Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I don't hate it... yet. But I am sure you guys will get me there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Starting off your series with half of the earth dead is p grimdark.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i think the beginning of msg was far darker than anything that happened in 8th mst. jesus christ, the scene where fraw's family dies!

This really.

Rewatching MSG and its not like they just do disaster tourism all over but there's definitely plenty of offhand comments and short visuals of just wholly burned out / deserted cities and stuff. They could have punched that up harder, but the story was always driven by the immediate character dynamics imo.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Im still hype to watch some Zakus savage a feddie armored column in whatever this show ends up being.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Woulda been better if the box contained evidence that the feds knew about newtypes and genocided them or something like that.

That would have been more damaging and made the use of newtypes by the feds 80 years later even more disgusting to people in Unicorn once revealed.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

ninjewtsu posted:

but imagine the historical revisionism and fascist apologia internet arguments if that were the case

*looks around*

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

That literally goes against the entire point of the box, which is that it was something entirely neutral and it was up to the people who found it to determine the context and how to present it.

Yeah and most of the complaints here about Unicorn were that the story sucked.

Going the other route you can still leave it up to interpretation ie, the proto-federation was bad about newtypes but then ended up using them in the end and currently beginning to accept them. Zeon was more rooted around them being a thing, but made horrible decisions with them (Marida) etc so it would potentially be info that while likely to be destabilizing to the feds in some way, could also be used 80 years later towards something else.

I just think that it would work as a better story element than an edited declaration which was and still is seemingly non-binding.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

It's so transparently just fan service that I respect it.

Same

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Kanos posted:

What about the show's writing or story would have warranted this "vanta dark" ending? The show's entire tone throughout was a fairly varied mixture of good things happening and bad things happening, with the ending being tonally consistent with that. It's never a hopelessly bleak show.

Agreed

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Im glad Iok is dead

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Kanos posted:

Yeah, this is what makes Iok getting killed at the end not feel only like 100% fanservice bait to me. He established a very consistent pattern of absolutely moronic, nigh-suicidal decision making throughout the entire season and is repeatedly bailed out from suffering the consequences for these total fuckup blunders by the swift thinking and fast reactions of his subordinates and Julieta. Him doing the thing he's already done a lot one more time and nobody being in position to bail him out doesn't feel unearned.

Yeah exactly. There were no surprises as to how that was going to go honestly.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Arc Hammer posted:

Ten years ago would be debates about hunky violent orphans with everyone still mad about AGE and the only chat about Hathaway would be limited to a small room of fanatics like in Great Teacher Onizuka.

So this thread

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Onmi posted:

There are also parts that are part of Gundam that you maybe don't think about, like Minovsky Particles. Spreading Minovsky Particles really ups your units survivability, it lets you take engagements that would kill you outright. Positioning is way more important than you think. One of the keys of that is the North Australia territory battle. You really want to get the Zaku's flooding in, in a straight line, while catching them in effectively a net, using single stack Tin Cods as a screen. Learning to properly screen, to add survivability, these are all really important. You might think making 200 Gundams is a smart idea, but... no you really only want your Aces to have Ace machines. Then you want a ranged corp for amassing fire power, and a screen division.

Let's use base earth: Type-61's for the pilots, Fly Mantha (You want a mix, since the former is very tanky, but the latter is more maneuverable) as your 'Grunt' unit, and Tin Cods, later Saberfish, as your screen. Sure a single Tin Cod can't fight back, but if 9 Zaku are shooting one plane... well they aren't wiping out your army. You are going to make trades, and you need them to be in your favor.

Mid-game, yeah you can make Gundams and they're good when they have a pilot... but Ace units (A single model) are nowhere near as strong firepower wise as the Guncannon MP or even the base GM. The former is a great bombardment unit, the latter is great for filling in stacks, in fact you'll often put your Ace's Gundam behind 2 GM units (which are 3 models each) so they eat all the damage, and your Ace is still outputting huge bursts.

Sure I'm going to get shot back but those Powered GM's will be eating the enemy firepower, my GP-04 is going to be fine. Then, when you need to consolidate firepower, form your aces into a stack and have them supported by bombardment.

Aka Io Fleming and the kids

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

ARG

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Gripweed posted:

You have to decode clues on the website to find locations you have to go to in real life to fight someone to unlock the next clue.

Hahah perfect

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Gripweed posted:

Once again, a lot of people owe Gundam Seed an apology.

Ok fair

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Arc Hammer posted:

Just make a Hearts of Iron mod.

Do it do it

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Lazy Fair posted:

I finished re-watching the original 1979 Gundam a couple days ago. I remembered enjoying the show well enough the first time around, but thinking there was a lot stupid filler in the middle.

After re-watching it, my opinion of the show has skyrocketed. It starts out incredibly compelling from episode 1, and I was shocked to find on the re-watch every single episode advanced the plot and characters. Yeah there are a few bits here and there that are obviously a mandate to sell more stupid toys, but they're mostly just a single scene in an otherwise great episode. Now that I'm older a lot of the character conflicts make a lot more sense now, where as when I was younger they often seemed kind of stupid and annoying. Only real complaint is I didn't like Mirai suddenly falling for Lt. America, I actually completely forgot about that character existing lmao.

Even the old animation quality and relatively heavy use of stock footage didn't bother me much on the re-watch. The show is just fundamentally GOOD. Incredible story telling.

Hell yeah.

Reminds me i need to watch Doans Island again

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the thing you have to remember is that sleggar was a super hot chad.

He was more fun in Doan’s island: “you kids ever been court martialed?”

Fuckin killed me when he said it

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Banger opening for G Gundam

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

chrome line posted:

Having just watched G Gundam my take is it's a show I would really enjoy if the fights were good

Yeah :(

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Lmao

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

DamnGlitch posted:

The one gal that gets it in the shop at near the end of S2 was both telegraphed and shocking. I was genuinely surprised.

Lafter?

That one was brutal

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Synthbuttrange posted:

I'd give up Iok's death if it meant Lafter could live.

Tho iok getting squished was alright compensation to soothe the pain.

Yeah agreed on both

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Mr E posted:

I've been building gunpla for a bit and have watched WfM but otherwise haven't watched Gundam at all. Decided to start watching the original series last night, made it thru 5 episodes. The music is so 70s and also rules, and I'm enjoying the characters and plot so far. I think I'm hooked on the series already so I'll probably end up watching at least all the series at this point if not the movies/manga at some point too.

:toot:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Yup

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

Are you guys forgetting how cool the whole three way battle over Gryps was, and having Bright pull the trigger on the Titans? X probably has the worst one, totally forgettable

No, I haven’t forgotten how much that ruled

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Nuebot posted:

Gundam should do a series about aliens, by making it a regular rear end gundam series except it takes place on an alien planet, involving a schism between the population on the planet and the population now living on the colonies around their solar system.

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Gundam planetside would be the poo poo. Just set progressive maps across europe on one server and in space for another, could be rad