Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I'm not saying you can't post hot babes, if it's appropriate to the conversation. But don't put 2 dozen images in the same post, and don't make two dozen posts that are nothing but that in a row either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Don't make me post images of Paula's terrifying eyes and perfectly-round head.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Traveller posted:

Do this with guy art imo

he already did

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Droyer posted:

I'm not saying you can't post hot babes, if it's appropriate to the conversation. But don't put 2 dozen images in the same post, and don't make two dozen posts that are nothing but that in a row either.

Namtab posted:

I uh.... I disagree with you

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

The chat thread already exists. We don't need 2 of them

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Switching tracks a bit, what's everyone's favorite Gundam music? It might be a bit cliché, but i really like the second turn a ed, Tsuki no Mayu https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2NkIJyRylw

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

All the music in Victory is really good. Some of it has a melancholic vibe that suits the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jng-lH4q2b8

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It should not be a surprise that these are among my favorites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Qie69s6dJ8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIV-t6VMwhQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7QXWkimA0A

The cover art for those is also a good reminder of how good the Gundam Wing art can be. The Rhythm Emotion op still looks amazing.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I liked a lot of Gundam Seed's OPs and insert songs when I first watched it. Still do even if I don't care for the show as much nowadays.

On a different note, Gundam Wing's fighting game was rad and had cool music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdhZBPNQ_kM

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Here's something cool I just learned about, concept art for an expanded core fighter and backpack in greco that ended up scrapped, done by akiman. Neat.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
When is Artesia's Sorrow supposed to come out?

OZC
Jan 28, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

When is Artesia's Sorrow supposed to come out?

The BD release is late next month (Amazon Japan says November 26th on my preorder), and I think the streams will go up 2-3 weeks before that.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

IBO thread had me thinking, and the fact that Bring Stabity never piloted a knockoff Exia feels like a missed opportunity.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

T.G. Xarbala posted:

IBO thread had me thinking, and the fact that Bring Stabity never piloted a knockoff Exia feels like a missed opportunity.

His name was supposed to be Bring Stability. :ssh:

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
My hope for IBO is that the dub ends up on adult swim and some kid and their nerdy parent watch it together and have fun watching robots fight and pilots interacting because that's how I got into gundam. My dad was a Robotech fan and I got swept up with it and we would just watch Wing together and have fun.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
quote not edit

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
If we say any thing that has the word Gundam in it, then War in the Pocket is probably my favorite, if we specify it needs to be a not-ova I'll say the first season of 00, if it has to be a show as a whole then the original Mobile Suit Gundam. Favorite robot is either the Zeta or Exia. Though the Barbatos is rapidly seeking to supplant those two.

Gyra_Solune fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Oct 12, 2015

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Namtab posted:

What's everyone's fave gundam (show) and gundam (big robot)

I'm gonna say 00 season 1 and Wing gundam.

turn a and unicorn gundam (untransformed)

reasons: turn a has a big but well-explored cast, which gives it a really strong emotional core. Kanno's amazing soundtrack really reinforces that for me, too. the mechanical design is really unique in a way i like, and it was the first time i had seen a setting like that in anime.

i'm not as big a fan of gundams, but unicorn is really awesome. being monochrome really highlights it's structure, which is kinda blocky/strong and finished with the single horn (idk, would you call it elegant?). the transformation kinda ruins it for me, breaking up the suit with color and into smaller pieces. the v fin is super gaudy too. so, untransformed only!

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Oct 12, 2015

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Namtab posted:

Favorite show is a tough one for me. As a self-contained product, it's probably G; for such a campy, silly show the main story has a lot of heart and introspection in it and the entire cast is wonderful. It's also incredible in the context of a franchise all about how war is poo poo that G Gundam, the silly show about super robot Gundam fighting, is the one that has a final battle that is only resolved when the protagonist opts *not* to fight and instead to share his feelings openly for the first time in his life.

For actual robot design it's probably Destiny, because it's like the lovechild of the F91 and V2(two of my other favorite designs) as designed by an edgy teenager. A close second is the ZZ because it's a huge dumb boondoggle of a unit that should never function but it does.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

His name was supposed to be Bring Stability. :ssh:

His name actually was apparently supposed to be Bring Stabity and was supposed to be a 'distorted' version of Bring Stability. They even called him Bring Stabity in the official dub.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Stabity

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

His name actually was apparently supposed to be Bring Stabity and was supposed to be a 'distorted' version of Bring Stability. They even called him Bring Stabity in the official dub.

Let me tell you about Eww-reka Seven....

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Namtab posted:

Reconguista in G, I think. It's pretty frsh in my mind and I still need to rewatch it so maybe it'll eventually settle back into the overall appreciation I have for most Gundam shows, but Reconguista in G was really good.

As for favorite Gundam, maybe the FA ZZ? It's real big.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
To go with all those videos from a few pages back...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zt09A-Xd7o

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Namtab posted:

G Gundam, because:

Kanos posted:

Favorite show is a tough one for me. As a self-contained product, it's probably G; for such a campy, silly show the main story has a lot of heart and introspection in it and the entire cast is wonderful. It's also incredible in the context of a franchise all about how war is poo poo that G Gundam, the silly show about super robot Gundam fighting, is the one that has a final battle that is only resolved when the protagonist opts *not* to fight and instead to share his feelings openly for the first time in his life.

Favorite suit is Gundam Spiegel because ninjas are awesome.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Woo new Gundam thread.

I'd always recommend SEED as a decent first Gundam, but I mean as long as you're not like jumping into the middle of UC, most series are fine points to start. I cannot decide whether I like ZZ or SEED more, but I'd lean towards ZZ because it had some strong character arcs, the main character was a lot of fun, and the ending of it all was just so good.

My favourite Gundam robot would probably be the Gouf. It's menacing, has a god drat whip, and is piloted by some of the coolest people in Gundam.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
So dudes who watched all of G-Reco, I liked it well enough for the first 4 episodes but there was so much other good poo poo on easier to get sources (CR and Funi for me) that it fell off my radar. Worth going back to watch in full? Also is there anywhere legit to watch them?

The only Gundams I've watched so far are 8th MS (favorite), Gundam Wing (nostalgia/childhood), Gundam 00 (was pretty good, only watched s1 though) and Build Fighters (s1 gently caress yeah, s2 meh didnt finish)

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Razzled posted:

So dudes who watched all of G-Reco, I liked it well enough for the first 4 episodes but there was so much other good poo poo on easier to get sources (CR and Funi for me) that it fell off my radar. Worth going back to watch in full? Also is there anywhere legit to watch them?

The only Gundams I've watched so far are 8th MS (favorite), Gundam Wing (nostalgia/childhood), Gundam 00 (was pretty good, only watched s1 though) and Build Fighters (s1 gently caress yeah, s2 meh didnt finish)

G-reco is contrroversial. I greatly enjoyed it and I know many others who did, but I also know a lot of people hated it. One thing you should know is that it expects you to pay close attention, so if you don't you'll probably have a bad time. It's available on Hulu

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Razzled posted:

If you enjoyed the first 4 episodes keep going. Those are basically the make-or-break it test.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I thought the opening several episodes were greco's strongest. It was fun all the way, but everything got muddled partway through. Worth going back to if you were enjoying it, I think.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Droyer posted:

G-reco is contrroversial. I greatly enjoyed it and I know many others who did, but I also know a lot of people hated it. One thing you should know is that it expects you to pay close attention, so if you don't you'll probably have a bad time. It's available on Hulu

This is it in a nutshell. It's a really good show, but it depends on the viewer paying significantly more attention than most shows for everything to click. If you're used to glossing over lines there will be parts that don't line up or make a lot of sense.

That said, yeah if you liked the first couple of episodes then go for it because the first few episodes are invariably what turns people off on it for the aforementioned reasons.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Is that really controversial or would a better term be divisive

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Divisive is probably better. Controversial would be "Gundam SEED Destiny is a great show" or something.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Namtab posted:

Is that really controversial or would a better term be divisive

I think i get the message across either way. Divisive might have been better, but I didn't think of it at the time.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The controversial part is people who think its perfect in every way and people who think it would have been better with more legible writing. Even among people who thing the latter is the case I haven't seen many people who hate it, just think it could be improved in some way.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I finally finished watching Unicorn. I'm not too happy with how, uh, space magic-y the ending was but it was a pretty cool show full of "gently caress yeah" moments and the ride was well worth it. Now, I'm interested in UC and I never watched anything from that timeline except for 08th MS Team which I absolutely loved (except for the Romeo and Juliet thing). Is there any way to watch the original Gundam, like a remaster or anything, that won't make it feel dated as gently caress? I really really want to watch Zeta, 0083 and all the other stuff I never had a chance to watch but I don't know where to start.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Newest volume of Gundam The Origin is so loving tense. A Baoa Qu is nuts...still.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Azran posted:

Is there any way to watch the original Gundam, like a remaster or anything, that won't make it feel dated as gently caress? I really really want to watch Zeta, 0083 and all the other stuff I never had a chance to watch but I don't know where to start.

There's no way to watch MSG79 that won't make it feel like it was animated on a shoestring budget in the late 70s. It somehow hasn't received a real remake. However:

If you're okay with the bad 70s animation, Bandai are literally releasing MSG79 on Bluray this year, so you can at least obtain the full show legally and in 1080p (for what little that last part is worth with bad 70s animation).

If you can find them, the show was also condensed into three films in 1981 which do a lot to fix the pacing and remove one of the most toyetic/super-robot-ish elements from the show (the G-Armor) in favour of something better (the core booster). I would argue these are worth watching more than MSG79 itself.

If you don't care about MSG79 itself and just want to know who Amuro and Sayla and Char and Lalah are, there's a currently ongoing manga reboot/retelling of MSG79 called Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin that is pretty good, although it diverges significantly from UC canon in quite a few places (sometimes for the better, sometimes not so much). There's also one (soon to be two) tie-in animated film that cover the prequel-to-the-One-Year-War part of The Origin, but I'd argue that that's one of the least good parts of it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And then come back in two years time when they inevitably make OVAs for the rest of The Origin as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So uh apparently a live action adaptation of Unicorn is in the works?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4841884/
http://www.samuraimediaglobal.com/#!launching-of-the-white-devil/c15rc

Even if this is just some fanwork...Why? Why does this exist?