Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sorasteru Bean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
00 is really funny.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Patrick colasour is both a top tier gundam name and a top tier gundam character

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ninjewtsu posted:

Patrick colasour is both a top tier gundam name and a top tier gundam character

Patrick Colasour is my favourite Gundam Build Divers character.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

00 S1 is good, S2 is mediocre, and I cannot form an opinion about the movie because of my hatred for it constantly showing up in SRW coloring things.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

The movie is just, not a place Gundam needs to go. Interesting idea, that this particular franchise is frankly not really setup to tackle imo. Just way outside its zone.

00 is a strong entry imo even if S2 is not as good as S1 its still better than a number of the other AU and I'd say even a couple UC entries.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

haypliss posted:

Not enough Descartes Shaman.

00 is maybe pound-for-pound the show with the dumbest Gundam names. There’s always a new one to surprise me!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

00 is maybe pound-for-pound the show with the dumbest Gundam names. There’s always a new one to surprise me!

BRING STABBITY, NOOOOOOOO

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Everyone always mentions Bring Stabbity but it's Revive Revival for me in the lol what 00 names.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
Anew Returner and Grave Violento are probably my faves

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That said the ultimate Gundam name is and will remain Klimton Nicchini's father Zuchini Nicchini.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
One of my favorite parts of 00 so far is Saji Crossroad saying Setsuna F. Seiei is an unusual name.

ImpAtom posted:

BRING STABBITY, NOOOOOOOO

This is the last one I learned about that made me say “you gotta be loving kidding me.”

ImpAtom posted:

That said the ultimate Gundam name is and will remain Klimton Nicchini's father Zuchini Nicchini.

Jizil Jizin from an IBO manga is a very strong contender.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Four Vaginas and Patrick's Sore Colon.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
Meme Midgard. Cancer Kafka. Muron Muron.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Jam It All Hymen

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Elbow Smash was too powerful of a name even for Gundam.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Jim who wears Gingham fabrics.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Reading all these names like they’re from the Space Mutiny episode of MST3K.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Reading all these names like they’re from the Space Mutiny episode of MST3K.

I'm reading them more like ProZD's American Baseball Names:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oymWAeqv_-c

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Finally reading Origin. There's a lot to love but my favourite character tweak has to be Bright's constant nervous energy.

Being quietly giddy as he waits to ambush Char is :kiss: just a great beat.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
OK random thought but the Gundam F91 throws me a bit. Are we supposed to view the 2/3 vent grills as the "mouth" of Gundams or are they the "nose", since the F91 also has a mouth mouth.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You know, I really hope the next mainline Gundam isn't a super tank. I feel like between Phase Shift, GN Particles, The AGE System's magic bullshit, Nano-Laminate and the Aeriel's insane super barriers I just kind of want to see one that is more focused on raw dodging.

I know Gundams being super tanky is there from the start but I'd like to see a bit more of the "rocket tag" danger element.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Next main line Gundam should be Gun Tank

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

You know, I really hope the next mainline Gundam isn't a super tank. I feel like between Phase Shift, GN Particles, The AGE System's magic bullshit, Nano-Laminate and the Aeriel's insane super barriers I just kind of want to see one that is more focused on raw dodging.

I know Gundams being super tanky is there from the start but I'd like to see a bit more of the "rocket tag" danger element.

i hope the next gundam series starts off at like an armored trooper votoms level of state of tech because that one scene in 00 where the tierens are fighting the clunkers was sort of fun

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah I'd like to see a low-tech take on Gundam someday.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I feel like IBO at least started off like that, because you had a significant number of giant robots just clubbing each other like cavemen

But then nano-laminate armor came in and now we got nothing but dumb Strike Freedom v. Barbatos debates online

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Turn A is kinda of a low tech gundam

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/charlieINTEL/status/1785715612011909563?t=I5OGRHHkZuz-qK8MfU0pGA&s=19

Hey hold on

Hold on hey

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Arc Hammer posted:

Like Turn A, but they never find any working suits underground (and there's no moon invasion). Just have to recreate the technology with what they've got, as best they can.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

ImpAtom posted:

Wasn't the final fight just Suletta raw dodging

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
At this point I might take any non-imploding production. Though the post about whether the 00 movie is doing something appropriate for Gundam and having recently finished the newer-translated 80s SD stuff, I will still naively hope that they can explore some new possibilities too.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I think IBO came across a bit different there (then again, I like the show so I'm biased) in that everything was tanky. Random grunt suits could be repaired after taking blows that destroy asteroids, and the default for how people outside Gjallarhorn got mechs was "I found it just sitting around in a battlefield where it had been drifting for 200 years. Just needed someone to turn it off and on again, give it a new paint job."

There, the tankiness was a show-wide aesthetic, not just a way for the Gundam to be better than the grunts.

Meanwhile, the Gundam in Victory loses limbs like it's being paid for it. Interesting contrast when looking back.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

chiasaur11 posted:

Meanwhile, the Gundam in Victory loses limbs like it's being paid for it. Interesting contrast when looking back.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 06:53 on May 2, 2024

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they could have made another dozen gundams with all the resources usso used for weaponizing body parts. however, another dozen gundams wouldn't have had usso so it was probably worth the cost.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Doesn't Usso start taking that into account when he's fighting? Instead of dodging he just lets the attack hit because he knows a new leg is on the way?

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
Yes, and it's extremely cool. Like 80% of Victory is incredible, and the rest is a mix of wild misogyny and the densest political maneuvering relegated to the background

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

Giant wooden robots would be cool.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nuebot posted:

Giant wooden robots would be cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STbtnLwe4h8

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

See? Cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Azubah posted:

Doesn't Usso start taking that into account when he's fighting? Instead of dodging he just lets the attack hit because he knows a new leg is on the way?

I love that they call the leg bits the 'Boots'.