Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

wait, Carl Weathers is in this? wow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

bl4d3 posted:

What actor did the voice at the end of the episode, the one behind the projector? its so familiar but I can't place it and imdb doesn't seem to have him.

brad garrett

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

also the midwest has a MASSIVE meth problem and always did

and once you get drugs into a situation every other vice springs up around it, and once you have all the vices you get organized crime

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

BJPaskoff posted:

Huh, "omertà" is one of those words I've heard before but never bothered to look up. In a way, I've always hated it as a plot device.

It's not a plot device when it's a real actual thing and literally the backbone of organized crime

At this point you're complaining about reality

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

i love that bruce campbell, for all his b-movie scene-chewing bullshit, played reagan absolutely straight and didn't fall into caricature, so it makes reagan's absolutely horrid and borderline sociopathic political views even more absurd

Like that's what made Campbell's Reagan portrayal absolutely killer; he didn't play it as a liberal "ha ha look at the dumb dummy terrible awful man", he just played him as sincerely as possible and let the man's awful policies speak for themselves. The black comedy in that scene was killer but also completely, totally 100% factual

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Sepinwall's review for this episode sort of sums up my coolness for this season of Fargo as a whole, where there's about a billion plot niggles or downright stupid and illogical moves characters on this show make to move its plot forward that makes this show's sophomore season, while arguably (and at this point I'd say it's a very concrete arguably) better than season one, a season I'm certainly less passionate about

It also doesn't help that last year was kind of fallow for dramas so Fargo was easily one of the two or three best dramas of the year while now there's so much good television everywhere else that the more frustrating aspects of this show come across as far more damning than before. Fargo season one was at or near-perfect television, and this is a fantastic character piece that fully realizes its time and place with really fantastic character and dialog work when it's not forcing characters to be illogical and stupid to move the show forward with a plot that has...quite a bit of problems

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

And for reference i'm not talking about the alien stuff, which might be the single best payoff this season has had, I'm talking about stuff like Mike Milligan shooting up the house but inexplicably leaving Floyd and the granddaughter alive, or Hank after getting knocked out in the process of defending Peggy from being killed wakes up and rushes off without securing Peggy's safety (which the show even notes how illogical and stupid a move that is with Hank literally saying "I should've checked on her" in the subsequent episode) or Ed somehow beating two officers in a police car to a location they both knew that he was going, or the show constantly losing exactly when things are supposed to happen or when they did happen, or this episode which was just a loving cavalcade of the worst possible decisions at every possible time summed up most precisely with Lou somehow being unable to convince a police officer to do his loving job while standing less than fifty feet away from a murdered body. The show is forcing its plot to have big things happen but needs to railroad specific characters into specific roles so Lou is forced by an uncaring bureaucracy to be just ineffectual enough to be in the right place to notice the Gerhardts coming to kill everyone, but not effectual enough to have a significant impact on the events that happen afterwards. It's all a bunch of really obvious piece moving on a show that didn't need it and it's graduated from "minor annoyance" to "full blown problem"

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Dec 8, 2015

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

To be fair, that newspaper was really stupidly convenient

And a lot of the plot niggles are just that, plot niggles, it's just the totality and frequency of them that form a picture which gives the whole show a railroaded feel

Although anyone who complains about the ufos are just dumb since that was possibly the best payoff ever

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Again, it's not any individual plot issue with season 2. Obviously any work of fiction has problems and leaps of logic if you dissect them, it's the frequency of them and how utterly unnecessary they were to the coherency of the season's plot that makes it into a full-fledged Issue in this season.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

So It Goes posted:

The events of Fargo are based on a true story. The names have been changed but out of respect for the dead, the rest has been told exactly as it occurred.

i dunno if you're doing a bit or you're actually dense enough to believe that anything that happens in fargo is factual

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Escobarbarian posted:

I don't think there's gonna be a better line on TV this year

You let me be...inside you

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

This episode was loving tremendous up until that...just...whatever the gently caress scene with Ted Danson talking about languages and then just...just wow that was...that was loving terrible. A rancid scene to cap a near-perfect season in Fargo S2

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

For a season that arguably had a problem with overlong episodes, it's pretty bewildering that this season's finale felt at least ten minutes too short

I don't want or expect perfect closure for everybody who was on the show but the complete lack of focus the finale gave to a whole bunch of characters who were important enough to get casting announcements and major screentime beforehand exacerbates the issue. It's like the show forgot the importance the show gave to people like Karl or Ronald Reagan or Charlie. even, to an extent, people like Noreen who basically ghosted out of the narrative despite having become important enough to feature prominently in the second-to-last scene.

Of all the characters Mike gets the best ending, where his whole narrative throughout season 2 has a clear moralistic message even though he "wins". Everyone else the show sorta shuffles from side to side, shrugs their shoulders, and goes "dunno".

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

buddhanc posted:

You say you don't want or expect perfect closure but wouldn't the finale lack even more focus and have even less closure if they crammed in all the other remaining characters into the last 50 minutes? I don't really get what you're trying to say here. What would you have done differently?

I wanted a sense of closure. I received very little of it

The Lou stuff closes out well, for instance. i don't see, nor need to see, every single thing that happens in his life after the conclusion of the season- don't need to see him get shot at a stoplight, don't need to see him found a restaurant. His story within the bounds of Fargo season 2 is over, but it's obviously still continuing (up to and past season 1). There's still a sense of ambiguity but for the most part his tale has been told

Mike is another high point. Another non-definitive end that works as dramatic irony, that doesn't spell out exactly everything that happens to him from 1979 onwards

Everyone else is sort of forgotten about, neglected, or gets awful closure. It says a lot for a show that has flying saucers as a literal plot point that having Hanzee become a barely-remembered white mob boss who's unceremoniously killed off in season 1 somehow breaks immersion, but here we are. I didn't need to know what happened to Hanzee after the showdown at the motel, he could've disappeared into the ether and I'd have been fine with that. In contrast, I'd have liked to have seen anything about Karl, Ronald Reagan, Charlie, Noreen, Hank, even (to a much lesser extent) Peggy...they did not need to be long sequences. It could've been a shot of Bruce Campbell as Reagan assuming the presidency, Peggy and/or Charlie in jail...just some sense that these people still exist in this world and this time, and some implication of what happened to them. There was so much focus and so much emphasis on these characters - especially Karl, Charlie, and Noreen - that the fact that all three are basically completely forgotten about once they serve their plot purpose is a downright misstep. Did the only purpose Karl and Charlie serve as characters was so there'd be that police station showdown episode? because they literally do not exist on the show after it

like, this was the season finale. it totally didn't feel like one, and it made the episode's missteps all the worse because this was time they could've spent touching on/showing what the supporting characters were doing and instead they spent it with Hank either talking about a pointless non sequitur or underlying the season's central theme- miscommunication is the root of all the problems in this season - in a really obvious and forced way, that also backhandedly ruined one of the most enjoyable mysteries of the season

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 15, 2015

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

centaurtainment posted:

I agree, maybe freeze frame on each character and tell us what happened to them with a little piece of text! "Senator and Mrs. John Blutarsky." Because how else would you get a sense of closure?

I enjoy that you use this as a strawman when the literal episode had a literal scene with Ted Danson going THIS IS WHAT THE SEASON HAS BEEN ABOUT. like the concept that "miscommunication is the greatest problem of all" ia an impossible idea to grasp unless Sam from cheers spends five minutes monotonously explaining it. an eighties college movie credits montage would've literally been more subtle than that

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I got cooler and cooler on the season as season 2 started using more and more plot crutches and narrative shortcuts- seriously, someone explain to me how two cops in a cop car who knew exactly where a suspect they were apprehending was going to the point that one of them literally says "don't bother" as the suspect escapes on foot got beaten to a location by somebody on foot - to the point where I was holding off judgement on the season as a whole considering how clearly finale-focused this season was in comparison to season one. in contrast to season one which was much more about the journey over the destination, season two was built around the payoff of its finale, so the fact that it's an altogether inelegant and loose one leaves me kind of all shrugs about season 2 as a whole

it was still great tv, on the whole, but nowhere near best of all time. i dont think it even manages to beat season 1

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

centaurtainment posted:

I mean, I feel you, but it is kind of strange to complain about not receiving any closure and then in the same breath bitch about a scene that provides, as you say, a very literal sense of closure on the whole season. Instead of breaking down into a "where are they now?" montage of all the characters set to a cover of a Dr. John song, Hawley put in a scene that wrapped everything up thematically. It is on the nose, but it's incredibly economical from a storytelling perspective, and I thought Danson sold it (along with Lou and Betsy's reactions).

that's the point. a lot of the closure that the season finale provided was not good closure. Like that Hanzee poo poo was straight-up just bad. I shouldn't respond to a revelation of that magnitude with "wait, who? oh, that loving nobody? who the gently caress cares?"

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

seriously recommending someone watch Fargo while skipping Billy Bob Thornton is like recommending some watch Doctor Who while skipping Peter Capaldi

the correct answer is to just watch Fargo season 1 cause it's fantastic television and thornton does an electrifying performance as Malvo

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

centaurtainment posted:

My sarcasm has never received a greater reward.

Season 2 has a more consistent tone and is much more confident in the story it's telling. Also, the final act doesn't rely on a huge writerly coincidence (Lester seeing Malvo in the bar in Vegas and then refusing to back down when Malvo repeatedly signals for him to shut the gently caress up) that IMO feels way too forced. Season 2 unfolds incredibly naturally.

Dude nearly everything that happens in Season 2 either relies on huge writerly coincidences or previously intelligent individuals acting like braindead morons solely because the plot demands

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

regy rusty's actually full of poo poo and deliberately ignoring the great UFO abduction in '79

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

El Hefe posted:

I love how this is a show where a goddamn alien spaceship appears in the middle of a shootout but goons think Hanzee changing his face is too drat unrealistic.

yeah, that's a reinforcement of the point. a show that had an alien spaceship as a literal deus ex machina feel narratively earned wasn't able to sell the hanzee reveal

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Fargo S2 is most definitely inferior to Fargo S1. The plotting is slipshod and it ends really poorly, with an episode that has as many (or even more) misses than hits. S1 is one of the best seasons of television in recent memory. S2 is a mess of bad narrative decisions and assassinating characters' core competencies so the story can happen.

It also has no real staying power. I remember S1 incredibly well, S2 I've already sort of vaguely forgot what even happens within it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Arist posted:

I like them both a lot :)

I mean, sure, it's still good, but it's very definitely a poor followup in comparison to the near-perfection that is season one. Season two needed to close better, have better plotting, and respect its characters more over turning them into idiots at critical times so the plot can happen. It didn't really do any of those things. On top of Billy Bob Thornton giving the performance of his loving career as Lorne Malvo.

• Locked thread