Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Arbite posted:

Hah! What, one for every character that gets added to the frame? This I gotta see.

Technically? Something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kanos posted:

SRW is a loooot more simplistic than Gihren's Ambition and a lot more flashy. There's definitely a market for 4X games and grand strategy games, I just am on a serious level of doubt that a franchise that failed to continue to find purchase in what should be the most fertile ground possible(selling what amounts to a OYW simulator to Japanese fans) would see much more success in a broader context.

Note that if they did it I'd buy it on day one, of course.

Well, if that's your sole requirement, good news! There's a translation patch for the game in question which has a bunch of the routes finished.

That's part of where I question the decision. For some reason I have it in my brain that 4X and grand strategy don't have the same market appeal in Japan as they do in the west. Cursory searching suggests my stereotype might be right; the statistics I found don't even have anything I recognize as 'strategy' in the top ten. (I saw something called 'command RPG' in one list which isn't even a real genre but I could see applying to what we call SRPG.)

So calling it the 'most fertile ground possible' feels wrong--throwing a super popular franchise on one of the least popular genres domestically should probably come out in the wash. Which is why usually when I get on this "make Gihren's Greed but English" kick I'm usually explicit about 'license Paradox, Firaxis, or Amplitude to make a Gundam game' and want it marketed in the west primarily. I suspect it would do better in foreign markets compared to domestic ones on genre alone.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 13, 2024

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

A Gundam grand strategy game, even in the west, would still be a niche of a niche

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Just make a Hearts of Iron mod.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Warmachine posted:

That's part of where I question the decision. For some reason I have it in my brain that 4X and grand strategy don't have the same market appeal in Japan as they do in the west. Cursory searching suggests my stereotype might be right; the statistics I found don't even have anything I recognize as 'strategy' in the top ten. (I saw something called 'command RPG' in one list which isn't even a real genre but I could see applying to what we call SRPG.)

So calling it the 'most fertile ground possible' feels wrong--throwing a super popular franchise on one of the least popular genres domestically should probably come out in the wash.

What we call SRPG (Strategy RPG) is actually called Simulation RPG in Japan. They just call 4X games... 4X

https://automaton-media.com/articles/columnjp/about-4x-game/

Arc Hammer posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=2064985570

Already exists.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 13, 2024

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Arc Hammer posted:

Do it do it

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

...does bandai ever farm out their IPs instead of just making the game themselves? Does paradox ever develop games that they let someone else publish?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ninjewtsu posted:

...does bandai ever farm out their IPs instead of just making the game themselves? Does paradox ever develop games that they let someone else publish?

There's that one Gundam Unicorn game that From Software made, and they've worked for publisher Bandai Namco on multiple occasions

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Artdink had a series of Gundam arcade shooters that I dearly miss.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah Bandai has outside devs work on stuff all the time

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

Gripweed posted:

Once again, a lot of people owe Gundam Seed an apology.

Nah, if it's in the story bible it doesn't count. Seed puts all the acronyms in the show

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Dumbass acronyms are one of SEED's more realistic aspects.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Yeah. My problem with SEED's acronyms are that they aren't poo poo like ANGEL or SIEGFRIED.

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019
I finished re-watching the original 1979 Gundam a couple days ago. I remembered enjoying the show well enough the first time around, but thinking there was a lot stupid filler in the middle.

After re-watching it, my opinion of the show has skyrocketed. It starts out incredibly compelling from episode 1, and I was shocked to find on the re-watch every single episode advanced the plot and characters. Yeah there are a few bits here and there that are obviously a mandate to sell more stupid toys, but they're mostly just a single scene in an otherwise great episode. Now that I'm older a lot of the character conflicts make a lot more sense now, where as when I was younger they often seemed kind of stupid and annoying. Only real complaint is I didn't like Mirai suddenly falling for Lt. America, I actually completely forgot about that character existing lmao.

Even the old animation quality and relatively heavy use of stock footage didn't bother me much on the re-watch. The show is just fundamentally GOOD. Incredible story telling.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Lazy Fair posted:

I finished re-watching the original 1979 Gundam a couple days ago. I remembered enjoying the show well enough the first time around, but thinking there was a lot stupid filler in the middle.

After re-watching it, my opinion of the show has skyrocketed. It starts out incredibly compelling from episode 1, and I was shocked to find on the re-watch every single episode advanced the plot and characters. Yeah there are a few bits here and there that are obviously a mandate to sell more stupid toys, but they're mostly just a single scene in an otherwise great episode. Now that I'm older a lot of the character conflicts make a lot more sense now, where as when I was younger they often seemed kind of stupid and annoying. Only real complaint is I didn't like Mirai suddenly falling for Lt. America, I actually completely forgot about that character existing lmao.

Even the old animation quality and relatively heavy use of stock footage didn't bother me much on the re-watch. The show is just fundamentally GOOD. Incredible story telling.

Hell yeah.

Reminds me i need to watch Doans Island again

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/AriaOfTheStar/status/1779240100045492314?t=UfZuhCHZr5JIyKcnOBNPRw&s=19

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the thing you have to remember is that sleggar was a super hot chad.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

He was supposed to be based on Stallone, but Yas never saw Rocky.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the only other guy on the ship with muscles was ryu, and well. ryu.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

He was more fun in Doan’s island: “you kids ever been court martialed?”

Fuckin killed me when he said it

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://x.com/MechaGirlOTD/status/1780746632348196941

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the titans were 100% motivated by fear of spacenoids increasing the hotness gap.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

the titans were 100% motivated by fear of spacenoids increasing the hotness gap.

I mean, Emma's representing Earth pretty well there.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/GundamInfoNA/status/1780612194914243022?t=DKkNxLQi7mLbQ1rWZrLzBw&s=19

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I do NOT care about the bear

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Is that emma? The purple in the hair made me think it was.... gender swapped Paptimus.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Her hair isn't purple it's just lighting

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
She's wearing green and yellow, total Emma colors. But also this randomly being rule 63 art would be weird anyway.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/anpanmansa_n/status/1781262919789089155?t=lim20Ki9aY0gZDAH7c6z8g&s=19

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

EXVS posting but

https://twitter.com/exvsdb/status/1781154502353068254

godspeed, hi-nu

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Man I like the suit too but with those numbers it's gotta be busted as hell

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Gaius Marius posted:

Man I like the suit too but with those numbers it's gotta be busted as hell

The fun thing is that it's still maintaining this level of dominance after a nerf.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
What the hell happened to the Nu 2 months ago?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Narrative premiered for streaming on the Gundaminfo YT this morning

Subs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnOYrla5lD4

Dub
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ylOEjdJYKg

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Caphi posted:

What the hell happened to the Nu 2 months ago?

The Hi-Nu was a complete dumpster fire for most of Overboost's existence. It got an absolutely massive buff/rework at the end of January that catapulted it from bottom of the dumpster to far and away the best suit in the entire game, easily displacing the then-current strongest suits. The recent dip in March was after it received a substantial nerf, but it's so powerful that even after the nerf it's the best suit in the game by a mile.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/nokoberuri/status/1781518151877824756?t=vp23nqg4W0O9RG4KBKKApA&s=19

"Not the best way." (It's okay she did it out of love)

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

So I hated G Gundam as a kid. I had a wierd thing about Copying and to my child brain G gundam was a bad copy of Wing (cuz guess which one I saw first). Anyway, didn't give it a chance. Also didn't help that the G Gundam toys were way way worse than the wing ones.

After years and years of G Gundam praise on the forums, I gave it another shot in like, 2009? Got a ways into it like 20 or so eps with my roomies but I was not doing it. Also, we were watching dub because it was being praised for hat at the time too.

After seeing a ton of posts on twitter about G because of the anniversary, and having recently rewatched Giant Robo and appreciating it vastly more than when I watched it in early college, I started giving G another another shot (with the sub this time).

3 eps in and I'm enjoying it a lot more. I think the dub was getting in my way a lot (I think we dropped it in 09 because domon wouldn't shut the gently caress up about a super move in that one ep, which at the time felt so goddamn stupid for a gundam show but it's fine as a martial arts gundam thing and not having to hear the dub actor say it exactly the same anonoying way each time, hopefully).

Anyway I've been posting thoughts on twitter and was wondering if people are okay with me posting thoughts here off the top of my head as I go. I'm watching Ep 4 rn with france gundam.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sure, do it!

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

ep.2
Very funny for Domon to knock out a black boxer and take his place in the ring... and nobody notices until he takes his hood down!

I really think the dub was getting in my way. Watching it as a lens of how early 90s japan viewed other cultures is a lotta fun.

ep.3
Wait why does domon still have the photo he ripped it up in the first ep..?

ep.4
Hey now I don't like the disrespect being shown castro gundam

"I don't want to fight you gently caress off idiot" - france gundam

Domon has gone from moody to arrogant in 3 eps.

lotta kidnapping on this huh

Love the funnels as roses. Not sure if I like them puckering before they fire tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

DamnGlitch posted:

So I hated G Gundam as a kid. I had a wierd thing about Copying and to my child brain G gundam was a bad copy of Wing (cuz guess which one I saw first). Anyway, didn't give it a chance. Also didn't help that the G Gundam toys were way way worse than the wing ones.

After years and years of G Gundam praise on the forums, I gave it another shot in like, 2009? Got a ways into it like 20 or so eps with my roomies but I was not doing it. Also, we were watching dub because it was being praised for hat at the time too.

After seeing a ton of posts on twitter about G because of the anniversary, and having recently rewatched Giant Robo and appreciating it vastly more than when I watched it in early college, I started giving G another another shot (with the sub this time).

3 eps in and I'm enjoying it a lot more. I think the dub was getting in my way a lot (I think we dropped it in 09 because domon wouldn't shut the gently caress up about a super move in that one ep, which at the time felt so goddamn stupid for a gundam show but it's fine as a martial arts gundam thing and not having to hear the dub actor say it exactly the same anonoying way each time, hopefully).

Anyway I've been posting thoughts on twitter and was wondering if people are okay with me posting thoughts here off the top of my head as I go. I'm watching Ep 4 rn with france gundam.

I mean, I'm always happy to hear peoples' thoughts on stuff. That's why I post on this and other forums.

G was actually the first Gundam I ever saw. I wanna say it was my senior year of high school, a guy I knew at the time sold it to me as "DBZ with robots." That was enough to convince a 16-year-old me to check it out. I liked it a lot but I haven't seen it since. I've ben meaning to rrewatch it for ages but it just slips my mind.

The English dub as I recall was done by Blue Water, the "B- Team" of Ocean Group who did all the Gundam TV series dubs at the time. Ocean did SEED and Wing and of course 0079, BW got Zeta and G. They tend to be...hit or miss. I'm a Zoids fan and if you compare the dub of Chaotic Century/Guardian Force(Blue Water) and New Century Zero(Ocean), NCZ blows the first Zoids series out of the water. But at the same time, I feel like BW's....distinctive brand of acting and writing kinda fits G and Zoids. They're very...I dunno, hokey In a charming way? Like it's serious but also very intentionally over-the-top? Domon's dub VA is also Irvine in Zoids. He's not the kind of guy I'd want for Kira crying in SEED but for the kind of story G is, and the kind of dialogue Domon has, it fits.

But maybe I'm making excuses for nostalgia and because I am limited to English dubs.