Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

ikanreed posted:

It's obvious you want to keep the group private, but my mind still boggles trying to come up with exactly what community fits that description.

Cavalry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Gertrude Perkins posted:

Jordan Peterson

Snip]

Roll 1d20 to clean your room.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
The confusion over topology is because the math-work starts with a donut and a hole instead if a mountain and a tunnel and if you replace hole with tunnel, all of the harder parts make sense except nobody in their right mind would accept a donut tunnel.

So here we are differentiating types of holes.

Pants are two tunnelsholes, because a t-intersection of two tunnelsholes makes three outlets.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

This is brilliant. As a non-Chinese person, I only got clued in because the Chinese pictograms got me to send it to a colleague who is from there, and he pointed me to the original chart: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wuxing_(Chinese_philosophy)

I guess I don't quite see how "dogshit generates horseshit", but then again I could make the same argument against the original chart: How does metal generate water, exactly?

Sounds like Wuxit to me.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Sagebrush posted:

what in hell is this? some kind of "alphabetize everything, even individual digits" programming fuckup?

If I had to guess, it's datatype issues. Probably originally they just sorted by number and it worked, but then they tried to add commas and didn't notice it stop working. Or in testing they used nice clean data, like all numbers and blanks which whatever database software easily interpret as numbers, but when then ran it later with real data some block said "no data" or had a typo which lead to the interpreter pulling in the data as strings instead of as numbers.

When coding stuff, that's why it's important to control the types of fields, but doing so risks cutting out interesting entries from view, so it's not always an easy answer.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Like Julius, Antony, and Marcus, i am attracted to partners with a nice ability to give me economic control of the middle east and territorial consolidation behaves rather like a recessive gene.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Causality is a myth. The ball did not drop because I let it go. I let it go because it would drop. Namaste.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
On one hand, crazy. On the other hand, better than most graphs, due to being superimposed with a sick skull. More diagrams should have skulls. 5/10.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

That whole thing is pure gold.

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/amse/2022/3802603/ posted:

This system of equations is called a normal system of equations and can be solved by solving.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Would legit read a comic explaining economic trends through personifying data points.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I feel like you're all doing it wrong.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Ariong posted:

Hey, you know what they say. It’s Friday somewhere.

Let C be the constant speed of light in meters / second.
Then you're never more than C * 60 seconds per minute * 60 minutes per hour * 24 hours per day * 6 days / 1000 m per km == 518.4*C kilometers or approximately 1038 astronomical units away from a Friday.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

If instead the green countries were shaped like two hands with a golden Haiti as the ring....

piL has a new favorite as of 01:58 on Jan 1, 2023

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Zil posted:

This is a living hell. Always the end of your work week but the weekend never comes.

I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

New Ford F-150 design just dropped.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I'm not sure why they didn't go with "orange" but isn't that the same color as amber anyway? I know the taste is not the same.

Amber is yellow with a splash of magenta.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Platystemon posted:

I’m frankly shocked that the Australian railway folks didn’t plan to kill the camels from the start.

Camels were brought to Austrailia 110 years before anybody coined the word "ecosystem," so nobody thought about the potential feral camel problem. I imagine if you didn't have a lot of mouths to feed you probably ate one and set the rest loose or traded them to the locals in exchange for perpetual mineral rights.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

CommonShore posted:

To be real nobody understands quotation mark"s.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Platystemon posted:

The x‐axis should be labelled with month names, not a smattering of dates in 2023 that only aligns with one of the three plotted datasets.

Blame Julius Caeser, though I suppose he paid a fair price.

(that "smattering" appears to bs evenly spaced 14 days apart, probably because days per month aren't uniform)

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Nenonen posted:

It has nothing to do with how many people are white, or how many people are assholes. It only tells you how well you can predict from one aspect that a person is [something].

To continue the car analogy, in a parking lot with 100 cars there's one car with a sticker that says "Hitler was unironically right 1488 卐" and 99 cars with bumper stickers like "support trans rights" and "black lives matter". The one car with the nazi sticker has 100% predictibilitivinessihood of belonging to an rear end in a top hat despite being 1% of the cars.

Think of it as a coin toss is perhaps a better explanation. If in the year of 1992 you toss a coin on if a pet owner is white, there's a 62% chance that you will get the right answer and 38% chance that you get it wrong. How many white people own pets, how many non-white people own pets, or how many white people there are vs. non-white people is irrelevant to how predictable it is that a pet owner is white. (I mean by themself, combined together you get... this.)

There's probably some sort of foundational error this touches, but this is how statistics is used to describe reality. Because of the influence of mathematics on statistics, statisticians pursue the precision of mathematical definitions, but because statistics deals specifically with inference from incomplete data, predictability is a precise way to describe vague concepts.

What is an apple? Is it the round edible fruit of the tree Malus domestica, often coming in some combination of red, yellow or green? Hard to say. I'd recognize a blue apple as an apple, I'd recognize an inedible apple as an apple, I would recognize something that is absolutely an apple that somehow magically grew from a lemon tree as definitely an apple, and if someone grew an apple into a cube I would recognize it as an apple. A precise statistician may rather do a survey and determine that an object that matched all the characteristics of "being round", "edible", "fruit of the Malus domestica", "red, yellow and/or green", would be "highly predictive" of being an apple, as a way to tell us more about the intrinsic qualities of being an apple.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Agnostalgia posted:

Based on the highest numbers being clustered around the rate of white people in the U.S., I don't think this chart is listing anything like "predictive capability" whatever that means. I think it is just listing the percentage of each ownership group that are white i.e. If someone owns a pet in the US in 2016 there is a 63.4% chance they are white.

This is of course a terrible way to display the data for the point they are trying to make. Whether these numbers make for strong indicators doesn't depend on the raw numbers listed; it depends on how far those numbers are above or below the (unlisted) proportion of whites in the general population.

Predictive capability is relevant twice. First in the measure. There's no need for prediction if you have a true census on a matter. By census, I mean you measure the item of interest on every target of the survey. Example, how many people at a hypothetical high school are taller than 5 ft by measuring the height of each person.

Checking the washing machine status of every white American is a labor intensive task probably not worth the immense cost and probably isn't feasible. Hiring enough people to check every squarefoot of America for both white people and washing machines would be costly, and there are plenty of places where you may not have permission to check. So you take a survey by selecting what is hopefully a random representative sample and then using that to predict the value for everyone. So if I somehow achieve a true random and unbiased sample of people, the "expected value" of that sample is equal to the total proportion of people. But it's only a prediction. To demonstrate, imagine if you only asked one white person whether they have a cat. Now imagine the answer is yes. If we extrapolate that data to a ratio of all people, then we can conclude that 100% of white people have cats. Probably not true though, so you need to achieve a sufficient sample.

This is where the weird stats backwards speak. What's a sufficient sample? Well you want to show that a null hypotheses is extremely unlikely. This is calculated by determining how many samples you need for the probability that 'this is just a fluke' falls beneath your acceptable significance level (α). But at the end this is just a prediction about the true proportion.

So in statistics it's decided how many white people own a cat by determining how likely that some measure of white people with cats was an exceptional circumstance, then drilling the exceptionality of that circumstance to the extreme.

Interpreting data then is also making predictions. How does knowing that 40% of white people own cats help me solve a problem? If I want to know how many cat owners are in a room of 100 white people, I can use that statistic to make a prediction. If I actually know about those specific white people, then why do I care about the stat? The value of the stat is to use prediction so I don't have to measure or for when I can't measure. There may be some unusual edge cases where this isn't the case, but the vast majority of interpretations are just complicated and obfuscated* versions of this.

*much like my posting.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

BonHair posted:

Do you really think "this will make me more like a white person" is a great argument for anything?

"Rescuing a cat isn't the worst reason to ascribe to genetic determinism," is a technically true statement

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Computer development has all been downhill since the 1980s.

Turn on your (VIC-20) monitor.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Elysiume posted:

No, I think that’s Poison.

Depends on where you are.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Mr. Belpit posted:

If anything makes you Chaotic Evil, it's taking a poo poo before getting out of bed.

Anakin: "before going to work, I get out of bed, shower, poo poo, shave, eat breakfast, and brush my teeth in no particular order.

Padme: "There are some particulars to that order...?"

Anakin: "..."

Padme: "There are some particulars? D:"

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

of course

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

It's notoriously difficult to intuit the 1.5x IQR.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Some episodes of the season are Netflix only and some are Hulu only, but if you and a friend each have one of the services you can watch the whole season.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Platystemon posted:

Dicks have less irregular cross sections than tree trunks, and those are routinely ranked in diameter at breast height.

My dick's diameter at breast height is zero.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Wouldn't people who didn't get the baseline described just below the heading just be scratching their head because of 0% pure cocaine?

Either way, while baselines at 100% helps show the growth trend, anything is going to look kind of fucky when described as the ratio of the difference since graphs are already designed to do that.

The graph is already (probably) describing a listed percent (percent cocaine hydrochloride) so it would be better to list just that on the left column instead of the extra layer of obfuscation. Now, we're looking at a the ratio of a ratio which isn't strictly wrong but may be misleading? Im not really sure.

efb

piL has a new favorite as of 16:59 on Apr 27, 2024

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Argh quote is not edit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Blue Footed Booby posted:

:psyduck: why would it be distance traveled?

It's showing the do not exceed speed at different altitudes, but for some reason the vertical axis is reversed.

That's interesting; what's the original contex? It's weird but not unheard of to rotate text 90 deg clockwise. If that infographic was displayed rotated 90 deg clockwise, it's fine.

I wonder if it was intended to be viewed that way and then was either presented as a transparency or full page where the presenter/reader might rotate or was "corrected" by an editor or publisher.