Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Hellioning posted:

I enjoy how Heero has a tiny card.

Arc Hammer posted:

He's holding onto it until the most dramatic moment to tear it up and threaten Ralena.

I'm disappointed it isn't already ripped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/MechaGirlOTD/status/1777016790473748707/video/2

You know it's too bad that Ocean never got the chance to dub After War Gundam X because they could have put Mark in as the doctor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj6MnHueUUI&t=1s

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Gripweed posted:

You have to decode clues on the website to find locations you have to go to in real life to fight someone to unlock the next clue.

Hahah perfect

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/RetrOjou/status/1777050188785324277?t=SyRW0QaHAw13sE38AJIrmw&s=19

This man is 35

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

War stress.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Warmachine posted:

War stress.

On the other hand, Cima and Bright aged better despite having even more stress.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

On the other hand, Cima and Bright aged better despite having even more stress.

Bright looked 35 at age 19.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

WrightOfWay posted:

He was so stressed he burnt out his sclera

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Bright however had the Bright slap which has the amazing power to halt the aging affects of stress

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

WrightOfWay posted:

And 35 in his 40s. On the net, it's not the worst deal.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he could have made a cameo in turn a, still looking 35

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

he could have made a cameo in turn a, still looking 35

Knowing Turn-A the hamburger he had would have looked amazing.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I’ve been rewatching 0083 for the first time in over a decade, and drat I’d forgotten how much Kou sucks. I’d forgotten that he helps Layzner rebuild the MA after he found out it was for the Delaz fleet. Goddamn Goku giving Cell a Senzu Bean moment. By even beyond that, Kou being surprised to find out Layzner was a pilot really shows off just how genuinely stupid he is. Kou is visibly shocked when he’s told that the one-armed man of military bearing rebuilding a Mobile Armor in his garage was a pilot.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

0083 is hilarious and i love how the eyecatch is a jumpscare

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
God his last name really is Layzner. Never noticed that when I first watched and how obvious it is now.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

but that animation is so good

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Apparently the visuals for 0083 were a nightmare for the animators which is a big reason why the post-0083 Gundam shows switched to a flatter art style. It does look incredible but it must have been so taxing.

https://twitter.com/MON0EYE/status/1758654880783491525?t=S5zcsmD29_3tgVA8-gBbNQ&s=19

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 8, 2024

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Gripweed posted:

I’ve been rewatching 0083 for the first time in over a decade, and drat I’d forgotten how much Kou sucks. I’d forgotten that he helps Layzner rebuild the MA after he found out it was for the Delaz fleet. Goddamn Goku giving Cell a Senzu Bean moment. By even beyond that, Kou being surprised to find out Layzner was a pilot really shows off just how genuinely stupid he is. Kou is visibly shocked when he’s told that the one-armed man of military bearing rebuilding a Mobile Armor in his garage was a pilot.

The entire middle slice of 0083 feels intentionally written to make the viewer think Kou is the biggest dumbass in the known universe.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Kanos posted:

The entire middle slice of 0083 feels intentionally written to make the viewer think Kou is the biggest dumbass in the known universe.

I'd also forgotten that when Kou takes the Gundam out in space even after being specifically told that it's not equipped for space combat and will be immediately destroyed, he had been offered the use of a spare GM. They were going to let him fight, just in a GM that was equipped for space combat instead of the Gundam that was not equipped for space combat.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
To be fair, Nina was actively loving around with Kou that episode by not actually giving him the correct Gundam data or something, leading to his cascading poor decisions

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Kanos posted:

Is he not?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It might be on purpose when it was pointed out Kou's hatred of carrots is because he's voiced by Vegeta

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

MechaX posted:

To be fair, Nina was actively loving around with Kou that episode by not actually giving him the correct Gundam data or something, leading to his cascading poor decisions

No they were having... "flirty" back and forth about each of them coming up with their own adjustments to improve the GP01's maneuverability in space. When Kou decides he's going to take the GP01 out, she actually tries to give him a disc with her adjustments on it, but he knocks it out of her hand and uses his own.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Nuebot posted:

Is he not?

Up until the "I'm gonna deploy the GP-01 in space despite literally everyone including its designer telling me not to do it and offering me completely workable alternatives that would still allow me to fight" bit, Kou wasn't really portrayed as actively self-destructively stupid, just inexperienced and somewhat naive.

Gripweed posted:

No they were having... "flirty" back and forth about each of them coming up with their own adjustments to improve the GP01's maneuverability in space. When Kou decides he's going to take the GP01 out, she actually tries to give him a disc with her adjustments on it, but he knocks it out of her hand and uses his own.

Yeah, I'm sure the idea of that scene was to sell the idea that Kou was getting a big head because he had a few relatively successful engagements in the Gundam and wanted to cement himself as the Gundam pilot/expert, but they did it by having him completely disregard Nina's data and objections because surely the designer of the Gundam wouldn't know better than the guy who was piloting it, right?

Kanos fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 9, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Captain Synapse and South Burning really did a poo poo job at reining in their pilots' worst behaviour. Kou acts like an idiot while Monsha actively antagonizes him without any other pilots stopping it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Monsha is pretty much the root cause of all disciplinary problems on the Albion up until they go to space for the first time, and it's 100% Burning's fault for never doing anything about it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Gripweed posted:

The relationship between Kou and Nina may very well be one of the most toxic relationships in Gundam because like he's into her, she's into him, but like they play 'games' with each other, there are 'tests' and it's just so loving awful. It's hilarious that 0083 rebellion looked at that and instead of changing it went "No no, the point is it's a terrible relationship." And loving hammered on it with how crazy Nina acts. But also I don't think that space data thing happens in Rebellion.

Rebellion is such a bizarre manga.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

Apparently the visuals for 0083 were a nightmare for the animators which is a big reason why the post-0083 Gundam shows switched to a flatter art style. It does look incredible but it must have been so taxing.
As much as I have this probably unfair resentment of 0083 because hypothetical lines can be drawn between it existing and there not being more of my beloved F91, I love the look of Victory, so I've got to appreciate it for this.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Gripweed posted:

It was playful at the start, but Mora flat out calls her out on this because she knew Nina had the correct data from the get go. Plus, there’s also the part where she bluntly tells Kou that the Gundam isn’t his toy (which is true), but saying “actually maybe Monsha should be piloting the Gundam” is an absolute low blow thing to say *with both of them present*

There’s a reason Mora comes out of that situation with a “what the gently caress is wrong with you right now Nina” reaction

MechaX fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Apr 9, 2024

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

In fairness to Nina, "actually maybe Monsha should be piloting the Gundam" is only a low blow because Kou has the emotional maturity of a toddler

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Eh, if it was just a normal person, yeah true.

But Monsha spends his days drinking and/or antagonizing everyone on the ship and he literally caused Kou to crash the spare core fighter a couple of days prior just for funsies. Nina does not, under any circumstances, gotta hand it to Monsha.

MechaX fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Apr 9, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And Burning quietly wishing he could blow off steam and act like a jackass alongside his buddies does no good for maintaining discipline and morale.

The story does emphasize that the Albion crew was getting hung out to dry by the rest of the EFSF by being sent on a wild goose chase. Less intentionally they're a massive band of dangerous gently caress ups who cause a whole heap of problems. I dont think the show intended to say "we sent the stupidest we had after our stolen nuke" but they certainly come off that way.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
0083 is meant to show us the factional divide that's occurred within the Federation. Kowen's sent the Albion after the GP-02, but that runs in contrast to the fact Gene Connoly was the one who let it get stolen in the loving first place and that Jamitov and Connoly are effectively performing planned Decimation to weaken the federation and strengthens their position in the lead up to the formation of the Titans.

Unfortunately, we spend most of the show stuck in Kou's relationship drama, which wouldn't be too bad, except his relationship drama is with Nina loving Purpleton. A character to whom, the creator of 0083, when writing the Rebellion manga, his chance to adjust and change things, which there are several good ones, went "No no, Nina Purpleton being a crazy bitch? That's not a mistake, she's a psycho!" Like... Monsha's toned down, the crash mentioned here:

MechaX posted:

Eh, if it was just a normal person, yeah true.

But Monsha spends his days drinking and/or antagonizing everyone on the ship and he literally caused Kou to crash the spare core fighter a couple of days prior just for funsies. Nina does not, under any circumstances, gotta hand it to Monsha.

Comes from Dick Allen (who survives the initial attack) trying to sabotage Kou so he can convince the higher-ups to give him the gundam because he's scared shitless and wants the biggest gun. Monsha has a lot of his womanizing bullshit stowed aside and hell the final arc of the manga is him as the lead.

So the fact that like there's a lot of nuance and thought and development put in... and Nina comes across as a psycho, that's not because "Oh we have to stick to the source." She's meant to be a bad person.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
The Neo Delaz Fleet stuff feels like a parody of UC Gundam sidestories.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Fivemarks posted:

The Neo Delaz Fleet stuff feels like a parody of UC Gundam sidestories.

It is so weird, do understand why it exists though from the author's notes.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I finished Turn A the other night and ended up really liking it! I thought the beginning was a bit slow, but it really takes off around the halfway point. Uncategorized thoughts below:

I definitely wasn't expecting the reveal that the Turn A universe takes place thousands of years after UC (or a potential future for any of the timelines, now that I'm looking at the wiki). I always thought that the separate of timelines was a big thing in Gundam. Kind of a bummer for whatever show the dark past takes place in.

Even the show is arguably at its best when the cast heads to space, most of the character arcs are complete. Most of the focus is on worldbuilding and establishing last-minute villains. Sochie becomes "person who is often standing next to Miashei" during the last handful of episodes. There could have been a little more development (or at least turning some of the subtext into text) of what was going on between her and Loran. But their scenes in the epilogue do hit hard. While you know how Sochie feels, Loran seems weirdly indifferent to living like a hermit to feed Dianna soup. And Dianna could have at least settled somewhere decently close to Sochie.

Loran could have been less passive in general. He's just along for the ride for most of the show. He doesn't even bother correcting people on his name or gender 90 percent of the time. I've seen worse protagonists, but he's not that interesting compared to most of the other characters.

I don't like that Cancer and Muron aren't with the rest of the Red team in the epilogue. Very ominous considering the last time you see them.

I don't really understand how freezing works on the moon. People are hundreds or thousands of years old, but biologically teenagers. Are they only staying unfrozen for a few days at a time? Does freezing de-age people?

Merribell is a better Harley Quinn knockoff than I was expecting. It was great when she started poo poo talking Gym at the end. I wish she and some of the other moon characters were introduced earlier.

Gym looks like a pokemon trainer. Not much to say about him. But I did love that he spends half his screen time practically begging for someone to have a swordfight with him. Gym's "good enough!" when Loran says he has kind of used a sword once before was great.

I feel robbed that we didn't get any scenes with Sweatson Stero outside of his mobile suit on Earth. I really wanted to see how lazy and awful he could be at normal gravity. Great character.

Jacop and Bruno are total bros. Jacop makes the best faces. Even when he's totally focused on his job and doing his best, he always looks like he's scheming something dumb.

That scene where Agrippa escapes through the ceiling via a rising floor tile reminded me of that one scene in Witch from Mercury.

And Guin Lineford remains God's perfect idiot. He literally can't comprehend not coming out on top as his ship is crashing and his men abandoning him. At least he gets a sweet look in the epilogue.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.fathomevents.com/events/mobile-suit-gundam-seed-freedom/

Seedom tickets and showtimes are available

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Turn A has a bunch of weirdness around it and I remember internet rumors telling me that they originally wanted a female lead. In a modern context Loran comes off as fairly nonbinary. I haven’t watched the series in a while but I remember thinking it could probably be improved by trimming the series length down by about half.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That rumor was completely false

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

I dunno that I've ever deliberately seen a bad movie before.