Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lol yoooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

haypliss posted:

At this point I might take any non-imploding production. Though the post about whether the 00 movie is doing something appropriate for Gundam and having recently finished the newer-translated 80s SD stuff, I will still naively hope that they can explore some new possibilities too.

I just don't think Gundam as a franchise needs to involve aliens. It's just...not the scope of the narrative that makes sense for me, Gundam is far too grounded in human conflict to need that added to it.

IBO and WFM were sufficiently adjacent/different but familiar enough for me to consider them a really good stretch of the core features of the franchise. I think they can be creative with the property without taking it places that feel out of sorts for it.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 2, 2024

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think the aliens in the 00 movie is the sort of thing that probably had to be tried in some form at one point, if even only to realize "yeah this doesn't work"

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah it probably doesn't work in Gundam...but OTOH can you imagine if first contact was aliens seeing Char venting about Lalah could of been his mom to Amuro? That would be a hell of a first contact

Edit: Well Aliens did actually work in Re:Rise but they actually put the work into make them work and it's more of a spin off than a proper Gundam (despite being the most Gundam of them)

SatoshiMiwa fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 2, 2024

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They spent most of 00 laying groundwork. They just totally hosed up the execution.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I think an alien first contact/invasion story in UC Gundam could work but you'd kind of need to flag it explicitly as "what if/elseworlds" because it doesn't work in general. However, part of the appeal would in fact be the outside context problem. Newtype business also allows a way where you can make a cross-species connection.

A hack would probably also make it out like the aliens are responsible for the Fed/Zeon conflict, as opposed to simply showing up or possibly using the chaos as cover for -- whatever they want to do.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The ELS genuinely need more time and you need to have a team who is able to make Psychic Dude Communicates With Alien Species feel compelling instead of having him do it offscreen.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Nessus posted:

A hack would probably also make it out like the aliens are responsible for the Fed/Zeon conflict, as opposed to simply showing up or possibly using the chaos as cover for -- whatever they want to do.

i see you too had hopes that last season's metallic rouge would be a good television show.

about gundam tho, i think it would fit better in late UC with a more diasporic humanity and newtypey high weirdness, which also sidesteps any potentiality for zeonic alien mind control

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ImpAtom posted:

The ELS genuinely need more time and you need to have a team who is able to make Psychic Dude Communicates With Alien Species feel compelling instead of having him do it offscreen.

Arrival or Contact but as a Gundam story would be tricky but neat if they pulled it off.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
They already have a perfect UC aliens story, just animate Gigantis' Counterattack.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Imagine if the lapis box or whatever had confirmed alien life info instead of new type stuff, that psycho tech was based off of it or something.

Even weave in "we knew new types could be a thing because of all this stuff we found and it spooked us"

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Getting my preorder in for the HG 1/144 Queeblorx's Tic-Tac Commander Type.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

jackhunter64 posted:

Getting my preorder in for the HG 1/144 Queeblorx's Tic-Tac.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Arbite posted:

Finally reading Origin. There's a lot to love but my favourite character tweak has to be Bright's constant nervous energy.

Being quietly giddy as he waits to ambush Char is :kiss: just a great beat.

Goddammit, Operation Odessa with the lyrics to Ai Senshi in the narration actually got me tearing up.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Gaius Marius posted:

They spent most of 00 laying groundwork. They just totally hosed up the execution.

Yeah, 00 just had problems with execution which I wouldn't use to set a franchise rule. A future story including aliens also doesn't need to be a first contact thing.

The Notorious ZSB posted:

IBO and WFM were sufficiently adjacent/different but familiar enough for me to consider them a really good stretch of the core features of the franchise. I think they can be creative with the property without taking it places that feel out of sorts for it.

Agreed and appreciated they haven't been doing things lately like some older AUs that seemed to inevitably cave under reheated UC beats. This is really just a feeling caused by looking at the mixed bag of 00 while also going 30+ years back to the boom of SD shorts. There's a surprising variety there and several veins they never really went back to like ReGZ the Shipper or Dawn of Papal, let alone Commando/Gundlander being pretty neglected in favor of Musha/Kishi. I'm mourning a dead era well after the fact, I guess. Though less hosed anime production might at least enable the bandwidth for Gundam to have more stuff going on like this.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Even WFM succumbed to an eleventh hour colony laser

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WFM doing basically the same thing as Unicorn really felt very strange.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I blame it on the misfortune of its birth production hell.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I can tolerate a laser, but I guess missing Unicorn saved me from the other part lol. IBO is definitely the better of the two as far as examples go, they got to be different and things were going well/supported enough to get a full 50 episodes. Even just getting a better handled two cours would be fine at this point though!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Colony lasers suck in general and aside from the Solar System in 0079 I have never liked them.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
The 00 colony laser was actually one of the best parts of season 2. But that's the only time I can think of past 0079 I've really been excited to see one, unless you count the Statue of Liberty in G Gundam

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Are you guys forgetting how cool the whole three way battle over Gryps was, and having Bright pull the trigger on the Titans? X probably has the worst one, totally forgettable

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Can't forget Victory's dick-and-balls shaped cannon.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Yeah it probably doesn't work in Gundam...but OTOH can you imagine if first contact was aliens seeing Char venting about Lalah could of been his mom to Amuro? That would be a hell of a first contact

Edit: Well Aliens did actually work in Re:Rise but they actually put the work into make them work and it's more of a spin off than a proper Gundam (despite being the most Gundam of them)

I was reading this discussion and I'm glad someone mentioned that Gundam already did aliens effectively and it was called Re:Rise.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

it's weird that the first AU was the most actually an AU in the way we might otherwise think of it, working the franchise themes into a totally different set of genre tropes. do more of that

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

Mister Olympus posted:

it's weird that the first AU was the most actually an AU in the way we might otherwise think of it, working the franchise themes into a totally different set of genre tropes. do more of that

They did it bad that time, but they could have made it good! They should do like, spaghetti western Gundam or hardboiled noir Gundam or something

haypliss posted:

Can't forget Victory's dick-and-balls shaped cannon.

Dick and balls cannon was good, but I forgot about it because Victory also has the Angel Halo which is the rare superweapon that isn't just a big gun

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

g gundam is good tho?

also since i'm deep into a victory rewatch, for me the standout was surprisingly less how phallic the space laser was as that the firing mechanism is just a gun someone stuck into the console

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mister Olympus posted:

also since i'm deep into a victory rewatch, for me the standout was surprisingly less how phallic the space laser was as that the firing mechanism is just a gun someone stuck into the console

It's like the BFG 10000 from Doom Eternal.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

Mister Olympus posted:

g gundam is good tho?

G Gundam would be a top 5 Gundam if even half of the episodes had good fights. But the fights are mostly bad and the booking is worse, so instead it's deeply mid. Everything with Master Asia is good, maybe half the Shuffle Alliance + Allenby stuff works. Everything else kinda sucks! I was looking forward to fun ridiculous martial arts mech fights and they mostly aren't good!

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I love that G Gundam fights are largely decided by Some Bullshit, it fits with how silly the show is.

chrome line posted:

The 00 colony laser was actually one of the best parts of season 2. But that's the only time I can think of past 0079 I've really been excited to see one, unless you count the Statue of Liberty in G Gundam

It’s so cool that General Douglas MacArthur is the guy who controls the Statue of Liberty Cannon.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
AGE almost had aliens.

Edit: then it was just Nadesico drat

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

chrome line posted:

They did it bad that time, but they could have made it good! They should do like, spaghetti western Gundam or hardboiled noir Gundam or something
They should just co-fund the return of Big O

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Nessus posted:

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

Nessus posted:

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I kinda of get why G Gundam didn't resonate with Gundam fans at the time as it probably was a bit too different from what Gundam was before to work as the first AU. If it was like the second/third or if it was marketed like Build was than it would of probably got a warmer response at the time

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I kinda of get why G Gundam didn't resonate with Gundam fans at the time as it probably was a bit too different from what Gundam was before to work as the first AU. If it was like the second/third or if it was marketed like Build was than it would of probably got a warmer response at the time

It was a hit, though. Better ratings and toy sales than Victory, got the series back on its feet and let Wing be a solid success.

It was X and Turn A that flopped. (Turn A getting a 50 episode run was basically Sunrise doing one for the art.)

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

chiasaur11 posted:

It was a hit, though. Better ratings and toy sales than Victory, got the series back on its feet and let Wing be a solid success.

It was X and Turn A that flopped. (Turn A getting a 50 episode run was basically Sunrise doing one for the art.)

G Gundam did fine but they do seem slightly embarrassed by it today, judging by the modern gunpla. I think it's fair to say it not being particularly Gundam is a big part of why once it wasn't on air it didn't have the staying power that Wing did but was still way better off than the other 90s Gundam

The audience is mid! Turn A should have gotten 100 episodes like Tomino wanted, I would have loved to just sit in the vibes and cast for another 50 episodes. The only Gundam I wish was longer (other than maybe WfM if being longer would fix all the pacing stuff, which I kinda doubt)

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Gaius Marius posted:

Are you guys forgetting how cool the whole three way battle over Gryps was, and having Bright pull the trigger on the Titans? X probably has the worst one, totally forgettable

No, I haven’t forgotten how much that ruled

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

chrome line posted:

G Gundam did fine but they do seem slightly embarrassed by it today, judging by the modern gunpla. I think it's fair to say it not being particularly Gundam is a big part of why once it wasn't on air it didn't have the staying power that Wing did but was still way better off than the other 90s Gundam

Four MGs before Wing got any, five mass release HGs that still get semi-regularly reprinted, a RG and a Hi-res for the God in the last five years, and new mold HGs recently for the supporting cast, in addition to mass rereleases for the old kits.

As for cultural footprint, Pokemon had the Sekiha Love Love Tenkyoken in 2019, and Ultraman Z had the Shining Finger in 2020. That's some pretty good length of time to still get referenced for no staying power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

chiasaur11 posted:

Four MGs before Wing got any, five mass release HGs that still get semi-regularly reprinted, a RG and a Hi-res for the God in the last five years, and new mold HGs recently for the supporting cast, in addition to mass rereleases for the old kits.

As for cultural footprint, Pokemon had the Sekiha Love Love Tenkyoken in 2019, and Ultraman Z had the Shining Finger in 2020. That's some pretty good length of time to still get referenced for no staying power.

G Gundam isn't doing bad! But if you compare the model kits it's clear G Gundam doesn't compare at all to Wing. Wing has had way more MGs, the main cast HGs are all mass release as opposed to P-Bandai shuffle alliance kits, 5 RGs, and it has a PG. G Gundam is doing better than any non-Wing 90s series, but it's hard to argue it's some massive success considering how little the 3 of them get. Without seeing internal Bandai numbers it's impossible to get more specific than vibes, but my guess it's a mid-tier AU that isn't at the big boys table with Wing and Seed and 00 and the UC stuff but isn't in the corner in shame like X or Age.