Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

timp posted:

I hate to say it, but I wasn't blown away by Nick Offerman. With all the kooky midwest accents being thrown around, and seeing him do character acting in Deadwood, I fully expected him to dive right into one, especially with that beard he's sporting. Instead he sounded exactly like Ron Swanson and it definitely threw me.

Some people in Minnesota really do sound that way :pseudo:. I thought the Offerman character being a hard-core conspiracy nut was really funny but i'm not sure what the deal with his accent is. Is he supposed to be from out of town? Or is Offerman just bad at doing accents? It sounded almost mildly Canadian to me rather than Upper Midwest :iiam:

I'm interested in seeing what's going to happen with Plemons's character. It seems like he will be the Jerry/Lester character in this story, but he really doesn't seem like as much of a depressed sad-sack as either of those two, and the initial crime is not his own doing.

Overall though, that was a really solid hour of TV. It set up a lot of plot threads and it looks like there will be some great characters again. I'm glad Jake Armitage is posting again this season, too: in S1 everyone thought he was insane because he was pulling out all these allegories to ancient Jewish mystical figures but then a couple episodes later everything he predicted made perfect sense :pwn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

I'm kinda embarrassed how funny I found the flashback of Peggy driving back into the garage and the dangling tennis ball bopping Rye in the butt :xd:

the tennis ball was one of the funniest little touches. massive bloody dude all over the windshield.....boop right on his butt

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Toxxupation posted:

brad garrett

do you even geometry bro

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

oh my god

no but really, i feel like it was a different technique they were going for with much of the split screen stuff. i'm not a film nerdo so i won't claim it was like kubrick/hitchcock level masterwork but i also didn't think it was bad. i haven't gone and re-watched the episode but for at least one of the little artsy cutscenes i had a bit of an Aronofsky montage vibe goin' v:v:v

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i'm not sure we need to open all of these :can::can: but i hope its kind of uncontroversial that female characters in english-language tv shows are still often given much narrower roles than males, despite the progress of women's movements and all that. and the goon hate for skyler was very funny and bad

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Kampfbereit posted:

¤ The meaningless split screen. Usually, split screens are employed when you want to show several simultaneous actions in different locations that are somehow linked, for instance in a heist movie (protagonist X is taking out the guards while Y is scaling the wall and Z is hacking the mainframe). Fargo showed the same actors on both screens, with the two different viewpoints just feet away from each other.

Kampfbereit posted:

Yes, but this would all have been better without the split screen. McCulkin's split screen was more or less OK I guess. Dunst's was plain terrible, as both screens showed her doing the same thing, but a few seconds apart.

Kampfbereit posted:

Maybe we are talking about different things here? I'm not saying that they shouldn't have shown her previous actions contradicting her statements. That was absolutely necessary, and juxtaposing the voice over with footage showing what actually happened is a common technique. I'm saying that there was absolutely no need to do that in a split screen.

Kampfbereit posted:

I'm all for the use of voice-over contradicting the action on screen. But not the split screen.

They filmed 32 seconds of footage, cut it up and split-screened it into a 16 second segment for no reason. The left screen starts with her putting the magazines down on the mantelpiece, and cuts to her in front of her vanity, noticing a stain on her collar. The right screen shows her entering the room carrying the magazines, walking towards the mantelpiece, then cuts to her frantically scrubbing blood from her collar. So they are not two contrasting narratives, they are parts of a single narrative.

If you re-cut it into a single screen by taking the first part of right screen, then entire left screen, then second part of right, it would make complete sense chronologically and dramatically, and still show that she was lying.

There was no need for this at all.

yes, you studied film for a semester, we get it

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Steve2911 posted:

I really want to look at Kirsten Dunst being a dick some more.

i am both disgusted and excited at the prospect of whatever this entails

:goonsay:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

precision posted:

Because the show isn't set in Fargo. :newlol:

the geography of the movie and show is actually pretty interesting if you're from here. i live in minneapolis now but i grew up in west-central and northwestern minnesota, and i feel like the coens and hawley have done a good job at portraying some of the subtle nuances of place. i will try and remember to do a post with some actual effort on this later

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

now thats some split screen baby :fap:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Episode 2 seemed rather expository. There were lots of interesting smaller things, but no huge holyshits in terms of major plot points, so it's hard to comment on things overall.

Mike Milligan is creepy, but the intensity of his creepiness is kind of indeterminate. So far he's vaguely Malvo-esque in terms of tactical weirdo menacing, but with the twist that his lines were fed through the second prize winner of the Tarantino Dialogue Generator Contest. I did really enjoy his bit about the coffee maker, though. Also notable is that the stretch of land from Fargo to Luverne would have approximately, oh, 0.00 black or Jewish people in the year 1980, and I'm curious if this will be expanded upon in any way besides the throwaway comment or two made by the Fargo family sons. And finally, I'm curious where the Kansas City boss went off to between the crab pincer conversation and them getting stopped by ol' Teddy Danson.

The other thing I have to comment on is, well, Meat Damon. so gross lol. and as we fade out from that mess, the voice-over at the end of the episode is from none other than War of the Worlds :iiam:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Ronald Reagan and Mike Milligan are literally L Ron Hubbard and Xenu, and they're going to duke it out for the soul of babby Molly. And I think we already know which one of them is Xenu...

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Last Buffalo posted:

Yeah, but the reason the rural Midwest doesn't have a long history of hitmen and mobsters is because there's gently caress all to extort or blackmail or whatever in a small town thats Minnesota nice. The first season at least was working with the concept that the bad guys were coming into nowheresville, but this season is setting up that there's a crime family in a tiny town that also has a police department that's dimly aware of it, but they also "run things" so well that a distant KC mob wants to buy them out by sending the one black guy in the world with that accent.

This is less a cool premise (like a Coen brothers movie) and more the cheesy application of some stock genre elements mishmashed together. But hey, wasn't it funny when everyone had accents? LOL!!

You are a moron who has never looked at loving map of the Upper Midwest, much less lived here. You are also an rear end in a top hat. Here, I made a guide that's hopefully not too hard for you to wrap your head around:

(all towns with major plot relevance in the franchise (so far))

First, let us show why you are a moron.

The Gerhardt crime family lives outside of Fargo. It is the largest town for hundreds of miles in every direction, is not "tiny", and is a major highway nexus. Hmm, wonder if that's why the writers chose to base a crime family there. Nah, that wouldn't make any sense.

The Waffle Hut murders happened outside of Luverne. Fuckin' Luverne! So yes, your stellar analysis about how the local small-town cops should be taking down a crime operation hundreds of miles to the north (in a different loving state, even) is spot on.

The crime syndicate is from Kansas City. Note the major highways connecting KC with the other towns. Hmm, maybe that is relevant to the plot? Nah, couldn't be. It wouldn't make sense for a mob to expand from one hub city to another, especially a strategically placed city like Fargo, that would offer more access to Canada and points west.

Second, why you are an rear end in a top hat.

I grew up in rural Minnesota and there was definitely crime. Drug manufacture and trafficking, embezzling, arson, murder, hate crimes, you name it. Just because the media focuses on urban crime doesn't mean it doesn't exist elsewhere. Most importantly for me though, a dear relative of mine was unable to escape the availability of drugs even in your mythical "nowheresville", and this was one factor that contributed to his suicide. :frogout:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Archyduke posted:

Hey, polemics aside, thanks for this post. I'd imagined that the world of the show took place in a much smaller bubble and seeing it all labelled neatly on a map really helps me contextualize what's going on. I mean, I knew Kansas City and Fargo were in no way close to one another, but I'd sort of just pictured every other town in the show as floating around in a vague geographic lump.

i was being over the top but im glad you like the map! a lot of the storylines in this series involve driving many hours during the winter on slippery rural roads. the scene where malvo hits the deer is pretty accurate

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Toplowtech posted:

But i get your point especially with the POWERPOINT MAFIA scene.

Are people really that hung up on this? C'mon, it's funny.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

drunkill posted:

Not that it is the best indicator ever, but season 2 has 100% on RT out of 58 reviews, season 1 has 98% with 54 reviews.

considering the contents of episode 2, this is the grossest promo ever. seriously :barf:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Pellisworth posted:

Regarding the geography and crime family stuff in Fargo, I've always seen a lot of Wild West motifs in the Fargo shows mixed in with small-town Minnesota culture. The towns where the movie and shows are set are in western MN which is really rural and sparsely populated compared to the rest of the state. It is literally nothing but endless flat cornfields pockmarcked by tiny towns one day's horse ride apart (that is a historical Thing). I think it's a very fitting location as it's sort of the frontier or Wild West of Minnesota and the Upper Midwest cultural region.

yeah it's kind of a subtle thing that i think not even everybody who lives around here understands, but western MN is really the gateway to the (lawless, morally ambiguous) West in the form of the Plains states. i have a lot of relatives in that area so c'mon, don't try and crucify me based on that last statement, but there is certainly a shift in perspective as you go from region to region across the country.

p.s. hi sammus

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

clown shoes posted:

I wonder if Dunst's hit and run was inspired by an actual event in Texas back in 2001. It's one of those stories that stays with you years later because it was so cruel and unusual. Whoever called her a monster was right on the money.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Gregory_Glen_Biggs

It wouldn't surprise me if this was the inspiration. The Fargo movie lifted the woodchipper idea from an actual crime case:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Helle_Crafts

:pwn:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Episode 3 had some moments where my suspension of belief became, uh, un-suspended. Kinda like some people were saying after episode 2. A few scenes seemed cartoony and overwrought, but not for much of any purpose.

I didn't understand the point of the scene in the typewriter store with Lou and the prog rockers (lol). It establishes that the KC guys were poking around there, but other than that...? It didn't help that it had the awkwardest Mexican standoff ever, where all the gun dudes act like it's a super tense moment but then the resolution is "well OK I'll be going then..." "no we will be going then, heh owned :smug:".

The blacktop scene was also kinda eye-rolly for me. Dodd is a macho jerk, yep. Oh now he's going to kill a dude in a creepy way, great. Maybe some elements of this will be important later but it seemed rather like the writers just pulled an example out the Crime Story Cliche paint-by-numbers book.

e:

I didn't think it was an awful episode, though. The lead-up to the standoff outside the Gerhardt estate was great. And the little shot of babby Molly watching TV :3:

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 27, 2015

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

jfood posted:

It gave Milligan, a black dude in the seventies, a chance to exercise authority over a white cop. That's like seeing a unicorn gently caress a pegasus, a thing that just doesn't happen.

Yeah but he did this last episode too. Ugh, you're still probably right.

quote:

Solverson is dead. He knows it, Mike knows it and the twins know it.

Thinking about this more, I think I was actually reading the scene all wrong (and I think you're wrong too). Milligan and crew aren't going to gun down Lou. They didn't do it when they got stopped by Hank out in the middle of nowhere, so they certainly aren't going to do it in downtown Fargo during business hours. Rather I think the scene is more about Lou's naivete. Unlike Hank, who keeps his cool, Lou immediately draws his gun and pretends that his badge means he's in control. This, despite him being wayyy out of his jurisdiction, and never dealing with anyone like these guys before.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

I love Dodd's little double-take when he stops to confirm his nephew asked for an Old Fashioned donut. There was something so charming about it :3:

imo this is the most we've seen into dodd's character beyond "violent angry guy". but the little touches are what makes fargo, well, fargo. the doctor loving up how to explain a clinical trial to his patient was very minnesota to me. poor guy probably beat himself up for a week over that

Steve2911 posted:

Why does Dodd's daughter sellotape her hair to her nipples during sex? Is it a Minnesotan thing?

no, that's a dakotas thing. in minnesota we use duct tape or fishing lures

p.s. i am thinking of making a big :effort: post about the geography since my silly google maps jpeg went over so well.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Wafflecopper posted:

While I agree he didn't exactly do a great job of it, how do you explain to someone with cancer that they might get a real drug or they might get a fake one without it sounding really lovely?

hmm, an interesting question. its almost as if no one has ever run a randomized scientific experiment using human subjects before, and we have no way of figuring out how such an experiment would be carried out. or if such an experiment had been carried out, that we would have no way of learning about it

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

well if you understand how they work then like....wtf? go read some papers about it. i'm sure this is an issue that has come up and people have written about it

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I really enjoyed the mechanic shop scene when Hanzee went a bit crazy with his Vietnam talk. I can't wait for the confrontation between him and Fat Damon (which I am assuming will happen).

maybe they'll team up and track down peggy in sioux falls lol

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

It's one way of dealing with it, but having one or both of them tell the truth wouldn't necessarily close the door on both of their characters for the remainder of the story. For example, let's say Ed completely turned on Peggy and sang a song of coercion from his wife and maybe even Constance (Peggy's boss). Then you might have Peggy locked up, and maybe Constance and her rag-tag crew of lesbian biker girls break her out of prison and seek revenge. Or perhaps Constance was funneling women to these seminars, which were actually a "legit" operation of the KC mob, and now that Peggy and Constance are locked up they aren't going to meet their quota for Sioux Falls, and the prog rock trio have to come into Luverne guns blazing to get their girl out.

I'm just spitballin' here, but I guess I don't understand the fixation on this particular aspect of the story. We'll find out where things go, just be patient nerds :angel:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

nopants posted:

What was the music that started right before the kid went into the butcher's shop for the throw down? It was so familiar, but I can't place it.

It's the song "On the Run" from...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbvkS5BcIeo

...DARK SIDE OF THE MOON :spooky:. And over the credits, they used (again!) the song "Children of the Sun" by Billy Thorpe. It's the title track from his 1979 space-opera concept album.

I really like all of the music they've used this season. There's been a lot of weird and cool picks. Did they use as much big-name licensed music last season? I don't remember there being as much.

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Nov 11, 2015

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

its going to confirm what many of us have suspected for a long time: ronald reagan was a zombie alien

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

that fucken cow painting

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Nov 12, 2015

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

Is :thejoke: that his dream is to murder all those cows?

i guess my interpretation of its significance is that it shows a group of cows all together and one cow off on its own. it's been shown more than once and i think the point it to show that ed (and maybe peggy? i don't remember her looking at it though) understand the tension in the relationship has a lot to do with the choice between whether to focus on the collective or the individual. the first time ed looks at it i got the impression that he understood himself to be with the group of cows, but peggy wants to be the solitary cow going to her hippie self-actualization seminar in sioux falls. then once the butcher shop burns down, ed looks at it again and he realizes the irony that peggy is now joining the herd by selling her car and he is the solitary cow by wanting to bolt. you could also read it as ed trying to pull peggy at first toward the herd, and then once the poo poo hits the fan trying to pull her toward the solitary side.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

imo she's the gooniest character of the season so far

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

when i saw the end-credits fade in i had to check the time, because i swear only 20 minutes passed since i started watching :stare:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Frostwerks posted:

They're going to do a no country for old men show next and the first season is going to be about sheriff bell's youth and wartime experience.

why are you posting this nonsense

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

quote:

At press tour this summer, I asked Hawley whether the new season would feature hints about what the third would be.

"We’re on the UFO," he joked. "It’s going to be, this space station 'Fargo' in the year 2555.

talk about some foreshadowing(?)

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

It's kind of funny though because Hawley said that during the summer, and possibly just as an aside to that reporter. Unless they, like, screened an episode during that press event, his comment would just sound like a dumb joke. But now with the whole maybe-UFO subplot revealed, it makes me wonder why he said that. I'm not trying to go into TVIV tinfoil detective mode, but it'd be interesting to know if it was just something that slipped out, or if he was intentionally doing a David X. Cohen style "make a tiny reference, and see how nuts all the Internet nerds get about it".

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

does "hosen-sheisse" mean what i think it means? :shrek:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

spoon0042 posted:

I think it's Jerry Lee Lewis. If not there's only like two others that predate the time period of the show, so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npR_dsirETI

this is definitely not the version in the episode lol. great music this episode though. the jethro tull song was a fitting touch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJkmHQ2q--I

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

MaoistBanker posted:

Aside from the 5 direct soundtrack nods to Coen previous work, as well as the scene with Bear and Simone in the woods, straight out of Miller's Crossing did anyone else notice that Betsy specifically mentioned the Knutsens?

WHO THE gently caress ARE THE KNUTSENS?!

Knut is a common male given name in some of the Nordic countries. This name can be turned into a surname such as Knutson or Knutsen. There are a lot of immigrants from those countries in Minnesota. Hmm...

edit:

buddhanc posted:

A+ television every week, goddamn! Maybe Hanzee is holding Ed and forcing him to draw Milligan out from his hole or Ed is a legit under the radar contractor.

I'm curious about this, too. The car that Ed gets into isn't one that I recognize.

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Nov 24, 2015

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

what was the deal with hank's study, anyway? i wasn't sure if it was supposed to tie into the UFO thing, or if it was to show Betsy discovering that dad's gone off his schizophrenia meds

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

My dumb ideas:

Before we hear from Ed in episode 7, the last time we saw him was at the end of episode 6. At that point he is riding off in a cop car with Hank and Lou, presumably(?) going home, and we see that Hanzee has been tracking them since they left the police station.* My guess is that he arrives home to find that Peggy has hidden Dodd somewhere in the house. They decide to leave town, along the way (using Peggy's cash?) to buy a new car so they can escape any APBs for Ed's truck. And aw shucks, Sioux Falls is right on the way to California, so let's stop there for the conference and use this Dodd guy as some kind of leverage. All the while, Hanzee has been trailing them, using his ace skills to gather information, waiting for a chance to pounce.

The one thing I'm a little unclear on is how Ed got Mike Milligan's phone number. It is possible that Hanzee has already struck, perhaps using Peggy as a hostage to get Ed to make that phone call. Or the Blumquists could have made a deal with Dodd (and Hanzee?) that the Gerhardts will leave them alone if they help them draw out the KC crew.

As for Mike, I'm not sold on the idea that he was going to be whacked by the Undertaker. Mike isn't a dumb guy: if he suspected that he had become shoot-on-sight to the KC bosses, I don't think he would stick around, and both Mike's phone call with KC and the meeting in the hotel room seem to support this. While the KC boss says "you're done" in the second phone call, I don't see how this implies violence, especially when considered in the context of their earlier "bad performance review" conversation: all I am seeing is that Mike is an ambitious dude trying to play office politics and work his way up in the organization (side note: I liked how Mike seemingly copied the Undertaker's "two dudes of 'exotic' ethnicity" henchmen). The meeting in the hotel room also seems to support the idea that Mike was just getting demoted, due to the Undertaker crew's surprise at the gun, and Mike's comment afterward. The surprise is pretty noticeable on all three of their faces, and the henchmen take a moment to realize they're in a trap and start fighting back. Mike's comment to Kitchen is similarly supportive, as "we'll tell the boss the Gerhardts got 'em" seems to imply that neither of them are exiled or anything.

* The Magical Indian aspect of Hanzee's character is one of the most eye-rolly parts in the season for me. Ah, he's the Indian guy: he's good at tracking and hunting, and he was an orphan who was adopted into a white family who "treated him like their own", and now he's a loyal minor-tier character in his adopters' "culture" :jerkbag:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

it would be super funny if it was ed, and eventually he just thinks "fine, he won't answer the drat phone i'll call the other guys"

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

blackmarketlimb posted:

Didn't Hanzee explicitly state that the reason he's so good at tracking was because of his tunnel rat status in Vietnam? I'd have to rewatch the episode, but I could swear he said that when he was monologing at Donny.

i guess i didn't mention that yeah, it isn't super heavy-handed. like you say with his 'Nam story and everything, and also he's shown to be competent/clever in other ways. but imo the stereotype is not either rejected or subverted much at all, which in effect is a reinforcement of it, regardless of the author's intent

i'm not trying to start a big derail here but this is how it's come across to my silly rear end

• Locked thread