Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Only after the bombs fall can humanity save itself and become the libertarian utopia Jrod envisions.

Which is to say, a hellish wasteland of oppression and civil war.

The Real Foogla posted:

I really don't like how you strawman "Left-Progressives" at the end there.

Let's be honest, Jrod and Libertarians in general are pseudo-closet Conservatives and Authoritarians. They pretend to have humanities best interest at heart while secretly wanting to amass massive wealth and kick the poor.

Sharkie posted:

p.s. also your writing is very bad, and tedious, and unclear. Take time to remove stilted phrases like "The reader should be disabused of the notion that," because they make you sound like you're aping a nineteenth century blowhard.

Pseudointellectualism strikes again. Jrod suffers from the libertarian disease: Write very very long diatribes and throw in a lot of semi-intellectually stimulating sounding words that seem to make sense to you, but in reality is just a pile of garbage dressed to look like wisdom

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

happyhippy posted:

So you are saying that its alright to have a child sex dungeon on your property as long as you are rich.

Well, you see the child entered into a Contract and became Property which makes them an inalienable right for the Property owner and it would constitute violence to remove said children from their contract.

Hey, look, I can be a libertarian too! Let's be honest, the Confederacy was the ultimate Libertarianism.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

jrodefeld posted:

It is often stated by misinformed left-Progressives that libertarians or other free market advocates have a fetish for private property rights; that we elevate property as a right above human rights, that our insistence on private ownership creates conflict between those who have more and those who have less and encourages human greed and alienation between different groups of people.

As to the first claim, this one is always amusing because it is so crystal clear to a libertarian that there is no meaningful distinction between property rights and human rights. But much more important is the fact that we recognize that a correct understanding of private property is essential to a flourishing, healthy society and that human progress is inexorably linked with a legal recognition of private property claims.

Except this is quite literally what Libertarians like Von Mises and others propose. That property rights are the most important thing, even above human rights and that progress through property is superior no matter how many bodies of the underprivileged and innocent must be stacked to get to that goal.

Here, lets get to the root of your issues: Its all bullshit. Everything. All the Libertarian ideology is bunk. Appealing to it is not going to convince anyone because its an ineffective system built on wishful thinking and desires for power.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

theshim posted:

Where do you think regulations on business came from? Why do you think they exist?

This really is the most important question that Jrod needs to answer, because handwaving regulations ignores why they were created in the first place.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

evilweasel posted:

also it is hilarious your entire post is "we have the exclusive connection to reality, really" while demonstrating you have no awareness of (a) what libertarians actually say and believe and (b) what you yourself have posted in the past

I mean, isn't that the whole goal of praxeology, anyways? Libertarians claim they are the only ones who are right because they could not possibly be wrong because they are not subject to experience, evidence, nor empiricism?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Juffo-Wup posted:

Pictured: Freedom!

Well, it ain't free.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

JeffersonClay posted:

Jrod this is why we should care about property rights.

Subtle Laffer Curve spotted!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Caros posted:

I do go overboard at times I'll admit, but it's worth mentioning I banged that whole thing out in about thirty minutes including eating an orange. When its poorly-thought-out-bullshit I don't have to bring sources which cuts down on the actual time.

Plus I got to use Mongol Based Economics which I'm unreasonably proud of. :negative:

The post you just made was most excellent. I read the whole thing and it brought me to tears.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

*the sound of a wet fart*

Libertarianism in general.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
And now we await Jrods return.

I think we just got drive by Libertarianism'ed.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

jrodefeld posted:

You skirt the issue of taking a stand on which rules are best for society by stating that since all property rights are arbitrary, you know "whatever society democratically decides" should rule the day.

:ironicat: From the expert of skirting around issues....

Praxeology, praxeology, PRAXEOLOGY

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Wanamingo posted:

Probably! She did have the hots for that one serial killer.

She also loved cheating on her husband repeatedly right in front of him. She claimed they had an open relationship, but when her husband started seeing someone else she went nuts on him.

http://nymag.com/arts/books/features/60120/index1.html

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Oct 14, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

GunnerJ posted:

The other is that Rand is insistent that the only things government-funded science is good for is inventing new weapons and methods of destruction. So it's kind of interesting to think about how a single former philosophy student (!) can take on the worlds' navies with one ship, given how his closest pal is apparently a super-genius scientist inventor.

Apparently the Gulch is Area 51 and they have alien technology. I always loved how deus ex machina it was, pulling unbelievable technology and energy systems out of thin air and then proclaiming it a product of the genius of the objectivist movement.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Literally The Worst posted:

wasnt her husband schtuppin someone good-looking too

A model, Ayn demanded that he be impotent for the rest of his life.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
"How dare you ask me to demonstrate the validity of my ideals with evidence. Stop asking questions!"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I want in on this friendship contract. Does that make me property or do I become incorporated?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

jrodefeld posted:

Let's talk about something else for a bit. There is a reason why I keep coming back here and posting. Most political internet forums are populated by people who don't know anything. They frankly aren't any fun to participate in. But on the other hand, this is not a way to have a debate. I'd be happy to debate just one of you or a small number of those who are serious, but taking on thirty at once is unwieldy at best.

No. Stop. Go back.

You are not debating. You come in, state some points, and when those points get refuted or evidence against them gets posted, you ignore the refutations and carry on as if nothing has happened.

You don't want to debate, you want to come in, state something, and demand we agree regardless whether the statement is true or not. This is not unexpected either, and why we laugh at libertarians, because this is normal SOP for them.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

GunnerJ posted:

We live in the worst possible version of cyberpunk. Where's my loving skull gun.

You'll have to ask Manderly to get it requisitioned.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

YF19pilot posted:

This guy just doesn't understand people, does he?

Isn't it ironic that one of the Libertarian Free Market tropes is that we cannot predict the results of economic choices because we cannot understand people?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nolanar posted:

And here are the bits right before that!

We're not racist, we just want to destroy "civil rights" and the political power of the "underclass."

"We'll run the entire country on charitable donations! No, this is not a bad plan!"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Panzeh posted:

Watching libertarians go on about historical mutual aid societies like they're a replacement for social services is a real treat.

I hear company towns are coming back in style...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
What happened to Somalia being a libertarian paradise?

Did Mises lie to me?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Something something caveat emptor

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

StandardVC10 posted:

But to make sure those guys are honest, you'll need reputation agencies to certify them.

Oh NO! Regulation!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Except that "perfect vacuum inhabited by perfect spheres" can be a close enough model to real world things that it's actually kind of useful. There are a ton of things you can treat mathematically as a sphere and get the calculations close enough. Cows, for example.

Libertarian theories? Yeah, not so much. This is more like "perfect vacuum inhabited by perfect spheres that are whatever diameter I need them to be at any given moment to make the numbers come out how I want them." Which is, of course, why current libertarianism and current right wing ideals are insane. They're deciding on a solution and working backwards from there. Instead of gathering data then figuring out what it means they're gathering data after the fact then either massaging it to support their conclusion or just outright fabricating whatever they need.

It would be like an experiment coming out wrong and the libertarian saying "well you picked the wrong perfect vacuum and I actually meant cubes."

They don't even bother with actual data, either, and have been pretty clear that regardless of the data, their theories cannot fail only be failed.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

jrodefeld posted:

I don't know how I could be any more loving clear. Libertarians absolutely, positively and without any reservations oppose all forms of coercive associations of which slavery is the most egregious.

The loving end.

No, its not the loving end, you deluded idiot. Considering the evidence against you vocally proclaimed by people considered the cornerstones of Libertarianism, it is you going against the grain by claiming this.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

VitalSigns posted:

Libertarians positively oppose all forms of coercion of which slavery is the most egregious........but it's still preferable to a 39% top marginal income tax.

:qq: The South did nothing WRONG!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Who What Now posted:

In the last few months Skype has undergone a radical transformation from a pretty good VOIP service to a festering pile of pus-spewing cocks.

And I'm forced to use it as part of our Dev team :negative:

Why can't they just use IRC like everyone else?

• Locked thread