Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Patrick Wilson is doing a great job of channeling Keith Carradine, he's got the mannerisms and the cadence of speech down to a T. They also did a great job casting his wife - you can see how they would have a daughter together that grows up to look like Molly Solverson.

I loved the part where Lou was reading to Molly and he got this weird look on his face for a split second when he read the word "ejaculated" out loud. Stuff like that is what makes Fargo so great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I hate to say it, but I wasn't blown away by Nick Offerman. With all the kooky midwest accents being thrown around, and seeing him do character acting in Deadwood, I fully expected him to dive right into one, especially with that beard he's sporting. Instead he sounded exactly like Ron Swanson and it definitely threw me. Also wasn't crazy about his character, seemed like a thinly veiled excuse to throw out a bunch of 60's and 70's references. Seriously, John McCain? Was he really all that relevant of a name in the late 70's?

I'm sure they're planning on having him be ultra-paranoid about the show's events and then ultimately being right about everything (they already hinted at this) but something about Offerman's portrayal plus the highly on-the-nose dialogue really didn't click with me.

Edit: FWIW I felt similarly last year about Glenn Howerton: A comedic actor whose work I really love gets underutilized and cast in a decidedly uncreative role

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Illinois Smith posted:

How is having a suitcase full of money (and the red windshield scraper that was used to mark its location) from a Coen Bros. movie in your show any more or less specific than having a random UFO sighting from a Coen Bros. movie in your show?

Seriously?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Jerusalem posted:

I love Dodd's little double-take when he stops to confirm his nephew asked for an Old Fashioned donut. There was something so charming about it :3:

Yeah that owned.

I feel like this show really kicked up the intensity a notch or two this episode, I was absolutely loving every minute of it. The KC/Gerhardt negotiations (Brad Garrett is killing this role), Dodd backstory + moment of vulnerability in the car with his mom, and especially Lou giving Peggy and Ed a chance to come clean...Ed was sooo close to spilling the beans and Lou knew it, but Peggy continues to be just the worst.

Also feel bad for Dodd's daughter...she's a rebellious free spirit just trying to piss off her dad, but she has no idea how incredibly damning her actions are to her whole family.

Also, is this the first time we've seen Mike kill? And a fleeing woman, no less, surely to show just how cold he really is.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I was thrown off by the Jabberwocky reading too (not in a bad way, but like Terra-da-loo said, puzzled by the significance of its inclusion.) I'd like to posit that, in addition to whatever the initial purpose was, it was meant to mirror Karl Weather's tangled prose in some way. He's on a mission too but he might as well be spouting gibberish.

Also I don't think Dodd shot his own guy to keep him quiet, he was just startled by the loud noise and accidentally shot his own guy.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

*non-nonchalantly walks into thread and suddenly stands faced with this post and stares wide eyed in stunned silence*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Davros1 posted:

Re: Hanzee's haircut. I totally thought she was going to give him the bowl cut ala Anton Chigurh from No Country for Old Men, since he definitely has that vibe, and his encounter with the clerk at the general store felt very similar to the one in No Country

That definitely got that vibe, too. I kept waiting for Hanzee to flip a coin!

The fact that there was tension as to whether or not he would kill the shopkeep, and yet he doesn't since the shopkeep didn't do anything to violate his code (not to mention he gives away the requested info) - I think that was definitely meant to be a nod to the general store scene in No Country.

• Locked thread