Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.
So you actually made this thread because you're too much of a coward to engage hard questions that you dodged for upwards of nine months, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

jrodefeld posted:

gently caress you and get the gently caress off of my thread. I don't have any goddamn patience for your loving poo poo anymore.

You are the coward. You wouldn't dare speak to me that way in person but, surrounded by 25 of your like-minded internet buddies and made anonymous by your IP address you act like a tough guy.

You're in no position to call anyone a coward, you selfish manchild. Every time someone brings a substantive argument to you you do the following:

• Spew a giant wall of text, some of which may be straight up copy-pasted
• Insist you don't want to talk about the subject anymore (while posting about it)
• Refuse to address the issue at all, even when pressed on it

Every single loving time. I'm literally watching you do it right now. Remember how you're talking about vaccines?

jrodefeld posted:

I'm not talking about vaccines other than to say that I stand by my view that I oppose the State forcing people to take them against their will. I never said vaccines are "bad", or that people shouldn't take them. I stated something that is true, namely that there is a real danger to granting pharmaceutical companies carte blanche to produce vaccines that the State then MANDATES the public to take. The incentive structure is such that it encourages an overproduction of vaccines and pressure to give more and more vaccines at younger and younger ages, beyond the reasonable demands of public safety. Where's your skepticism of big money and distrust of corporate greed when it comes to vaccine production, Progressives?

Let's not get sidetracked by that subject right now, okay?

Hey look, you don't want to talk about vaccines, you're bringing it up again, insisting that "the government shouldn't be allowed to make people get vaccinated, even though I think they are good", presumably because you have literally no comprehension of vaccines. Which is why the last time you posted about vaccines, you got loving [url="https://"http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3636681&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=192#post441414775"]turbo[/url] destroyed. Of course, you aren't going to admit to actually believing any of the things you said, you're just going to insist that it was a miscommunication and you don't actually think, or ever thought, that vaccines may be linked to autism.

This ties into a trend of you, noted coward jrodefeld, being completely incapable of taking responsibility for your own actions, or living up to anything you did. Notice how you kept saying in that thread that you didn't wan to talk about it, that you wanted to change the subject, but every single time you had to get the last word? Because god forbid someone call you out on your lovely views. The easiest solution for you, jrodefeld, is to just clamp your hands over your ears, go "LALALALALA" and pretend it didn't happen. I don't know how in your childhood you never learned to take accountability for anything, but I'm going to assume it's something you picked up from your mother that you keep talking about, and I'm going to hope that her business skills are better than her parenting skills.

Remember when Muscle Tracer called you out on not answering that question about healthcare and elasticity? Here, let me post it again for you, just in case at some point you forgot.

Muscle Tracer posted:

You do not understand "inelasticity." Let me give you a two-part example:

I like chewing gum, but I don't really NEED to chew gum. If the price of gum went up 500%, I'd probably chew 20% as much gum. Gum is what we'd call "highly elastic"

I absolutely need an MRI so that the doctor can figure out what's wrong with my brain and why I'm having these seizures. If the doctor says "3000 bucks," I'll get one MRI. If the doctor says "6000 bucks," I'm still going to get one MRI. If the doctor said "20 bucks," I would actually STILL only get one MRI. Because I need it—it's "highly inelastic"—and that's a whole different story. The only way I'm going to not get an MRI is if it's so incredibly expensive that I can't afford it.

That last price point, $20, is key, by the way—inelasticity goes both ways. Not only will I still get one MRI no matter what, but I will also not get any more than one no matter the price. That means that there's extremely little incentive for medical providers to reduce their costs. The only incentive to reduce price is if you're losing customers to competitors, but in most parts of the US there are no competitors, or one or two at most. If that sounds similar to Comcast and Time Warner's price gouging and unwillingness to enter the 21st century, that's because it is. There's very little competition in medicine for many reasons, but a large part of it is similar to ISPs: a huge amount of infrastructure is required, especially if you consider the training and expertise of the hospital's employees ("human resources" after all) as infrastructure. So, just like no plucky ISPs are popping up providing better services than Comcast, it's extremely unlikely that a competitor is going to pop up offering comparable services at competitive costs.

So, the capitalist hospital, like all other capitalist enterprises, has one goal when it comes to pricing: find the equilibrium point between supply and demand. Well, demand is almost infinite--it only starts to taper away when it becomes impossible for patients to afford. Doesn't it make logical sense that an enterprise in the business of maximizing its profits would do so by fixing the highest price that people are willing to pay? And if not, why not? There's little to no competition, the demand is inelastic. What is going to drive down the price of essential care?

Do you know how long it took you to answer (while responding to way less substantive posts)? Three loving months, you coward. Three loving months to crawl through mises.org, hoping that you'll find a link on there, because god knows we've found you pulling pretty much every single source you've ever used from there. I'm not sure you've ever posted an original thought here; your method seems to be basically infodumping Mises on it with an attempted leftist spin, then backpedaling furiously as people call you out left and right for the consequences of your libertarian beliefs/who you look up to (e.g. Hoppe being a racist piece of poo poo, Rothbard literally advocating for child labor, etc.) until you go "hey guys, do-over" and try the same thing again. I'm convinced that you don't actually understand the words you write. You're like a sovereign citizen who knows that the arcane rituals to paralyze judges must be somewhere in the ::j of the family rodefeld:: and joinder and maritime law or something, but every time you're convinced you just must be messing up the magic words that will make us suddenly understand the great path of Libertopia.

You assert things as fact and fundamental truth that aren't (and then refuse to acknowledge that you are incorrect when you are called out on this). You refuse to acknowledge any negative consequences of your decisions (I'm not a racist, even though it's really clear that I'm supporting ideologies that would be terrible for not-white people!) You refuse to engage with anything that might have an answer you can't immediately pull from mises.org. And then you get mad because someone is calling you out.

jrodefeld posted:

You might be able to anticipate my response, but the problem you faced has everything to do with the fact that the police are a part of the State. They have absolutely NO incentive to retrieve your stolen stuff. If, on the other hand you could hire competing security forces to secure your neighborhood and catch and punish thieves then you would be far more likely to see much better protection of your property rights. After all, a private business that depends on your voluntary payments rather than coercive taxation has every incentive to provide you with a good service. If they don't, you can fire them and hire a different security company.

Like this. "Lalalalala, economic coercion doesn't exist, lalalalala!" Like, we've gone over this before. You just sort of magically wishfully think that the free market will solve everything, and refuse to acknowledge any indications that it won't (even when given evidence).

But hey, jrodefeld.

Maybe you can have your grandparents come make some posts for you to save you from looking like even more of a coward, the same way they swooped in to take care of your medical bills. Good job bootstrapping yourself there, chief.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

jrodefeld posted:

Oh I see. Ever getting help from anyone somehow makes me a hypocritical libertarian? For the record, I only ever borrowed $1000 from my grandparents which I promptly paid back, but way to bring up a red herring.

I think it's hilarious, honestly, because in your ideal libertopia societ,y had you not been lucky enough to be born to grandparents with more money than sense, you'd be dead.

jrodefeld posted:

Let's get this straight though. I am not obligated to answer every single post on YOUR schedule. I've wasted far more time than I should on these forums. It's like you are unaware that unlike apparently some of you, I actually have a day job, family obligations and other hobbies. If I don't post here every loving week or every month, it doesn't make me a "coward" who had to concede defeat.

Oh hey, look, jrodefeld. You're refusing to take accountability for your actions. Again. Which one of us posted the big confrontational thread after having to be contained to his own thread because he'd constantly make lovely threads, run away, and then make another lovely thread? It's not me! And frankly, the fact that you're responding to this instead of any of the substantial posts that actually might require you to know anything about anything, ever is exactly why you're a coward. You respond to the easy poo poo. You respond to things like this, like little one-off posts, but you do not engage with substance unless you have to. You ask for the debate, and then when it comes down to it you put off answering hard questions as long as possible.

Your quantity is not what makes you a coward, jrodefeld. Your avoidance of content-filled posts in favor of bullshit like this makes you a coward.

jrodefeld posted:

I don't care what the gently caress you do. Just don't aim those loving guns in my direction. You don't really care about the State violence committed on your behalf. If there is a social problem you are concerned about, go fix it! Work in the market, create something, innovate. Don't use the political process to terrorize your fellow man into complying with your social designs.

This is what sociopaths do. Civilized people interact with others on a voluntary basis.

I dunno, my interactions with the government seem pretty voluntary. Have you considered moving?

(You wouldn't consider it, because you are a coward who cannot bear the idea of being even slightly inconvenienced.)

jrodefeld posted:

For a principled person, there is a threshold that must be met if the State is to seize property. The property must be proven to be invalid for some clearly defined reason. It shouldn't be a vague justification or a democratic whim of the majority.

Are you telling me that taxation has no clearly defined reason? Which member of your family taught you that, or which Mises article?

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.
Hey jrodefeld, was it your mother who raised you to be a cowardly little baby who runs from anything he can't address and/or refuse to acknowledge that it exists? Is she the one we should blame for your refusal to own up to your actions, or should that blame also be passed to your grandparents for lending you a hand by paying for "medical bills" (which might have been completely unnecessary, see: your dentist bills) when the free market proved that you were too incompetent to manage your own finances?

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.
Do you think your grandparents ever feel shame that they're responsible for two generations of selfish, cowardly, lazy Rodefelds?

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

jrodefeld posted:

The idea that I am even bothering to defend multiple year old posts about a long resolved criminal trial is absurd. But what if I was concerned about an ISIS attack on Los Angeles? Would I be unreasonable in being extra cautious about Middle Eastern men who were also Muslims? Would that make me a bigot, even though the clear evidence shows that nearly all ISIS members are Muslims who are of Middle Eastern descent?

Yes, it would, just like your lovely mother.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

VitalSigns posted:

Serious question jrod: once we dismantle the federal government, what would stop the KKK from becoming the law in large parts of the country just as it was before the FBI infiltrated and largely destroyed it?

No rational person would ever do that, and furthermore--

[whines to grandparents until they pay for him to have his dental fillings removed]

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.
jrodefeld have you literally ever done anything that's not you blindly, incompetently piggybacking off another person's work in your life?

(no, you haven't)

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.
You are not going to reply to this because it includes substantative responses along with making fun of you for being an ignorant bitch baby, jrodefeld, but it feels good to take some aggression out on lovely sociopaths.

jrodefeld posted:

We're only "silent" because you haven't read the literature to have a fuller picture of the libertarian position on workers rights and other economic matters.

I have read enough to know that you don't give a single gently caress about worker's rights because you've never had to deal with that, you incompetent manchild.

jrodefeld posted:

It's humorous how you throw in the word "ethnic" when mentioning "time preference" as if the entire concept of a time preference in economics was dreamed up as a way to discriminate against minorities.

You know what's humorous? How you claim poo poo like:

jrodefeld posted:

You, frankly, don't have a clue what you are talking about. I want to caution people that somehow think that I am somehow obsessing about race, that you all do fine obsessing about race without me. The reason I react so strongly to this character assassination attack against me, is that I personally focus a great deal on the systemic racism and discrimination that the State and private citizens inflict upon minority communities in the United States. This is a passion of mine. I love black culture, black music, black comedy and so forth. And I'm not just saying that. Since middle school, I've idolized black role models and I've identified with civil rights causes as long as I was ever politically aware.

But weirdly, in that very same post:

jrodefeld posted:

But what if I was concerned about an ISIS attack on Los Angeles? Would I be unreasonable in being extra cautious about Middle Eastern men who were also Muslims? Would that make me a bigot, even though the clear evidence shows that nearly all ISIS members are Muslims who are of Middle Eastern descent?

And in your history:

jrodefeld posted:

what about Trayvon? We know he had a history of getting into fights, he was suspended multiple times and was a drug user, and not just marijuana. He was a regular user of "Lean" or "Purple Drank" which, as anyone familiar with southern rap music could tell you, is a drug that contains codein, a soda of some sort and candy. In fact the skittles and sody that Trayvon bought that night were intended to make some Lean

You know, also citing a whole bunch of incredibly racist people as huge influences on you... and then backpedaling anytime you get called out on being a racist piece of poo poo.

You're a racist piece of poo poo, jrodefeld. You're just either in denial, or you are too loving stupid to be able to understand that the movement you support lies in bed with white supremacists for a reason. You goddamn watermelon-loving shitlord.

jrodefeld posted:

What do you mean by "economic coercion"? Let's not play loose with words and definitions now. "Coercion" actually has a definition. Suppose I go up to you and say "hey, I've got a job offer for you. It pays $6 an hour. Will you accept it?"

Explain how this is coercion. I don't think you'd ever accept this offer because you, if you are employed, are probably making much more per hour than the $6 I'd offered you so you'd never seriously consider my offer.

Well jrodefeld, people don't suggest that someone offering me, someone who is making more than $6/hr, is coercion, you dishonest little weasel. However, if I did not have a job, and my choices were between the following:

• 6 dollars an hour, which is well below the value I bring to a company
• Starving and dying

Guess what? I'm gonna take the job, even if I know it's a lovely one that I will hate and will be bad for my long-term health, because being dead is significantly worse for my long term health on account of being loving dead, you goddamn idiot.

Would I normally take that job? No. But that's what loving economic coercion is, and I know for a fact that you've been told about this before, and once again you've opted to magically forget about it because you can't retain any information that you didn't read straight off mises.org.

jrodefeld posted:

Unless, there are some side benefits to taking on the job that would compensate you for accepting a lower wage. Or maybe you'd take it on as a second job to get another mark on your resume and connect with more people and learn different skills.

It is posts like this that make me absolutely loving certain, jrodefeld, that you have never actually worked a minimum wage job in your loving life, and you've probably spent most of it mooching off your shitheaded libertarian mom and your too-kind grandparents.

:siren: NOBODY GIVES A gently caress ABOUT JOB SKILLS YOU GOT AT A MINIMUM WAGE JOB:siren:

Guess what? Subway does not care that I am the best loving sandwich artist ever; I'm still going to get paid like the average sandwich artist. If I want to get another job using my sandwich artistry... well, my choices are other food places that are also paying minimum wage! I can't go from sandwich artistry to office filing! That actually looks worse on my resume!

Not that you would know that, because you've never done anything that isn't working for your mother.

jrodefeld posted:

Or perhaps you could be offered a low wage in place of what otherwise would be an unpaid internship? In such a case, the main reason for taking the job is that you'd learn very valuable skills that will in the near future help you to apply for a job which pays many times that much?

I think unpaid internships are also lovely and should be done away with.

jrodefeld posted:

There are jobs that are not hiring at present. Abolishing the minimum wage would allow you to make a lowball offer to a potential employer. You could say "I know you are not hiring at present, but I want a chance to prove my worth for a six week stint. I just ask $5 an hour compensation and after the six weeks is up, if I have proven my value, I'd like to apply as a full time worker making the market wage for this type of work."

What is to prevent an employer from just shuffling through people every six weeks if all they need is vaguely competent bodies, like most minimum wage jobs? There are far more people who fulfill the criteria of "vaguely competent" and "need a job" than there are positions.

jrodefeld posted:

You are not permitted to do this under today's law. How could these voluntary choices ever be considered "coercion"? This would require a perversion of language. Coercion is almost a synonym for "aggression" and voluntary economic contracts cannot, by definition, be aggression.

I literally just explained how this is coercion. Coercion is, by definition, using force to convince someone to do something they wouldn't normally do. Just because "the threat of starvation" is not direct force does not mean it's not force.

You loving moron.

jrodefeld posted:

There are many libertarian authors who have written extensively about how, in a genuine free society, there will be many more economic opportunities available for people and it will be MUCH more feasible to start a business for yourself or with a number of colleagues. Without occupational licensure requirements and other regulations, opening a business and selling your services on the market becomes a much more viable option.

And this would not result in a decrease of safety, just like the Gilded Age, how?

jrodefeld posted:

And even if you don't go into business for yourself, the very fact that so many more OTHER people will be able to, will create millions more jobs who will all be competing for good laborers and so your choices as a wage earner will expand substantially.

jrodefeld_mercury_filling_powered_fanfiction.txt

jrodefeld posted:

The idea you are proposing that millions of lower-class people will be somehow "coerced" into take very low wage employment because they literally have no other options is really a fallacious scenario that is unlikely, or far less likely than in any State-run alternative, to exist in a truly free society.

jrodefeld_mercury_filling_powered_fanfiction.txt

THIS LITERALLY HAPPENED, ALREADY, IN REAL LIFE, YOU INCOMPETENT loving MANCHILD.

jrodefeld posted:

And if you want to talk about a "poverty trap" there is none more fiendish than the Welfare State which has trapped people into a cycle of poverty and dependency. Politicians brag about the number of people on the doll and never about the number of people they help gain their independence and the ability to sustain a middle class living without outside assistance.

jrodefeld you're literally making poo poo up you dishonest fuckface. Did you forget when Caros brutally loving smacked you down about mutual aid societies and how the reason welfare exists is because people didn't have money in your "free society"?

Is your lovely mother proud of having raised a dishonest, lying idiot who claims that all his hard work is the reason he's ahead in life, who mooches off of other people's work to sell loving pirated blu-rays?

Do you think your grandparents ever regret giving you money instead of forcing you to live with the consequences of your actions for once in your lovely selfish life?

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

jrodefeld posted:

I've explained this to you many times over the course of this thread, but I'll try once again.

If your primary interest is the well-being of the most poor, then what you ought to support is a society in which the most prosperity can be generated. A more physically productive economy with higher economic growth and capital investment creates the conditions by which people can be taken care of. To create the wealth in society that would be needed to generate a comfortable living standard for the maximum number of people, as history has taught us, you need to embrace a free market economy, private property rights, and keep the State restrained to the adjudication of disputes and the defense of individual rights.

I've cited studies that rank the countries of the world in accordance with their adherence to economic liberty as defined by libertarians to bolster this position. There are many such studies that have been done by libertarian and free market institutions. Instead of understanding the larger point, all you replied with was "why are the United Arab Emirates and Qatar on the list?", "This just proves libertarians are really racists."

This is so staggeringly disingenuous. I never claimed to be any sort of expert in the policies of Qatar or UAE and my goal was simply to give a sample of the sort of literature that has been done on the subject of economic freedom around the world. If you would look at the broader picture, you would see a very strong correlation between adherence to free market principles and the general prosperity and living standards of the populations of those countries.

It has almost become conventional wisdom in the past twenty years or so that if we really want to uplift the poor of the world, the single best reform to advocate is economic liberalization. It has succeeded where foreign aid, charity and State controls have failed. Hong Kong is oft cited as a success story. The ease by which an entrepreneur can start a business and the legal defense of contract and property are critical to capital accumulation and investment which creates prosperity and enables a middle class to emerge.

If you deny that market liberalization and restraint of the State are necessary prerequisites for creating the prosperity needed to provide the poor with jobs and a decent standard of living, we only have to have a thought experiment. Take all your favorite Progressive policies, workplace safety regulations, minimum wage laws, occupational licensure laws, punitive high tax-rates on the highest income bracket and so forth and apply them to Malawi (one of the poorest nations in the world), see how much better you will make the poor in that country. The logical result will be, at best, no discernible effect on poverty rates, and more likely an even worse experience for the people who have to suffer in that third world nation.

Exporting "Progressive" policies to third world nations has actually been tried, with predictably disastrous results. Eliminating child labor in third world nations had the horrifying result of sending children into child prostitution and other more dangerous and degrading occupations. The reason should be obvious. Children don't work in poor countries because they want to, or that they all have horrible parents. They work because the economy is so poor and unproductive, they will starve if they don't. The most effective way to improve working conditions for the poor and eliminate child labor is to adopt policies that attract capital investment to make the economy more physically productive. This raises real wages and stocks store shelves with an abundance of goods that allow people to work less hours, have more leisure and purchase the needed products that allow for a comfortable standard of living.

The message here is that by moving towards greater economic freedom, making it easier for entrepreneurs to start businesses, eliminating occupational licensing, reducing tax rates and government spending which allows more capital investment, the predictable outcome will be greater economic productivity, which results in lower consumer prices, higher real wages and more economic opportunities for both wage earners and entrepreneurs.

The effect of these reforms would be that less people would need charity and there would be more disposable income to provide for those that still did. It is an absolute fallacy to think that the private economy would need to match, dollar for dollar, the amount spent by the State on social welfare. If observable reality about the way governments and the private market work has taught us anything, it is that private sector enterprises can produce equivalent or superior results at a fraction of the cost of the State.

What I'm trying to get across to you is that it is economic freedom and the market economy which is the engine by which prosperity is created and adopting policies which needlessly hinder free economic transactions and opportunities hurt all in society but especially the poor.

Even places like Sweden which have State-funded social programs so loved by the left are only able to finance them due to decades of relatively laissez-faire, free market policies which produced such a level of prosperity that their economies don't crumble under their weight.

It reminds me of the Progressives who argue that the general prosperity and healthy middle class that we observed in the middle of the twentieth century in the United States is attributable entirely to the GI bill and the high marginal tax rates imposed on the wealthy, somehow ignoring the century of relative laissez-faire economic freedom which permitted such a massive creation of prosperity, capital accumulation and physical productivity. THAT is the source of the vibrant middle class and the living standards we enjoy. The State interventions and programs piled onto this productive base only hinder the rising living standards and economic opportunities that would help out the poor and vulnerable.

I'd hope you'd agree with me that a good job with a good wage is more valuable to a poor person than being dependent on a State hand-out. I also don't believe that people are as helpless without daddy government as you seem to think. Free people, communities, charity, mutual aid societies, entrepreneurs and churches will be able to assist the few remaining poor people in a free society as well as any system could ever help them.

To think that only the State is capable to helping people is to someone assume that the motives of people in politics are somehow much more pure and altruistic than people in the private sector. You'd have to assume that perverse incentives don't exist in politics and social welfare programs are really designed to ultimately help uplift people rather than buying off people with bribes in exchange for votes. I'd really suggest you check out a field of study called "Public Choice Economics" which evaluates the motivations of public officials through an economic lens.

What you are falling victim to is the inevitable inertia of tradition. We've been taught for several generations that the only way to help out with social problems, take care of the elderly, provide medical care to people and help the poor is through government policy and democratic elections. Public schools inculcate these ideas in peoples heads and we lose the ability to imagine innovative alternatives. We assume they don't exist.

a]

Nolanar posted:

Let's play the syllogism game!

1: Theft can be morally justified under certain circumstances
2: Taxation is theft
3:

b] You're a manchild who refuses to ever admit fault or deficit in anything and your grandparents should be loving ashamed of themselves for enabling your cowardice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

jrodefeld posted:

Read your own posts aloud and you'll see why I generally ignore them. But I'll make an exception because you touched on something I'd wanted to talk about anyway.

I worked jobs as a teenager. I had a paper route when I was 13. When I was 16 or so, I worked at McDonald's, hardly a cushy position. I worked at Taco Bell and I worked at Ralph's grocery stores. I worked at or slightly above minimum wage during those years. It didn't matter that much to me. I got a bit of money and saved some of it. I had some disposable income and got to hang out with my friends at work. I got a few pay raises but I never stayed at one job long enough to work my way up in any one establishment.

Given your past history of lying and changing your story and feelings to match the views of the website you're on, I'm pretty sure you're lying about this, because "making up poo poo about your work history to support your insane, sociopathic views" seems entirely in character for you. But I'm going to even assume that this is true (though it's probably not, because you're a dishonest shitweasel)...

jrodefeld posted:

But it is flatly untrue that there isn't a path upward in even retail companies. Every manager I ever talked to during those years started as a regular employee and worked their way up until they were making $30 an hour or whatever they made as manager. Now, nobody is claiming that managing a Taco Bell is the height of accomplishment, but management skills certainly translate to other occupations.

Holy poo poo you really have no idea what you're talking about. $30/hour as a manager at Taco Bell/etc?

:siren: THAT IS NOT A THING THAT ACTUALLY EXISTS :siren:

All I just did was google "manager mcdonalds wages".

Google posted:

Fast Food Manager $8.34 - $12.02
Restaurant Manager $7.88 - $12.91

Hey, look, it's anything that happened in economic history, ever: the greatest enemy of jrodefeld.

jrodefeld posted:

To claim that these starter jobs are worthless because there is no upward mobility and other, higher paying employers don't care one bit about your early work history is flatly false.

Your basis for this is... I'm going to guess [extended fart noise]?

jrodefeld posted:

I got my first real, legitimate good job when I was 21 and still in college. Flipping burgers at McDonald's didn't translate "directly" skills-wise to what I was asked to do, but my references I believe proved the difference. The job was a computer engineer position, where I had to work with AutoCAD, do surveying and plot construction for a company that built buildings and managed construction in the town I lived in for a while. A bit of everything. The job paid $23 an hour, which is not bad for a 21 year old kid. I could pick my own hours, do the work on my own time. If I wanted to work 20 hours one week I could. If I wanted to work 40 the next and any time in between I could. No bosses looking over my shoulder, I got to chill in an air conditioned room listening to music and working on a computer, or take a company car around taking pictures and listening to music while I surveyed construction sites or took pictures.

"I got paid to do very little actual work. I feel like my references were the difference despite the fact that I have no evidence for this, and there is probably vital information I'm leaving out because I am a proven dishonest liar."

Yep. [extended fart noise]

jrodefeld posted:

It was a pretty sweet job at that time in my life and I was sad to have to let it go when I moved after a year or so. But I don't think for a minute that I would have gotten that job without the stellar references I had accumulated during my teenage years.

You think this because you are a self-centered, narcissistic, egotistical manchild who probably huffs his own farts because he thinks they smell like roses.

jrodefeld posted:

There are all kinds of reasons why an employer will choose one applicant over another. All other things being equal, the person who at twenty one already has a work history of over half a dozen jobs and stellar recommendations has a substantial advantage over another person who is applying for his or her first job. Believe me, any idiot could have quickly gotten the skills necessary to do that $23 an hour job. You don't need a college degree or substantial technical training in order to get any decent paying job. I learned a lot of it on the job because they were willing to take a chance that I could do so.

"I literally don't have any empathy for other human beings because I am incapable of understanding the advantages I grew up with. Everyone can ask their grandparents to pay for frivolous medical expenses to get fillings removed, right?"

jrodefeld posted:

But I can guarantee one thing. If the minimum wage was $15 an hour when I was a teenager, I wouldn't have gotten any of those jobs. I wouldn't have had any money saved up by the time I was in my twenties, and I probably wouldn't have gotten that good job at 21.

Kicking out the first rung on the economic ladder doesn't really help people who need a first job before they can get a better job.

[citation needed]

• Locked thread