Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Disinterested posted:

It's presumed that nuclear proliferation will be handled by associations of covenanting communities choosing to boycott or take action against such individuals who proliferate dangerous goods as necessary.

And they'll be checked by all the DROs whose Bosses have gotten their heroism high enough that they can even infiltrate people who possess a nuke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Halloween Jack posted:

Is it actually possible to establish a currency system that protects itself? The Roman emperors had no trouble I can remember when they deemed it necessary to mint debased coins.
The Emperors actually had a whole bunch of huge fuckin' problems with currency that slowly built up over time, despite several reforms of the mint system and attempts to reverse debasement and what have you. Unfortunately no one had really figured out that monetary inflation is a thing yet so there was only so much they could do. Eventually one of the Eastern emperors, I forget which one, just said "gently caress it we'll start new coinage with gold now and never debase it." And that worked well for a while so long as you weren't poor. Though really you could say that about most of human history.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

YF19pilot posted:

You've piqued my interest. Who was this?

Mansa Musa went on Hajj and spent what was, for the Mediterranean at the time, a commodities price point shifting amount of gold.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Also gently caress off with trying to claim loving abolitionists as libertarians, you loving shitstain.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

VitalSigns posted:

I got a response :smug:

The trick is to repeatedly and viciously insult him.

Caros we should organize a roundtable audio discussion about why libertarians in general and jrod in particular are dumb and also bad.

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Nov 20, 2015

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

GunnerJ posted:

I don't know enough about ancient history and anthropology to say for sure that all of this is a bullshit fairy-tale, but I know enough to say that some of it is bullshit for various reasons. How about you go ahead and cite something that backs this up? I'll even go first and point out the claim I have put in bold is nonsense: there were no "barter economies," but there were economies mediated by reckonings of debt and later by cash money.

Congrats on valorizing the moral basis of the representative democratic state!

Yeah, barter when it did occur was between strangers or people hostile to each other. Humans got on without money until about 600 B.C. on credit systems with varying levels of formality. We had taxes and rents before we had money.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
For the record, I submit to the European feudal Catholic system of property rights, which is that all land is rightfully owned by the sovreign via his ordination by to pope or his representative via the apostle Peter via Jesus thus ultimately stemming from God, who mixed his labor with all creation by making it. Said king may devolve ownership to a vassal who may do the same, and those vassals may lease property and collect rents or sell the rights to collect rents to whoever.

As such, all of the United States rightfully belongs to Philipe the VI, King of Spain, as we are beyond the Line of Tordesillas.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Jrod you know no one except racists go from talking about slavery and racism to how affirmative action is totally unfair in like a paragraph, right?

You are a racist jrod.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

GunnerJ posted:

Well, in fairness, he's replying to me and I brought institutional racism up.

Yeah, but he ignores substantive posts all the time, why not the one that is a proven huge loving problem area for him on a topic he has repeatedly insisted he doesn't want to discuss?

Seriously though his response to you is very nearly peak jrode.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
The implication or outrights statement that libertarianism as a whole and certain libertarian thinkers are in some way racist, intolerant, class-biased, uncaring, pedophiles, etc. is generally the way to go, yeah. I feel like he's mostly gotten wise to the really obvious attempts though, and he only half read parts of yours, assumed he knew the rest, and then used it as an opportunity to spew more of his proselytizing drivel while looking like he was addressing something substantive.

For what it's worth I thought yours was A Real Good Post.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Lol jrod "Caros your close personal friend dying due to free market principles can't possibly be what turned you away from the ideology that promotes the free market above all else. Surely you must have been dumped by your libertarian girlfriend or something! Try reading these people I shill for. I will probably try to later disavow them or play them off as not significant to my worldview whenever it is almost inevitably shown they're a horrible piece of poo poo that promotes slavery or pedophilia or racism or, most likely, all three."

Also lol you've called yourself a leftist, then said your so freedom loving that you supported Ron Paul for President, the man with one of the most hard-right conservative voting records in recent American history.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

jrodefeld posted:

That is not to say that workers rights are not important, but you've got to have a pretty clear definition of what we're talking about when referring to a term like "slavery". And I am open to being educated on this topic because I admit to not knowing a great deal about the internal policies of the United Arab Emirates and Qatar.

A standard arguement of slavery loving racists is to argue that "it's not slavery at all really". These people cannot quit and cannot leave, which more than satisfies the standards of slavery you yourself established not just a few loving pages ago.

Also, you are now trying to make broad, authoritative statements about countries and systems you claimed to know nothing about loving YESTERDAY. You do not get to accuse anyone of being dishonest or insubstantive you loving disgrace to humanity.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Caros posted:

"Jrodefeld the next question is yours. Why are you such a fucker? You fucker."

I was serious about the roundtable discussion by the way. I'd love to get some of the posters in this thread into a Skype call or something and talk about this stuff. We could record it and put it on youtube or something to laugh and/or be embarrassed about later.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Literally The Worst posted:

point of order he is in fact a motherfucker

I disagree vociferously. He is clearly a donkeyfucker. Humans are too good for him.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Caros posted:

Definitely would be down for that at some point to be honest.

Sweet. I'll try to set a date on some weekend between Thanksgiving and Christmas, hopefully. Depends on who wants to participate and when they're available, I guess. If anyone else is interested please let me know here or PM me.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

TLM3101 posted:

I'd be up for this! Assuming y'all think it'd be worth it. It's not like JRode's going to accept the challenge, but on the off-chance he actually grows a pair and answers any questions at all, I'd like to be in on something of this nature. Schedule and time-zones permitting, of course.

He absolutely will not consent to an actual conversation where a bunch of goons can yell at him in real time. Though yes jrode you are welcome to use this as an opportunity to actually debate someone. Anyway, even though I'm sure he won't I hope you'll still participate.

I don't care if it turns out to be a huge drunken goony circlejerk so long as people have fun and make internet friends.

I hope you'll all participate. :unsmigghh:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

What requirements must be meant to be in the roundtable? I've only been on this forum for 2 months

I'm not entirely sure but preliminary: a microphone that doesn't pick up however you'll be listening to us and willingness to let goons see your skype name. I don't give a poo poo about your regdate.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Not sure how I feel about organizing a two minutes hate but hey there's a first time for everything. I want to make it clear that I don't expect jrod to attend or for it even to mostly be specifically about him (though it might turn out that way). I'll be putting up a google doc for suggestions on the structure of the thing at about the same time I put up one to try to arrange a time.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

i want in as long as we can talk about sovcits for at least a couple minutes

I don't see why not.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Saeku posted:

I made some graphs comparing UN development data to Heritage Foundation Economic Freedom Index (as an index, obviously not so objective, but unbiased groups tend not to measure "economic freedom" and this is the best we have.)

Broadly: developed countries tend to have higher "Economic Freedom" than developing countries, but within the developed world, there's no correlation between "Economic Freedom" and GDI or standard of living as measured by the Human Development Index; that bottom-right graph is nearly a textbook picture of uncorrelated data. The economic freedom index doesn't make a good argument for developed countries adopting neoliberal/libertarian policies.

And if we're talking about less developed countries, currently some of the least-hospitable territories in the world are functionally stateless areas in Central Africa. The warring non-state groups in Central Africa and in the Levant right now are a good match to Rand's characterization of DROs as "a number of different governments in the same geographical area, competing for the allegiance of individual citizens" above.

What's that country that is literally off the charts for both of them?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Just sent out a PM containing the relevant Google doc links. If you still want to participate, please let me know! Also let me know if you said you wanted to participate and you didn't get a PM.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

E-Tank posted:

I'd participate! Or at least sit in the cheap seats and throw popcorn. But I don't have PMs.

Do you have some preferred way for me to send the links to you?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Okays so, WHOOPS I didn't realize I had the docs set to view only. Surely a great sign of things to come.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I'm honestly not conceiving of it as a debate at this point because that would require some strong premise that the people participating would disagree on. So it is more of a group conversation that I'm recording for fun and random goons to listen to if they want to for some reason. That said anyone who wants to participate is welcome.

I mean my main contribution has been insulting jrode in various ways and I'm MCing the thing so :v:

The only reason I'm not just posting the links in the thread is because giving google doc access to the Goon Public strikes me as not the greatest idea ever. If you just want to spectate, then I'll be making the recording available to everyone.

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Nov 23, 2015

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yeah okay, just mark yourself as a spectator so I know not to care if you can't make it.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
AH gently caress IT

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Hne3Ggtk_zQ6yQOY90knB9e_qrgU4S4AmL68JSMEynY/edit?usp=sharing

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wPHiojIjEWKO9gMN1SHIiKMN9Q3gKcSIYtIGNGBiA1s/edit?usp=sharing

Dickeye that sucks about your schedule. Right now it looks like we're going to be shooting for this Sunday the 29th, probably in the afternoon. I'm in EST, I'll let you guys know a specific time over the next couple of days. It's kind of unfortunate that Caros is so savagely unavailable on weekends.

I don't get the appeal of being there live when A) That makes however we do the call more of a cluster gently caress (I'm still going with skype because that's what I know how to use, if anyone thinks they can organize a better option easier please do so)

B)I'm setting this up so you'll be able hear the whole drat thing at your own convenience.

I'd just turn it into a stream at this point but I haven't the slightest clue how to set that up. Again, if anyone wants to volunteer to teach me/set that up themselves feel free.

:siren: I will almost certainly be setting up a second one for people who want to participate but can't make it this time. :siren:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Oh come on Nolanar I've said like 4 times now that I don't expect him to show, but if he wants to come he can. The link to the word doc should tell you what we'll be talking about.

On that score seriously guys put what you want to talk about in the doc and I'll do what I can.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Caros posted:

Actually I'm going to update mine today because it occurred to me that I'll be available Sunday evenings through most of December.

Please do. How's the 29th looking for you, you didn't put anything for that day.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Hey guys, so,:siren: if you are interested in participating, please make sure your username and skype name are listed in the google doc.:siren: You can also message me on skype, I'm on there as paragon1 (my av is similar to my SA one), but I can't promise I won't forget to call you if you aren't listed.

:siren: Also, Please make sure to give me a yes or no on your availability this Sunday the 29th. :siren: <--------- THIS MEANS YOU CAROS AND DICKEYE

Who What Now, I still don't see anything from you on there either.

Also, you've all been very goonishly lazy on suggesting topics for conversation. :mad:

Who What Now posted:

For the thing Paragon is putting together I'm pretty sure it's just going to be goons cracking jokes about libertarianism in general and Jrod in particular possibly while drinking and discussing other topics? Jrod won't show and I know it's not being planned around him at least.

I expect it will be exactly that. Actually I expect it to be a huge clusterfuck that fizzles out and pisses me off. I'm bringing whiskey either way.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

i'm still making a shrug, i know that i'll be home around 10 EST saturday night, but i don't know sunday's schedule yet.

Fair enough. I've worked retail before, but man at least where I worked scheduled things a couple weeks out ahead of time.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
:doh: I'd honestly completely forgotten that.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yes all times are EST. They are not all AM though what the gently caress. They're midnight to 8 AM, 8 AM to 5PM, and 5PM to midnight.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Wow, okay, I'm kind of surprised that a medium that requires literacy to participate has so many people who can't be bothered to read.

Obdicut posted:

So what's the point of moving the thread to a google doc?

No one is doing that, the google docs are for organizing an event related to but separate from the thread.

Wanamingo posted:

Seriously, this idea is stupid as hell.

gently caress you learn to read. You don't even know what it is you are calling stupid.

team overhead smash posted:

Make sure to record it and upload it somewhere, on the off-chance jrod does actually show I'd be interested to listen to how he tries to defend his position in real time.

Already said I'd be doing that for anyone weird enough (like me) to care. It has been part of the idea since I brought it up.

GunnerJ posted:

What is even going on.

Just...just filter for my posts and read like the last two pages for them and it should be pretty clear. :cripes:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

YF19pilot posted:

Not to be a constant bother, but could check if you set your av to public? As it is I'm getting four "paragon1" users on Skype and not a single one has an av/picture loading up.

Okay, for some reason I can't seem to get my laptop to connect to Skype, so I'll try to get to back to you on this later.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Who What Now posted:

I've become a huge proponent of Google Hangouts. It's simple to use, doesn't even require downloading a new program it's useable in-browser. Send a link to everyone in the call and boom, everyone who clicks is in. You can even save and reuse the same link, so just favorite and forget. The only downside is that it does require G+.

Do the people you're inviting need to have google plus?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Cool, might try using that then, we'll see.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Truly he is history's greatest monster.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
It is, in fact, possible to post and also talk to people in real time over the internet. I'm sorry the idea of goons hearing another human's voice is offensive to you, I guess.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

QuarkJets posted:

None of this is offensive to me, I'm just pointing out that trying to organize a "roundtable discussion" about libertarianism featuring the posters in this thread is kind of dumb. Have you seen the glacial pace at which the libertarian threads move when a libertarian isn't around to post in them? I feel like I've rehashed all of the major points of libertarianism so many times with you guys that I can do a spot-on libertarian impression at this point without even flinching.

Treating your voice hangout thing like a formal discussion is idiotic, just call it what it is really going to be: "hey like-minded goons let's do a voice chat and make fun of libertarians and their dopey ideas". I know that it's goony to want to make lists and formulate rules and poo poo like you've done on Google Docs but it just seems like you're taking this whole thing way too seriously and putting in way more work than you need to

lol okay, I think i've done the bare minimum needed to get people in one place at the same time in a way that allows voice chat that I can record, and made suggestions for what to talk about specifically so we aren't all just awkwardly staring at our dicks for 15 minutes, but whatever dude. I've literally spent like 20 minutes total setting this up, most of that just communicating details to people. I don't know how I could treat this any less seriously and still have it happen and be listenable at all. The most formal I've gotten is "We're going to give everyone who wants to a chance to talk."

So your criticism boils down to me trying to do a thing, which is like the gooniest thing you could ever do.

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Nov 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I expect you all to have your edited hardcopy proposals for Valhalla DRO expansion on my desk by close of business Monday. :colbert:

• Locked thread