Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Dogfish posted:

This makes me remember a toy I LOVED as a kid but can only half-remember. It was I think supposed to teach math skills. It was red and had a screen and a keyboard, and there were little running guys who would dash across the screen to help you learn addition. I still remember the little song it played when it tallied them up! Oh man I loved that thing.

That was the one I had, I've been waiting for someone else to mention it. Here's a bunch of pictures of the thing: here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

RickVoid posted:

That was the one I had, I've been waiting for someone else to mention it. Here's a bunch of pictures of the thing: here.

Holy hell
ahhhh
Was the 90's really this banal that we all had the same experience with toys

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Another grandma's-house board game:

Kind of a Jenga-like game. That board is spring loaded - pressing on the pieces. You try to take out pieces without creating a gap that causes the spring-board to snap closed making the remaining pieces fly out of the box. It was like, 1, 2 or 3 points per piece depending on how big it was.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Captain Lavender posted:

Kind of a Jenga-like game. That board is spring loaded - pressing on the pieces. You try to take out pieces without creating a gap that causes the spring-board to snap closed making the remaining pieces fly out of the box. It was like, 1, 2 or 3 points per piece depending on how big it was.

Reminds me of a plastic (I believe Japanese) game I had as a kid that had like 20-30 different-shaped holes you'd try to cram small plastic bits in (only one of each shape) but there was a timer and if the timer ran out when you were pushing a piece in, it would slam down a plate underneath the face plate to block the holes with a really loud KA-CHUNK and cut off a child's finger. What fun!

Dek
Dec 19, 2010

It Just Works™
This was my childhood. I still resent my mother for giving them up.

Also, loving saint seiya

eskimaux
Jun 28, 2007
I've been looking for the name of a toyset I had when I was younger, but no luck on the internet.

It was a pre-painted miniatures game from Argos (a little bit like warhammer 40k, but with the miniatures plastic and prepainted). I think it was from the mid-late 90s, maybe even early 00's. I've looked at the old Argos catalogues online, but I can't find many from the late 90s. It was a box set, but you could buy more individual miniatures I think, it had dice and rulers and came with scenery (again this is all hazy). The theme was like 40k, so futuristic space marine types and stuff like that.

If anyone remembers this I'd be grateful - it's been annoying me for months.

As for content:

Road Wars!

My friend had the statue of liberty base playset, and I was so jealous. I used to be friendly at him in school just so I could get invited to play with his awesome mad max type car warriors. I was really into Mad Max at the time (a VHS "borrowed" from my uncle) and it was a childhood fantasy! Shame my parents never bought me one...

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
My rich friend had this beast so I would always go to his home for playing

and walkie talkies to be like spies

(he was also always the first to have consoles and PC stuff)

As of me I had a lot of micro machines like cars pregnant with even smaller micro machines

with miniature pop-up sceneries for the mini cars

Also a few nice lego sets like this pirate island

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]
If you didn't have one of these you had no childhood.

Like, you were literally birthed a full grown adult with no chance to be a child, doomed to forever race rats and never tasting the sweet ambrosia of innocence.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I've seen a picture of someone who turned that rug into the interior carpet for his car.

Just as cool as you think it is.

olaf2022
Feb 19, 2003
Fun Shoe

Jerry Cotton posted:

Reminds me of a plastic (I believe Japanese) game I had as a kid that had like 20-30 different-shaped holes you'd try to cram small plastic bits in (only one of each shape) but there was a timer and if the timer ran out when you were pushing a piece in, it would slam down a plate underneath the face plate to block the holes with a really loud KA-CHUNK and cut off a child's finger. What fun!

Sounds a lot like Perfection, though I don't think it had a finger-slicing plate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHhp9NEF79E

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I was at Toys r us the other week looking for Christmas ideas and I got a massive nostalgia wave when I saw this on one of the shelves:

I loved how smooth those little plastic worms were.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Frankston posted:

I was at Toys r us the other week looking for Christmas ideas and I got a massive nostalgia wave when I saw this on one of the shelves:

Something about this is really grossing me out. I'm picturing the worms streeeetching out real long when you tug on 'em before they finally pop out.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Congratulations! You have trypophobia!

Go ahead and google it. I'll wait.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Cicadas! posted:

Congratulations! You have trypophobia!

Go ahead and google it. I'll wait.

Gah! Jesus. Some people don't think this stuff is gross? It's a rarity to be bothered by a lotus pod full of bugs?

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Frankston posted:

Oh! Wow, I remember this :3:

My absolute favourite childhood toy is one I still have, a raggedy Fraggle Rock-looking thing called, er.. Silly Willy. He's 27 years old now and pretty tatty. This is what it looked like before going through the wash a million times, being attacked by scissor-obsessed 5-year-old me and being dragged with me everywhere I went;

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Can anyone help me identify a toy I kind of remember from when I was a kid?

This thing was a transforming robot that consisted of a separate tank and jet that could be combined to make a human shaped thing. It was pretty unique in that the transformation action was spring-loaded - you would press the jet down onto the tank and the human robot would kind of snap together and spring up. I think the tank was burgundy and the jet was a tan/khaki color or maybe vice versa.

I'm 99% sure it was a Transformer, but maybe it was a knock-off brand? This would have been like 1987-1992 I think.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That doesn't sound like a Transformers-brand transformer. I don't think they started with the spring-loaded stuff until relatively recently. But you're in luck: internet people are obsessive enough that if you know the color and roughly what it looked like, you can check for yourself!

e: actually did find a Transformer that kind of fits the bill maybe? http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Overlord_%28Masterforce%29#Toys

My Lovely Horse has a new favorite as of 19:18 on Jan 7, 2016

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
That sounds like Flywheels

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Haha holy poo poo, never knew about those. Transformers had so many weird subgroups with a unique gimmick but only 2-4 figures that shared it. Probably from how Hasbro licensed these things?

e: vvv I spent some time on the identifier site a few years ago and yeah remembering them as much cooler is a thing with these.

My Lovely Horse has a new favorite as of 20:14 on Jan 7, 2016

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Holy poo poo that is definitely it. Thanks!

I remember it looking a lot cooler.

CombatBonta-kun
Sep 22, 2003
Ehhhh?
I've been wracking my brain trying to remember the name of a toy I had around the late 80's to early 90's and I'm hoping someone here might have an idea.

The toy was a futuristic tank, but not a transformer. The tank could convert into a fort of sorts. The turret could raise up, the front end opened forward to make a kind of wall with turrets on top. I think that the treads were in four sections and that the back sections could detach and were actually little scout vehicles.

Google hasn't been any help. I know for sure that this was not a Transformer, M.A.S.K., Mega Force or anything obvious. The only clue I have is that there were little infantry soldiers that went along with it and my parents happened to find one when doing some deep cleaning recently. I can post a pic of the soldier later.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Edit: Never mind. I started thinking about he soldier instead of the tank and found it. It was the Xpanders series. http://www.virtualtoychest.com/x/xpanders/xpanders.html

It isn't exactly as I remember it, but it is pretty close. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuxI8tLShY0

CombatBonta-kun has a new favorite as of 22:00 on Jan 7, 2016

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

^^^XPanders were kinda rad, I had the three-wheel thing with the front wheel that split in half. But I think that was at a point in my life when toys were becoming less fun and having them felt kinda empty :smith:

My Lovely Horse posted:

Haha holy poo poo, never knew about those. Transformers had so many weird subgroups with a unique gimmick but only 2-4 figures that shared it. Probably from how Hasbro licensed these things?

e: vvv I spent some time on the identifier site a few years ago and yeah remembering them as much cooler is a thing with these.

Like those weird-rear end ones that shot sparks out of their mouths or whatever?

fake edit: holy gently caress xpanders were a thing in '89, how did I become so jaded so young?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Had to post this somewhere. No explanation for it but the name razor blade scares me when it looks like a dude in a gyno chair

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.
I've compiled a huge dump of toys from a 1985-86 catalogue.

Full dump of all the toys and some other cool stuff here: http://imgur.com/gallery/j0twT

Here are a few pages from the dump.

Original source: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lavalampmuseum/albums/with/72157619081815831

ChlamydiaJones
Sep 27, 2002

My Estonian riding instructor told me; "Mine munni ahvi türa imeja", and I live by that every day!
Ramrod XTreme
Tonka Clutch-Poppers are the correct answer to the question "what is the best goddamn toy ever invented by humans?"

I keep these two at work to remind me that I could be out playing but I need to provide food and shelter for my family!

http://imgur.com/MulXEsT

http://imgur.com/I9COi8m

Clutch-Poppers are steel Tonka cars with inertial flywheel engines, you load the fly-wheel by revving the car forward and then there's a button on top (the clutch) which engages the fly-wheel with the gears when pressed. Rev them up a little and they drive across the living room. Rev them up a lot and let them have some traction and you can knock out someones teeth with them or plant one in the drywall. There are a LOT of Clutch-Poppers and Tonka screwed around with the design resulting in several sizes of inertial fly-wheel engines for vehicles. These particular cars are heavy (around a pound anyway) and can go very, very fast once you grease up the flywheel roughen the tires (rubber) and run them on smooth cement. These particular flywheel bearings are metal on metal which will wear down but the bigger engines have brass or bronze bearings and a steel fly-wheel that's bigger and heavier than a silver dollar (an old silver dollar). I have a truck (not on hand) with one of those engines, it's geared way, way low but I can rev it up to a whole lot of RPMs and send it about half the length of my block. They also went small and built cars that would fit in a kids belt buckle. They have TINY fly-wheels but they can still race across a table once you've removed the 1980's grease and replaced it with modern grease. Also 4x4 versions with a high and low gearing, amazing cars but almost all of them are wrecked these days. The big engines were also used in 1 1/2 foot long dragsters that do wheelies and make a WHOLE lot of noise. I haven't quite worked out how to shut them up but I will one of these days. These suckers have a plastic body though so when they crash they can fragment everywhere!

Anyway when I was a kid I had one of the ones about 1/3 the size of the ones above, it ran well and I used it until the fly-wheel was just rattling around in the frame and it wouldn't go anymore. A few years ago it occurred to me that there might be some on eBay and low and behold there are now about 40 or them resting comfortably on a shelf in my garage. I'm pretty sure I have one of every model made at this point. I've repaired the ones that can be repaired and learned just about every way they can fail too. Other than the fact that these things will break your fingers and smash up the house, they are amazing and I have no idea why nobody is making flywheel powered toys these days. I should really mount a tiny generator on the flywheel and power some LED headlights and poo poo, that would be cool!

If you want them it's a crapshoot on eBay, "Tonka" and "clutch" should pull up several pages worth (clutch puncher, clutch popper and some other names all use the same tech) but then you have to figure out which ones you can fix. "In the box" means that someone has found yet another stock in a warehouse and let them go for cheap. These cars will likely not work (because the fly-wheel grease is gone) but you can tear them down, grease them and they're as good as new. You'll see a lot for $40 which is too drat much by far - that's a collector selling them for profit. You want to find the dude that had them in a box for the last three decades, kept good care of them as a kid and wants to unload them. If you ask "does it work" they will likely respond "it makes a race car noise when I rev it up" which means, say it with me this time, that the fly-wheel is dry and vibrating all over the place. The seller will also say that nothing happens when you "press the button" for the same reason, the vibrating wheel won't engage right so it won't go. This guy will sell you the car for $8 + shipping and you will probably have an awesome car to play with after you lube it! When a seller says "turbo sound" it's either a model that had that written on the box or the seller revved it up and heard the engine whine like hell and stopped messing with it. There is a downside though, about 1/6th of them on eBay are beyond repair, kids played with them to death and simply wore the gears to nubs or wasted the bearing surfaces, these will be a loss. If you buy one of the 4x4 versions you will likely be sad, flywheel death rate for these beauties is more like 75%+. Same engine, WAY more play time 30 years ago! Lastly you'll need a small torx screwdriver to get it open, remember that in the 80's torx was "security" since there simply weren't a lot of them available so you need one. One screw depending on the model, sometimes three. The big truck has like 12 or something.

If you ever buy one and have a problem with it give me a PM and I'm happy to share my experiences!

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Parsley posted:

There was also a more well-known dog version, but I liked cats, so...

I just. I like cats.

I adored Puppy and Pony in my Pocket! I was mad on horses when I was a little kid, and I had so many of the ponies

I can still even remember the names of a lot of these - the one in the middle there is Belle for example :3:

I got the Puppy In My Pocket hotel for Christmas 21 years ago yesterday.

Also, the original My Little Ponies before they got weird

I remember a school trip where these things were on sale for a pound in the gift shop and pretty much everyone getting one.

One boy promptly going nuts when he lost his and yelling "I'VE LOST MY SAUSAGE" and the teachers in hysterics for reasons we couldn't figure out.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I can't find proof this existed, but as a kid, I had a big t-rex that was black with neon markings. It was a kickass Jurassic Park dino, but I can't find it to save my life.

Any one else have one?

E: Holy poo poo, I found it. Will post pics later

DicktheCat has a new favorite as of 05:03 on Dec 27, 2016

Framptonlive
Nov 22, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
You know the scene in the lost world where jeff goldblum is up in the cage/crane thing with his daughter? I had a toy that was based on that and it was loving awesome but I can't find pictures.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

beato posted:

I've compiled a huge dump of toys from a 1985-86 catalogue.

Full dump of all the toys and some other cool stuff here: http://imgur.com/gallery/j0twT

Here are a few pages from the dump.

Original source: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lavalampmuseum/albums/with/72157619081815831

I wanted everything there. I am still impressed how good the Star Wars vehicles looked during that era, even if the figures were kind of dodgy.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
I'm sure it's been posted before, but god drat, just googling it brings back memories.

MIGHTY MAX!

It was a pocket playset basically; I mean, it blew my mind how much they put inside these things:

This one I can clearly recall owning. it was rad as hell.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.
Anyone remember those combination padlocks which were also a toy car? I had a Porsche 911 one.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Uh, excuse me, the Y-Wing was never Luke's fighter.

Sure hope somebody lost their job over that blunder

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I had a poo poo load of Construx. They were pretty cool for building big things, but the plastic bars broke very easily.

I still have that Trancula spider glove thing, even if I'm missing the figure, scared the hell out of my cat with it once.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Oh man, so much cool stuff.

quote:

They re-released the Falcon and X-Wing in the mid-nineties, I had those. The "Ewok Village" was re-released a few years after this catalogue came out for the Kevin Costner Robin Hood film as Sherwood Forest. It had a plastic leaf canopy that went over the top.

quote:

Def had that Battlecat in the upper right.

quote:

I am 100% sure I had that Soundwave when we lived in Germany. Yet another thing that got stolen during the move back to the US. Arggh.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Around 1977 I got a Godzilla toy for my birthday.

Loved that thing, carried it around with me like a teddy bear.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Captain Lavender posted:

I love the concept of this game, and if I still ran tabletop RPGs I'd whip it out for a rogue to play if they needed to disarm a trap. Who needs a roll when you have the whole table leaning over your shoulder in anticipation? You could even drape a cloth over it so the have to play purely by feel or something like that

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Gorilla Salad posted:

Uh, excuse me, the Y-Wing was never Luke's fighter.

Sure hope somebody lost their job over that blunder

Somebody never read the Jedi Prince books :rolleyes:

I was born right as the 80s died so most of these toys I know only as, like, older brothers of friends' stuff we were never allowed to touch.

How long did everyone with LEGO tend to keep it together as the 'real' instruction-built set? For me it was literally three days tops before I'd disassemble and re-purpose. The crowning glory of my LEGO years was combining the motors and drivetrains of the Bionicle fighting crabs into one unit that served as the base for a huge multilevel sandcrawler clad in Millennium Falcon and UFO quarter-circle dome parts on hinges so the interior was accessible, just like a 'real' playset. God I wish I had some pictures of that thing.

Also, for the identify-a-toy pile, I had a couple of sets of vehicle toys that could combine into one large vehicle or split into a convoy. There was a construction one, a firefighting one that could squirt water from its hoses via a little pump, and a space shuttle mobile launcher.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Laocius posted:

Are you talking about R.A.D. Robot? Because I also had that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vygf4NTIHQ
Not quite as cool as the commercials made it look, but I still loved it.

The darts that thing shot out of its chest hurt like hell on account of their hard plastic cores and very, very high speed. I used to chase my little brother with it all the time.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

beato posted:

Anyone remember those combination padlocks which were also a toy car? I had a Porsche 911 one.

Found them, well my friend did. Road Champs Lock-ers (1986) Here's a couple of pictures of the Fiero model from some eBay lots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Growing up, we had a Battlecat Bouncer

I would give my eye teeth to be able to send one of these to my brother. I don't think many survived.

• Locked thread