Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Couple things I noticed about a thief I never play while doing a run of hero points and a dragon stand to 100% the map's easy poi and hero points.

Thief has a major trait that gives them 7% better damage if they are within 300 range of someone, by contrast, the dragon hunter has a minor trait that gives them 7% damage at 0-600 range and 13% damage beyond that.

They also seem to be the only class that didn't get any new F1 button functionality, instead just getting what they used to have in acrobatics, but largely worse.

Speaking of the F1, I used steal on quite a few different heart of thorns enemies and steal didn't actually give me anything to use.

I know they are probably the least played class by a fair margin, but dang it just feels underwhelming and badly tuned when you look at other classes, like that dragon hunter minor trait to major trait comparison, I'm not even sure why dragon hunter has a free 7-13% damage minor trait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
What if you go into the fight without doing your personal story?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Some random screenshots during my expansion time.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

CrusherEAGLE posted:

Is there a way to make leveling fun? It's frustrating that in most MMOs (including this one), leveling is simply too "easy". There's no challenge in face-rolling mobs. What's a way to make this somewhat more challenging?

Level only using Action Mode.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

effectual posted:

So they're just changing the grouping of wvw, not how much hp the gates can sometimes have? Last night I was in a zerg of 100 people that still took a few minutes to break some gates, and in off-peak hours it'd be nice if structure/npc health scaled down if there are only a couple people in the area

What, did you try to auto the door down? 100 people autoing a door is going to do about as much as 1 guy operating a superior ram, your numbers ain't going to bring the door down faster unless you build more rams.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I suspect if they would do those changes as written there, it would probably just be the 300 vs 300 alliance in the 3 borderlands, with eternal battlegrounds being left the same, but who knows what they changed compared to the leak.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

Nice Anet, our names are starting to look like lovely websites without popup blockers on, real pertinent information to display prominently, after all I might be gravely concerned if I run across a lower league scrub :jerkbag:

(apologies to kerrhze for being my example)

e: oh gently caress off

Got to agree with that, there is no reason for that icon to be visible and in such numbers.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I think peoples main complaint is the fact you need a ton of map currency in heart of thorns, and each map has it's own currency you can only get there, which means your stuck doing the same meta events over and over.

Compared to release, where if you wanted top tier exotic armor, you had the choice to craft it, get karma from doing stuff elsewhere in the world then heading to orr, doing WvW or dungeons, or just collect gold as you play and buy it.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Condi engi and necro, warrior, that's about it, it's a short list of which classes/specs the elite isn't a massive upgrade in power.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
One bit of *visual clutter* that I wish was a bit more apparent, are the DH immovable barriers they can poo poo all over the place, half the time they are 100% invisible and I keep bumping my head into them over and over.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I think it's that elite trap that has no visual indication where the wall part of it is.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I knew I wasn't crazy, invisible barriers knocking me on my rear end with every dodge roll.

I sorta wish instead of just trying to taxi into maps in the 5 seconds before the group fills up, you could choose which current instance of the map you wanted to enter.
Basically thinking a drop down menu that would be:
Sparkfly Fen 1 200/200
Sparkfly Fen 2 133/200
Sparkfly Fen 3 43/200

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Generic Octopus posted:

There was a game that did this. I'll let you guess.

... Oh.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Attestant posted:

Did I miss anything?

I'm right now at the point where every collection wants 500-1000 map currency per pointless item, or 250-500 of each.
Which starts to run it's welcome thin because I've already done every event and the only way to get more is to show up at the right time on a populated map and do those same events again and again.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

kater posted:

It's been over a month and I still have no idea what you are supposed to be getting from Tempest that trumps Earth/Water/Arcane.

Because no traits available in either of those give you four free really strong overload skills, which is worth it alone even if you don't take any of the shouts which are very strong and team supporty.

Also, arcane has kinda been poo poo for a long time.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 6, 2015

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Couple methods I've found to collect ley crystals with spending as little time in the area as possible doing events.

• Do a hero boss train 20-30ish minutes before gerent shows up to get participation for the 75 ley crystals when the meta switches over, adventures and potani add participation too.
  • Run to all the easy to reach chests I know of in the wild, they usually give 3, but sometimes you'll get 28, I usually do a quick run to 5 chests, 3 of the chests are easy to reach via updrafts at the top of the giant dead tree, can do this on multiple characters and sometimes you get a rare reclaimed weapon.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I sort of want to start work on Champion Ritualist in my free time, since I should take advantage all the newbies clogging up/throwing games in ranked. But I really, really don't want one of those dumb badges on my name plate. :saddowns:

You won't be the one to see them, everyone else will.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
That feeling when you find out the half a dozen aetherized weapon skins you've been holding for a couple years that were worth 2000-3000g each are now worth 100-400g each because they were added to fractal drops.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Coulda sold my stuff back in the summer, oh well, they just better to the same to the fused and halloween skins that are worth a fortune.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Probably not the best time to put out a patch to log out everyone currently still ingame.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
When they talked about guildhalls and being able to customize em, I thought it'd be like fallout 4 and peoples lives would be consumed by decorations and layouts, but everything with guildhalls is designed to drain massive resources out of the economy so nobody bothers to spend 500g and a weeks worth of account bound currency for a set of chairs so every guildhall is nearly identical aside from the cheap or free materials.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Dec 10, 2015

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Main reason I think the story feels better is they ditched those dumb two person low effort cutscenes and instead you either get in-engine cutscenes with the effects cranked up to 11 that look rather nice or moving painting cutscenes which look really nice.

That and your character does some talking now while you still have full control.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Harrow posted:

I personally dig it when a game drops the whole quest marker thing and just has really well-designed areas where you can use landmarks to get around based on verbal directions and your own memory

We sorta got that, minus the well designed area part.

It's called Tangled Depths.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

It wouldn't. Adding hearts would give some direction to progress through the zone, and would give something pve to do outside the meta event, that I could do at my own pace. It has nothing to do with the ease of traversing the zone for me.

And then you complete the hearts and then what? you still got to go back there a dozen more times, but then you'd have nothing to do.
There is a lot more to randomly find and do in tangled depths compared to the others, yeah, it's very very frustrating to travel until you personally have every cave memorized, but there are a lot of events that pop up and plenty of chests to find, I can usually grab 5 chests in 2 minutes and sometimes I get a rare reclaimed weapon worth 15g or 28 ley crystals.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 11, 2015

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
There is always getting there after a map reset and doing the event chains from start to finish.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Brain In A Jar posted:

I've burnt out almost completely on the mastery xp grind. I used to love logging in and playing this game but doing the same adventures, and the same events, over and over and over with no other option for parallel pve progression has driven me to the point where I log in, open my chest, ask if anyone's doing anything fun in gchat, and when the answer is inevitably 'no', I log out again.

I think I can honestly say that as an idiot who paid full price for Wildstar at launch, it was still a better purchase than HoT turned out to be.

PS: The 2 hour Dragon's Stand meta is a loving abomination, especially since they backload all the xp to the Mouth kill. Don't have two hours to sit on your rear end and follow plodding yaks through waves of enemies and two copy/pasted minibosses? Too loving bad because joining an in-progress instance that isn't a trainwreck is basically impossible, and god forbid the client crash mid-way through and you weren't in a group (though this has been largely mitigated by squads).

Dragon's Stand is like Teq but you have to turn up 90 minutes early instead of 15 and it is possibly the worst thing in the game at the moment.

With Dragon stand, if you joined a semi decent map it should take a hour to reach mordremoth.

With the mastery exp I'm on the opposite end, I unlocked everything in HoT via popping exp boosters from wvw dailies as metas and hero trains finish up, right now I really want a repeatable track because now my exp isn't even going into spirit shards anymore, not that they were useful, but I just want a bar to slowly fill up over and over, yaknow?

America Rocks posted:

I'd be much happier with the new meta events if they would add matchmaking features other than the open world pve queue. These maps are basically raids with 60-100 man groups, except you can only get in by trawling through a queue full of random crap looking for "DS org", hoping it pops up and you can join within 5 seconds before the group fills, then screaming in frustration as you get "world is full".

Just do this: everyone who joins a DS map gets placed in the instance with the highest number of people that isn't currently capped. Maybe raise the threshold for the "your map pop is low, volunteer?" button so that it pops up when your DS is at 50/150 or something. Or hell, let us look through a list of DS maps by ID, show the number of players in each, and let us join by map instead of searching for party.

The point is, these new maps don't function as maps - they function as giant raids. I'd prefer if it wasn't that way, but that's how they are right now. Everything is Tequatl but without the rest of Sparkly Fen to explore. At least make them function decently as raids.
That's a valid criticism about how the maps fill, they never seem to fill themselves before opening up newer maps, you need to taxi in or get taxi'ed so your map isn't lacking people to get things done.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 11, 2015

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The main complaints I'd levy against the expansion as someone who has done everything in it.

• Lack of things to do if you can't commit time.
  • Needing to make heavy use of LFG to taxi into good maps when there should just be a dropdown list of active maps to join with player counts.
  • Only being the same start to finish event chains, then as soon as you do everything and succeed, the instant it's morning in verdant brink every soldier dies and their fortified camps explode like they used vampires as the construction material.
  • Central Tyria masteries being locked behind the expansion, want to be rewarded fully and progress fully through vanilla content like fractals or want access to auto loot? better be sure to buy the expansion to not get locked out of content you've already been doing, want to make the same gold you did just running dungeons before? better do the expansion areas.
  • Big red BUY THE EXPANSION HERE clogging up the screen if you didn't buy it.
  • I actually like the mastery unlocking new shortcuts, but it shows it's flaws if you try to do things with random people or friends new to the expansion and they lack the necessary masteries to reach the same area, and they are either stuck outside a door or fall to their death because they just barely can't reach the updraft.
  • Besides the obviously forgotten about thief, every single elite specialization is just a straight upgrade to the class and no third traitline can compete with the free skills added to your arsenal not even counting the traits inside might actually be really good too, it feels like powercreep and essentially your locked into 2 trait choices instead of 3 unless your one of the few specs that's better off without it like condi engi/necro because the lines don't offer much for conditions.
  • The game not being designed around having dedicated healers and strong AOE heal skills, it just straight up breaks SPVP because of bunkers healing eachother or making lords unkillable in stronghold, stronghold was actually kinda fun in the beta, before everyone had elite specializations and a couple druids or tempest could keep the lords alive forever, this coming from someone who likes playing healers.

That said, I still play it every day and make the currency numbers go up.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Dec 11, 2015

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It should be noted that gerent isn't so terrible to do now that people have started figuring out what to do and now that it gives lots of rewards even if a lane fails near the end.

That said, the scaling problems making it impossible past 20 people in nuhoch and scar is dumb, so is the fact that not breaking the breakbar is a thing that makes it far easier without the boss charging across the tunnel and knocking people around.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Was in a full verdant brink that had the reaver event chain bug out, airship salvage bug out and to top it off the wyvern matriarch landed in open air and then under the platform, which of course meant the map could only go to tier 3.9 during the day and night. :thumbsup:

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
So, whats the most unfun veteran enemy to fight in the expansion, mordrem sniper, frog archer, chak lobber, or smokescales?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It's pretty obvious the exp grinds and the map specific currencies that are needed for about every collection in the hundreds or thousands are intended to slow down player progress until they can finish working on it, like the legendary armor and whatnot.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Bit of a shame how few armor skins were added with the expansion, correct me if I'm wrong, but we only got leystone, bladed, revenant set, and one piece of armor per specialization, which look like they might of been intended to be worn with a matching set but they ran out of time.

I think they added just as many expansion themed outfits to the gemstore as they added regular armor sets, along with a 2000 gem soul glider that feels like it could of been a cosmetic reward from the raid for a hardmode.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

malhavok posted:

And the legendary i guess

The legendary armor doesn't actually exist yet.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I hope by the next expansion we get something roughly the size and shape and place of this.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I know it won't happen until another expansion, but it would be nice if there was a second elite spec, it's sorta limiting choices from 3 traitlines to 2 for almost every class since it's such a large amount of power except for a couple condition specs.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I would very much enjoy a item that would melt down all the major and minor runes in my inventory and turn them into a single stackable item.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Erdricks posted:

Is anet ignorant of how terrible bunker meta is or so set in their ways they just don't care?

They nerfed the last heavy bunker meta when the game released, seems they didn't really learn much from it however since it's just as bad as the release days of a single guardian holding up a team forever.

As someone who pvps on tempest, it's rather pointless to fight other tempest, I can literally sit down 1vs1 and our passive defenses will keep us topped off at 100% before I need to use one of my 4 heal skills.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 15, 2015

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Vendictus Prime posted:

What is the top dps in the current meta for PVE? I have all classes at 80 and have been trying out all the new specializations, but not sure which to play at the moment.

Short answer is everything but thief.

Long answer is tempest for anything with a big hitbox, herald berserkers for damage and might and condi berserkers are strong, chronomancers make the best tanks and you need chronomancers in raids for alacrity and time warps, dragon hunters do good damage but I don't see them often in raids, condi engi are highly desired in raids for their damage and more importantly slick shoes just melting any defiance bar better then any other class because they drop 6+ pulsing 2 second knockdowns on top of a boss, slick shoes are so good I wouldn't be surprised at a nerf.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I went from trying tempest to berserk and it just feels like a lot of the stuff I got for free on tempest, like swiftness/protection/stunbreak automatically when starting overload, the berserk mode has to be traited for that sort of thing like automatic stunbreak, and most of the traits aren't quite as impressive because they are mostly stuff I assumed would be default on the class and are competing with eachother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
http://www.gw2spidy.com/item/38294 Look at that price drop off a cliff.

• Locked thread