Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Gripweed posted:

I’ve been rewatching 0083 for the first time in over a decade, and drat I’d forgotten how much Kou sucks. I’d forgotten that he helps Layzner rebuild the MA after he found out it was for the Delaz fleet. Goddamn Goku giving Cell a Senzu Bean moment. By even beyond that, Kou being surprised to find out Layzner was a pilot really shows off just how genuinely stupid he is. Kou is visibly shocked when he’s told that the one-armed man of military bearing rebuilding a Mobile Armor in his garage was a pilot.

The entire middle slice of 0083 feels intentionally written to make the viewer think Kou is the biggest dumbass in the known universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Nuebot posted:

Is he not?

Up until the "I'm gonna deploy the GP-01 in space despite literally everyone including its designer telling me not to do it and offering me completely workable alternatives that would still allow me to fight" bit, Kou wasn't really portrayed as actively self-destructively stupid, just inexperienced and somewhat naive.

Gripweed posted:

No they were having... "flirty" back and forth about each of them coming up with their own adjustments to improve the GP01's maneuverability in space. When Kou decides he's going to take the GP01 out, she actually tries to give him a disc with her adjustments on it, but he knocks it out of her hand and uses his own.

Yeah, I'm sure the idea of that scene was to sell the idea that Kou was getting a big head because he had a few relatively successful engagements in the Gundam and wanted to cement himself as the Gundam pilot/expert, but they did it by having him completely disregard Nina's data and objections because surely the designer of the Gundam wouldn't know better than the guy who was piloting it, right?

Kanos fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 9, 2024

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Monsha is pretty much the root cause of all disciplinary problems on the Albion up until they go to space for the first time, and it's 100% Burning's fault for never doing anything about it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I've done it like five times on normal and whatever the difficulty one notch above normal is and I still think the EFSF start is a huge pain in the rear end that is honestly not very fun. Great campaign after the very start but the start is cursed.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The "we have mobile suits now" part of the OYW and the Delaz part are fun since you get to use the EFSF's deep reserve of pilots the whole time. The Axis part is rough at the start, but it's not too bad if you sandbag and fight defensively since you're not really fighting a timer anymore.

When EFSF fights the Titans after Axis it's a total pushover, but most campaigns end on a total pushover. Any player Titans campaign that sits around long enough to befriend Scirocco is going to be fighting Char's Neo Zeon with Xi Gundams, for example.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

They were niche enough that they don't even make them for Japanese audiences anymore, which is why everyone talking about it talks about a PSP game that released in 2008.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Warmachine posted:

I still want to see what a PC strategy game (RTS, 4X, Grand, or Turn Based Tactics) with a Gundam skin would do with an EN and JP localization. Mech games in general are niche. Strategy games are niche. But people still buy Paradox games, Civ games, hell they bought SRW30 and that's an 'SRPG' which is turn based tactics with more numbers.

I dunno, I'm probably coping.

SRW is a loooot more simplistic than Gihren's Ambition and a lot more flashy. There's definitely a market for 4X games and grand strategy games, I just am on a serious level of doubt that a franchise that failed to continue to find purchase in what should be the most fertile ground possible(selling what amounts to a OYW simulator to Japanese fans) would see much more success in a broader context.

Note that if they did it I'd buy it on day one, of course.

Nuebot posted:

And I want them to release it in English :colbert:

Well, if that's your sole requirement, good news! There's a translation patch for the game in question which has a bunch of the routes finished.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 12, 2024

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

Man I like the suit too but with those numbers it's gotta be busted as hell

The fun thing is that it's still maintaining this level of dominance after a nerf.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Caphi posted:

What the hell happened to the Nu 2 months ago?

The Hi-Nu was a complete dumpster fire for most of Overboost's existence. It got an absolutely massive buff/rework at the end of January that catapulted it from bottom of the dumpster to far and away the best suit in the entire game, easily displacing the then-current strongest suits. The recent dip in March was after it received a substantial nerf, but it's so powerful that even after the nerf it's the best suit in the game by a mile.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Yeah it probably doesn't work in Gundam...but OTOH can you imagine if first contact was aliens seeing Char venting about Lalah could of been his mom to Amuro? That would be a hell of a first contact

Edit: Well Aliens did actually work in Re:Rise but they actually put the work into make them work and it's more of a spin off than a proper Gundam (despite being the most Gundam of them)

I was reading this discussion and I'm glad someone mentioned that Gundam already did aliens effectively and it was called Re:Rise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Caros posted:

For all the bluster of 'the mobile suit doesn't determine the victor' Kira was consistently getting his poo poo kicked in by stronger mobile suits until he got the backpack that turns the Freedom into a walking superweapon.

This was also a thing in Destiny, where Kira briefly takes the Strike Rouge out for a spin against a bunch of bleeding edge mobile suits and gets absolutely rocked.