Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I've heard he likes Burger King, holy poo poo this is on tonight.

Yeah, the premiere snuck up on people like Billy Bob Thornton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Glad to see that Minnesota Nice on the screen again, don'tcha know.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Dangerous Person posted:

You just know he's going to die for her.

From the Lady Macbeth allusion it seems more likely that he's gonna end up being the more vicious of the two.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Per AV Club the book is The Five Little Peppers And How They Grew by Margaret Sidney

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Kampfbereit posted:

¤ The meaningless split screen. Usually, split screens are employed when you want to show several simultaneous actions in different locations that are somehow linked, for instance in a heist movie (protagonist X is taking out the guards while Y is scaling the wall and Z is hacking the mainframe). Fargo showed the same actors on both screens, with the two different viewpoints just feet away from each other.

I think AV Club had a good read on it. The split screen is being used to show characters thought process. McCulkin's weasel was largely occupied with his family, Dunst was thinking about herself and what she was going to do, but Solverson was primarily thinking in the present. Solverson's split screen was used to demonstrate his focus when investigating.

At the very least it had a very seventies feel to it.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
I don't know about previously, but it says Hulu exclusive now.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
It's scary how many people don't understand that hating a character is part of the joy of partaking in media. The phrase "love to hate" has a long history, and penises have nothing to do with it. Narcissists, weasels and people that casually disregard others are easy to hate. Look at the reaction to Lester last season.

It has nothing to do with penises, please keep that poo poo out of the thread.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Steve2911 posted:

I really want to look at Kirsten Dunst being a dick some more.

What an odd way to phrase that.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Okay. Let's never talk about this again.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Parasol Prophet posted:

Oh hey look you guys the new episode's on

Why would we talk about Fargo in the Fargo thread?

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Well the only reason they were caught was her laughing about it at a party. Doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to piece that together.

LostRook fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 25, 2015

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

jfood posted:

The red, the black, Mike spreading Kansas City's influence... makes me think of the Four Horsemen. Which would make Bulo the stand-in for Hunger. The mafia's all consuming desire to make it all their own, that slick corporate greed he brings. Plus, always eating or wanting to eat in every scene so far. Apropos of nothing.

I think it's Famine, not Hunger, and it rides the black horse.

I think food is a big part of the symbolism for this season, though. Bear is eating in every single appearance, except the time he was sharpening the axe. Rye is named for bread and Skip is named for peanut butter. The murders are in a diner, with the milkshake mixing with the blood. The recipes of the world. Ed the butcher.

UFOs are getting a lot of attention, but food seems like the biggest thematic thoroughfare.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Kampfbereit posted:

It's really not a random pet peeve. He's misusing a technique that is commonly used for a very specific reason. Everything you do on the screen means something. If you zoom in on an object, we assume it's important to the story. If an actor is out of focus in the background, we assume he's not important.

Because film-making is a science and is only good when a strict set of rules is applied to it?

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
AV Club had a video about it where they point out the similarities between Milligan's and the Gerhardts' confrontation with Lou. They both "end" with someone patting Lou, both crowd Lou and they both end with the victor leaving.

They're supposed to be juxtaposed, I think, because Lou win's the Gerhardt confrontation but loses the Milligan confrontation which gives the situation something of a hierarchy.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Spatula City posted:

Nothing, every episode has been perfect, and they are correct. :colbert:

B-B-But splitscreens!!!

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
I think you're mixing up your Fargo and King of the Hill knowledge. One Peggy is a narcissistic psychopath, and the other ran over Rye. Molly's mom, who is dying of cancer, is Betsy.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
So any chance this is the Malvo origin story?

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Wafflecopper posted:

tbh reagan's portrayal is how i imagine the average american anyway

Yes, we are all that good looking. No, don't fact check it.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
The gloves cast comes off and the pincer claw comes out.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Lutha Mahtin posted:

My dumb ideas:

Before we hear from Ed in episode 7, the last time we saw him was at the end of episode 6. At that point he is riding off in a cop car with Hank and Lou, presumably(?) going home, and we see that Hanzee has been tracking them since they left the police station.* My guess is that he arrives home to find that Peggy has hidden Dodd somewhere in the house. They decide to leave town, along the way (using Peggy's cash?) to buy a new car so they can escape any APBs for Ed's truck. And aw shucks, Sioux Falls is right on the way to California, so let's stop there for the conference and use this Dodd guy as some kind of leverage. All the while, Hanzee has been trailing them, using his ace skills to gather information, waiting for a chance to pounce.

Ed ran off instead of actually getting in the car.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

* The Magical Indian aspect of Hanzee's character is one of the most eye-rolly parts in the season for me. Ah, he's the Indian guy: he's good at tracking and hunting, and he was an orphan who was adopted into a white family who "treated him like their own", and now he's a loyal minor-tier character in his adopters' "culture" :jerkbag:

He followed footprints in the snow. Not exactly a difficult feat.

He's a badass, but he hasn't done anything more magical than Mike or Malvo.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
There was also the way he magicked his way out of a basement, but that's neither here nor there.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
"It’s an 18th Century word for dark-skinned Moor. I’ve learned the word ‘black’ in every language, just so I know when to be offended. Russian tcherny, Korean hooking, dolphin eeee eeee eee eeee."

Not a retort, just always looking for an excuse for a good Tracy Morgan quote.

Also: "That is a 15th Century term for a black pirate. Racist!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

a cop posted:

I know this is a joke but that bit was cool as hell. Showed that they just zoomed the gently caress over from somewhere where there was a ton of moisture in the atmosphere.

It immediately drew to mind the dry spot from where Hanzee stole the car, but that might just be a weird leap in logic.

• Locked thread