Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Korthal
May 26, 2011

Oh no, the only thing worth playing games for could disappear, how will we cope?

quote:

SAG-AFTRA video game voice actors have authorized the union’s national board to call a strike with 96.5% of those voting backing a work stoppage.

SAG-AFTRA plans to ask companies to return to the bargaining table. Previous talks in February and June failed to produce an agreement on a successor deal.

Reps for the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers have refused to comment.

“It is important to note that the referendum result does not mean that members are on strike, rather, it gives the National Board the authority to declare a strike,” the union said. “A 75% ‘yes’ vote was required to give the National Board that authority. With this result in hand, the Negotiating Committee will seek to return to the bargaining table and continue to press for a fair resolution on behalf of performers working in video games.”

The contract covers work performed for Activision, Electronic Arts, Disney, Warner Bros. and other employers of video game voice actors.

The strike authorization has been supported by several notable voice actors including Elias Toufexis (“Deus Ex’s” Adam Jensen), D.C. Douglas (“Resident Evil’s” Wesker) and Jennifer Hale (“Mass Effect’s” Femshep). The movement also has Twitter hashtags: #PerformanceMatters and #iAmOnBoard2015.

One of the key proposals seeks bonuses for voice actors on games that sell over 2 million units with subsequent payments when sales reach 4 million, 6 million and 8 million.

“There is ample precedent for secondary payments across the media landscape,” SAG-AFTRA said last month. “You get secondary payments when you perform in feature films, animation, episodic TV, commercials and the like. But that wasn’t always the case. Performers who came before you had the courage to fight for the residual payments you enjoy today, and, because they stood together, they won them.”

The union contended that such bonuses are not uncommon in the video game industry, noting that Activision’s chief operating officer received a bonus last year of $3,970,862 and Electronic Arts paid their executive chairman a bonus of $1.5 million.

“The top games make money,” SAG-AFTRA said. “This industry has grown, boomed and morphed into something bigger and lucrative than any other segment of the entertainment industry, and it continues to do so.”

SAG-AFTRA is also seeking language covering what it called “vocally stressful” recordings, stunt coordinators on performance capture and transparency during auditions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
.  __ .

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
here's hoping they don't bother dubbing japanese games anymore

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I hope you go on strike from posting on this or any other site, OP.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

So Nolan North, Troy Baker, and Tara Strong want a raise?

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I can't believe I might be forced to listen to new voice actors, maybe even ones that I haven't heard in every video game made in the last several years.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
were all maoists in the imp zone op so we support the worker's strike. solidarity with our gaming voice actor comrades

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

The three people named make most of their money off cartoons so idk why they even care

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
I don't know what I could do without Hale's dull, monotone voice playing over games.

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
The real question is where does Jon St John stand?

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
Oh no, they'll have to go back to using janitors and theater actors for VA work, and we'll be back to the digial dark ages of Jill sandwhich performances

I'm fine with that. Either that or union VA's will just change their name to "Dolan Dorth" when working on non-union game projects like anime actors have been doing for decades.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014
I just hope the "what is a man?!" guy from SotN is rich.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
FUN FACT: All of MGS1's voice acting was done in an apartment in which they had to tape cardboard over the windows to keep the sound out. Originally David Hayter wasn't going to allow his real name in the credits because who would want a bunch of loving video games clogging up their serious hollywood scriptwriter resume

Dec 26, 2012

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

je1 healthcare posted:

FUN FACT: All of MGS1's voice acting was done in an apartment in which they had to tape cardboard over the windows to keep the sound out. Originally David Hayter wasn't going to allow his real name in the credits because who would want a bunch of loving video games clogging up their serious hollywood scriptwriter resume

ive heard one of the reasons they redid the audio for twin snakes is because you can hear cars going by in some of the stuff on the masters

Soral
May 30, 2009

i don't care about what voice actors want.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
I appreciate voice actors because I get to turn my nose at the deaf. Not trying to be a bigot here.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

je1 healthcare posted:

Oh no, they'll have to go back to using janitors and theater actors for VA work, and we'll be back to the digial dark ages of Jill sandwhich performances

I'm fine with that. Either that or union VA's will just change their name to "Dolan Dorth" when working on non-union game projects like anime actors have been doing for decades.

Blizzard's been doing this in WoW for years, 90% of the men are voiced by Metzen and probably some of the women too.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Fascinating stuff, OP.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Routine labor disputes? What the--? I-impossible!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Companies: We want one thing.

Labor union: We want another.

Companies: Then I guess this is a negotiation.

Labor union: Yep.

Games posters: What on Earth will happen next?! I'm on the edge of my seat because this is the first time I have ever read the news and I have no context whatsoever because my understanding of the world is the same as a child's!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

[in picketing voice] Hey hey! Ho ho! This lovely thread has got to go!

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

FactsAreUseless posted:

[in picketing voice] Hey hey! Ho ho! This lovely thread has got to go!

to the goldmine

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

elf help book posted:

to the goldmine
I've said it before and I'll say it again: What the--? I-impossible!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Do you think all the voice actors stay in character during negotiations? If it did, it might go something...like this:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

In Training posted:

Do you think all the voice actors stay in character during negotiations? If it did, it might go something...like this:

ha youre right, if they arent getting paid they wont talk, this forum is on fire today

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

David Hayter: I'm Raiden. I'm cool but rude.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

[unassuming man sits down at the table] This is Pequod! Have arrived at LZ! Will stand by!

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

In Training posted:

[unassuming man sits down at the table] This is Pequod! Have arrived at LZ! Will stand by!

businessman: but if we give you this raise, what can you bring to the table
jon st john: ive got balls of steel.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Charles Martinet: [sighing deeply]

Arbitration lawyer: Come on, say it!

Martinet: I don't... that's not really what we're doing here.

Lawyer: Come onnnnnnn! Just once? Please?

Martinet: I'd like to discuss the uh, the length of lunch bre--

Lawyer: Haha, I bet you like to eat lotsa spaghetti, right?

Martinet: [taking aspirin]

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Kenny James: friend of the family!!!!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's news cycles like this that make me wish the Shmorkster was still making Flashtubs.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

It's news cycles like this that make me wish the Shmorkster was still making Flashtubs.
Voice actor strike... some website closed its comments... Gabe was right. What happened to free speech?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

what if all video games were instead voiced by the cast of homestar runner

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

elf help book posted:

what if all video games were instead voiced by the cast of homestar runner
I think this would be good.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011
Probation