Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015
I liked the premiere, although there aren't any characters who are as immediately compelling as Solverson and Malvo from season 1. That might be due to the fact that the first season had a two-part premiere while this one was just a single episode. Still, the setup for the season's plot was incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015
I'm disappointed that the IMDB for this show lists the number of episodes that each actor appears in, as it essentially functions as a mild spoiler for the whole season. Is this common practice on IMDB?

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i'm not sure we need to open all of these :can::can: but i hope its kind of uncontroversial that female characters in english-language tv shows are still often given much narrower roles than males, despite the progress of women's movements and all that.

The first season of Fargo did a good job with Molly's character, in much the same way that the film did with Marge Gunderson. And the judge from the premiere of season 2 was definitely a strong female presence while she was alive.

But yes, overall Western media does not do a good job with female characters. Bechdel test, et cetera.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Kurtofan posted:

Like the show so far, but I really dislike misunderstanding in fiction, like it makes me really uncomfortable that the couple don't realize they killed a killer and I wish they would just call the sheriff and he'd tell them "it's ok you accidently killed a murderer go back to your normal lives."

I'm...pretty sure that's not how that works.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Your logic cannot withstand the might of his mindless anti-consensus dismissal!

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Paladinus posted:

And I bet the word about the special meat will go around fast. And then Fat Damon will have to kill his wife to feed his customers. Or not.

Mister Damon's meat pies,
Savory and sweet pies,
God that's good!

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015
Solid episode. The opening scenes with Dodd getting up to a bit of the ol' ultra violence were nicely paired, showing the generational transfer of brutality in the Gerhardt clan. He didn't have a son of his own so he's going to Shanghai Bear's kid into being his little thug buddy.

KoRMaK posted:

lol That kid from the wire is gonna be the new rocky movie lead

Where's Wallace, Rock, where's Wallace?

EDIT: I know this isn't the place, but those ads for the new Rocky movie have two of the stupidest lines I've ever heard in a trailer ("Rocky's sick" and "You're a false Creed"; the second of which actually sends chills of hatred down my spine as I type it). The HGH is really starting to rot out Stallone's brain.

centaurtainment fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Nov 3, 2015

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

KoRMaK posted:

This season is better than got imo (ive never watched got)

Fargo is much more consistent in dialogue, acting, cinematography, tone, and overall quality than GoT ever is. But GoT is trying to appeal to a very wide audience and doesn't have as distinct a voice behind it, so the comparison is not very apt...

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Jerusalem posted:

The thing that really got to me about that was immediately after murdering the guy and witnessing multiple shootings.... he's just sitting there enraptured by the movie. The poor kid was already desensitized to violence even before the murder :smith:

Movies don't create psychos, movies make psychos more creative!

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Henchman of Santa posted:

Dodd knows that Old Fashioneds are poo poo.

You mean "the poo poo."

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Jehde posted:

I think the point is you're not supposed to tell the subject about the placebo, just say it's an expiremental drug that may or may not help.

I just looked this up and apparently it's a (federal, US) law that doctors must mention the existence of placebos in a study. Makes sense, but it's still lovely.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Lemon posted:

I was kind of thinking that too, but then if they did where would their story go afterwards, other than both being whacked whilst in police custody?

Exactly. While them lying to Lou was predictable in the short run, it preserves a whole host more narrative options down the road besides "well, they're in witness protection now!" or getting set on fire in their protective custody cells.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

KoRMaK posted:

A handful of shows think that good writing is making you care about a character and then killing them. To me, whats more challenging is writing them into situations that seems like they have a slim chance of getting out of and while baiting the viewer into beleiving that anyone can die at anytime and finding an inventive and beleiveable way for the character to get out.

The problem with dangerous situations in shows like Fargo is that they have diminishing returns. This early in the season, it's acceptable for there to be a heavily-armed standoff between characters who we know to have killed people where everyone walks out alive, but every one of these situations becomes decreasingly believable with each one, because by the fourth time a Gerhardt points a gun at Lou we know they're not going to pull the trigger.

I don't think Fargo has this problem, especially because its keeps the kills coming fast enough that the violence feels weighty, but Breaking Bad definitely did by the end of its run (season 4 onward). If a character repeatedly makes decisions that they know will get them killed and then talks/thinks their way out of it, the situations are no longer tense because the outcome is expected and the audience knows that any violence will simply happen to a character who isn't played by an actor whose name shows up in the opening credits.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015
Coen Brothers references:
-opening dream sequence (Raising Arizona)
-Hanzee shooting the guy whose car Ed and Peggy try to get into (No Country For Old Men)
-Milligan calling someone "friendo" (No Country For Old Men)
-Lou and Peggy's ride back to Minnesota (Fargo)

Did I miss any?

Toxxupation posted:

This episode was loving tremendous up until that...just...whatever the gently caress scene with Ted Danson talking about languages and then just...just wow that was...that was loving terrible. A rancid scene to cap a near-perfect season in Fargo S2

You understand that that was a thematic character moment, right? Like, about how people deal with tragedy, one of the main themes of the season? Or did you just want Ted Danson's head to come off and crawl across the floor like a Cronenberg movie?

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015
I agree, maybe freeze frame on each character and tell us what happened to them with a little piece of text! "Senator and Mrs. John Blutarsky." Because how else would you get a sense of closure?

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Toxxupation posted:

I enjoy that you use this as a strawman when the literal episode had a literal scene with Ted Danson going THIS IS WHAT THE SEASON HAS BEEN ABOUT. like the concept that "miscommunication is the greatest problem of all" ia an impossible idea to grasp unless Sam from cheers spends five minutes monotonously explaining it. an eighties college movie credits montage would've literally been more subtle than that

I mean, I feel you, but it is kind of strange to complain about not receiving any closure and then in the same breath bitch about a scene that provides, as you say, a very literal sense of closure on the whole season. Instead of breaking down into a "where are they now?" montage of all the characters set to a cover of a Dr. John song, Hawley put in a scene that wrapped everything up thematically. It is on the nose, but it's incredibly economical from a storytelling perspective, and I thought Danson sold it (along with Lou and Betsy's reactions).

centaurtainment fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 15, 2015

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Illinois Smith posted:

i still wanna know what the gently caress "noreen basically ghosted out of the narrative" is supposed to mean

She's a gynecologist in Beverly Hills, California!

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

My sarcasm has never received a greater reward.

Ave Azaria posted:

I watched all of season 1 as rapt as anything, but by its end I felt it was ultimately sort of an unfocused mishmash of Coens tropes. Season 2 was much better, had its own unique vibe, and aside from maybe Betsy's cancer, didn't have any subplots that didn't drive the main story forward. Season one spent a lot of time with Oliver Platt that could've been swapped out with anything else.

Season 2 has a more consistent tone and is much more confident in the story it's telling. Also, the final act doesn't rely on a huge writerly coincidence (Lester seeing Malvo in the bar in Vegas and then refusing to back down when Malvo repeatedly signals for him to shut the gently caress up) that IMO feels way too forced. Season 2 unfolds incredibly naturally.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Toxxupation posted:

Dude nearly everything that happens in Season 2 either relies on huge writerly coincidences or previously intelligent individuals acting like braindead morons solely because the plot demands

Why don't you give some examples that might further discussion instead of simply negating mine?

EDIT: On second thought please don't, we all hear loud and clear that you didn't like season 2, and this is going to devolve into a weird "Season 1 plot holes vs. Season 2 plot holes" game that I'm not really interested in playing.

centaurtainment fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Dec 16, 2015

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Henchman of Santa posted:

I can't imagine hating an actor so much that I won't watch something solely because they are part of the cast.

I'm this way with Will Forte. Something about his face makes me almost physically uncomfortable, although I get how irrational that sounds.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

phosdex posted:

it's really nitpicky and dumb to complain about but at the end when danson is giving the symbols explanation, he goes in and out of his fake minnesota accent and it just really stood out to me

Martin Freeman's fluctuates in quality in the first season. Seems like a hard accent for a lot of actors to pull off consistently; that the Coen Bros got all of the participants in Fargo: The Movie to do theirs so well is part of why that film works to the degree that it does.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015
I just rewatched season 1 and Lou says that the last time he stood watch was in 1979 when Molly was 4 years old, but in episode one of season 2 Betsy says that Molly is "six, not Pol Pot." Why make her two years older? Is old Lou just misremembering?

Is this a detail that literally doesn't matter?

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

frenton posted:

I'm smart heh

Smarter than that Japanese chick who froze to death looking for the money from the movie...

In deference to Poe's Law, yes I have the internet and it's not a real story.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

jfood posted:

Going against your crime syndicate/family is an absolute reason to get got. Deserves got nothing to do with it.

Snitches get stitches. She got Adriana'd hard and deserved it for sure.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Steve2911 posted:

Awful.

The thing Simone did wrong is being born into a bad family full of bad people.

John Wayne Gacy got beaten as a child, so he definitely didn't deserve to be punished for his crimes.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Wafflecopper posted:

You should prob spoiler that, I'd hate to have run into that post in the middle of watching it.

I would agree except that putting spoiler tags around the name of the show makes it impossible to know what is going to be spoiled if you un-spoiler it. It's Schrödinger's Spoiler: until you un-spoil the text, you don't know if the spoiler spoils a show you haven't seen/don't want spoiled or not, at which point it's too late.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

speshl guy posted:

hmm if only there were more than one way to arrange words in the english language

Did anyone else feel that Mike Milligan's ending was similar in a lot of ways to (spoilers for older HBO show) Mackey's from The Shield?

Thanks a lot, by the way guys I was using this Christmas break to catch up on The Shield so really, it's great to have found out the ending to the very last episode, having just finished season 2, while perusing the Fargo thread. Much appreciated :thumbsup:

I mean, yeah, but that's not as funny.

Better to just say up front "spoilers for The Shield" and then spoiler out the rest of the text in the post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Air is lava! posted:

I just hate it when a fictional thing keeps claiming that it's real. And this show goes out of its way just to tell you explicitly how real it is. I don't know if anyone actually believes that stuff, but to me it just feels like a silly lie. I don't want to be lied to by the opening credits.
If you dislike stuff like that, it can be really annoying to see it twenty times in short succesion.

Sarcasm aside, does it help that the show does this as a nod to the film Fargo?

• Locked thread