Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Pththya-lyi posted:

Why are you making all these plans when it's pretty much certain that jrod won't show up?

paragon1 posted:

Oh come on Nolanar Pththya-lyi I've said like 4 5 times now that I don't expect him to show, but if he wants to come he can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"
So what's the point of moving the thread to a google doc?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Obdicut posted:

Seriously, this idea is stupid as hell.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Make sure to record it and upload it somewhere, on the off-chance jrod does actually show I'd be interested to listen to how he tries to defend his position in real time.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
What is even going on.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Posters in a thread dedicated to arguing with a Libertarian who hasn't changed a single position in 3 years are suddenly concerned with whether X-Thing is pointless.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Wanamingo posted:

There seem to be two separate tracks going on.

Track 1: Caros and Jrod are attempting to set up some sort of written debate via a shared google document or something. The point being Jrod can focus on one guy instead of getting buried in replies. Also since Jrod won't have that excuse anymore and since he's said multiple times he's open to a 1v1, we'll all get to see what happens.

Track2: Paragon is trying to start up some sort of round-table discussion thing via skype and is using a public google doc as a sign up sheet/topic suggestion form.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Wow, okay, I'm kind of surprised that a medium that requires literacy to participate has so many people who can't be bothered to read.

Obdicut posted:

No one is doing that, the google docs are for organizing an event related to but separate from the thread.

Wanamingo posted:

gently caress you learn to read. You don't even know what it is you are calling stupid.

team overhead smash posted:

Make sure to record it and upload it somewhere, on the off-chance jrod does actually show I'd be interested to listen to how he tries to defend his position in real time.

Already said I'd be doing that for anyone weird enough (like me) to care. It has been part of the idea since I brought it up.

GunnerJ posted:

What is even going on.

Just...just filter for my posts and read like the last two pages for them and it should be pretty clear. :cripes:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

YF19pilot posted:

Not to be a constant bother, but could check if you set your av to public? As it is I'm getting four "paragon1" users on Skype and not a single one has an av/picture loading up.

Okay, for some reason I can't seem to get my laptop to connect to Skype, so I'll try to get to back to you on this later.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

paragon1 posted:

Okay, for some reason I can't seem to get my laptop to connect to Skype, so I'll try to get to back to you on this later.

In the last few months Skype has undergone a radical transformation from a pretty good VOIP service to a festering pile of pus-spewing cocks.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Who What Now posted:

In the last few months Skype has undergone a radical transformation from a pretty good VOIP service to a festering pile of pus-spewing cocks.

And I'm forced to use it as part of our Dev team :negative:

Why can't they just use IRC like everyone else?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

CommieGIR posted:

And I'm forced to use it as part of our Dev team :negative:

Why can't they just use IRC like everyone else?

I've become a huge proponent of Google Hangouts. It's simple to use, doesn't even require downloading a new program it's useable in-browser. Send a link to everyone in the call and boom, everyone who clicks is in. You can even save and reuse the same link, so just favorite and forget. The only downside is that it does require G+.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

paragon1 posted:

Wow, okay, I'm kind of surprised that a medium that requires literacy to participate has so many people who can't be bothered to read.

No one is doing that, the google docs are for organizing an event related to but separate from the thread.

gently caress you learn to read. You don't even know what it is you are calling stupid.

Already said I'd be doing that for anyone weird enough (like me) to care. It has been part of the idea since I brought it up.

Just...just filter for my posts and read like the last two pages for them and it should be pretty clear. :cripes:

Dude, chill out.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Who What Now posted:

I've become a huge proponent of Google Hangouts. It's simple to use, doesn't even require downloading a new program it's useable in-browser. Send a link to everyone in the call and boom, everyone who clicks is in. You can even save and reuse the same link, so just favorite and forget. The only downside is that it does require G+.

Do the people you're inviting need to have google plus?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

paragon1 posted:

You need to have some sort of account with Google. Gmail, or google apps, or something like that.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

paragon1 posted:

Everyone who has signed into youtube or gmail has google plus, more or less.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Cool, might try using that then, we'll see.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Jrod do you see what you've loving done? You've presented a use case for Google Plus!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Truly he is history's greatest monster.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

paragon1 posted:

Truly he is history's greatest monster.

Hitler has been outmatched

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

paragon1 posted:

Cool, might try using that then, we'll see.

Hangouts On Air might be useful if you're gonna have "spectators" btw

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

Pththya-lyi posted:

Why are you making all these plans when it's pretty much certain that jrod won't show up?

something awful dot com

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

paragon1 posted:

I know what it is that you are doing, but it's still stupid

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

QuarkJets posted:

I know what it is that you are doing, but it's still stupid

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Counterpoint :justpost:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
It is, in fact, possible to post and also talk to people in real time over the internet. I'm sorry the idea of goons hearing another human's voice is offensive to you, I guess.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

paragon1 posted:

It is, in fact, possible to post and also talk to people in real time over the internet. I'm sorry the idea of goons hearing another human's voice is offensive to you, I guess.

None of this is offensive to me, I'm just pointing out that trying to organize a "roundtable discussion" about libertarianism featuring the posters in this thread is kind of dumb. Have you seen the glacial pace at which the libertarian threads move when a libertarian isn't around to post in them? I feel like I've rehashed all of the major points of libertarianism so many times with you guys that I can do a spot-on libertarian impression at this point without even flinching.

Treating your voice hangout thing like a formal discussion is idiotic, just call it what it is really going to be: "hey like-minded goons let's do a voice chat and make fun of libertarians and their dopey ideas". I know that it's goony to want to make lists and formulate rules and poo poo like you've done on Google Docs but it just seems like you're taking this whole thing way too seriously and putting in way more work than you need to

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

QuarkJets posted:

, just call it what it is really going to be: "hey like-minded goons let's do a voice chat and make fun of libertarians and their dopey ideas".

No one but you thinks it's going to be anything but this, you moron. Getting times when people are available to actually do this and having a few topics of conversation is also, like, the exact bare minimum of effort required and even then takes no real hassle to do. So please stop making GBS threads up the thread with your stupid bitching about an event that you somehow have managed to warp in your own mind into something completely different from what it actually is just so you could act all loving superior for not taking part in it. Good Christ.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Who What Now posted:

No one but you thinks it's going to be anything but this, you moron. :words:

Re-read the part of my post that you quoted. Re-read it very carefully

e: you're getting really mad over people making fun of people making fun of other people, stop and think about whether or not that's worth getting mad over

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Nov 27, 2015

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

QuarkJets posted:

None of this is offensive to me, I'm just pointing out that trying to organize a "roundtable discussion" about libertarianism featuring the posters in this thread is kind of dumb. Have you seen the glacial pace at which the libertarian threads move when a libertarian isn't around to post in them? I feel like I've rehashed all of the major points of libertarianism so many times with you guys that I can do a spot-on libertarian impression at this point without even flinching.

Treating your voice hangout thing like a formal discussion is idiotic, just call it what it is really going to be: "hey like-minded goons let's do a voice chat and make fun of libertarians and their dopey ideas". I know that it's goony to want to make lists and formulate rules and poo poo like you've done on Google Docs but it just seems like you're taking this whole thing way too seriously and putting in way more work than you need to

lol okay, I think i've done the bare minimum needed to get people in one place at the same time in a way that allows voice chat that I can record, and made suggestions for what to talk about specifically so we aren't all just awkwardly staring at our dicks for 15 minutes, but whatever dude. I've literally spent like 20 minutes total setting this up, most of that just communicating details to people. I don't know how I could treat this any less seriously and still have it happen and be listenable at all. The most formal I've gotten is "We're going to give everyone who wants to a chance to talk."

So your criticism boils down to me trying to do a thing, which is like the gooniest thing you could ever do.

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Nov 27, 2015

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

paragon1 posted:

lol okay, I think i've done the bare minimum needed to get people in one place at the same time in a way that allows voice chat that I can record, and made suggestions for what to talk about specifically so we aren't all just awkwardly staring at our dicks for 15 minutes, but whatever dude. I've literally spent like 20 minutes total setting this up, most of that just communicating details to people. I don't know how I could treat this any less seriously and still have it happen and be listenable at all. The most formal I've gotten is "We're going to give everyone who wants to a chance to talk."

So your criticism boils down to me trying to do a thing, which is like the gooniest thing you could ever do.

But... but... I've made copious notes and lists and prepared real hard for this thing, man! I've done hours of work!* A-And now you're saying it's just about us getting drunk and ripping into libertarianism?!? NO! MY EFFORTS! :qq:

... Seriously, QuarkJets, I knew what this was from the moment the suggestion was floated. The only risk of something unforseen actually happening is if JRod grows a pair and shows up - which will never happen - so I think all of us are pretty clear on what this is going to be. It's an excuse to - maybe - drink a little and talk about all the various ways libertarianism doesn't make sense.

*Spoiler: I have not actually done any of this.

TLM3101 fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Nov 27, 2015

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I expect you all to have your edited hardcopy proposals for Valhalla DRO expansion on my desk by close of business Monday. :colbert:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

paragon1 posted:

No, the gooniest thing you could ever do is accuse people of being illiterate for mocking you. Honestly I don't give a poo poo what you do in your free time. I'm not criticizing you, I just think it's funny that you all are taking a skype call so seriously. You're going to want to tell me that you're not taking it seriously, but you're apparently serious enough to display hostility toward half a dozen posters because they were either confused or mocking you (god forbid)

It's funny when people get mad over stupid inconsequential poo poo like this

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Nov 27, 2015

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

:( It's Thanksgiving you guys, can't we all just get along on this holiday of celebration for the first white men to create real property rights on a wild and unclaimed continent?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

This year my family and I sat down to a nice Thanksgiving dinner and gave thanks for jrod

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

We also gave thanks to bitcoin because it seemed like a lot of the funny libertarian and sovcit poo poo was dying down or becoming repetitive after Ron Paul pulled out of the 2012 election, but then bitcoin managed to make libertarians and sovcits do a bunch of hilarious things in the most inept ways possible. Bitcoin in 2015 has been a really awesome source of humor

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
lol, just like the Jrod thread, when the grwat one is absent we decend into bickering and infighting.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
or; why the left can't win in North America

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

:( It's Thanksgiving you guys, can't we all just get along on this holiday of celebration for the first white men to create real property rights on a wild and unclaimed continent?

Haha this reminds me that they were literally squatting in the ruins of abandoned Indian villages after disease had killed or dispersed the local population.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

or; why the left can't win in North America

Splittist!
*splits*

GunnerJ posted:

Haha this reminds me that they were literally squatting in the ruins of abandoned Indian villages after disease had killed or dispersed the local population.

They were just plucking success from virgin nature or whatever the hell Jrod's latest euphemism is.

• Locked thread