Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.

Your Computer posted:

I just spent a couple of hours in the jungle doing events on my Rev and all I got was 300k exp. Out of 1 million. At level 3. I knew it was bad, but drat :stare: How on earth are people already level 20+? Do the events grant more exp in the later maps?

Mastery level counts points committed, not tiers completed (e.g. completing a 5 point mastery would put you from 10 to 15), and people have found creative ways to fill out the Pact Tyria masteries quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

The only "staff" thieves need is the people answering phones at Suicide Hotline

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

brennon posted:

I heard that they don't want to make any changes to either Warrior or Berserker though because they are intended to be "Underpowered slightly because they are so simple", is this actually true?

If they've ever said this, it's a standard "no idea what they're actually doing" result.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

That's the thing about me and MMOs, when they go down/go away I just get bored rather than find something else to do. :(

Try picking up a hobby, maybe an art form, so you can draw pictures of your GW2 characters during downtime.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Tequatl is still worth a direct 2g per day on success, couldn't say if there's more people getting credit than finished PvP matches though. Fractals don't even give a full gold just for completing anymore I think.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Coolness Averted posted:

Which is weird because didn't they say the dungeon gold nerf was gonna be paired with a gain for fractals?

Yeah you get a bunch of poo poo you can sell on the TP, but the question was about the game generating gold and not tradable commodities.

You can do 5 easy mode baby fractal islands a day (2 recommended dailies and then complete the mid tier one with swamps) for 3 pristine relics and, well I wound up with I think something like 48 +1 infusions, including using the three free encryption keys after today's set. Plus a bunch of junk I didn't really count. With purchasable fractal weapon boxes after doing scale 50 it's more compelling than "will I get something besides a poo poo ring today? Oh, today's roll was 'nothing'".

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

nessin posted:

Is there any reason to just throw random junk into the Mystic Forge? I tend to sell my random loot because I'm too lazy to try and figure a good price for the Auction House and don't care about the crafting materials, but I'm wondering is it worth throwing in the forge for a potential exotic, or do you have to follow specific recipes for exotic+ gear?

Fishing for precursors is a gamble, there's as many or more stories of people spending as much as they could have bought the thing for, before actually getting it out.

Four rare/exotic weapons all of the same type as the precursor you want out are what you should toss in, don't substitute in others or mystic stones or you're bound to get an underwater one if any. This is why rare sword, greatsword, staff, dagger, some others, all sell for above average ecto salvage value on the TP.

If you want the same thrill, just throw in all the random poo poo green and yellow sigils and runes you get from salvaging. Maybe you'll get a Strength rune out!

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

Wait you mean there's something else I could be doing with all my crap runes and sigils?

It's probably better to just TP the rare quality ones but I hate selling them one by one with how choppy the TP interface is, so I end up dumping them by fours into the forge (after a couple world bosses + teq worth of salvaging, they build up), vendor the leftover greens, let the yellows sit around, and rarely get an exotic one worth listing. Exotic quality ones can't be forged to reroll them, they're just used in legendary weapons sometimes.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Reaper is cool so I drew a picture of mine, an Asura (trigger warning). It's right here. Ok bye.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Mesadoram posted:

Also I am kind of an idiot, does this mean the complementary colors are purple and brown?
http://paletton.com/#uid=32F0u0kw09xlSjSr8elHU5tSF2f

Edit: 10 more degrees actually looks really awesome if I am reading this correctly:
http://paletton.com/#uid=32F0a0kw09xlSjSr8elHU5tSF2f

It's split complementary, colors on opposite sides of the wheel from each other give the most contrast but that can be a bit of an eyesore, so it shifts the colors you didn't specify away a bit and tones them down (brown is basically orange).

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

HoT maps are way better than others at encouraging you to split up groups instead of mass blobbing, and nearly everything goes into wallets and the collection bank just fine.

But there's no new dungeon content so gently caress it, organizing 5 people maybe isn't an epic massively multiplayer experience but it's more fun. Hopefully raids aren't poorly tuned garbage.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

I just ran straight into Verdant Brink from Silverwastes without even going into the prologue story bit after the first few times.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Druid and Scrapper are really good, nobody's really moping about those. Tempest and Daredevil don't really add a whole new world to their classes like how Reaper and Scrapper bring in melee options but they're still nice.

So far only Berserker doesn't seem to have popular builds up on Metabattle if that means anything.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Minions are finally at the lofty tier of 'maybe a niche use here and there' aside from the flesh wurm teleport, up from 'waste of a slot'. Please adjust your builds accordingly.

I guess they let you get a little more use out of the Blood Magic lifesteal traits.

If you're leveling, grab Spite at least, it has traits that activate when hitting lower health targets and you'll be doing that a lot while running around.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Minions dying instantly to cleave wasn't the only reason you didn't ever (want to) see 5-minion necromancers in dungeons.

Apparently you can use them to eat projectiles on Old Tom or something but you'd probably be better off dropping wells on everything instead. Minions in GW1 were good defensive support because of the bodyblocking and how easily you could rebuild a cloud of them.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

You don't even need to drop any of your Berserker gear, just swap out Death Perception for Dhuumfire and take the free burning damage while keeping up crit with Decimate Defenses (which works outside Shroud as well.)

Probably would want Balthazar runes for a condition damage (i.e. Burning spam) build. Possibly Nightmare runes (bought with Twilight Arbor tokens) but you only need 5 of those, use a Coral Orb in the last slot instead of the basically useless 'fear when hit' 6pc bonus.

Chill is less useful in PvE now, enemies with breakbars (which is anything that you'd want to chill up their cooldowns) now ignores the effects of control conditions, where they didn't in the Defiance system.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Solumin posted:

Other way around, actually. "Soft" CC like Chill definitely does affect break bars, but not as much as hard CC does. Try chilling a rolling devil, for example. AFAIK soft CC didn't affect Defiance at all.

They didn't affect Defiance because they actually did what they were supposed to. You could immobilize champions before HoT, now you can't. I'm assuming the cooldown increase effect on Chill is ineffective as well, it does the grey blinking thing. Defiance only stopped control effects like stun, daze, fear, knockbacks.

I haven't seen anything with a serious breakbar where stacking conditions was nearly as effective as everyone dropping a stun on it. Either way it wouldn't be worth dedicating runes to in PvE.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

I already posted a drawing of my necromancer (it should be in my recent posts, if anyone wants to look at it and tell me it's good and that I'm a cool person) but here's an in-game shot.

Alteisen posted:

Druid stinks. :colbert:

Run it with Skirmishing so you can still bring Spotter, and use Quick Draw so when you hit avatar you can go 4 3 2 4 (drop) or something like that, and get a quick draw proc on the weapon you have out. But yeah the healing isn't really necessary that often in PvE and I don't feel like the Grace of the Land damage boost does much more than make up for you not hitting actual damage weapon skills for a short bit. I guess your pet is still doing damage.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

rear end-Haggis posted:

Yo, would a female Chronomancer be called a Chronomantress? What about a Sylvari one named Chronomantis? Chronomantis sounds like a wicked sick name tbqh imo

You like Castlevania, don't you?

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Apparently higher up fractals bosses have increased Toughness for some reason so Sinister becomes best for more than like 2 classes or whatever. RIP Zerk

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Doing lots of damage is also enjoyable in it's own right, if you like that kind of thing. They're not exclusive, fun is subjective. If you don't like the playstyle of the meta dungeon builds or whatever enough to not want to bother with them, you don't have to turn it into 'well I'm a virtuous funhaver gamer, not some soulless nerd' in self-defense against people calling your DPS terrible.

And yeah Daredevil mostly just reinforces existing Thief playstyles, giving them a long-range rifle spec would have been more 'different' but there's plenty of those already.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Are you absolutely sure that you want to pass up both Signets of Suffering and Path of Corruption in what is said to be a boon removing build?

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

If you're getting blown up consistently in PvP you're either getting matched with people who far outrank you (likely) or you're playing how it seems like you should and going around picking fights, and then getting outnumbered by the enemy team who's got momentum on you.

http://metabattle.com/wiki/Guide:Rated_PvP_basics_-_Conquest

quote:

Never rush into a lost team fight, and don't be afraid to disengage

Another common mistake. An example: if you see a 3v1 and only you can aid that guy, then don't. You will only make it 2v3, and make 2/5 of your team wipe. Simply just be happy that the enemy can be outnumbered on 2 other capture points, and help those. Or if your team is clearly losing a fight, you are outnumbered and your teammates are going down and there is no way you could make them rally from downed state, just escape while you can and help elsewhere/regroup.

I die a lot this way, trying to be the cool hero guy that saves his friends, but it rarely works out.

If you want something survivable but still strong you might look for a Celestial (or less common, Soldier) build on Metabattle, they tend to be built for outlasting. Rolling around as MM Necro might be good for a laugh or whatever but it's not really the most helpful thing you can be doing for your team, especially if your opponents already know your shtick and just focus down your squishier friends first. Bunker Guardian is more accepted because it's built for removing conditions, aegis, protection, stability, might, etc. on your nearby allies, not just yourself.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Get used to non-infused rings as your fractal reward because fuckall else drops anymore.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Daredevil actually has a hidden F3 skill, it works like Steal but instead puts a whiny forums post in your hands. What happens with it from there is up to you.

e: never mind, looks like plenty of people have found it.

Adhesive Gamin fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Nov 9, 2015

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

xZAOx posted:

I want to know what the gear reqs will be for raiding. The way design has been going lately, I could see it being "be decked out in ascended gear for a chance at ascended gear!"

That was fractals before HoT, and it was great for free gear for alts.

Now there's a bunch of RNG poo poo to salvage out of ascended gear too so it's still valuable.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Stormgale posted:

Direct quotes from Anet is that ascended is reccomended

They also told us we could play how we want, and you see how that turned out.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Becoming?

There's been nothing to do but grind gold for legendaries since launch. Now there's a bunch of different maps to farm events on instead of just doing CoF1 over and over.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

I'd be willing to believe the numbers and such associated with Scribing and decorations and all make more sense from the perspective of '200 idiots throw in a tiny bit of materials into the pot now and then', which is a view that you're probably not going to take as an individual player, especially with the apparent scarcity of Crystalline Ore and how it's useful for flashier personal things too.

This is sort of how we got to bagception, assuming that running dungeons for straight up gold instead of farming tradable materials was really making GBS threads up the economy then whatever, I'll deal with the choppy TP UI now and then, but it was a lot nicer to just get a single wad of cash to spend, instead of a bunch of random poo poo dumped into your backpack and oh god i have to open and salvage all this and its not depositing anymore and the prices change and [complaints drowned out over ANet economy team high-fiving over t5 leather prices going up]

Also having the decoration system's progress tied to 'a single character on a private account' seems problematic at best. There's a guild treasury and donation system for guild related upgrades, you'd think they'd just have it as another building instead of... feeling obligated to add a new tradeskill?

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I dig that spelling of "incompetence."

Income Panties

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns: This seems contrary to their design philosophy.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Trogdos! posted:

Does anyone here play sinister/viper Berserker in PvE? How is it?

I've been running it with sword/torch longbow on warrior. Arms Discipline Berserker. King of Fires gives you 33% burn duration so you don't need full Viper's if you're using Balthazar runes. Signet of Fury and Headbutt (and Outrage) give you two quick ways to get into berserk mode, though Headbutt is the only hard CC on the build as I've got it so it can be better to save it. Having most of your damage available at range (sword and longbow primal bursts) is pretty good for HoT stuff so far.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Pretty much any of the crafted stat combos they've added since launch have been account bound.

Also quartz crystals are up to 8-9 silver each, bringing the cost to around 16g and 5 days of charging crystals per insignia/inscription. You can just buy celestial ascended trinkets from the vendors at least!

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

:siren: Ascended gear has been mentioned! :siren: deploy the disclaimer posters immediately!

If you're going full celestial it's actually cheaper to buy the ascended accessories for 5g +12 guild commendations each. (Crafting them with jeweler also takes the 5 charged quartz.) Amulets are a bit closer in value (until t6 trophies drop more) but you probably want the utility infusion slot anyway. Rings are basically free if you do fractal dailies for pristine relics.

Also you shouldn't really bother with celestial gear unless you're doing WvW.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

I think the statement just came across poorly. I kind of read it as "we intend for the final boss encounters to be hard enough that you'd want to consider getting extra stats on your gear just for the safety".

That or there will be raid-specific infusions, which would be great since they're disabling 10% slaying sigils and potions in raids.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Since we're sharing Scrapper builds, I made up a template that should work in any game mode.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQFAymUUB1aBEqCl7CgGgEA-TxhAABKr+D17P83DAASlgAcBAQWHA2K/AA-e

Blank spots can be filled in with whatever you want, but it doesn't matter much because nothing compares to the traits that are already there. You can probably run Exotic versions of the equipment too until you're ready to pay for the good stuff.

Usage:

TBD

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

whydirt posted:

I haven't gotten to play as a scrapper yet - what existing class/weapon combo do their hammer skills most resemble?

Ranger Greatsword.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

VenMalakim posted:

I don't even have any words.

Somehow, despite the disastrous concept for the character, they managed not to pick the 'ASPCA ad' Charr body type.

Also you should just keep multiple armor sets so you can transmute them differently and tell at a glance what gear you're in.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

I have seen one (1) encounter in the raid and am ready to judge them as a whole, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Stormgale posted:

Considering you need to beat that 1 encounter and the game has very little in the way to bridge the gap and teach players how to do it while also letting them get something for their trouble. Fractals sure ain't teaching me how to do proper burn phases on an 8 minute DPS check with a lot of incidental mechanics, dungeons neither.

Is this your first MMO? Look up a build guide.

• Locked thread