Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
I think my neighbors across the street are on vacation or something because nobody's been there for days and I was wondering if I could rent their home out to people on AirBNB or HomeAway. I dont have a key to their house but I assume I can find one if I break in or maybe just remove the front door from its hinges. Is there any way I could face any legal action with this? I think it's probably okay as long as I try to clean up their home before they come back, but I don't know when that will be and truthfully I'll probably just be too lazy to do it anyway so whatever.

Thanks in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
Why don't you just ask Leonard J. Crabs

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
It is likely that the owners will notice the increase in the utility bill which will cause awkward questions. Therefore, make sure you have the city shut off all utilities before you rent out the home.

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001
Put a note through their door, demanding they contact you within 24 hours if they don't want you to do that. When they don't reply, legally you're OK to go ahead.

EDIT: Remember to take a time-stamped photo of the note being posted as proof.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

What you want is to post a listing on Squatr, not air nab

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
1) Amass huge collections of guns and ammo
2) Await collapse of United States and civilization as a whole
3) Declare your house a sovereign state and declare war on your neighbor
4) Annex neighbor's house

After that point you should be in the clear re: renting out their house

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

genesplicer posted:

It is likely that the owners will notice the increase in the utility bill which will cause awkward questions. Therefore, make sure you have the city shut off all utilities before you rent out the home.
But I'm afraid that may sully my reputation on the house renting websites, which might prevent me from renting out more houses in the future. My online reputation is very important to me.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
5) Finish the Ripper LP

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
your neighbors house falls under squatter law now so actually you can just list it for sale. be sure to have a trusted friend or family member squat there and hope they dont read this thread and sell it first

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

5) Finish the Ripper LP
I'm intentionally never finishing the Ripper LP just so people will stop saying to finish playing Cry of Fear.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Blazing Zero posted:

your neighbors house falls under squatter law now so actually you can just list it for sale. be sure to have a trusted friend or family member squat there and hope they dont read this thread and sell it first
I thought at first you said "Squirtle law" and I was really excited.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
Its a thorny legal issue, all right. I'll need to refer to the case of Finders v. Keepers

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Just say you thought you heard screaming so you broke down the door to try and help and you noticed your neighbors were missing so you invited some friends over to help look between all the cushions and stuff

If anything they will thank you upon return

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

Lowtax posted:

My online reputation is very important to me.

So why are you owner of this site then?

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

nullEntityRNG posted:

So why are you owner of this site then?
I love my dead gay forums

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Just send your neighbors a "thank you" card in the mail after they come back, that will make it legally okay.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

a hole-y ghost posted:

Just send your neighbors a "thank you" card in the mail after they come back, that will make it legally okay.
But then they'd know I did something and they might hold it against me, even if the card I give them is really fancy and uses a good font.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Lowtax posted:

But then they'd know I did something and they might hold it against me, even if the card I give them is really fancy and uses a good font.

use a really bad font then and they'll be more outraged at your choice in typeface than they will about the house

it's foolproof

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

cover the house in a fumigation tent. no one will know whats going on. then you can grow your meth plants in there, no problem, undetected

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

use a really bad font then and they'll be more outraged at your choice in typeface than they will about the house

it's foolproof
Now that's a good suggestion, I'll probably choose Papyrus or Comic Sans.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
Don't clean anything. You get the bnb money, nice family gets a cheap room, owners get plenty of evidence for the insurance company. Who is losing here?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

not sure

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Lowtax posted:

But I'm afraid that may sully my reputation on the house renting websites, which might prevent me from renting out more houses in the future. My online reputation is very important to me.

Not if you include in your listing "An experience not unlike the Australian Outback or the African Savannah. Experience the ultimate in exotic travel without leaving your own country."

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
If you go through with your plan, don't ejaculate in their house.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Blistex posted:

If you go through with your plan, don't ejaculate in their house.
That wouldn't be a problem since there are only a few locations I usually ejaculate and none of them have ever been in other peoples' homes (well strangers, that is).

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

List your own home to rent and tell them to simply force the door open because it gets stuck sometimes. Take payment up front.

Before the renters arrive, swap out the address numbers on your house and your neighbors house.

Once the renters break in, sneak over disguised as a mail man and replace the original address numbers.

Go back home and call the police and report a burglary on the last day of their stay.

Everyone will chalk it up to a stupid mistake on the part of the renters, they get their stay, you get your money, and the neighbors get a good laugh when you tell them how the dumb renters entered the wrong home but how you're a good neighbor for watching out

Perfect crime

jk don't do this!!,!

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Commie NedFlanders posted:

List your own home to rent and tell them to simply force the door open because it gets stuck sometimes. Take payment up front.

Before the renters arrive, swap out the address numbers on your house and your neighbors house.

Once the renters break in, sneak over disguised as a mail man and replace the original address numbers.

Go back home and call the police and report a burglary on the last day of their stay.

Everyone will chalk it up to a stupid mistake on the part of the renters, they get their stay, you get your money, and the neighbors get a good laugh when you tell them how the dumb renters entered the wrong home but how you're a good neighbor for watching out

Perfect crime

jk don't do this!!,!
That's a really good plan and I appreciate the thought and effort you put into writing it, but you have to keep in mind that I'm really lazy and that sounds like a lot of work and I'd much rather sit in a chair in front of a computer and play Rocket League or something.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

how big is the lawn op? enough space for a few motorhomes? you can charge many people rent this way and they can use the house as a communual bath room

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

What is rocket league

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Commie NedFlanders posted:

What is rocket league

like team rocket, but plural

Hooded Reptile
Aug 31, 2015
It is to bad you do not live in san fransico OP, otherwise you could have done this instead.

http://sf.curbed.com/archives/2015/06/25/backyard_tent_renting_for_899month_sums_up_everything_thats_wrong_with_the_bay_area.php

Good luck though, hope things work out.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Ratjaculation posted:

like team rocket, but plural

Sounds too sexy for me

Smelly Bohemian
Aug 20, 2015

by Lowtax
If you urinate on the front door, back door and bedroom door the house is legally considered your property.

source: It just makes sense.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

This is just the type of entrepreneurial idea America was founded on. You'd go far with this if it wasn't for the government getting in the way of disruptive ideas like yours that cut overhead so you can compete with the big guys.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Lowtax posted:

Now that's a good suggestion, I'll probably choose Papyrus or Comic Sans.

Wow, undertale much?

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
sounds good, OP!

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Lowtax posted:

I'm intentionally never finishing the Ripper LP just so people will stop saying to finish playing Cry of Fear.

But you did finish Cry of Fear.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

Hooded Reptile posted:

It is to bad you do not live in san fransico OP, otherwise you could have done this instead.

http://sf.curbed.com/archives/2015/06/25/backyard_tent_renting_for_899month_sums_up_everything_thats_wrong_with_the_bay_area.php

Good luck though, hope things work out.

gently caress silicon valley

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Smelly Bohemian posted:

If you urinate on the front door, back door and bedroom door the house is legally considered your property.

source: It just makes sense.

Warning: Read up on local laws, as not all states follow dog/hobo rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
private property is a myth op, nobody owns anything

• Locked thread