Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
So what do you think the odds are Hank is an alien? His wife is dead, so he's been living alone for the last year and there were all those symbols and cheat sheets for humanity in his office. The flying saucer didn't show up until he got shot and he seemed awfully anxious to get Lou away so he could maybe do some alien bodywork on that gut shot.

So replaced by an alien or maybe just possessed by them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

KoRMaK posted:

I think he may just be a believer. The cheat sheet was him trying to decode poo poo he's seen around

Possible, but some of the flash cards were about his family and their relationships. Like he had to keep reminding himself who these people were and how they were all intertwined. At the beginning of the season the implication was he hadn't been around much since his wife died. So perhaps something happened in that time frame.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Anyone else find it odd that when Hank recounted his story about his commanding officer telling Ike to gently caress off, he referred to WW2 as the Great War? No one calls it the Great War.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I took it as an Alien reference. When Ripley blows the alien out the airlock, and then blasts it when it climbs into the engine, there's a long shot of the bright white engine dripping moisture towards the camera. Alien came out in 1979 as well, the same year Fargo Season 2 is set in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-mmbStFrAA&t=80s

Maybe it's just a reference to sci-fi in the mid-to-late 1970's. In the 1950's and 60's spaceships were sleek and featureless, then came Star Wars, Close Encounters, and Alien where the ships are more mechanical with lights and moving parts.

I took the dripping as an effort to give the UFO weight and mass and show how it was affected by weather. Water drips off everything in the cold North via melting or condensation. If it had rocketed down from the stratosphere, the temperature change could have resulted in all that water.

I was talking with someone else and they wondered whether the people the spaceship trained its spotlights on implied anything. I know one was on Lou and Bear and I think another light was tracking Peg and Ed, but I can't remember for certain now. Wasn't one of the lights on a dead Gerhart? If so it probably means nothing.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm not so sure they were really the same, but they were similar enough to make me sit up and take notice. Might have been just the general theme of "black symbols on the wall" but there's no way it was coincidence.

I read an article that every set in Fargo is put together with a very deliberate purpose. Nothing is just there. If it looks like it might have meaning, it does.

poo poo. I've got to go back and watch all the episodes again. I'm missing too many details. I freeze framed the scene where Mike is leaving the Sioux Falls massacre as the camera pans up in hopes of seeing something in the open door of Hank's hotel room. But nope, nothing. I still think he's an alien though.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Apparently they're going to do a flashback of Hank's time in the Great war.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The late 70's were a terrible time for short-haired brunettes because of Dorothy Hamill. You want to look stylish? Enjoy your loving bangs.

So yeah, she's goofy looking because all 30-something mom's were goofy looking back then.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

speshl guy posted:

Are you kidding me look at this disgusting goof

All you did was prove how bad she looks with a terrible haircut.

And the makeup done for her to look terminally ill.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The deaf hitman in season 1 survived, right? I remember Malvo giving him the keys to his handcuffs.

So if season 3 takes place a couple of years later and each season is tied together, then we'll get more deaf hitmen next year.

Still bummed Ted Danson didn't turn out to be an alien.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, this episode was somewhat underwhelming, but as its been said, last week was the climax - this week just wrapped up loose strings. Still, it seemed odd to leave Charlie out of the Gerhart montage. Then again, maybe it was for dead Gerharts only.

The nods to Raising Arizona were a bit heavy handed. I'm surprised Peggie didn't grab some Huggies on her way to the cooler to use a diaper on Ed's wound.

Maybe put a panty hose on her head in the cooler to help filter the smoke.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Problematic Pigeon posted:

Those secondary characters did get closure - just not all in the last episode. Karl, for instance, gets his in the scene a few episodes back when he tries to run the John McCain speech by Betsy. That scene pretty much wraps things up for his character, so I didn't need him to show up again in the last episode to get any closure on his character. Likewise, Reagan's scene in the bathroom with Lou put a button on his character's purpose to the story. I mean, Offerman and Campbell are fantastic and I love watching them play those characters, but why go back to them when their purposes to the overall narrative are complete and hey got perfect sendoffs?

Everything felt wrapped up enough to bring closure while not overstaying its welcome, which is all I can ask out of an ending. Fargo struck that balance beautifully.

I get some people's annoyance that we didn't get more from characters like Karl. I kind of figured Karl would have a bigger role after having a huge part in the jail siege. In the end, that was the entirety of his character arc (except for the bit about breakfast). But it still feels odd not seeing him again.

Perhaps the "maybe it was Utah" dream sequence would have been better served at the end rather than the beginning. That would have made it easier to shoehorn in some of the secondary character fates.

Then again, Noah Hawley's vision for the show might have everyone's fates spelled out. You just have to watch all 5 seasons.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
So what would they have convicted Peggy of? Vehicular homicide? Tampering with evidence? Obstructing justice? I know Ed got the police captain's promise to talk about getting charges dropped in writing, but he only said he'd talk about it - and that isn't happening now.

Floyd did get a promise of no charges for Gerharts for acts committed prior to their helping the local authorities. Wouldn't Charlie have fallen under that umbrella?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

speshl guy posted:

Definitely sad to think of Charlie rotting away in a prison unseen and forgotten for 10 or more years knowing that everyone he ever knew and loved died horrible, violent deaths.

I thought the milligan thing was appropriate but weird. They made him legitimate, but wasn't he wanted for questioning by several different police forces in connection with multiple gangland style massacres? He had investigative journalists tailing him to hotels and now he has his own office with his name on the door? That's a stretch to me, even if it is one of the most poetic endings for a character I've ever seen outside of Walter White.

Who would the cops be asking him about? The Gerharts all died fighting cops. The Undertaker and his squad were probably buried in the same landfill as the Buffalo guy. I'd be surprised if Floyd even reported Otto's murder to the police.

I guess there was the shootout at the doctor's office parking lot. You'd think it'd be easier to pin a murder on the one Black guy in the state. The 70's were an odd time.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Steve2911 posted:

Wait people were serious saying they wanted more closure for all the characters? Other than 'they carried on living' or 'they died fairly soon after', what in the hell needs to be said?

Well, one of them had cancer, so "they died fairly soon after" would have been pretty good closure.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, BBT was probably the best part of season 1. The "you're making a mistake" episode in particular.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The Kitchen brothers' role in Fargo is a little odd. I guess it was more a visual gag and after a few episodes the effect's diminishing returns probably couldn't justify the extra cost to film them. It wasn't like the remaining Kitchen did anything differently due to the loss of his brother. Except for that 'head in the box' scene, he didn't even seem that affected.

I don't know if I read it here or elsewhere, but one of the theories was that the surviving brother became Tripoli. I think that probably made more sense than Hanzee and might have represented a better character arc.

Of all of the characters, the last Kitchen brother was probably the only one who made it through the whole series unchanged and without anything new being revealed about them.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Hanzee was a half breed. Maybe the second half of his life was White.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

All the talk of season 1 got me thinking the DVD of it would be perfect for my mom for christmas. She loves thrillers and murder mystery and crime shows, this'll be right up her alley.

I gave my mom season one for her birthday on sale from Amazon for $10, but the regular price is only $15.

I fully intend on borrowing it from her. I think BBT does the commentary.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i would guess that a show so rich with allusions and symbolism probably used the typewriter model that kicked off Milligan's rise to hero status as a symbol of irony. your idea of the show writers commissioning a huge expensive survey of American office workers from the late 70s about what objects they had in their office relative to their job position, in order to design the set for a one minute epilogue scene in their show, is interesting too though

I like to think it's symbolic Mike got an unexpected surprise both early in the season and at the end. One was literally up the rear end. The second more figurative.

speshl guy posted:

hmm if only there were more than one way to arrange words in the english language

Did anyone else feel that Mike Milligan's ending was similar in a lot of ways to (spoilers for older HBO show) Mackey's from The Shield?

Thanks a lot, by the way guys I was using this Christmas break to catch up on The Shield so really, it's great to have found out the ending to the very last episode, having just finished season 2, while perusing the Fargo thread. Much appreciated :thumbsup:

I know. I got pissy when someone told me who shot J.R.

Is there a set number of years since a show aired when we're allowed to discuss details without spoilers? Because The Shield ended 7 years ago.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Guy A. Person posted:

The bigger issue that nobody has pointed out is: The Shield wasn't on HBO, it was on FX! C'mon guys, it was the first of their original shows and basically directly lead to stuff like Fargo!

It also makes the original spoiler hilariously more inaccurate, since you could be sitting there wracking your brain over what non-existent HBO show could be getting spoiled.

I get The Shield mixed up with that other critically acclaimed show that I never watched - The Wire. Wire spoiler! Omar dies.

Maybe that's where the HBO confusion comes in.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

PantsBandit posted:

Hey all, I've been totally addicted to this show the last couple weeks. Really good poo poo.

I was a little confused by something though. Lou enters the type-writer store and finds Mike and his cronies tearing the place up. They then pull guns on him and leave and Lou just...lets them go? Isn't that the point where you immediately put out an APB on those guys? Surely that's enough to at least hold them temporarily.

If this is just a "shut off your brain" moment, that's fine. I just dunno if I was totally missing something there. Seemed bizzare.

You heard him, they're friendly in these parts.

Not to spoil anything, but later on cops barge in on a possible assault and let the bad guys go even though there is a very visible M16 leaning against the wall. The police make some really weird decisions in this show.

I was disappointed in season 2 right up until that scene in the typewriter shop. That set the tone for the season for me.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Chadzok posted:

One of them is the 'parking lot king of Minnesota'.. wasn't William H. Macy's money-making scheme to buy a parking lot or something in the Fargo movie? Might be a tie-back.

Can't wait, series has been unbelievably brilliant so far.

His scheme was to fail at building a parking lot. I think all the money was going to pay his debts. That's why he freaked when his father-in-law took over the project and just gave him a finder's fee. Not sure if that's a throwback or not.

Except we can expect more dead lot attendants.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'm starting to see promos for the Fargo showrunner's new Legion series on FX.

Nice to know everything he touches is weird.

Fargo is now my go-to place to see actors you never thought would film a death scene, die horrible deaths.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I think season 2 was better TV, but it couldn't match the novelty of the 1st. Season 1's first episode was practically a movie in itself whereas it took much longer for season 2 to gather momentum. And while Billy Bob Thornton was the best thing in Fargo, I thought the overall cast was better in the 2nd installment.

I didn't like the 2nd season until the typewriter salesroom standoff. From then on it was incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, the plan was always for him to take a year off to focus on Legion and Cat's Cradle. Now the former's been filmed, he's on Fargo, and I assume the latter will go intro production during the tail end of Fargo's production. (So maybe April?)

I thought it was more because they needed to film in the winter and FX ordered season 3 too late.

Legion makes sense too.

• Locked thread