Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Mercurius posted:

It's all going to depend on what each scavenger hunt entails, really.

Well, if they're anything like the scavenger hunt collections that exist now, they'll each have about 25% things you've already done or do regularly, 70% things that are fun to seek out and can have a couple knocked out in an evening, and 5% of things that require a specific chapter of LS2 and ~15 hours of difficult challenge with a full party to attain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Harrow posted:

That is possibly for the best. When you play PvP, either you win, or you invent new swear words to describe those incompetent fucksacks who you've been saddled with as teammates.
I've been running a premade guild team with some RL friends of mine, and it's much more fun. Especially if you're all on Mumble. Even the times when we were down a single member and needed a pubbie, we had much more fun than solo-queuing. We did it for like 5 hours straight without tiring. Even my easily stressed-out GF loved it.

kater posted:

... And yes I specifically went with Ele and not Tempest because holy poo poo that mess is a trap stay away...
I dunno; I was running a cele tempest in a premade sPvP game the other night, and I was keeping up my group mates pretty easily. My latent AoE healing from just lolling around made it so it was virtually impossible for the opposing team to kill my allies until I was dead.

... Of course, as soon as they noticed this, they'd focus me first, but...

Ghostpilot posted:

That's not so bad when you get to the new areas and realize that enemies are virtually immune to a lot of effects like immobilize, chill, etc.
rpg_problems.txt

Vermain posted:

The biggest problem is that the vast, vast majority of non-hammer/bow weapon skills for Warrior are some variety of "deals damage," and that's all they do. Take a look at any of the Revenant's weapon skills and it's generally something along the lines of, "Shadowsteps you to target while applying Weakness and Chilled and you gain stacks of Might whenever you're blocked," versus the Warrior's, which are generally something along the lines of, "Deal damage and gain Fury for 4s." They bring so little utility to the table compared to almost every other class in the game.
fight-man_problems.txt
wizard_supremacy.txt

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Illuyankas posted:

Why does Tangled Depths have to hurt me so

I found a way through the world geometry in TD the other day. It's super easy to reach and you can get exploration on the whole zone with no effort just swimming around in the Undersea. If you actually want to pop back up into the world somewhere, all you need is a Flash-like teleportation skill. Turns out, those don't detect pathing collisions from under the ground :smug:

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Kajeesus posted:

gently caress the haters, Tangled Depths is the best zone. :colbert:

I'll grant that the scaling on events could use a lot of tuning, and that the map is not very helpful in navigating it, but it's so gorgeous and full of badass setpieces.

orcane posted:

"looks pretty" is very low on my list of things GW2 has to get right nowadays, hth

Anet knows how to make things look good, now they need to figure out how to design and balance the actual game parts. Any day now, it has only been three years.

Re: guild hall furniture, I like the bench some guy linked in this reddit thread: http://imgur.com/YjGZZ5k (not asurabutt.jpg)

Games > The MMO HMO > Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns - The Prettiest Cluster You Ever hosed

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

WTF is a

Late Unpleasantness posted:

... momfights especially... checking for an active momfight...

???

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Kajeesus posted:

I wonder what they paid the guy who did the LA/Dry Top loading screens.

They are pretty rubbish, aren't they?

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Magres posted:

...On the other hand I've definitely advertised for the speedrun floors then "accidentally" dragged my pubs into other floors for funsies.

The GW2 version of "Oops, wrong hole portal"?

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

morcant posted:

Same. I love gliding and running around the big zones, but the actual content in them is lacking. And the need to grind events to accomplish anything is not a big hit with me, either. Is there a reason besides laziness they went with constant events as opposed to hearts?

Well, events and hearts aren't really comparable-- hearts are more like the adventures, except adventures are nearly 100% improved. The only downside is that they are arbitrarily locked at night. I wish they'd cut that out.

Events have always existed and are awesome, except when every event is scheduled in relation to everything else in the zone and isn't as "organic" as the classic ones. I'd say that's the real problem in the new zones. That and the events that are nearly impossible to complete, anyway, like Gerent.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

...Orr was always a different place compared to the rest of the game. You know exactly what I mean...

Of course we know what you mean, but how is outing Orr as Not :airquote: One of the Good Ones :airquote: pertinent to discussion?

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

AmericanGeeksta posted:

So I really suck at generating any type of cash flow in this game. I'm looking at getting my crafting up, and that requires gold. So what do you all do when you need to generate some cash. I'm not looking for anything crazy, just something I can do here and there to generate a bit of gold.

Well, the answer was doing circuits of Brisban and Gendarran for Soft Wood, but now...

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Xand_Man posted:

Never heard of it in GW2 but in Fallout there's a vault filled entirely with the clones of a single guy, and "Gary!" is all they say.

Ok, so people have finally gotten bored with Fallout 4 and brought their cultural contamination back with them; got'cha.
At least wear a face mask when you've caught something, people, sheesh.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

rantmo posted:

Could be from the comic Rat Queens; there's a Gary that no one likes because he's the worst. Even dogs don't like him.

Or, perhaps even...?

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

ItBurns posted:

I have become a master of the choir bell game and holey moley does it give a lot of gold. I'm making almost as much per hour as I do IRL unless you count eatin the old bread.

Welp, I guess I need to get better at this minigame.

Unless you work at McDonald's, IRL, I mean. I have no idea what your hourly rate is.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

knowonecanknow posted:

Are there any good spots to make Troll's Revenge easier with gliding? That JP should have a mastery point attached to it's cheevo.

Trolls Revenge is absurdly difficult. They should have a return to checkpoint feature like in the Silverwastes JP. It took me about two hours with my mesmer to finish the drat thing (set portal, do some of the run, wait for portal to refresh, repeat) and I swore never to do it again. I like pieces of it: it's a cool puzzle. They just seriously need to take away some of the bite of falling.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Mercury_Storm posted:

Did they ever release any other gem store gathering tools that give something extra like the Clockwork Mining Pick gives sprockets or are there any versions of the other tools that are better in some way than the others? I heard there's an herb gathering tool that finishes much faster than the normal one, but I'd rather get one that gives extra stuff if possible.

Having the gathering flute, I can attest that it takes only about 1/3 to 1/2 of the channeling bar to actually gather, and if you animation cancel (by moving or drawing your weapons) you can harvest at what feels like light-speed.

I don't think any other endless tools provide any bennies, though.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

knowonecanknow posted:

So much for gliding through Troll's Revenge.

I hope that, if you deploy your glider inside the bounds of Troll's Revenge, Gnashblade appears through a portal and shoots a hole in your glider with a BLTC-skinned pistol and laughs at you.

... it would fit the spirit of the puzzle to a tee.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

gandlethorpe posted:

Rip celestial amulets.

Good riddance.

What? In sPvP? Really?

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

Well it's free content they can't monetize in the gem store, so even with good intentions there's your answer. Harsh but true.

Minis of those critters can be monetized. :smuggo: Checkmate.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Aleph Null posted:

Let Palawa Joko show Zhaitan how to do undead with style?

Would legitimately love this.
It could allow for them to have another set of more laid back zones. Rather than ponying up the resources to fight a local lord, the Pact says it's "you're job, not ours. We fight dragons." And you have a valid reason for not having every zone be a warzone 100% of the time: the PCs are the only ones interested in freeing Elona. Everyone else thinks they have bigger fish to fry.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Sprite141 posted:

Yeah, basically each dragon has a weakness. Mordremoth's weakness was the dream, and you steal the dream from him. Zhaitan's weakness was the corruption of orr. By healing the corruption the big bad dragon became stupidly weak amd easy to kill. Yes, this is anet's explaination to him being such a stupidly easy boss.

Let's get a head start on the sea dragon, then. New law: All nations must dispose of their garbage in the sea. We'll show that rear end in a top hat. Heh-heh-heh.

[edit] Or, joke option, when we finally get around to the sea dragon, (last but not least, right?) we'll find that he's already dead. Choked to death on the runoff from the Black Citadel.

Blasphemeral fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 21, 2016

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

hawk wing gliders in the gemstore yessss

Bird Person posted:

I approve.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Xun posted:

I just realized that HoT came out late october. The expansion kept my interest for two months, which for me also included classes and finals and a long vacation with very little internet. :sigh:

Beyond verdant brink, I've barely entered the other new zones. I've been into each one a couple times, but the only things that might compel me to go there are entirely blocked by the hassle.

For example, the adventures are mostly pretty cool... but getting to them through the huge morass of terrible that is the level design isn't worth it. If there were waypoints at or near the start to them, I'd do them more often. That, and having to have it be both (A) day and (B) opened via quest chain, means I can't reliably do them.

Another example was Mordremoth. I've wanted to try the Dragon's Stand meta multiple times, but whenever I go there the zone is deserted and whenever I ask in GChat everyone's all "nah, don't waste your time." :shrug:

I'm using Tempest just because it's so good, but I don't think the price of the expansion can be justified just by the elite spec.

Blasphemeral fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 22, 2016

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

I wrote an extensive guide on HoT adventures, which includes instructions on how to get to them and a link to one of the many timer websites that are available to show you when you can play them:

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/hot/Guide-Adventures-Silver-Gold-and-beyond

Hey, thanks, I'll check this weekend.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

This is hilarious. Is this official? I doubt it, but I really hope it is.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

... i think they should build in structural bullshit-callers to their internal processes. a person or people whose sole purpose would be to respond to internal proposals with counterpoint proposals that point out all the tone-deaf ways that the internal proposal will come across to players

We've got a guy like this for our hobby development team. He's not a coder, he just sits in on meetings sometimes and, very occasionally, raises his hand and says, "That's a dumb idea. Pull your head out of your rear end." We love him for it. Any self-aware dev team should have one of those guys. We call him our "No-Man".

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Schpyder posted:

No one should ever read Ayn Rand, not even Ayn Rand edits.

:eyepop:
Wait, wait, wait--
Are you telling me that was actual copy from an actual published work?

I thought it was from an Anime Speech Lorem Ipsum Generator or something.
:shrug:

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

... WvW is the most active part of the game these days.

I'm not on Maguuma, but if this statement is generally accepted as true across most servers, it's a horrible condemnation of the game as a whole.
On Fort Aspenwood (Fapspinwood) I only ever see other pubs zipping in to get the easy dailies and then zoning out, even though we hold the majority of all three borderlands at nearly all times. Either there's some serious zergs out there that I simply never see (even enemy ones!) or it's a dead game mode.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Polegrinder posted:

That's how I feel and I can only pick two classes, well I did make a second account, so I technically I can pick from 4 now. I'm thinking Ranger, Elementalist, and either a Rogue or Engineer. Although a Warlock with all the minions sounds fun...

You probably don't want to have two accounts, as a massive amount of stuff is shared account-wide across all of your characters. You'd have to do a lot of things twice (once for each account) if you go this route. If you want more characters, just pony up the :10bux: for another slot. It'll seriously be worth it.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Probad posted:

That quaggan aviator mail carrier would make a good glider skin.

You leap off, press [SpaceBar], a quaggan with a bunch of balloons tied to his belt catches you under the shoulders...

I'd probably buy it. I'd absolutely buy it if it has four dye channels, one for each of the three balloons and one for the quaggan's skin tone.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Dig-Nightie. I think it's what people wore to bed in the 50s.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Illuyankas posted:

Wow, some of those new BL skins look pretty grea-

HOLD THE gently caress UP SON

... so they added dyeability to an item that isn't accessible anymore?
That sure is a good use of dev. time.

I'll take back this criticism if they make that skin available again somehow. I've wanted it for basically forever.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Alteisen posted:

Holy poo poo that thing must clip horribly.

It does. I tried it out in the preview window and--y'know how every female armor-legs has a butt-cape? And how some male armor does, too? It clips through them. Every single piece of armor I looked at clips it. It's like they didn't even test it with clothes on. The model designer just had his naked women equip the shield and said, "yep, that's great! Ship it!"

[edit] Even the piece in the screenshot up there will clip if you're running around.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

John Lightning posted:

Wizard's hat is back on the gem store for 200 gems. 7 days only BUY BUY BUY

ARE YOU SERIOUS!?
*runs out the door, aimed towards home; getting out his credit card on the way*

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Sprite141 posted:

... Also, I used to be poo poo at mesmer and had no clue how to play chronomancer. While running through the entirety of hot's story I kinda got the hang of both. I'm way better at staying alive, blinking and shattering clones now. Though I need to get used to hitting F5 and F4. I might pickup a dorky gamer's mouse so I can bind the F keys on it. Anyway, I mostly only use the greatsword. I need to start forcing myself to use 1h sword more.

My first GW2 character was a mesmer, since I loved them so much in GW1. For the longest time, I just thought everything in GW2 was just meant to be a really hard fight until I tried Elementalist and Guardian and realized that mesmers just kinda suck at PvE. I really *want* to like my mesmer, as I am quite good at platforming and a number of my RL friends I play with, including the GF, suck at them, and portals really make it easy to play together. But drat, elementalist is so much better I just can't go back. I'd even play scepter ele before mesmer. Maybe chrono will change that? I dunno. I don't really have the patience to go back and unlock it.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

... it's stupid as poo poo that they say they don't make new armor sets anymore because it 'takes a lot more effort on their part' but if they can't scrounge together the people to make new armor sets then what the hell does that say about the rest of the game. it's an mmo.

If the ANet folks in this thread take away any one thing, it should be this. The end game is entirely pretty princess dress-up. I've run out of interesting new outfit pieces to work towards and have been playing much, much less because of it.

I've always found the effort/reward divide for skins in this game to have a really odd rift. Am I the only one? Let me explain:

There's equipment and skins that are whites/blues/greens. You get all of these as a matter of course while leveling. You will have them all. That's great as a basis for not having a naked character.
We'll call this the Zero Effort Tier.

Then, there's the ones you can only get through karma or WvW vendors. They might take some currency, but you'll reasonably acquire karma and WvW tokens as you play casually. In this tier there's also the rare drops. Things that are exotic and only drop rarely, but you can generally get them for between 3 and 50 gold on the auction house. They're nearly always available and you can save up the gold over time doing whatever you like.
We'll call this the Casual Tier.

So far, we've got two fairly reasonable tiers that seem to offer a difficulty/time progression. After this, though, everything goes to poo poo exponentially fast.

Next we've got the dungeon sets. To get these sets, you're gonna need tokens that only drop in a deprecated, group-content game-mode that no one plays anymore. For even one piece of one of these sets, you need an average of 200 dungeon-specific tokens, requiring between 4 and 10 successful runs to acquire, depending on if you want to do it over multiple days or all at once. That means, to get a full set of just one weight class of this armor, you might need to find a group to run the same instance a minimum of 18 times over 18 days, or else 60 times in one day.
We'll call this the Overachiever Tier.

Next, we've got the Ascended Armor and Event Skins. Ascended armor is the best stat-wise in the game, so it makes sense that it should take some time to make it. Except that the amount of work required is utterly insane. First, you've got to grind one of your crafting skills to 500. Getting to 400 skill isn't so bad, it's even kinda fun and a good way to level. But from 400 to 500, there's basically nothing worthwhile to craft that doesn't cost about 10-gold per and also have a time-gate of 1/day on it. Then, you need to spend between 100 and 150 gold per piece on top of that.
Event Skins are similar in investment except better/worse depending on your desired kind of investment. Most of these, are based around running a seasonal event. They typically require complete devotion to the event for the entirety of the week or two that it's available to aquire. We're talking devoting over 4 hours per day for limited days or weeks to get these. Remember the rotating Mordrem event before HoT release? It didn't even give you XP, but it was the only way to get those shoulders, gloves and those halo/horns tonics! If you wanted those, I hope you spent about 18 hours over the three or so days it was active!
We'll call this the Bored Out Of Our Mind Tier.

Finally, there's the Gemstore/Black Lion skins. This stuff, if you want it without dropping actual cash monies on it, is going to take you forever to get. Converting Gold to Gems is one of the shittiest exchange rates I've ever seen for time invested to outcome. And even if you want to drop real money, the Black Lion skins don't even give you a guaranteed return rate. You have to get lucky on opening chests--basically pulling a slot machine handle. According to the drop rates on the GW2 wiki, assuming average odds, and using some napkin math, you get about ~5 tickets per 10,000 chests. If you get a skin when it's first available, and worth the rare 1 ticket (rather than the 2, 3, 4 or more tickets, otherwise) it will cost you about $312 US to acquire one of these.
Also in this tier are Legendary Skins. These things, according to the new collection achievement quests available, take about 10-times the time and materials of crafting an Ascended item of the same slot.
We'll call this the Are You loving Kidding Me Tier.

I don't know if I'm the only one to wonder why there's such a huge gulf in between the Casual Tier and the Overachiever Tier, but it seems like some seriously underused design space. There's a bunch of people you could be catering to that would love more challenges in that range. And the existing players that already go above that range would have their play experience extended by also seeking out stuff in that range.

I can't be the only one wondering, "What's the deal with not having more offerings in that investment range?" Even adding more stuff in the Overachiever Tier would be good, assuming it's not deprecated and under-rewarded, which makes what does exist in that tier even less useful.

Blasphemeral fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 22, 2016

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

orcane posted:

This has always bothered me even tho I almost tolerate the overachiever tier because that's somewhat of an MMO standard (it shouldn't be, but MMOs are awful). The fact HoT basically has only the three last tiers and outfits on the gem store makes it so much worse.

I'm glad my effortpost didn't get completely lost at the bottom of the last page. :shobon:

Visidan posted:

April 1st, SAB.

I really hope so. I never got to see it except in people's lovely Youtube streams. Is the day finally nearing? :pray:

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Pseudoscorpion posted:

Not gonna lie, even before I started working at Anet this has always been a sticking point for me since it shows kind of a fundamental misunderstanding on how software is developed.

Let's say I give you the task to write a program that outputs "Hello, world!". Pretty easy, right? This is usually the first program people will ever write. You can do it in one line of code, in some languages!
Believe me, I totally understand the sentiment. It's super frustrating as a player to see that the end of the day, nothing significant appears to have changed, but just because the end result looks close to the original doesn't mean there wasn't a significant amount of work on our end to actually make it look and feel like it did with those new features too.

I'm a software developer professionally, and I agree with a lot of what you say given your hypothetical hello world program. I have personally written a server-based chat program that does exactly what you describe as part of a hobby network-based game I have been developing in my free time. With GW2, though, what we're talking about with the LFG system is leveraging stuff that already exists--as in, everything should be there to do this already. They're not doing new development with unknown pitfalls and hang-ups.

I'll tell you for absolutely certain that if they can't perform a simple text-replace without it taking more than a dozen man-hours, their libraries and engine code must be absolutely, abysmally and unbelievably hosed. Localization files are literally text and a find-replace on "Sorrow's Embrace" --> "Frogfucker Prime" or whatever the raid boss is called should take less than a minute, plus a few minutes to double-check the replacements for unexpected consequences. If they need to change GUI graphics somehow, add an hour or two for spin-up of a graphics dev from some other duty.

Like, no joke, this task is about as easy as it gets for people who, presumably, have a resume that says "Software Developer."

Vargs posted:

Other video game developers seem perfectly capable of making changes/adding content on a steady and satisfying basis. Maybe there are good reasons why GW2 is not capable of doing so. I don't care about those reasons though.

Yeah, exactly. If your competitors can do it but you say you can't, it raises questions as to why you can't.

Blasphemeral fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 28, 2016

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

ItBurns posted:

When is your game coming out?

Where is the playable alpha?

Where can I download the roadmap?

My game's currently only a hobby and I have an actual career that pays money, so I may never get the game to release-readiness. Such is life. I have gotten quite far on an unpaid, free time only, hobby project, though. Imagine if I were being paid to do it.

Believe me, though, if I do get something playable, you jerks will be the first to hear about it. I'm just not gonna waste your time with vaporware and promises for the future that may be empty promises.
... Unlike ANet?

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

mike12345 posted:

they're super empty. and big.

Yeah. I generally like the aesthetic better than the old alpine maps, and not needing to run a huge way around and jump off cliffs to get out of the main city is nice, but the open areas are just too damned huge. I ran with a zerg one night and we stuck to just one corner of one of the maps and the rotation for just hitting stuff in that corner was near an hour.

Maybe if they had more stuff in the open areas, ways to focus people into a main, shifting battleground, and more waypoints to make that focusing easier, they'd be great. Running for 10 solid minutes just to be sniped by a band of roamers before you get to anything interesting is loving silly.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Toraen posted:

I'd love to learn healing for raids (druid), but I can only make it to sunday times, so everyone else please fail to kill the bosses.

Without healing, they just might :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

I have been exclusively logging in to play SAB, and after fighting through normal mode world 1 with the GF, I found it fun. I tried to start on World 2 and figured if I was going it alone, I could try Tribulation mode. Upon entering the world I found a seemingly impenetrable field of insta-death spikes. Is this intentional? Is there some gimmick I don't know about? How am I supposed to achieve anything?

• Locked thread