Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

I see three non-80s, you slacker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

ijyt posted:

Am I crazy or did class trainers exist at one point that sold you trait books or something.

2012 GW2 was so different to 2015.

They did. It was something like 50s for the adept book at level 20, 1g for the master book at level 40, and 2g for the grandmaster book at level 60. And you had to pay like 20 or 40s to reset your trait allocation at level 80.

What we have now is sooooooooo much better. You aren't forced into specific trait lines for stats, you can respec at any time out of combat, and you get three full trait lines, instead of 2.33.

It's unfortunate that a few good traits got the axe in the new specializations system (fare thee well, elixir-infused bombs), but the overall increase in flexibility is well worth it, IMO.

Schpyder fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Oct 8, 2015

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

:siren: LEGENDARY BIRD STAFF :siren:

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

I find the dungeon changes kind of hilarious, since the last major revamp they got was eliminating gold dropped by champs and bosses, completely killing gold find as a useful stat, and moving all the worthwhile rewards to path completion. Now they just nerf the rewards entirely. Dungeons were a decent way to farm gold (one of the only really consistent sources, TBH), now they're not going to be a decent way to do anything, other than get those dungeon master/dungeoneer titles.

I just hope the liquidity moving elsewhere will still keep some similarly effective source of gold/hour for those times when you actually need to farm gold to buy mats for a legendary or something.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Lyer posted:

This is the first time since the initial holiday release right?

Yup, last two years have just been the Bloody Prince fight.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

What I'm wondering is, if fractals are where they're going to be doing new small-group content, and they're getting changed so that a specific fractal is going to be associated with a specific reward scale, how are they going to shoehorn new ones into that rotation?

Or are they not planning on adding more fractals at all, ever? :smith:

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

LiftAuff posted:

I don't have a problem with them offering cash but $400,000 is just flushing money down the toilet.

Clearly they're hoping to get the legendary money precursor.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Sprite141 posted:

How did you read that and think I was melting down?

Rambling, incoherent, stream-of-consciousness 10-paragraph posts tend to come off as functionally identical to ranting diatribes most of the time, dude.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Wait, does that mean it's going to take about 400 hero points to train an elite spec? :psypop:

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Sure does

Hope you weren't planning on playing all your alts.

I guess that just means I need to HoT map completion on all of them as well!

:shepicide:

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Illuyankas posted:

At least I didn't retroactively screw myself by unlocking every traitline on all alts. Just by getting every skill.

While it's a shame I can't dick about with a half-traited herald from the get go, the '100% MC = half an elite spec wtf' guys in that thread are hilarious.

Joke's on you, Colin says you need to have everything trained before you can start putting hero points into the elite spec! :downs:

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Oh my god you guys, I HAVE to get that fishing rod longbow for Fat Hobo. It's literally perfect.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

The heavy leystone helm is rad as hell

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Dulfy has a guild hall claiming guide out already ( :psyduck: ), so members of Goon Squad that want to take part in the guild hall claiming next Friday please make sure you can either get to the forgotten city in Auric Basin, or have a teleport to friend item you can use! We will make sure to have a mesmer with the required mastery (probably me) to port people past the invisible wall.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Mercurius posted:

Welp, crash to desktop at the start of teq and now my client is stuck with connection errors :toot:

hello me

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Hey guys! Good HP training earlier today. I also figured out how to get that HP south of the Eastwatch WP in Auric after we disbanded (needs mushroom jumping).

FWIW, I have some sort of mental disease and have 13 alts with 100% MC, all of which I'm going to be running that train with, so you've got a couple weeks where you can get in on getting most of the HPs in Verdant Brink and Auric Basin in the evenings. The ones I ran today only needed gliding for about 90% of them, and the ones that needed mushrooms or exalted markings had mesmers to port people past those obstacles.

I can tell you for sure that once you get the first rank in all the Maguuma masteries, it's much much faster to just run in a train to get HPs than when you're just starting out in HoT.

Also, Chronomancer owns owns owns.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Hi Goons! There was a LOAD of confusion with the new guild missions system tonight, so I'm going to explain how it all works.

The guild can select whether it wants a preference of PvE, WvW, or PvP missions, or no preference at all (which gets you extra favor). We're mostly a PvE guild, so that's what we're focusing on. ANYWAY. If you open the guild panel and go to the missions tab, this is what you'll see:

There are three tiers of mission difficulty, each of which have a single mission rolled for it each week. In our case, we rolled an easy bounty (random, but easy, we got Poobadoo), a medium challenge (Quaggan rescue), and a hard challenge (Southsun Crab Toss). The rolls for each slot are RANDOM for both mission type and the specific mission, but will always be of the appropriate difficulty. So you can expect to see, say, Scratch Sentry Defense as an option in the easy slot, or Crab Rush in the hard spot. Once the roll is made at reset (sometime on Sunday, not sure when, it was before server reset), the missions are fixed for the week, and can be restarted at will by an officer with appropriate permissions. Just click "launch mission" on the bottom and the mission goes live.

The locked slots under each difficulty unlock at different guild levels. I don't know whether you can get more personal rewards by running all of them, or if it just gives you more choice of what to run. I expect it's the latter. There are also permanent PvE/WvW/PvP slots that can be purchased from the guild hall vendors. These SHOULD give more rewards, being different tiers entirely. I'm not sure if favor rewards are repeatable, but I expect not, and there's a weekly favor cap anyway.

Once all that is done, and you go to a non-bounty mission, EVERYONE NEEDS TO INTERACT WITH THE MISSION MARKER. This puts everyone in an instance for the mission, and once there, it can be started by talking to the Guild Initiative Rep. Yes, everyone needs to touch the thing, but only to get into the instance. Bounty takes place in the open world just like always, and should NOT be touched until everyone is ready. It's less of a disaster if you do, though, since guilds don't need to build missions anymore, and they can be restarted really easily!

Rewards are similar but not quite the same. Easy gives a rare, some resonating silver, 50s, and 1 comm. Medium gives 1 or 2 rares (I forget), some resonating silver, 50s, and 1 comm. Hard gives 2 rares, some resonating silver, 50s, and 2 comms. So at the start, we're now limited to 4 comms per week, but that may go up.

Well, hopefully that explains the new less-random-but-still-random missions!

Schpyder fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Oct 26, 2015

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

poptart_fairy posted:

How is the engineer specialization by the way? Can you forget about dancing between kits and stuff to be decent, and just focus on hitting poo poo with a giant hammer?

It's awesome, more like an entirely different class than chronomancer's enhanced version of mesmer. And yeah, I ditched kits and just hang out in hammer with it.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Hey guys (dentists in particular), I've got a pretty good HP train route figured out that will get you 8/11 points in Verdant Brink and 7/11 points in Auric Basin with almost nothing more than gliding. One of the AB points technically requires mushroom bouncing, and one technically requires exalted marks, but if a mesmer is in the train, those can be bypassed. Total run time today was a little under an hour and a half.

Starting tomorrow, I'll be running an HP train each night after teq/maw (so about 30 min after reset) for the next week or so. This will get you 150 points with very little effort, and if you've got central tyria map completion, should get you trait-complete for an elite spec, and within 5-6 more challenges (maybe less, depending on if you got all the WvW map hero points) from the last utility skill and elite skill. It'll also get you all the WPs in the first two maps, for easier exploration, and a bunch of mastery XP. I'm hoping this will take some of the sting off of the grind.

Message me in game at Schpyder.2917 (or just use Fat Hobo or Nog Oon character names) if you want to get in on it. I won't be running on Friday (that's when GOON is capturing its guild hall) or Saturday (since I'm taking my dad out for his birthday) but I'll be around other than pretty much every night.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Azazell0 posted:

Has anyone still seen that Bladed coat drop anywhere? I'm betting it's something stupid hard like the Auric basin successful meta-event endchest (and even then RNG).

Get the second rank of Itzel Lore (language) and you can buy it from the Itzel mastery vendor at the very first WP in Verdant Brink.

Edit: whoops, just checked, that's all the bladed armor EXCEPT the coat. :v:

Schpyder fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Oct 27, 2015

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Mesadoram posted:

The kind nerds over at DnT posted a video on how to squeeze a good amount of DPS out of the Dragon Hunter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWKSOGhLDi8

Seems like good stuff, got me back in the mood to grind for the HP to finish out the tree. Took me about an hour to get 10 HP from WvW, I think that is going to be the best method to grind it out.

If you join my nightly HP train, you'll get around 150 HP in about an hour and a half with nothing more than basic gliding. And more after that if you have exalted marks, bouncing mushrooms, or updraft usage.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Harrow posted:

About what time do you usually run the HP train? I should probably get it on that. Itching for those high-tier Chronomancer skills.

30 min after server reset.

Mesadoram posted:

I'm on Yaks Bend, can I do cross server groups? Never really did groups in this game besides my friends.

Yep! No cross-server restrictions except between NA and EU servers.

Message me in game at Schpyder.2917 around that time if you want in. I've maxed 3 elite specs so far, should get Druid done tonight.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

There's a new set of Guild armor as well, probably available from upgraded guild halls. Take a look in the wardrobe. There's also maybe a "machined" set of weapons that I only know about because they're listed in the collections for the upgraded elite spec weapons. Might just be collection trash and not actually usable, tho.

ItBurns posted:

Do the elite spec armor pieces eventually combine to make a single hideous armor set? With 6 slots and 9 classes I would assume so.

Chronomancer, Druid, and Tempest have shoulders; Scrapper, Reaper, and Daredevil have helms; Dragonhunter and Berserker have ???

So no.

Schpyder fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 27, 2015

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Great news. Now from a fresh tomed 80, you can join a train and get most of the way there quickly (or almost all the way once you get exalted marks and updraft, if you're willing to run a little longer into tangled depths). This... will actually get me to drag my tomed rev into Verdant Brink and beyond!

Still gonna be running the trains for a while, but now they'll be even more effective!

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

CLAM DOWN posted:

The mobs that can kill you in like 2-3 hits should be toned down, and some of the super dense crowds should be thinned out a bit and just make it so it's not a stressful chore requiring a spec change just to run from point A to point B without killing everything and taking 3 hours as I go. Not a drastic change. I understand and appreciate that they want the new zones to be more difficult, that's fine.

I somewhat agree with this. While I think that for the most part, HoT mobs are fine, there are a few select cases that remind me of launch-era Orr. But whereas launch-era Orr was "gently caress, pulled/immobilized/chilled again, have to kill this trash mob," HoT is "gently caress, got too close to pocket raptor swarm/got tagged by smokescale/got three rolling devils on my rear end, am dead." And that's a little more annoying given the relative paucity of WPs and how frequently they're contested.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Does anybody here have Exalted Mastery 2 and also happen to be a Mesmer? I am missing one PoI in Auric Basin that I would like to get :buddy:

:wave:

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Double Monocle posted:

Just wanted to post about this if anyone was on the fence about it-

Do the goon train. Embrace the fat hobo. He will ninja you in to the hero points and only occasionally watch you slowly glider into a ravine.

It's also a pretty brain dead good time and I get to say "I'm helping " by just keeping herald f2 and swiftness perma toggeled.

'Twas a good time. Took a little longer than I hoped, but that's natural when you're herding 50+ people rather than 20ish.

Also I'll be doing a different alt each night at first, but you can always message/join Fat Hobo to get in.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Eltoasto posted:

Haha the Nightfury recipe is insane. If you want something unique and have a ton of cash, here ya go http://dulfy.net/2015/10/28/gw2-nightfury-halloween-shoulders-recipe/

:eyepop:

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Game seems to be alive again.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Xun posted:

Isn't the cave gated behind exalted mastery 1?

It is, but just one invisible wall that I'll be portaling everyone past if they don't have exalted marks.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

xZAOx posted:

Can anyone give me a TLDR version of what GS guild hall event we're doing? Day and time? What are we achieving? What is required/suggested to be done beforehand (waypoints, masteries, etc)?

I'm ignorant of all things, but especially guild halls. I know GS was doing something on Saturday but I was unable to join in at the time. No idea what was or was not done.

All you have to do is login and read the guild MOTD (press G), but I'll put up a refresher now! We are capturing Gilded Hollow in Auric Basin!

:siren:GOON SQUAD GUILD HALL CAPTURE TIMES:siren:

PDT: Oct 30, 1730 hrs
EDT: Oct 30, 2030 hrs
UTC: Oct 31, 0030 hrs
You will need a waypoint in AURIC BASIN.
Rank 1 Exalted Mastery is recommended!

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Do SSDs even affect GW2 loading times? I have all my games on SSDs and GW2 doesn't load as fast as the singleplayer ones do.

My god, do they ever

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Anet, you guys seriously need a better CDN for patches.

Edit: if you're going to insist on continuing to push them out in the middle of primetime.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Map wouldn't really be helpful, there's a couple less than straightforward parts. Just find a YouTube of someone doing it.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Inzombiac posted:

What?
I couldn't get out of WvW overflow today. Tons of people are doing it for easy HP.

The only way I can see WvW being easy HP is if you're doing an elite spec on a tomed character who is deathly afraid of PvE and the boatload of fast/easy HP you can get there, particularly in the first two zones of HoT.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

CLAM DOWN posted:

Aside from that the only real outstanding concern I have is being able to unlock elite specs on my alts, I have a large number of alts and I can foresee it taking a very very very long time for someone like me with much lower playtime than some.

Truly to get on one of my or Merc's HP trains! I've got a route worked out in VB and AB that will get you 140-150 with nothing more than basic gliding, 170 if we have a mesmer in the train (or you have bouncing mushrooms and exalted marks), all in about an hour and a half. I've also sussed out about 5 HP challenges that are relatively easy in TD with updraft/bouncing shrooms/exalted marks, although I usually don't drag the train there since I try to run it with minimum requirements and I'm also usually tired of herding cats by that time.

As a bonus, you'll also get about half a dozen or more explorable mastery points and every WP in VB and AB!

I've been running them 30 min after reset, but I might push that back an hour with the time change to allow people to eat dinner or whatever. Goons/dentists, let me know what time works best for you!

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Mercurius posted:

Due to my work schedule I won't be able to run any more hero trains until the weekend my time, so Friday night US time. See if you can coax Schpyder to run stuff in the meantime if you still need hero points.

Not to worry, I've still got at least 7 alts I need to run through a train who are currently ready to start one.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Hey guys, speaking of HP trains, I'll be dragging my all-zerker tissue paper cannon staff ele along tonight, so expect to be rezzing me a lot. :v:

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Eltoasto posted:

You going 30 or 60 mins after reset?

30 min, assuming I don't get stuck at work until reset like I did last night. Signs are pretty good that won't be the case today, tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

CLAM DOWN posted:

There's no chance I could convince you to do a later one on even one weeknight, is there? That time is impossible for the NA west coast, it's 4:30pm which is still the work day :(

It'd be kind of tough, 8 PM for you is 11 PM for me, and running the full train would take us close to 1 AM, when I get up at 6:30.

I'd be amenable to running a half train at 11 EST/8 PST, maybe doing VB one night and AB the next? I'd probably be up for doing that a couple times a week for west coast goons. Sound decent?

• Locked thread