Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

I'm gonna buy so many decorations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

Cyron posted:

I blame wooden potatoes for the downfall of this game. he have the ears of the dev and he seem to be more concern of having gw2 be super gw1 and ripping apart everything that made gw2 good. now with raids, "the grind" and flair to mark the Jews noobs I feel like heart of thorns was made to impress the guy who said "pve that isn't poo poo" at pax south. and their loving up at it.

but this is my irrational thought.

If not him directly, then others like him with this attitude. There's always a crowd rooting for MMOs to be more exclusive, more difficult, and more timesink intensive. It doesn't matter if the game is nothing of that sort to begin with: they'll call for it to be more hardcore anyways. What happens if they get their wish? Well, Wildstar was explicitly tailored to their fantasies, and it bombed because very few people actually will do and enjoy that kind of content. Wildstar's developers have been spending a lot of time and money trying to backpedal from this failed model, and it only cements the fact that spending too much time appeasing these people is a bad idea.

GW2 isn't just making the mistake of humoring these types, they've suddenly changed the game's entire model to fall in line with their demands. Big timesinks, high difficulty, and lots of exclusivity were never central features of the game until now, and it's giving most players terrible whiplash.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
I gave raids a shot, but it just reminded me of the stressful stuff I left behind in WoW. Not for me.

On another note, you can find the darndest things at the flax farm.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
Oh boy, the forums are back!

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

Visidan posted:

I got some ~HoT~ gossip from an insider. WvW overhaul late feb, early march.

What about guardian warhorn?

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

Trebuchet King posted:

it's like you got eschergirls in my SA.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
Usually this game is so excellent at having minimal downtime. I wonder what's going on.

In the meanwhile, I found this link that showcases a lot of guild hall decorations. Those latticed plants are sooo pretty.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

3 years later we finally get a new hairstyle I want on my cat and of course something about it fucks up your eyeballs

Rox has competition.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

Mercury_Storm posted:

After months of not playing due to the whole HoT debacle, I logged in to do the Christmas quests and noticed I had a black lion chest key. Opened it and to my surprise got a Permanent Hair Stylist Contract! Not sure what I'm going to do with this cause I don't even have the gold for the AH listing fees. Apparently people will buy these for up to $100 on mmo trading sites but that seems kind of insane.

If you don't want to keep it, then I'd be happy to buy it. No listing fees, and the trading post wouldn't take a cut. Interested in making a deal?

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
Don't expect hair kits or similar items to go on sale with any regularity. Most sales are new items or temporarily returning items; discount sales are much rarer. I think it's been over a year since additional character slots went on sale, for example.

Me, I bought the infinite use hair stylist contract from Mercury_Storm instead of waiting and waiting on that. I wish it was a luxury more people could afford.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

Alteisen posted:

What was wrong with the old system? :stare:

There were awkward waiting periods if a guild was partway through a guild puzzle by the time your guild arrived. Some guild challenges are incredibly easy to goof with a different group of people not following directions, so the arrival of another guild during a challenge tended to be bad. Instancing those had benefits, but the transition has been incredibly buggy.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

Lordshmee posted:

Anyone else in GOON playing a character in their late 40s? At the rate I'm going I'll see 80 in under a month. Meantime, if anyone else is leveling up give Enigmatic Shmee a whisper if you see me online, generally late afternoons EST.

Did you notice the level scaling? High level characters can participate and earn rewards anywhere, so there's no need for partners to be lowbies.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

Erdricks posted:

Anyone have a copy of the Chauncy pic that shows his delightfully textured anus? I'm not reinstalling for it, but I have a pressing need to show it to a friend.

Here ya go.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
The new raid wings are being released at an embarrassingly slow rate, and I say this as a person that doesn't even raid. Doesn't WoW release raid wings in 2-week increments? (LFR mode excluded)

Edit: HoT in general seems like an exercise in the developers desperately trying to buy more time by delaying implementations of content. It's a real bummer, and it casts a pall over an otherwise delightful game.

Forsythia fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 12, 2016

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

Lyer posted:

Not really, wow raids take months to release and LFR content is generally existing content that's been adjusted once the "hardcores" have burned through it.

I mean when they release a raid proper, whether in a major content patch or an expansion launch, the wings get rolled out in two-week increments. (LFR mode gets the content delayed in longer intervals) Then when all the wings are exhausted, the players need to wait for the next major content patch or expansion launch. Did I get that schedule wrong?

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

jerkstore77 posted:

I'm a returning player from before the expansion. I was under the impression that the expansion only affected end game stuff and that the base game was unchanged. Yet, I've noticed that it isnt letting me chat without upgrading and it also isnt letting me sell items on the auction either. Am I missing something?

Are you on a free to play account?

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

ApeHawk posted:

What happens when we run out of dragons?

Do we go to space?

My guess is that we won't run out of dragons. There's six dragons, and three and a half years later, we've only killed two. If they're going to dole them out one per expansion, then by the time we're a couple more dragons in, GW2 itself will be getting long in the tooth. If that is indeed how they'll be handled, GW2 may not even get to them all.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
Oh, it's just an image I found. If I were making it, it would have wings instead of the quiver. And that one hairdo with a flower in it. (Do human male Thieves exist?)

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

hawk wing gliders in the gemstore yessss

The fastest gem store purchase ever.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

How sumptuous! :swoon: Arenanet may make some questionable design decisions, but they've always had gorgeous landscapes.

CommaToes posted:

So I bought this game a couple years ago and played the starting zone of each race before not playing it for a couple years. I was considering getting back into it and starting again, but I am not sure why the OP's image on races is so gung-ho about Humans. Is there a mechanical reason or just personal preference?

It's an in-joke. Racial abilities don't matter. Use whatever has the voice and appearance you like best.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I honestly think anet regrets giving thief dual pistols. They clearly want thief to be powerful in melee but less of a threat at ranged combat. There's no other reason to be pointedly buffing melee autoattacks and ignoring shortbow/pistols.

Shortbow at least has excellent utility. If they really are stumbling over thieves being effective in ranged combat, they need to give mainhand pistol utility too.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

Baron Von Pigeon posted:

Another SFD world first in ugly loving trophies to "decorate" our guild hall.

What is that thing? It looks like a slice of a giant banana.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

HUGS

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

Moa wings?!

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Thank you for the present Dash, now I can combine bees and gold and fire and big-rear end wings in ways like never before

But bees are weak to fire... :ohdear:

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
Sloth grubs? :stare:

On the note of strange GW2 monsters, one of the artists showed off renders of his work on HoT. There's so many unused models, and lots of them are spooky mordrem designs. Wonder how many of them were cut and how many of them are for future content.

Forsythia fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Feb 20, 2016

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

NapoleonAtWaterloo posted:

This is the coolest poo poo.

It's like it was made for you.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

CLAM DOWN posted:

If we had dignity we wouldn't be on something awful

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
Here's hoping that the push for transparency sticks. Coming from WoW to this game, I was surprised at how opaque Arenanet's process is compared to Blizzard's. I doubt Arenanet will ever be as transparent as Blizzard, but anything that improves the current model is welcome. It's really weird to wait months for a patch when you only know two concrete things about it (there is a new raid wing and there is a sloth boss in it). It's also weird to have controversial, possibly broken content sitting for months with no indication of whether it's working as intended.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
The Guild Trek went to a spot I wasn't expecting.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
Dulfy kindly posted a summary of the AMA. It's huge. Here's some major things that caught my eye.

On WvW posted:

When we made the new borderlands we planned to be able to switch between it and the previous map, perhaps by round, or perhaps by ‘season’. But the tech to support that on-the-fly swap never worked; we kept thinking it shouldn’t be that hard, because we can redirect people to/from PVE and PVP maps with simple configuration changes. (One big problem is the overworld map can’t dynamically update). We didn’t mean to get into a place where there was only the new map but unfortunately we did.

On armor and outfits posted:

It take about ten times the dev effort to make an armor set as to make an outfit.

On the Living World posted:

Living World should come back around the time of the July quarterly update.

On dungeons posted:

We didn’t need to nerf dungeons like that. But we also don’t have a dungeons team to keep dungeons updates. So that’s the dilemma. We have no current plan to staff a dungeons team; no free developers to staff one with.

On fractals posted:

New fractals are still in early prototype state and won’t be ready for Q2.

On splitting skills in PvE and PvP posted:

We are not fully against skill splitting between the different game modes but it adds a lot of overhead to every balance and design decision. While it does give you another tool box it does lead to optimizing skills heavily for each game type which does make power creep.Its on the table and it’s something we may use in the future

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
I think that if they went back and refurbished an old dungeon or made new dungeons, it would bring more scrutiny to the neglected state they're currently in. There would be a lot of pressure to revamp, and that would take time, money, and staff pulled from other projects/new staff.

It's a lot easier to spend those resources on a separate project without those associations. Even if said project is pretty much just a dungeon by another name.

There's no excuse for letting the nerfed rewards sit there, though. Revert the gold bonus or increase the dungeon tokens earned, it can't be that difficult.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
Who's hungry?

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
The WvW team is considering reverting the desert borderlands into the alpine borderlands.

Mike O' Brien posted:

As we said in the AMA, our top internal priorities have been population balance and rewards. From this thread, your top five priorities are, in order:
1. Stability & skill balance
2. Fix or revert DBL
3. Rewards
4. Population balance
5. Scoring

Yes, we will take the feedback and make stability, general skill balance, and fixing/reverting DBL our top priorities. We’re not currently working on scoring and that has to be a longer-term project.

Karl is working specifically on WvW-focused skill balance. He’s looking for the wins for WvW that don’t screw the rest of the game.

We’re investigating whether to fix or revert DBL. They’re both a lot of work. These next couple days will be your last chance to give feedback before we make a decision, so speak now or forever hold your peace.

I want to reiterate that everything we work on either ships in April or starts beta-testing on Live servers in April. We’re locking down dev work for the April release soon — next up is localization, QA, integration and regression testing — but we’ll extend the deadline for WvW skill balance.

There is one thing that doesn’t need to get wrapped up into the April release: Friday night resets. That doesn’t require a Live build. We’ll do it.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

Sprite141 posted:

Hey guys, what collections reward ascended armor boxes? I know that the luminescent armor collection does, but is that it? I'm trying to find easier ways of getting the expensive light ascended armor.

Here's all the ones I know of. They're all time consuming.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

I'm dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

Cyron posted:

why do asura's have a small tail?

Vestigal tail nub.

• Locked thread