Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew
I'm still convinced that Season 3 will hold up much better upon binge-watching. I think it was just so little content between episodes that it made the show seemingly drag. That, plus the stumbling flashbacks, I think will improve with bingeing. At least I hope so. I have high hopes for this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
So much better than the Flash premier. Really great premier all around with happy Oliver, give-no-fucks Dig, actually including Thea and Laurel, fun Felicity, and Neal McDonough is seriously amazing. So glad this show is back. (The grave is totally Dig's.)

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
I thought that was a really, really good episode. Like, end of Season 2-quality, in my opinion. The Ollie/Lance living room argument was amazing and both have been killing it so far this season. So excited to see John Constantine next episode even though I know absolutely nothing about him.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES

hcreight posted:

Constantine the show had its moments and Matt Ryan was probably the best thing about it so he should make for a good guest star. He'll also fit in with the more bantery tone they've been going for this year.

What is exactly is Constantine's shtick, then? Like he can transfer the souls of the dead or something supernatural like that? Matt Ryan does seem awesome and his accent sounds like the best part.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
I'm just kinda worried that the crossover will be so focused on setting up LoT that there won't be a whole lot of actual Arrow/Flash content to the episode. Hopefully I'm wrong, though. Image is hype, though.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES

Aphrodite posted:

Wow I'm shocked. Anyone else shocked?

I'm very shocked. This season has been pretty much flawless since the beginning.

I was a little sour on the episode at first because I thought Bamford was being a little over the top with his directing - a bunch of swooping around during a conversation, for instance - and I thought the camera work during the shipping container fight was just unbearable, I realized how absolutely amazing the fight work was and I actually just want to rewatch the fight scenes today, something I've never done with an Arrow episode. Let the guy direct more, I say.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES

Onean posted:

It's good, but I wouldn't go so far as to say great. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. has been outstanding this season and last, and this week's episode was amazing. Watching Agents first in a week with Flash and Arrow later when they're up on CW's site has tempered my enjoyment of the latter two a little. Still fun to watch and I still want to watch as soon as they're up, but not to the point I get with Agents.

Trust me, I'm fully aware of how amazing that episode was. It's honestly probably the best Shield episode there's been, but I don't know, I still fee like they're two separate shows and they're hard to compare sometimes because they're going for different vibes. I still feel like both shows have had absolutely amazing starts so far and I'm so happy that this show is at/above what it used to be before season 3.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
So can we assume that Merlyn would bring back Vandal Savage to give him the secret to immortality now the Lazarus Pit is broken? I was actually hoping Vandal Savage was actually gone and Legends simply took place in the first (fourth) timeline. Stephen Amell isn't on the Wikipedia cast list for Legends of Tomorrow so I thought it'd be pretty cool if the show was a separate timeline free of the show.

I thought the crossover was a lot of fun this year. Flash's seemed a lot more fun, though, with some really cool action scenes. I just wish the Arrow writers didn't feel so absolutely obligated to insert so much drama into the show. Like, I feel like that's not why people watch this show.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
That wasn't Firefly in the trailer, was it? I remember liking him in season 1 but I feel like they really could have done something much bigger with the character.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
I think my favorite part of the trailer is when Ollie is running to the right and then immediately transforms into a bike going 60+ mph.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Thought that episode was really good. Can't think of anything that was bad. Flashbacks tied into the main storyline well and with Oliver's flashback story, Goth Felicity, Felicity and Oliver's exchanges were really great ("THE OLD ME WOULD HAVE SNAPPED JOINER'S NECK."), Waller's death , Andy and John, Overwatch and Spartan being used.

Show's back to where it used to be, I think.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
The lighter tone is in the grave.

Great episode all around. Loved having Malcolm revert to his Season 1 supervillain scream-voice for a second or two.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES

TyrantWD posted:

Someone on of the 4chan threads posted some clips of the Season 1 fights, and it's amazing just how poor the action scenes have become.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK8vO9yYfjE

Why can't we go back to that Arrow? This Felicity & friends show we have now with fight scenes that consist of people pairing up and twirling around without making contact is really dull. Oliver is never going to get to go on adventures to other Earths, or save the timeline from being wiped from existence, so let's get back to the sociopathic vigilante who was dropping bodies all over town - at least that was fun. With Flash and LoT being light-hearted and goofy, it's fine for Arrow to be dark and brutal.

I think the problem with the fight scenes lately is that all of them take place in empty rooms. Like the rooftop fight, the fights in warehouses, etc. What's great about this fight scene is that there's other stuff in the room and the fight actually has gravity and weight when they crash into the vase or the table or the ground. The newer fights have none of this so they just seem so plain. The Anarky fight had a little bit of this with the bookcase but it can be so much better. And I have to imagine its due to the extremely low budget that they can't just waste money on a vase to crash into because it has to go somewhere else.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES

Warmachine posted:

It was really kinda dumb. Felicity is really kinda dumb. She's the cancer killing this show.

I wasn't really into the idea that she was in the grave - I kinda assumed it was either her or Diggle, but Dig was my main guess - but I wouldn't mind it at all anymore. It's clear the writers don't know what to do with her anymore and I think it'd be a great move for the show to have Curtis slide right into the tech expert slot, but he can bring a bit more into the field as well.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES

Narcissus1916 posted:

Just watched this week's episode.

Did the stunt coordinator just not show up or something? Atrocious action scenes. Damien Dahrk just Vader'ed really hard and when he did throw a punch you could clearly see the stunt double multiple times. Also some hilarious bits with the rest of the cast, with me spotting one soldier being touched by Thea and immediately went flying.

This got me interested, and I looked up the crew on IMDB. Looks like Bamford wasn't even a part of this episode, and yeah, by God it shows. Every fight scene looked piss poor, unfortunately. I'm not sure exactly why you wouldn't have your head stunt choreographer on every episode unless he has some sort of obligation that he can't make it the week they're shooting. It's definitely noticeable when he's gone.

ShakeZula posted:

The truly sad thing is they were given this blueprint by that S1 or S2 villain whose (largely successful) strategy was to have more goons on hand than Ollie had arrows.

That guy was the coolest. I don't remember what his name was, but I remember the actor well and thought he was a really well done villain. I think he got killed so we'll never see him again, but I remember when I was watching that his "more goons than arrows" gimmick was actually pretty smart. I mean, Ollie could have just fought some with his bow, but back then I don't think he did that as much.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
The more I think about Oliver just absolutely chumping Malcolm last episode, the more I realize that he's pretty much outclassed every single enemy we've seen thus far. Which makes me really hope that we get like Lady Shiva or Cassandra Cain or someone else extremely talented at fighting so he'll actually have some trouble again. Doubt it'll happen, though.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Might have been the worst episode of Arrow yet. Jesus Christ.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Next episode is going to be the worst episode of Arrow.

The only thing that could possibly save it for me is if they just play off how dumb the whole premise is and have fun with it. Get rid of the Felicity poo poo (I know, I know) and just go hogwild with bee puns and jokes. Make Oliver just absolutely indifferent to what's going on. "I defeated two Ra's al Ghuls, help stop an immortal tyrant dictator, and defeated a mirakuru super soldier and his super soldier army, and now I'm fighting a girl who can control bees? I'm done."

This will not happen and this episode will be incomparably unbearable.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
I didn't watch this episode because I was pretty sure it was going to suck really hard.

Clearly I made the wrong decision.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Man, I've been an advocate for this show for a while now, and honestly, I think if I were to ever suggest watching this show to anyone, I'd say to just stop after Ra's kills Ollie and call it quits. I'll finish off this season, but unless they can promise some really awesome element to season five, I think I'm done. I've always had this show's back, but honestly, it's getting harder and harder. Flash, too. Well, CW DC shows, it was good while it lasted.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES

Aphrodite posted:

They cast Chad Coleman (Tyrese on the Walking Dead, Cutty on the Wire) as what sounds like next season's big bad.

This and the fact that supposedly they'll have the "meanest and most violent one shot fight scene in network tv history" directed by Bamford really makes me hyped for this season but I absolutely know I shouldn't. Goddamn it Arrow.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES

Aphrodite posted:

I wonder if he'd seen Game of Thrones yet by then.

It's hard to top a guy getting bodychecked by a horse.

HBO doesn't count, though, right? Cause no matter what it'd be up against Daredevil as well, and it'd obviously lose that. The article basically only brought up SHIELD.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
I just looked up Jimmy Akingbola, the guy who played Reiter in the flashbacks, and I think it's a testament to the writing of this show that they can take an award-winning theater actor who starred in a play opposite Ian loving McKellen and make him the most stilted, uninteresting "villain" of any show on TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Yeah Flash is the 4th, Arrow the 5th, Legends the 6th, and Supergirl the 10th.

I am hoping so hard that this season will be good. But I'm also hoping that if the start is good, it stays that way. Season 3 and Season 4 were both fantastic before the break and that's where it all went bad.

• Locked thread