Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
You see, Mordremoth wasn't awakened at the end of season one. Well, at least not how we all thought. The sudden burst of magic from the drill hitting the ley line actually overwhelmed him and killed him. In a strange twist of fate, with both Scarlet and Mordremoth dying near the same time, Scarlet's soul rode the ley line to Mordremoth and her soul inhabited his body, saving him. Just like Jennifer Love Hewitt's boyfriend's soul moved to another dude's in the hospital when he died in that Ghost Whisperer show (don't look at me, my wife watched it). So, in HoT, we're just fighting Scarlet in a different body.

Later, taters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I just noticed they posted some new post-BWE3 dragonhunter changes.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/professions/guardian/Dragonhunter-updates-post-BWE3-launch

Highlights include giving spear of justice a pull and traps are now instant and give you boons when triggered. Fragments of faith is now a stun breaker as well.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Definitely preview it first before dropping any gold though. It does not disable facial hair, so if you have a manly norn beard, it clips right through it and looks terrible.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Liquid WXP is going away. You will soon be able to buy hero points in WvW which will auto-complete PvE hero points for you, so you can earn your elite spec in WvW.
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/earning-hero-points-in-world-vs-world/

For the don't work from home crew:

quote:

Greetings, Tyrians!
As part of the Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns™ release, we’ll be deprecating current liquid world experience consumables and adding a new system to World vs. World in which players can complete all of the hero challenges in the game without leaving WvW. We’re doing this because we want WvW players to have the opportunity to earn their profession’s elite specialization entirely by playing WvW.

Scrolls of Heroics
  • As you gain rank in WvW, you’ll earn new Proofs of Heroics items.
  • These proofs can be spent at the new heroics notary vendor, located at every WvW spawn point.
  • The vendor sells new consumables called Notarized Scrolls of Heroics and Notarized Scrolls of Maguuma Heroics, as well as superior siege weapon blueprints.
  • When consumed, these scrolls will complete one random hero challenge in either Central Tyria or Maguuma, respectively.
  • Combining 1 proof and 30 Badges of Honor yields 1 Notarized Scroll of Heroics.
  • Combining 5 proofs and 150 Badges of Honor yields 1 Notarized Scroll of Maguuma Heroics.
  • Once a player has unlocked all the hero challenges in a region, its associated scroll will no longer be available for purchase.
  • Any scrolls purchased above the cap can be consumed to refund the purchase price.
  • Notarized Scrolls of Maguuma Heroics will be unavailable to players who do not own Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns.
The addition of these new items means you can do every hero challenge in the game by exclusively playing WvW if you wish!

Changes to Liquid World Experience
In the interest of fairness to PvE players, we didn’t want to allow any WvW players who may have been stockpiling liquid world experience to instantly rank up a bunch of times and immediately begin unlocking the new expansion hero challenges the moment the expansion released. To that end, we’re making the following changes to liquid world experience:
  • On patch day, any leftover liquid world experience consumables in player inventories or banks will be converted into 50% WXP booster consumables.
  • These WXP boosters vary in duration (15 minutes to 10 hours) depending on the type of liquid world experience item replaced.
  • The laurel vendor will no longer sell liquid world experience.
  • Daily WvW achievements now reward 20-minute general experience boosters rather than 250 liquid WXP consumables. These experience boosters are consumed immediately and grant boosts in all game modes, boosting experience, world experience, and Player vs. Player rewards.
  • In all other locations, liquid world experience consumables have been replaced with new, automatically consumed instant world experience consumables of equivalent value. While it’s still possible that on a rare occasion you’ll earn a keg of world experience, it’ll just be consumed instantly.
We’re excited to have a new system for players to earn hero points while playing World vs. World! We believe the changes to liquid world experience to be a worthwhile trade-off, and we can’t wait for you to join us in unlocking our elite specializations as we bathe in the tears of our defeated foes!
See you on the battlefield!

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Update from the smiley dude himself on unlocking elite specs.

ColinJohanson posted:

Unlocking your elite spec is a training line in your training panel that costs hero points. You do need to have trained all the existing training lines before you’re allowed to put hero points into your elite spec.
If you’ve got all the hero points in the existing game and have enough to train about half the elite specialization training line on launch day. The rest you’ll need to earn in the jungle or via the new system Tyler outlined yesterday from WvW. The number of points to fully train your elite spec is higher than other training lines – but hero challenges in the jungle are worth 10 points each, so it’s not actually as big as it appears.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/hot/elite-specializations-how-many-hero-points/page/6#post5628102

ColinJohanson posted:

There are enough hero challenges in the jungle you don’t need to do any in the core tyrian world – those simply speed you up on day one if you already got them.

Keep in mind that as he said, each hero challenge in the expansion gives you 10 hero points. You can create an alt, tome theme to 80, have all of your base profession skills unlocked, and then unlock your elite spec in the four new zones. You don't need to world complete or even touch the old zones.

GI_Clutch fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 20, 2015

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Has there been any word regarding the missions to claim guild halls being gated behind masteries? If they aren't in the starter zone, I'd imagine you'd need basic hang gliding or some other mastery to get to the required zone. I was just checking one of the guild hall blog entries and it says "your guild will actually have to reach the ruins, which is an adventure in itself." That makes it sound like you need to make it there by foot versus getting a free teleport. Hopefully everyone has time to get the associated masteries by the scheduled claiming time if required.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Have you met the stealthing frogs that take you down in seconds yet? They're the best. Especially when you are doing an event with a whopping three people and it thinks the proper scaling is to spawn an elite and two veteran frogs.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I can see it now. Anet reduces the number of hero points required to fully unlock elite specialization (or something similar). The first few responses are "THANK YOU!!!!!" They are soon followed by "I already put X hours into your kitten gating mechanics and finding other players to complete these ridiculous jungle hero challenges. What do I get for already having done this?"

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Wow, the final story mission is a real piece of work. One boss bugged out in my favor. The next boss was bugged out making it unable to be completed. After starting over, I finally got to the final boss. Too bad that bugged out numerous times putting objects you have to interact with in the middle of the sky, so I fall to my death trying to use them. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow or when there are patch notes about fixing the encounter.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's cool, totally missed that unlocking. Might go for that as well, it must have a unique skin? Getting a normal marauder's ascended longbow would probably be faster at least.

It's the one they showed off on the Meet The Dragonhunter blog entry way back when. Picture here: https://d3b4yo2b5lbfy.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/f4d76Glamor-1-590x331.jpg
Warning: you may get triggered from this image due to aegis

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Mesadoram posted:

It is pretty awesome. Blender trap is the best. Hope they don't nerf it :ohdear:

Seriously. I have never seen as many numbers pop up on my screen as when I drop GS 4, Procession of Blades, then GS2 into a cluster of mobs in the HoT events. Hopefully the increased cooldown is the extent of the changes to it. I don't want whiny esports folks ruining my fun.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
These crashes are getting old. I was in a pretty well populated Tarir map, about to activate the final pylon and crash. Log back in to an empty map.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
No attunements to get into our raids! You can hop into them immediately! Oh, you want to be able to complete them? Well, yeah, to do that you need to grind about fifteen million XP.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I give the 64-bit client an A+. Played through Teq with all of the pretty graphics options on and character model limit/quality at high and no crash today! Got up to 4.7GB of RAM during the battle. I can't wait to see what the mouth of Mordremoth looks like with graphics turned back up again.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

BobTheJanitor posted:

That Mordremoth fight is a buggy mess, eh? Twice through it and dying to bugs out of nowhere was enough for me. Trying to channel on those rifts (if they don't spawn in mid-air) while taking random damage from I don't know what, and every little bit of damage interrupts the channel bar again. The updrafts lift you, except when they don't. Braham (or maybe it was Canach) will shield you, except when they don't. And when some random poorly explained fight mechanic downs you, your NPC pals might res you... except when they don't. But there's no mid-fight checkpoint, so rewind 10 minutes and start over again! :shepicide:

Speaking of NCPs not resing in that fight, I had quite a nail biter. After finally giving the last mission a shot after it being a buggy mess for me last week, I ended up getting knocked out of the sky during the final flying phase and falling off of the platform. I figured I was hosed, but the game teleported me back onto the platform in a downed state. Do the NCPs res me? No. Instead I'm dropping my heal symbol and spamming 4, hoping to come back. At this time it goes into the final phase and I'm about dead when the trash mobs come by. I managed to rally off one and pull off the victory a couple minutes later.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

CLAM DOWN posted:

True Shot is totally going to get nerfed :(

I hope not. I don't play PvP, but I think people are just terrible. On the guardian forums, people had been asking for the root to be removed at the expense of losing damage because stopping in place is too big of a tell and everyone just dodges it. Then HoT launches and people are crying that true shot hits them too hard, nerf it, wah wah wah. I'm assuming these people are just terrible.

Dragonhunter is the most fun I've had with my guardian in a long time. I hope it and other eite specs don't get ruined because of PvP balance. They should just split the skills between PvE and PvP if they believe something is such a big deal.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
On the topic of fractal rewards, I ran a handful of babby fractals with goons and some pubbies yesterday and got an ascended ring from the level 11 fractal. I was surprised that rings still dropped at that level since they changed everything.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I'd just like if they replied to issues posted on their official forums. It seems like there are more posts of "Look what dev X said on this reddit thread" on the official forums than responses from devs on the official forums. Isn't the point of having official forums having an official place to discuss and address things?

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Don't know if it was posted here yet or not, but the issue with HoT map completion rewards is on track to be in next week's patch. It sounds like you'll need to zone into the completed zones to get your rewards.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Trebuchet King posted:

At this point I just want some legendary armor previews so I can determine my appropriate level of desire to raid.

The heavy boot department as it presently stands is pretty weak.

Agreed. Ten variations of scaled boots is not enough. I want at least fifteen.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I enjoy the new zones, but I wish there was more variety to the event chains. If you go to an outpost, you're running the same event chain every single time. It would be nice if there were multiple chains or at least a few steps in the chain that picked from two possible events for at least a little variety. There's also the fact that it might be difficult to get higher tiers or complete metas when people get too burnt out.

For the next expansion, I'd like to see at least a few regular zones. No phases of fancy meta events, just throw in a few zones to explore on my own time with plenty of singular events or chains like in the regular base Tyria zones. I also kind of hope we don't go after yet another elder dragon right away. After fighting modrem non-stop for a year an a half, I don't want to just move on to something like nothing but destroyers for a year and a half.

GI_Clutch fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 25, 2015

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
It only offered me a free regular XP booster, not a heroic one.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
This is one case where I think roleplaying wouldn't be totally lame.

"I am a mercenary hired by the Lionguard to kill so-and-so. I have 100G riding on this mission. If you can double their offer, I could look the other way."

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
If these changes are true, that blows. I wonder what the thought process behind it was.

:confused: Many servers have population issues. How can we ensure more people are in WvW during a match up?
:) I know, let's make them create teams with a fixed number of players! Then when they sign in, they will feel obligated to play only WvW during the matchup, ensuring there are bodies in every map!
:confused: But what about the casuals? Surely, they still want to experience WvW.
:) If WvW doesn't matter to them enough to play it exclusively, they can go where the objectives don't matter either. 24/7 EoTM!

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
It's obnoxious that it displays constantly whether or not you have the person targeted unlike the other tags. I could see displaying it automatically in HoTM maybe, but I don't give a poo poo about seeing it when I'm out and about. But I guess they need to take every opportunity to remind people about esports because the banner on the load screens and event in the upper right of the screen aren't enough.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Sprite141 posted:

Do dragon hunters get more voice work? I know tempests get a ton, and I find my female norn guardian's voice acting to be boring and bland.

I don't believe so. What would they say? "Come closer, I did not just lay a trap at my feet!"

Though, the pull on Spear of Justice should yell "GET OVER HERE!" I'd dress up like Scorpion if it did that.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Trebuchet King posted:

Is there a...map, I guess, or similar providing a nice route to round up enough (or as much as possible) of the mats for spiritwood planks/deldrimor ingots per day? I know for iron there's that canyon thing in the NW of Brisban but it'd be great if I could streamline, I guess, the process.

For Iron, I just hit seven waypoints that have a guaranteed node close by. A couple of these spots occasionally have another rich node near them that you'll see on your way to the guaranteed one. The wiki will point you to the locations of the nodes.
[&BEsBAAA=] [&BF4BAAA=] [&BMAAAAA=] [&BF0CAAA=] [&BKsAAAA=] [&BJMBAAA=] [&BGMAAAA=]

For the platinum, there are a couple guaranteed spots in Mount Maelstrom that I hit (the one by the ruins w/ the priory dudes, and north of Mark II Golem/in the water), as well as the one in Timberline Falls (in the underwater cave by the skelk). With the iron and plat combined, that's more than enough to kick out a deldrimor ingot every day. Just pick up any iron/plat that's near you on your way between the waypoints as well. I actually made an app with all of the waypoints that I can just click them to copy them to my clipboard to easily paste them in a whisper to myself. If you don't get too distracted by soft wood and other things, you can knock all of these out in under twenty minutes.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
SAB is returning a la Darkness Falls. Whichever server in your WvW matchup has the most keeps claimed gets access. This will be their plan to reinvigorate WvW.

But seriously, they should totally rip off DAoC and add a Darkness Falls like PvP dungeon.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I hopped into WvW Saturday night and had some fun in the new maps. Maybe not as much fun as this guy though.

Hopefully they don't screw it up too much. WvW was always a fun place to hop into back in the day. I think the new maps are fun and a nice change from the old ones. I don't think would hate on them so much if there was enough population to fill them. The whole guild alliance thing that was making the rounds sounds terrible though. Before doing anything that drastic, they should just look at weekly WvW participation per server and then lump the servers together into alliances.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Isn't the story that the game originally didn't have hearts, but they were added because initial testers were completely lost without the game telling them where to go? As in "Here, play our game without standard quests. Instead, dynamic events will happen around the game world that you can participate in! But where do I go??????????"

It's amazing how dumbed down players and MMOs are these days. My first MMO was DAoC. There was no in game map. Horses in cities had specific destinations and you had to jump off mid travel to run to another town to get on another horse to your actual destination. Oh, you want to know what stats a piece of gear has? Right-click it, so a window appears with some basic info. Then hit Shift+I to get another window with detailed information. I played for months without knowing how to do that.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Oh, it definitely was a pain in the rear end. I'm not saying I want those aspects back. I just think that over time games (of all genres) have gotten so hand-holdy that players expect it. You accept a quest in a Bethesda game and it tells you exactly what to do. There's an icon on the map of the person you need to talk to that moves around as that character does. If they changed that to a general circle on the map tell you the vicinity of the character, people would complain and just resort to GameFAQs instead of trying to find the person themselves.

I have no problem with hearts existing. I just found the notion of people going into a game that totes not having standard quests/quest hubs and then feeling totally lost because the game isn't telling them what to do/where to go funny. If you don't know where you are supposed to go, just start exploring. That's what was done back in the day before NCPs had exclamation points over their head. You explored and found the content.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Disco Infiva posted:

At least Scarlet didn't came back.

Wait until the egg hatches in season three and she pops out.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
My least favorite HoT mob is the Veteran Giant Beetle that aggros you when you aren't paying attention at the Salvage Pit. I swear they made him patrol that spot as a giant troll.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

learnincurve posted:

Oh god no, I spent freaking hours last night setting my options up to get my fps above 20 and I'm too noob to remember exactly what I did :sadfruckingface:

oddly though, even with a lot of stuff set to low it still looks better than wow so I'm calling it a win.

Pretty sure it's just the General Options page and bag settings that gets reset. My graphic options haven't changed at all.

Also, there is a workaround to keep your settings from getting reset every time. I've used it half a dozen times now without losing my settings.
  1. Click the the gear/hit ESC
  2. Click Log Out
  3. Click Character Select
  4. Click the the gear/hit ESC
  5. Click Log Out
  6. Click Log Out again
  7. Click X to close the patcher

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Nice. I saw the longass version of the official forums last night and it worked, so I went with it. You know, besides all of the times I hastily quit to deal with something and forgot.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Illuyankas posted:

If WoW is the McDonald's of MMOs what fast food restaurant would GW2 be and why

Taco Bell: Doesn't cost a lot upfront and very enjoyable. However, whether gems or your rear end, there's a good chance you're going to be paying for it later.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
While I am excited about many things in that list, this is one of my favorites:

quote:

Also, a new check box will be added to always show the names of objects you can interact with in the world, similar to the existing check boxes for player, NPC, and enemy names.
No more holding down the Ctrl key!

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I miss the temporary content of season one. Sure, season two's permanent content was nice in the fact that you could experience it whenever, but I liked having something new to do every few weeks. I came back after my first break during the release where Scarlet's armies were attacking a zone every hour. Sure, lots of the content was just zerging a bunch of baddies down, but it was more fun than playing through a couple hours or solo story instances. If they had more frequent open world content, I'd be logging in all the time. I don't even care about getting my daily reward every day any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I agree with the new zone being fun. I'd also like to add that the new Heavy Light is awesome. Goodbye, Big Game Hunter. I prefer shooting piercing arrows that knock a bunch of dudes back every ten seconds.

• Locked thread