Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Here's something simple and minimalist that might be simultaneously the worst stacked bar char t I've ever seen.

It's supposed to be showing the minimum and average frames per second, look at it for a moment and let it sink in what they did.

I'm crosspostig it from this thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3348051&perpage=40&pagenumber=216#post454067634

The labels are correct but they just directly stacked the min and avg values so the total bar size is min+avg, so the only thing that still makes sense is that more is still better, but otherwise it's completely useless.

Of course it would've been perfectly readable too if the segment sizes were min and avg-min (while retaining the labels).

Oh look, suddenly you can tell at a glance that the stock Pentium has a higher average but lower minimum than the AMD processor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
That's because you're looking at it wrong. It's actually

17+23 = 40 > 38

So it makes sense! When I said the labels are correct, keep in mind that the labels are for the segments separately. Which would make sense if these were daily apple and pear sales, I guess.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Solice Kirsk posted:

Also our baking measurements are better anyways since it doesn't have to be standardized and just rely on the correct proportions of ingredients and you wind up with the correct end product.

Cups and spoons are bullshit for baking though, it really has to be by mass to get any sort of decent repeatability and consistency.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Well, I'm glad I made it through my main wall-punching years without actually punching any.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Aaaaaaaa

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Jesus christ shut the gently caress up about US elections already.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Aramoro posted:

As a company in a Gartner Magic Quadrant that's not actually that bad a chart, they make worse, far far worse. Which you then have to try and interpret the results of so you can end up in the right Quadrant next time.
We're in that chart too and I've seen it at work before, so it didn't even stand out here. The reason it's awful is that loving Tableau is/was leading wtf :argh:

Strudel Man posted:

Business people don't use data.
ah that's why

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Tree Goat posted:

What's wrong with Tableau?

Nothing, really, I'm just mad we're not in the top right corner where we rightfully belong.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Ok some content for a change:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Ok, because for a moment I was worried this was becoming the "guess the unlabeled map" thread now that D&D frowns upon such things.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Christo posted:

With the added bonus of there actually already being an international men's day, November 19th. It's almost like these guys don't actually care about men's issues unless it's to argue with feminists.

Maybe they just wanted to find out when the Men's Day was, because I certainly didn't know.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mikl posted:

Sweden? What the hell? :psyduck:

Assange was very busy during the period.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah it's clearly not intended to go into negative values :v:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Fathis Munk posted:

What? Is it that uncommon of a thing :confused:

You can just clap your fingers against the palm of the same hand.

Just knock on the table like the Germans do.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Holy poo poo I just found another one in yospos:

Edit: It's from this book apparently, pages 99-102, if anyone wants to waste some time: https://www.google.com/url?url=http...e6vBSpeJY3Uwo3Q (PDF warning). The "Destination" from the sign is on p 119, but it's not very funny.

mobby_6kl has a new favorite as of 23:55 on Jun 9, 2016

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
This is pretty mild compared to some other poo poo here, but c'mon:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Oxyclean posted:

I guess it being about G8 Countries would make it weird if they left one out? I suppose they could have an asterix note?

Russia shouldn't even be included in G8 anyway

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

kalstrams posted:

On an unrelated note, Puerto Rico uses kilometres for distance, whilst using miles per hour for speed limits.

Don't they also drive on the wrong side of the road? Brilliant stuff.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
If anyone knows where to get De Niro's compensation by film (other than googling one by one), I'll make a chart as bad as this thread deserves.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
That one is pretty amazing in how you discover all the atrocities in waves. Though really it's probably some poor gently caress forgetting to change the secondary axis, otherwise it would've been just bad in mostly unremarkable way (except for August).

Then there's this one, it seems that Fox News tactics are spreading in the wild:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

zakharov posted:

India's number 1 sport by a mile is cricket, which is not in the Olympics.

If anything, it's India's number 2 sport that I would look out for.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Not really a graph but I think this belongs here:

It's a speed limit sign for Poland. I guess it's pretty logically laid out, but consider that you'll only get to see it once when driving through the border at a decent speed. In contrast, here's the German one:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

flosofl posted:

Maybe it's because I'm not from Europe, but I see nothing logical about this at all for a sign you need to take in while having only seconds to register it. It took at least a minutes to figure out *most* of it. Some are guesses I'm pretty confident, some are guesses I'm not, and there's still a couple I have no loving clue.

But this one I got immediately.
Well it's a table with rows for different classes of roads, and columns for different types of vehicles. Perfectly logical, you see. The symbols should mostly be familiar if you drove around in Europe (which you'd have to, in order to see the sign). The main problem is that there's too much poo poo for a sign like this - you've got two urban limits depending on the time of day, some merged cells, and an exception for buses that covers only some cases.

The German one, on the other hand is perfectly clear of course. Although it has been simplified to basically only show passenger cars - trucks and buses also have different limits, but the assumption is probably that professional drivers can be expected to research this poo poo on their own.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Powered Descent posted:

Clearly the maker of the graph has an all-terrier motive.
Holy poo poo

Tree Goat posted:

Are there any other examples of treemaps in the wild (where "the wild" is "the news media or clickbait or infographics")? I know the wikipedia import/export graphs use treemaps, and there's the map of the market, and some disk space analysis software, but all of those applications are sort of for wonks anyway. I am trying to think of where the general public would see a fair number of hierarchical quantities where a bar chart wouldn't be a better option.
You see them occasionally in economic and business contexts, e.g. http://atlas.media.mit.edu/en/profile/country/ita/ and BI apps but the general public is yet to master pie charts so I think we still have a while before they start popping up in clickbait links as "You won't believe who's importing Taps, Cocks, Valves and Similar Appliances!"

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I could see some use cases where l/100km is a bit less intuitive than MPG/MPL but comparing different cars is definitely not one of them. In fact, it's a much better way to compare cars because you can exactly see how much more or less fuel a car uses. E.g, 10l/100km car will use 2 fewer liters than 12l/100km, exactly the same as going from 7 to 5l/100km, which is far less obvious with the inverse nature of MPG.

And the scale itself is extremely simple too: <5 is good, ~7 is ok, >10 is bad, at least as far as a regular joe motorist is concerned, though it would vary with fuel type and vehicle class.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I heard that unicorns have good mileage but aren't really suitable for city driving, c/d?
d. they're actually pretty good in stop and go traffic thanks to the start-stop functionality. It's actually on the highway where their lack of overdrive becomes an issue.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I feel like including a graph this stupid in a website for a tutoring service would actually serve to drive people away from said service. I mean if they don't know how graphs work how would anyone expect them to teach kids how to do it?
Seems like a reasonable graph - it shows that their tutoring prevents students from being held up for a year.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I like the extra touch that it's not just a straight line. That's how you know it's real data.

Of course, some fraud is worse more Billions of Dollars than other fraud

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Well, clearly, I have severe dehydration now after looking at this chart.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Foxhound posted:

Why, are you in a coma or dead?

Yep, just woke up. Doctors said it could take years but I was lucky I guess.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

sweeperbravo posted:

Please tell me about yard sard

There's not much to it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe it's Jeff Waters? He's a loving beast.

More importantly though, how did they come up with the Israel's number? I thought they were still not acknowledging having any officially.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Aschlafly posted:

Are you sure? This graph shows him getting a lot of first- and last-place rankings and not much else.
Based on that poll Zodiac would've won but by just over a percentage point which is still way too scary.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
They just mixed up the colors in the legend, otherwise everything is correct

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Count Roland posted:

This brought back a memory from my adolescence, where a friend and I were wondering what the decimal point meant. We figured 1 was a death, and the decimals were degrees of injured.

No this doesn't make sense, but I find it funny that I was talking about this with a friend back in the day, and that I remember it pretty well.

Also, great movie.

It's probably just using a hardcoded printf format for all numeric data like "%.1f" :spergin:

Anyway I always preferred this scene myself even though it makes about as much sense:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

FrozenVent posted:

What hath man wrought?

You have no idea.

mobby_6kl posted:

Nope, Schwetzingen. Should've known better in a small town but there's a pretty good Indian and Mexican places so that was bummer.

And anyway, I did it! It's the Salami type though:

You know what, it's not horrible. You have to accept that it's more just a sandwich than either pizza or burger, but in that capacity it's perfectly serviceable. The topping is just regular cheese and pepperoni, while the bun feels neither like pizza crust or burger bun, as it's a bit tougher probably due to baking for 15 minutes, but it's ok. So overall this wouldn't be my first choice for frozen pizza but I'd still take it over the previous experience, at least it's cheap.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It looks like a 3d shape so maybe what we're looking at here isn't a perfect sphere, and the highlighted part does make up 30% of the volume

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
No I think that's why it's a separate measure - like that band you haven't even heard of is very cool.

Phlegmish posted:

I also think it's bizarre for Vice to do so poorly. Did they just not know what it was?

Well yeah, that too, as it's fairly low on the y-axis as well. But I would guess that they'd do the rankings just among the people who do know the brand.

They should do this with B2B brands and have them estimate coolness based on names/logos.

mobby_6kl has a new favorite as of 09:04 on Apr 4, 2017

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Antti posted:

So the bars are a probability distribution of the total points at the end of the season, and the cumulative percentage is the odds of being in the top 4 when Arsenal has the amount of points indicated for that bar?

I wonder how difficult that would be to decipher if you don't know about the premier league.
The histogram is clear enough by itself, but the percentages are definitely confusing as they look like cumulative probabilities but don't actually correspond to the y labels (70pt looks like should be >10% but is labeled 5%)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

steinrokkan posted:

So, how many tons of TNT is the Tarbosaurus?