Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

I think I saw this guy, or his alt, spouting on about being a Freeman a month ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Make us whole, Tivac.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I've been struggling in Verdant Brink on both a Necro and a Guardian, and I don't even want to think about what's going to happen to my squishier alts. Should I be stocking up on specific runes and sigils, or moving away from running all 'zerker, all the time?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
POS ISP had a stroke during the legendary wyvern phase of the Itzel village chain. Both of us were dead by the time I could reach the login server again.

On the bright side, I've got gliding and itzel 1, and I'm better than halfway to gliding 2.

On the dark side, Rogers Communications can choke on a bucket of dicks.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

poo poo dude, get Teksavvy, if you can get Rogers you can get Teksavvy. So much better than that bucket of dicks.

I would, but my living situation is hosed up and I'm poor enough that the thought of buying a modem I might only get a couple of months use from stings. :(

Not as much as a router upstream crapping out at the tail end of Tequatl tonight though. Blarg.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Kassad posted:

They said this last week:

And the first wing of the raid is meant to become available "in mid-November", so probably next week. Once can hope there'll be a bunch of bug fixes released at the same time.

I can just imagine the shrieks if they fix that veteran spider spawn in Verdant Brink. I swear, there was a steady stream riding the shrooms up there the other night while I was following the hylek chain.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know if those 'pact scout mapping material' consumables you buy from those mastery-locked Central Tyria merchants actually do anything? I bought one today, figuring some extra XP for map completion/mastery grinding would be nice... and as far as I can tell, it was just a bag with a single tiny claw in it.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Probad posted:

It gives you progress toward the new map bonus rewards, which you normally get by doing events. If you open the map and hover over a name like Malchor's Leap, you'll see what you'll get next and what other things you might get after that. Each pact thing should get you one reward.

Durf. I totally misunderstood their purpose. Thanks!

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

kater posted:

I like grinding spiders. More than most of the game. It provides a measurable reward, in discrete bursts, doesn't try to engage me on anything but a gameplay level, and is actually kind of challenging and fun when you are doing it on your own.

I tried grinding spiders once, because nobody else was progressing the Itzel event chain. Granted, stealing wyvern eggs is a stupid bastard of an event, especially if you don't have shroom hopping unlocked, but I digress. In two minutes of sorting out tactics from scratch I was cursed at, called a retard, and reminded that it wasn't the content that made me quit prior MMOs, it was the angry children of all ages that infested them.

I can understand the draw though, don't get me wrong. Even without boosters, those buggers are worth a fair hunk of XP and they respawn fast. I definitely get the appeal of fast XP and personal challenge, it's a lot better than event payouts, but it's mobbed with the kind of people who go into a WoW dungeon and spam 'gogogo' until they finish it or get booted.

CODChimera posted:

Whats this grinding spiders thing?

There's a section of uninhabited Itzel village pathways in Verdant Brink, a bit west of their village proper. You can glide to it from there, and there's at least one bounce shroom that goes straight there. It is balls-out infested with big, veteran spiders that dole out a good chunk of XP each and respawn quickly, making it a much better deal for raw XP than doing event chains, even with a few groups running loops on the platforms.

Stormgale posted:

I've been so so on the expansion, I feel a lot of the monsters do far too much damage (and especially when they can focus downed players) with little Telegraphing I dread fighting multiple mordrem snipers as one will inevitably be outside my field of view and nail me when I'm not looking and oh look he drops a fire line that means I get hosed.

I've spent more time grinding out central Tyria bosses and map completion for CT masteries than I have in the expansion regions, to be honest. It reminds me of my early forays into Orr, with everything just that much meaner or buggier, and mobs doing poo poo that I need to grind the reflexes to avoid. I play at weird hours, which doesn't really help. I'm slowly getting used to Verdant Brink, but it's taking more time and tolerance than I expected.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Liberatore posted:

The trick is to follow their group and just ignore chat. Or don't give a gently caress, which I personally recommend.

Yeah, it occurred to me to turn everything but goonchat off, afterwards. Feels weird, though. I've been playing almost a year now, and until recently the worst I've seen is someone trying to rile LA.

Doesn't help that I'm still the high-strung kid who takes everything personally. :P

Totbot posted:

I've found the best way to play the expansion is to just not worry about masteries. After you get updraft and bouncy mushrooms, you have enough to do the majority of the content. Exalted 1 and then the frog tunnels also help a decent amount.

It's probably some weird placebo effect, but I feel a lot more confident traveling around Verdant Brink with shroom bouncing than without. Having to grind the XP on quiet maps was a cock, but I don't know if making it part of the zone mechanics rather than an XP-based unlock would have been a better approach or not.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Kenshin posted:

You know what would make it not so bad? If we could just select a single mastery and level it anywhere. I would be a lot happier if I could get XP for my HoT masteries when I go do stuff in Tyria.

This, really. I've been doing map completion on a dusty 80, and I'm 1/4 of the way through the last Pact Commander level. It's really no better for repetition than running loops with the Itzel or the Pale Reavers, but the trappings change more often and you're less likely to be skeletonized by a pack of sawtoothed chickens. I understand wanting people to play the new content, but that could still be accomplished with the regionally flavoured mastery points requiring you to do the story and push into the dangerous depths of Maguuma.

Some of the unlocks look like things that would be QOL bullet points in another game, or a disused configuration option. Motoring around cities quicker, and rezzing people better are nice little benefits, but c'mon-- autoloot? I get locking regional movement gimmicks behind low-level masteries, you want players to actually interact with the new terrain, maybe even appreciate the unlocks, but several of the glider unlocks should have been basic functionality.

Anyway. I don't think any of it's likely to change, and I will eventually get the useful bits and more unlocked; I just wanted to make a few comments. I'm really just glad that they're account-wide unlocks, so that I don't have to keep doing 'em.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Oh christ, I just found out that karka are real.

http://i.imgur.com/NnXTAx0.jpg

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Illuyankas posted:

Alternatively, you pick pets based on what horrible puns you can name them

My jellyfish is named something like 'Ohgodgetitawayhelp'.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

That thing in the middle looks like a minion from Overlord.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

I think my mesmer has those shoulders.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Trebuchet King posted:

Are you the bomb?

I'm the beachball alien.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

"Cole slaw. This is GOON spoor. Be ready!"

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

Not this time. This exchange rate is wrecking a lot of things :(

Tell me about it. :(

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
No poo poo, just this week I realized there were big crystal pylons that popped up around the field when the Shatterer went into no-sell mode. Sight lines on that fight are goddamn awful.

MooCowlian posted:

The Leafs? lmao.

I'd have gone with the Senators.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I need to get some WvW in for my spoon collection, eventually.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I think Taimi is adorable, but I'm one of those weirdos who found Tiny Tina hilarious because thirteen year olds are ridiculous creatures. Ones with a gift for explosives, doubly so.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Sorry about bailing on the HP train. Between disko stewy screaming, and getting lost in midair, I suddenly recalled why I hadn't set foot in the expansion zones in two months.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I ended up doing that at the Maw last night. Between the way it likes to punish you for getting in close to the shaman, and the absurd number of people that event draws, I didn't feel too bad about messing around with the AH while my pets and staff went on the auto-offensive.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

knowonecanknow posted:

Do people willingly buy those storage expanders?

I almost did, before I asked around and found out that they don't do poo poo to your regular inventory slots.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Goddamn, ain't that something?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

Urrrrghhhhh I wanna fight that centaur man with head sigils so bad. Hes rad as hell

He reminds me of something from Wayne Barlowe's version of Hell.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Dreggon posted:

That actually made it really believable to me - the idea that, immediately after putting out the current failure of an expansion, they start work on the next one without fixing any of the problems. Just keep putting scaffolding up on their progressively mounting ocean of poo poo and try to out-build its rise.

So the Hallowe'en JP is a cry for help?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

khy posted:

Is there necromancer armor I can get that will make me look like a giant skeletal lich ala overlord :

I am gonna need shoulders that extend at least 3 feet to either side.

Why is that skeleton wearing a Rita Repulsa costume?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

I burst into flames if I cross the border :supaburn:

I think they've installed microwave guns at the Blue Water Bridge. I've yet to try crossing at Niagara Falls.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Dreggon posted:

it turns out necro is a really safe class for people who suck

in unrelated news, i like necro

That's why I've been leaning one mine almost since I started a year and some ago. I really should learn to play without a full brace of summons and spamming staff wells; it'd probably be a bit more interesting.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone else been seeing phantom candy corn nodes scattered around public zone maps recently? I've spotted a couple in Queensdale and Kessex Hills over the last few days, but they vanish upon approach.

I think SAB has been loving with my head.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

which reminds me of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9iJKLEPtrY

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I've only begun to start screwing around in Tangled Depths, so I couldn't find that adventure the other night either. Those maps can be a pain in the rear end until you're used to their ins and outs. Fortunately, I was able to do the other three PVE missions for the daily reward.

Unfortunately I'm usually pretending to get swole on Tuesday nights, so I'll probably miss out on the trains.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Don't stand in the fire in the disco.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I thought it was on a carpet at first, before I remembered what clothed asurabutt looked like.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Silly sloth, that's what the karka hat is for!

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

This needs to be a giant laser. Or maybe a giant hand that comes out and picks at the node a bit.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Pfft. The obvious option is to jump off a cliff and rez at a waypoint. It's like they've never rped a rape aftermath before.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Man, there was a goddamn torrent of quality of life stuff that came out after Emmert hosed off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

ceaselessfuture posted:

Do you hear the people sing?

No, but I hear them AHKing musical instruments.

• Locked thread