Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Dumb things can often be very popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Arc Hammer posted:

Dumb things can often be very popular.

SEED is the Mr. Beast of gundam?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Nuebot posted:

SEED is the Mr. Beast of gundam?

I'm not gonna say you're wrong

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Question: do funnels work in atmosphere or are they only for space-use? I'm drawing a blank on examples and I'm not sure if the hovering beam grid things that the Shamblo deploys in Unicorn count as funnels or not.

Kshatryia uses them inside the colony in Unicorn as well, which WOULD provoke questions about atmosphere vs. gravity, buuuuuuuuuut they're shown very clearly station keeping just fine along the floor of the colony cylinder so.... :shrug:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

https://twitter.com/GreatCheshire/status/1774555147340763590

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The only "dumb" decision about the whole thing is that it uses the remaster dub voice acting and direction, but that's a years old executive decision by Sunrise at this point and not really relevant to whether it should be being aired in NA theaters or not (it obviously should if they like money).

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I have to wonder at what point people will just accept SEED is popular.

I've grudgingly accepted it for years.

What I've seen of the movie has moved me from "grudging acceptance" to "amused acceptance".

Seems that the movie actually looked at the things that didn't work about Destiny and actually addressed them, including leaning into the aspects of Kira's character that are kinda interesting, rather than the flawless paragon that late Destiny went with. Hard for me to not respect that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/sky_sheno/status/1774723673301340270?t=SxFzvs8bRquKfdPFxFSw6A&s=19

I like this fan design of the EX. Putting ERA packs on the shield and including the Tieren-style shin plate gives it more chunk while keeping the overall look.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
I just want to say I understand that SEED is popular, but the character and mobile suit designs are hideous. 20 years of technical improvements since Destiny and this is what they come up with. Especially after WfM and Hathaway looked so god drat good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm a big Kunio Okawara fan so I don't hate the MS designs of SEED but they look so much better as gunpla than they do in animation.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

I'm a big Kunio Okawara fan so I don't hate the MS designs of SEED but they look so much better as gunpla than they do in animation.

Mind you, the secret sauce is that the Gunpla engineers massively redesigned them from Okawara's original drawings. The MG Providence in particular is a very different beast.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Darth Walrus posted:

Mind you, the secret sauce is that the Gunpla engineers massively redesigned them from Okawara's original drawings. The MG Providence in particular is a very different beast.

And Yas did cleanups on Okawara's original 0079 designs, too. The bones are solid but they need a great artist to make them flourish.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Apprentice Dick posted:

I just want to say I understand that SEED is popular, but the character and mobile suit designs are hideous. 20 years of technical improvements since Destiny and this is what they come up with. Especially after WfM and Hathaway looked so god drat good.

I like most of SEED's suit designs, but the character designs are eh even besides Hisashi Hirai and the show in motion just does not look good to me.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Having drone shows of Sulemio and Charmuro is good and cool, but we need to talk about Tomino’s fit from the closing ceremony.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Warmachine posted:

Kshatryia uses them inside the colony in Unicorn as well, which WOULD provoke questions about atmosphere vs. gravity, buuuuuuuuuut they're shown very clearly station keeping just fine along the floor of the colony cylinder so.... :shrug:

They're showing firing thrusters continuously, which is what I'd expect in that scenario.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/GundamInfoNA/status/1774859274356666413?t=wIBfGaaIgvlxjzMR8A8ueg&s=19

Gundam Info NA playing on chaos mode this April Fools.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

people answering zechs and treize like their plan didn't go off without a hitch

the master asia answer is legit tho

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Rau. No more SEED

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Apprentice Dick posted:

Gundam Seed Freedom if it used the same 20 years of technical improvements Hathaway did:

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

ImpAtom posted:

I have to wonder at what point people will just accept SEED is popular.

Oh I accept that it’s popular, I just don’t accept that it’s good.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Seemlar posted:

Gundam Seed Freedom if it used the same 20 years of technical improvements Hathaway did:

we need to go deeper

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
neither of those dim mobile suits look like confusing robot swans. do better next time.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Seemlar posted:

looks better imo

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Yaoipilled/status/1775187974130704472?t=UdFj4H94bhFV00Ims2o8FQ&s=19

Oh no Rie Tanaka noooo

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I Can Fix Her

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That's an oof. A funny oof.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Already gone.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Midjack posted:

Already gone.

The tweet was about Rie Tanaka being in LA to promote SEED Freedom and being met with silence when she tried to get the crowd to say Sieg Zeon.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

The tweet was about Rie Tanaka being in LA to promote SEED Freedom and being met with silence when she tried to get the crowd to say Sieg Zeon.

Good for the crowd; I remember the SCGMC many years ago had a couple of Wehraboo Zeon freaks dressed in their finest army navy store WWII Wermacht repros waving around one of the Nazi war ensign Zeon flags and hooting Sieg Zeon anytime a Zeon model won a UC category and I'm glad the Southland fans have grown up a bit.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Still going to hate seed but that's my problem, not anyone else's. Still annoyed at the usual Gundam references becoming direct Gundam fanservice. At least when real world militaries invent dumb backronyms, the result is something. Zaku and Gouf aren't even pre-existing words in the seedverse. It'd make sense if it was one of the Gunpla series because fans can do whatever dumb poo poo they want (even air gunpla, as much as I hate that).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Argas posted:

Still going to hate seed but that's my problem, not anyone else's. Still annoyed at the usual Gundam references becoming direct Gundam fanservice. At least when real world militaries invent dumb backronyms, the result is something. Zaku and Gouf aren't even pre-existing words in the seedverse. It'd make sense if it was one of the Gunpla series because fans can do whatever dumb poo poo they want (even air gunpla, as much as I hate that).

On one hand I get what you're saying.

On the other hand it isn't like Gundam is a word either. Like there's not really a meaningful difference between "This world has Gundam" and "This world has Zaku and Gouf and Z'gok" except that one is the title of the series.

Edit: And also to be fair 'kind of nonsense words' fit right in with BuCUE, GuAIZ, GINN, CGUE, and of course GOOhN.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 2, 2024

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Argas posted:

zaku is japanese for lesser fish

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

ImpAtom posted:

On one hand I get what you're saying.

On the other hand it isn't like Gundam is a word either. Like there's not really a meaningful difference between "This world has Gundam" and "This world has Zaku and Gouf and Z'gok" except that one is the title of the series.

Edit: And also to be fair 'kind of nonsense words' fit right in with BuCUE, GuAIZ, GINN, CGUE, and of course GOOhN.

It is entirely my problem.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like when the SD Gundam Zakus march while chanting their name.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmWuR4FvHgo

Getting some serious Fraggle Rock vibes off of this it's super impressive.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

why the gently caress are the turn-a gundam blu rays 60 bucks each

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Stairmaster posted:

why the gently caress are the turn-a gundam blu rays 60 bucks each

"TURN A GUNDAM" guy gets royalties every time the intro plays.

Somehow still better than mid 00s Gundam DVD pricing.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Japanese blu rays are always that expensive

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Randallteal posted:

"TURN A GUNDAM" guy gets royalties every time the intro plays.

Somehow still better than mid 00s Gundam DVD pricing.

well atleast its for a good cause

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The funny thing is, the guy pictured isn't an antagonist. He spends the whole second season on the same side as the leads.

They'd probably have been better off if he had been trying to screw them over, really, since the guy on the other side was really, really competent.

Really, though, even the absolute worst people Post Disaster were just regular lovely, without the crazy apocalyptic goals that most shows reach.