be a Jedi. I guess I like that aspect of a person born in a darker place and working to make it better for themselves and other people, rather than just trying to defect to some place better. Think of it as being a noble who actually buys into the idea of the nobility, the whole "The highest distinction is service to others."

This is why Darth Marr is awesome, because he's LS as all gently caress. Marr basically is the LS Sith Warror, something he even sort of points out if you're an LS SW and do the SoR stuff... he specifically says that you're not that much different from him, and he knew the two of you would see eye to eye when he calls you the Empire's Wrath.

Cythereal posted:

I think the Inquisitor dwells on this more. If you're light-side, you can talk at length to the guy on Alderaan about how the Jedi Code forbids anger and hatred, true, but also joy and love. They can be dangerous, true, but that's what the sense of judgment and wisdom everyone else in the galaxy uses is for. The LS Inquisitor gets actively called out on her alignment by other Sith repeatedly through the story, too, but can always point out that the Sith Code is a doctrine of freedom, not evil or selfishness. It's a philosophical point Star Wars rarely considers, but towards the end of the Inquisitor story the main antagonist recites part of the Sith Code: "Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power. Through power I gain victory."

He leaves it there, but one option is for the Inquisitor to remind him of the rest: "Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall free me."

The Warrior always acts like they have to hide their light-side nature, but the Inquisitor can be open about it and discuss it philosophically with other Sith. And most other Sith even accept the LS Inquisitor's argument and demonstration that restraint is not always weakness.

Or as Ashara puts it: "There is passion, but there is peace. There is strength, but there is knowledge. There is power, but there is serenity. There is victory, but there is harmony. There is freedom, but there is the Force."

Yeah, the SW overall has the vibe, but in several places (particularly LS SI conversations with Ashara) the SI straight up breaks the Star Wars paradigm over its knee, and it's one of the reasons I don't get why people are so sore on the SI storyline, but I guess you'd miss all that if you play DS because hoooooly poo poo DS SI is a cartoonish psychopath. :allears:

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 13, 2015

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

FordPRefectLL posted:

Darth Marr threw some mad shade at my DS Inquisitor.

Yeah, he was a total rear end in a top hat to my DS SI, and it was hilarious. I really want to plow through SI again with an LS one, partly because I want a Sorc and partly because I just wanna see that storyline again.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Medullah posted:

HAhaha is it sad that I figured it would be either that scene or Large Marge?

He beat me to the punch, I was looking up that same video clip, haha. But yeah, I thought of those two things immediately, as well.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Fojar38 posted:

For all the handwringing about emotions and the suppression thereof the Jedi are still correct that light-side is the way to go and that the dark side is bad and uncool. You don't even need to approach it from a moral standpoint so much as the fact that the competent choices that lead to long-term success are light side ones.

The problem is that Jedi != Light Side and Sith != Dark Side. They're 4 different things.

Light Side = Choosing others over yourself, pursuing balance, being fair, being merciful, forgiving.

Dark Side = Being selfish, choosing power above all else and at the expense of others, using/abusing/killing others for personal gain, being vengeful, being greedy, holding grudges.

Jedi = Eschewing emotion and personal attachments in order to stave off corruption and more easily follow the Light Side. The Force can only be accessed through strict discipline and self control.

Sith = Giving in to your emotions and through them accessing the Force.

The former two are mutually exclusive, the latter two are mutually exclusive, but the two pairs can cross in any combination. Jedi/Sith is like the dichotomy between Vulcans/Humans in Star Trek... Vulcans are all about self control and lack of emotions because they're inherently extremely emotional and their blood runs hot. Humans embrace their emotions and often use their gut or emotional reasons to justify their actions. Even in Star Trek, there are both good and evil humans and Vulcans.

YES I REFERENCED STAR TREK IN A STAR WARS THREAD. gently caress YOU. :arghfist::smug:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Medullah posted:

Well the gear won't become completely useless, they did say that it's going to become player usable after the patch hits.

This is why I grabbed a DPS set + weapon on all my people... free upgrade to 192.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

GuyUpNorth posted:

Thana's boss on Quesh is not "eat babies and kick puppies", so he possibly counts. He's somewhat like Marr in that as long as problem's solved, it's fine.

There's one that shows up in the BH storyline that wasn't so bad, either, but I can't remember his name. I feel like all of the Imperial stories have at least one chill Sith except for Agent, where they're all over the top fucktarded and ridiculous, mostly to highlight and emphasize the fact that the Sith are running the Empire into the ground.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Cythereal posted:

Eh... Darth Tormen is still a bloodthirsty bastard who kills people on a whim for the slightest hint of incompetence or disloyalty. And the fucker force choked Blizz.

Wasn't talking about him.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

My personal goal is to punch a rancor in the dick.

And I achieved it. With fire.

:3: Powertech :3:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Please to be using referral code to be giving me money and getting free things, people who is coming back.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Hulk Smash! posted:

For those worried about spoilers, it's about a KOFTE companion (name + mechanic). Not a big spoiler but if you want to stay ~*pure*~ don't mouse over it.

If you play this game with goons, you can never be pure again. Never!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Turk posted:

I'm using WinAuth after my phone broke. Granted it does kinda defeat the idea I suppose. But it works.

Edit-missed seeing Mercurius recommend it as well.

The idea is stupid, though. I really doubt anyone wants to steal your dumb MMORPG account, particularly when they'd have to know the email address it's linked to. I feel like the Security Key thing is a throwback to LAN bars and LAN parties, I can't imagine actually having my account threatened in any way.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I want a Manaan SH, dammit. Either a dome thing floating on the water, or a kickass underwater lab. Or both, with an elevator linking them.

I hope KotFE makes use of Manaan more... it's a cool planet that's barely utilized at all with the SoR prelude stuff.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

General Maximus posted:

So I was looking at the starter pack bundle Amazon has (the $40 one that's been mentioned in here a few times already) and I'm tempted but it's only available to people in the States. Why? It's a loving digital download, you get a code in an email. Why in the everloving gently caress does it or should it matter one tiny bit where you are? WTF, Amazon?

To prevent people buying a code for the wrong region and then crying about it. I'm sure some goon can grab it for you.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

sassassin posted:

They wanted to design a vehicle system but just copied every other vehicle system in mmos line for line instead of thinking about their own game for two seconds and attaching a sidecar to the speeder.

I think it's more because there's too much variability with the companions. Rigging Forex, Blizz, T7, Doctor Lokin, etc to every speeder somehow on top of the existing stuff would be a fuckload of work.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Did someone say... dress up?

DRESS UP?!

DRESS UP?!?!

Dress up.

I'd be interested in the competition, though I don't care that much about getting Togruta unlocked, though I wouldn't mind it... kinda interested in getting COOL poo poo too... could I enter into both?

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Oct 16, 2015

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Hulk Smash! posted:

Only one entry per person :) Pick which one you want and send an email to Xodiac with your choice and I'll enter you into that one.

BTW, in case people didn't know, you wouldn't have to star a new character to enjoy Togruta (though you could). Just go to an appearance designer to change your species to it and you're good to go.

Figured, now I have to decide which of those three is best... :ohdear:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

It just needs to be the Fleet idle stance to make 90% of people happy. Make it change to generic when you're in combat.

According to that Wiki link, the default stance for Guardians is the lovely, not useful in real combat baby Jedi stance.

The run animation for them is the worst part. Jugg just looks so much better it's not even a contest.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Cythereal posted:

Aren't lightsaber stances just "click stance appropriate to your spec, never click on a stance again unless you change spec" ?

Yes, and I wish they would change this in 4.0 so that each spec could maybe use two stances (other than tank stances) so you'd have a little more variation in what you want to do. Then again the stances pretty much all boil down to:

Tank
DoT
Burst
Heal
Weird burst hybrid with movement speed or Alacrity that's clearly for PvP

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I'm disappointed that KotFE is a single storyline. :smith:

I had been under the impression that unlike RotHC and SoR it would actually continue your specific class storylines, and thus was basically 8 new storylines that each play out differently within the context of the overall expansion. In fact, I assumed that was the reason they were making such a huge loving deal about all the storyline stuff and not adding in any FPs and Ops, because they were making literally 8 stories.

What a bummer. No wonder they're giving it away free to subscribers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Cythereal posted:

Unfortunately that pretty well went away with vanilla. Bioware said in one stream that they regard the 1-50 storyline as the origin story for your character.

That really sucks. Was hoping there'd be an Act 4 to every class storyline at some point, like maybe you find out what happens to Darth Jadus if you told him to gently caress off, or one of the other major villains if they managed to not die at the end of your main storyline.

It'd totally be doable, and I feel like it would be something most players of this game would really be into, but apparently not. :(

• Locked thread