Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Totbot
Oct 4, 2013

Softface posted:

Not in HoT, but Scarlet will be the Legend that the Revenant channels for its next elite spec.

The skills practically make themselves.

"Later Tater" would be a stun break and teleport skill. "Die Die Die" for a damage dealing skill.

I expect to see some Gems in the mail for my ideas Anet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013
I'm probably not the best person to defend the dungeon change since I don't do dungeons, but reducing the gold from them makes sense. Dungeon running creates a lot of gold in the economy. Silverwastes and world bosses in general don't. You get a couple gold for Teq and some silver out of champ bags, but most of the money I make from running world bosses or Silverwastes comes from selling stuff to other players. That just shifts gold from one player to another without creating it. Hell, it actually reduces it to some extent with Trading Post fees.

But yeah, reducing the gold and not increasing tokens or whatever seems like a bad move. They should just give Dungeons (and WvW) track rewards like pvp has.

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013
gently caress HoT, need Pumpkin Hammer.

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013

SlothBear posted:

I just don't see why they think people will want to play a not as good version of a moba when all mobas are free already.

The reason I'm interested in it is exactly because the people who play mobas won't be playing the GW2 moba due to it being a not as good version.

As awful as the GW2 population is, its still nothing compared to the poo poo people that mobas get.

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013
Man, Spirit Weapons might become somewhat usable. At least Sword of Justice since its damage isn't terrible.

Considering I first rolled my Guardian at launch because the concept art for Spirit Weapons looked badass and I haven't used them since, that makes me happy.

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013
We also don't know how much the skills and traits cost overall. The Elite line is 400 points, but we don't know the order the weapon/armor piece are in versus the traits and skills and the costs for everything. The skins could very well be a decent chunk of the 400. So even if some hero points are locked behind masteries, it might be possible to max the skills and traits without needing them.

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013
So I managed to get a couple of hours play time in before work. Everything in the new zones is very pretty.

Now I'm at work where everything is not very pretty.

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013
Overall, its still an MMO expansion. Instead of having an extra 10 levels to grind through like in a game like WoW, content is gated behind masteries. So you still need to do content to level to be able to do more content.

There just isn't a gear reset like in WoW.

I'm kinda ok with that.

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013
I don't know if anyone else mentioned it, but it looks like pve/wvw got more stat sets?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3pwdzu/new_stats_and_specialization_runes/

I could see Maurader being decent if you want a little extra Survivability. I know Guardian would feel a little more safe with that extra Vit.

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013

Dreggon posted:

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

That's not really a gear reset. Not like the old stat combos are useless. Zerk will still be the best for direct damage for most classes.

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013
I maxed out two Elite specs in two days. :smuggo:

WvW is reeeaaallly good for Hero points. Basically every time you gain a WvW rank you get a chest that has items that you can trade for Hero points. Each chest has 2-4 of the item. With xp and wvw boosts and a decent Ktrain, you can rank up extremely fast. SMC alone gives like 3/4 of a level with boosts.

The hero point item is character bound, but the chest is account bound, so you can even bank the chests to open on other characters.

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013

malhavok posted:

Would edge of the mists be faster?

Probably. I'm in T1 myself, and yesterday a lot of the guilds on the different servers agreed to ktrain each other's sides for a few hours. EoTM is probably faster normally.

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013
I have a question about game mechanics. So assuming someone puts down a pulsing AoE spell like Necro wells and then gains Might stacks after casting it, does the well damage increase? Or does the entire Well duration use whatever your power was when you first cast it?

I'd assume the well damage changes depending on your changing might, but I know some MMOs in the past have done the later.

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013
What does everything think the "easiest" class for HoT content is so far? My wife might be interested in playing again. She's only gotten to lvl 20 or so in the past, but I'm afraid that if she does get into the game this time around that she'd hit the HoT content and get frustrated by the difficulty spike.

I'm thinking Ranger since pet and bow always seem like a decent option for a more casual player doing world events. Plus, there is always the pokemon effect of gotta catch them all for pets. I don't play ranger, so I don't know how they've been in the new content.

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013
I considered Necro since my Reaper is tanky as gently caress even in dps gear, but Reaper is pretty melee heavy and HoT can be pretty punishing for melee if you don't have pretty good reaction times. Base Necro might not be bad, though.

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013
Glint/Shiro presses about as many buttons as most non-Engineer classes that I've played. You just don't spam them.

You start in Glint, throw up all your facets except for the elite. When you run out of energy, which will be pretty quickly, you switch to Shiro. You then use your heal and impossible odds. Throw in sword 3 when you can. When out of energy you switch back to Glint and repeat. So total its about 9 buttons not counting using the swiftness facet active right before losing energy in Glint for the AoE damage, using the elite facet to break bars, using offhand skills, or using Shiro skills when needed for movement or a stunbreak.

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013
Just need more Exalted Mastery xp and I'll have my gaudy Glint Shield. Binged out a lot of the collection yesterday.

Specialization collection achievement gear is probably my favorite thing about the expansion so far. I really like having something to work towards that doesn't involve just throwing gold at it. Hope they add more stuff like that.

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013

GI_Clutch posted:

I'd just like if they replied to issues posted on their official forums. It seems like there are more posts of "Look what dev X said on this reddit thread" on the official forums than responses from devs on the official forums. Isn't the point of having official forums having an official place to discuss and address things?

For an MMO, the official forum is more or less just a place for awful MMO players to bitch and whine. Its basically there to contain those types of players. This lets other forums have slightly less of those people. Other companies, like Blizzard, have been using Reddit and Twitter more and more it seems too.

Like the Reddit subreddit isn't great, but its still miles better than the official forums.

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013
I kinda want to make a white human female ranger using the Royal Guard outfit, Zenith weapon skins, and only use default named bears.

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013
I've found the best way to play the expansion is to just not worry about masteries. After you get updraft and bouncy mushrooms, you have enough to do the majority of the content. Exalted 1 and then the frog tunnels also help a decent amount.

My mastery level is in the 60's, and I haven't focused on grinding at all. I've just gone around and done events, which is pretty much what I've always done in the game. No grind for me so far.

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013

ItBurns posted:

I've gotten as much as 16 per run and average around 13 with just updraft and bouncy shrooms

This is my exact experience. I usually get around 12-13 but 16-20 isn't impossible with luck.

There are basically two areas that have a lot of pods. The area with the Legendary Wyvern and then the area with the Tigers. Both areas are the areas that the Red arrows point to. For the most part you'll want to see which area the zerg goes to first after the meta event since trying to get pods in these areas by yourself sucks. Most DS's that I have done have had people say in map chat where they plan to go first.

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013
Most of my time in GW2 is spent playing WvW casually in T1. The reason I like it is because its very easy to just go into WvW, join a group doing stuff, and then do stuff. That change completely removes that as an option for me, so its kind of a game breaker for me. I hope its not true, but if it is, I'll probably quit the game.

Not going to melt down about it, though. I enjoyed my time in GW2 and had a lot of fun. But those changes are just not for me.

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013

Amante posted:

I do appreciate the army of fanboys coming out to defend a tedious and poorly thought out expansion, though.

Army of fanboys? This thread is like 90% bitching and crying.

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013
Removing hearts in favor of events is like the prime example of Anet actually listening to the community for once. In 3 years, I've never really seen anyone say they like hearts outside of "hey, at least they're better than the common MMO quest hub that requires a lot of running back and forth".

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013

Brain In A Jar posted:

I think I can honestly say that as an idiot who paid full price for Wildstar at launch, it was still a better purchase than HoT turned out to be.

I know this thread is big on the HoT hating right now, but worse than Wildstar?

The game where your character could bug out during the stupidly long and grindy attunement chain, and the Dev's response was "sucks to be you, roll a new character".

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013
Looks like I get to make the new holiday shoulder item, cause Deathflix and Chill needs a snowflake aura.

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013
The problem with most MMOs, especially Warlords of Draenor, is that MMO devs are still really into the "raid or die" mentality. Raids being the primary content focus is an MMO thing that needs to finally die. People like raiding, but they don't want raiding to be the primary focus anymore. WoD being nothing but Raids and meaningless Garrison crap is what finally made me quit WoW after 10 years, and judging by their subs being cut in half in a year, I'm obviously not alone in that. A lot of MMO players are people who were children/teenagers who started with WoW and are now adults who just find of want to log in and gently caress around for a couple hours, and even casual raiding can be a chore.

In all honesty, its one thing that HoT did get right for me. Raids are not the primary focus. They are there, but HoT focused way more on the open world events.

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013

malhavok posted:

WoW is like 12 years old, there are very very few 12 year old games people still play today. "WoW tanked because pet_reason" claims have very little to do with reality, the game is just old and the fact that it still has many millions of subscribers is a proof of their success not that they screwed up somehow.

And yet whenever WoD is brought up, people always mention Garrisons and there being nothing to do besides raiding. The age is obviously a big factor in sub drops, but so is the fact that there was nothing to do beside raid.

No one is saying WoW isn't successful, but WoD did screw a lot up and lost more subscribers than the game would have if it didn't screw stuff up.

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013

malhavok posted:

It is simply ridiculous to claim that a 12 year old game with 5 million subs is "terrible". That can only be seen as an incredible success, not as some kind of proof of how bad they screwed up by not listening to you.

It can be both you know. WoW is clearly a successful game, but WoD was terrible in many ways and screwed stuff up.

Kinda like how GW2 is a fairly successful game, but people have problems with HoT so far?

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013

Adhesive Gamin posted:

Oh yeah World of Warcraft let you make alerts for yourself like that"

Back during Molten Core in WoW, the boss Baron Geddon would put a debuff on a random player called Living Bomb that would explode and deal AoE damage to the raid. So whoever got it would need to move away from the raid or it would wipe the raid. Naturally, addons came out that would automatically whisper the people who got the debuff. The one that was used by my guild would whisper "You are the bomb". A real life friend of mine who was also in the guild got the debuff, got that whisper, and responded with "Thanks!" thinking he was being complimented. He then blew up and wiped the raid.

This story really has nothing to do with GW2 or the conversation at hand, but I just really like telling it.

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013
I'm trying my best to figure out how that can be seen as a troll. Unless this thread has fallen so far that "liking HoT" can be considered a troll.

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013
And its entirely possible to like the expansion and not agree with all the doom and gloom?

Got it. Opinions only matter when its your opinion.

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013
Arus being a whiny baby when people don't agree with him.

Par for the course.

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013
I've been playing Druid and I can't honestly say there is anything that I feel like needed changed. How Celestial Avatar works is fine. Its balanced around needing full power to activate it and balanced around you staying in the mode long enough to make use of it otherwise you lose a lot of power by canceling it early. Its a very powerful ability. I'd like it if all weapon types built it at the same speed, but really, if I'm in a position where I need to be getting to CA faster, I'd probably be using staff anyway.

Otherwise, number tweaking for the sake of number tweaking isn't exactly a good idea. If they think Druid is balanced, what point would there be to upping or lowering damage/healing/cooldown numbers? Just to make you feel better that they aren't negligent or apathetic? I really don't hear too many people complaining about Druid being over or underpowered (outside of the usual lot that claims every class is over/underpowered).

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013
Ranger as a class still got changes. Ranger changes still can effect Druid. Plus, they did remove Cele Amulet and Durability runes, both of which Druids often used in pvp.

Just because they didn't needlessly change any Druid stuff directly doesn't mean things didn't change for them overall.

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013

MooCowlian posted:

edit: Totbot posted after I started writing this. The amulet changes and stuff affected everyone else too. The fact remains that the ranger changes are half-arsed in comparison to the other classes and doesn't bode well for the future.

I don't really agree. The shout changes may not be meta-changing, but they actually took effort. They completely re-designed how some of the shouts functioned. Thief and Rev changes may actually be meta-changing, but they were very low effort. Increase and decrease some numbers. Yeah, super exciting there. If anything, those changes were the half-arsed ones.

Simply put, Druid did not need any changes. 1 spec that doesn't need change not getting change out of all of them isn't going to suddenly make the game go stale.

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013
They added launchpads elsewhere too. There is one outside Ebonhawke as well.

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013
Its really hard to know how "well" Gw2 is doing. With megaservers, its near impossible to tell if the population is low because you're always seeing people. The LFG is filled with just as many groups as before the expansion, but instead of just being Silverwastes its spread out between SW and all the new HOT zones. The only area that can really be obviously seen as being hurt (outside of the obvious dungeons) is WvW.

I do enjoy HoT. I like all the elite specs and I like open world event zones. I just wish they'd go back to the every 2 week minor content schedule with the occasional big content mixed in.

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013
What baffles me is that even if they can't produce new content quickly, you'd think they could rehash old content more in the meantime. Crown Pavilion, SAB, ect. Hell, they could even redo certain Season 1 things like the tit-robot fight and lore it in by calling it some sort of festival and say the version you're fighting was made to celebrate the original's defeat. I'm sure there are issues with bringing back older content that might break the current code, because all MMO code is written on used napkins, but even WoW has a steady stream of holiday content to give players something during content droughts.

Probably didn't help that they decided to do Halloween and HoT release at the same time, so that was two content patches thrown together for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013
I've bought, played, and regretted a lot of MMOs over the past decade.

Wildstar is one of my few wins because I never touched it. As soon as I read that the focus would be on 40 man raids and long attunements, I stopped reading. No amount of pre-release MMO hype could make me look past that.

• Locked thread