Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Need a .gif of Reagan patting Lou on the shoulder and walking out without answering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

i love that bruce campbell, for all his b-movie scene-chewing bullshit, played reagan absolutely straight and didn't fall into caricature, so it makes reagan's absolutely horrid and borderline sociopathic political views even more absurd

Like that's what made Campbell's Reagan portrayal absolutely killer; he didn't play it as a liberal "ha ha look at the dumb dummy terrible awful man", he just played him as sincerely as possible and let the man's awful policies speak for themselves. The black comedy in that scene was killer but also completely, totally 100% factual

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I also like that he didn't try to do a strict impersonation of his voice, but seemed to concentrate on getting his cadence/delivery spot on. There was just the barest sense of that familiar Reagan voice in there and somehow that made it seem more accurate.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i guess my interpretation of its significance is that it shows a group of cows all together and one cow off on its own.

Similarly,

RC and Moon Pie fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Nov 13, 2015

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Thank you, kind sir. Love it!

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

thehoodie posted:

Guys, we're only halfway through the season. The same amount of episodes are left as we've already seen.

This loving show.

I was feeling this way by episode 3.

I thought season 1 was strong, but this season is amazing. Somehow it also feels more "Coen-y" than S1 as well, but I can't describe it, maybe it's the humour? The urinal scene with Reagan and the Mike/two mute guys combo feel right out of a proper Coen brothers film

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Jehde posted:

Dies: Ed, Dodd, Simone, Constance

Lives: Lou, Molly, Hanzee, Charlie

Aliens: Reagan, Peggy, Betsy, Milligan

Oh we're doing this?

Dies: Dodd, Simone, Charlie, Floyd, Otto, Hanzee, Sheriff Hank, Ed, Mike Milligan, the other Kitchen bro, Betsy, Constance

Lives: Bear, Lou (duh), Molly (also duh), Ben Schmidt (also also duh), Noreen, Karl.

Abducted by aliens: Peggy

Gonna be a bloodbath. I'm not even sure why I'm predicting Bear and Peggy will survive, but somebody other than the obvious ones have to.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

During the first few episodes I thought Bear was the younger version of the Fargo mob boss Lorne kills in season 1. Apparently mistaken!

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Yeah, my first thought when I saw the cow painting was "oh, it's this season's fish poster. :)

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Regarding the cow painting, there was a leaked script of Fargo that had the following description of Ed:

quote:

a cow, basically. Which sounds like a judgment, but is simply his classification in the animal kingdom.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

drainpipe posted:

Regarding the cow painting, there was a leaked script of Fargo that had the following description of Ed:

Is this why they told him to stay fat?

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
I hope the only survivors are Palsy Gerhardt and Noreen, where love blooms in an assassination attempt

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Noreen is the best, death is coming for all. :skeltal:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

imo she's the gooniest character of the season so far

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Anyone who liked the Reagan scene should read The Clothes Have No Emperor. Also anyone who thought the scene was an exaggeration should read it.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

withak posted:

Anyone who liked the Reagan scene should read The Clothes Have No Emperor. Also anyone who thought the scene was an exaggeration should read it.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Dies: Everyone

Lives: No one

Aliens: Everyone

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

withak posted:

tbh reagan's portrayal is how i imagine the average american anyway

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Yeah, I thought it was a drat fine Reagan by Campbell there, and it was nice to see someone cast to act like a former President while looking nothing like them, which you don't really see outside of SNL. He has a fairly underrated acting ability and range in my opinion, he was certainly one of the highlights of Burn Notice for me. I still haven't caught Ash vs. Evil Dead, but from the trailers I've seen he looks kickass in that too.

I hope he got to catch up with Jeffrey Donovan on the set :allears:.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Wafflecopper posted:

tbh reagan's portrayal is how i imagine the average american anyway

Yes, we are all that good looking. No, don't fact check it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I must be the only one who thought Bruce did look like Reagan, just... about 10-15 years too young looking (because of aliens).

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Something about including real actual people in the show seems odd to me. I mean, obviously they couldn't get Reagan (which, if he was still alive would either be amazing or terrible considering he was an actor) but it just made me think of Wet Hot American Summer Reagan too much.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
What was up with the whole "butcher of Luverne" thing any way? I may have missed a scene, but I don't see how Hanzee could have jumped to the conclusion that Ed was a serial killer, especially given how adept he was at sniffing Ed out.

...actually, as I type that, I can see Dodd and Hanzee being too sensitive to the mother to explain that it was a freak accident and Rye fuckin' sucks. Or maybe Hanzee (correctly) deduced that Rye got hit by a car due to being caught in the UFO's time distortion field or whatever, and that was just a step too far for explaining.

The fact that I can write that last sentence is a testament to this season's incredulity, but it's so stylized and assured of itself that it's completely amazing.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

f#a# posted:

What was up with the whole "butcher of Luverne" thing any way? I may have missed a scene, but I don't see how Hanzee could have jumped to the conclusion that Ed was a serial killer, especially given how adept he was at sniffing Ed out.

...actually, as I type that, I can see Dodd and Hanzee being too sensitive to the mother to explain that it was a freak accident and Rye fuckin' sucks. Or maybe Hanzee (correctly) deduced that Rye got hit by a car due to being caught in the UFO's time distortion field or whatever, and that was just a step too far for explaining.

The fact that I can write that last sentence is a testament to this season's incredulity, but it's so stylized and assured of itself that it's completely amazing.

They made it up as an excuse to start poo poo with Kansas City, that's why they sent Charlie to murk Ed because they knew he was just some regular dude and not an infamous hitman.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Dodd made it up on the spot to spur Floyd into "retaliating", and Hanzee, being a good henchman, recognized the plan and played along.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
They were simply using Ed to scapegoat the KC Mafia for Rye dying in order to make Floyd even less likely to negotiate an agreement. False flag.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

What they all said, which is why you get a scene later where Bear is questioning Hazee about the story, saying basically "we are starting a war based on your information, are you sure about this?" before he is interrupted by Dodd.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Talkin about this did make me realize we still haven't seen Bear react to what happened to Charlie because of Dodd. Tonight's ep should be amazing.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

They made it up as an excuse to start poo poo with Kansas City, that's why they sent Charlie to murk Ed because they knew he was just some regular dude and not an infamous hitman.

Yeah. Remember Dodd's whole goal here is that he wants a war because he doesn't want to be weak. He views his mother as weak so he basically wanted to force her to fight them instead of capitulating. Hanzee was just telling the truth at first and said that Ed was a butcher, but Dodd took that and spun it into a made up hitman name. Hanzee understood what he was doing and rolled with it because he works for Dodd specifically.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Zaggitz posted:

Talkin about this did make me realize we still haven't seen Bear react to what happened to Charlie because of Dodd. Tonight's ep should be amazing.

Especially since he actually called and left a message for Bear before going back into the Butcher Shop saying he was sorry and ready to go back to school and live up to all the hopes and dreams that Bear has for him :gonk:

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Alan Sepinwall said on Twitter that tonight's episode will have us smiling for the entire time, or something like that

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Pron on VHS posted:

Alan Sepinwall said on Twitter that tonight's episode will have us smiling for the entire time, or something like that

60 minutes of Ed just looking directly into an interrogation room camera attempting to explain everything he has done over the last few episodes..

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Jerusalem posted:

He'll always be Ricky Hitler to me :allears:

"Dead-eyed Opie Taylor" -- Jesse Pinkman

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dodd's a real fucker

Y'know if this wasn't already apparent

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Mom's gonna make Dodd dead this season, isn't she?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Milligan is the best oh my god

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

drat, Simone.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
mike milligan is such a cool character. i love this show

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Fargo needs to be commercial free. I've never wanted to punch my tv as much as I do right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Peggy selling the car to Sonny opened it up to be investigated, with Sonny very willing to help out.

This show. :suspense:

• Locked thread