Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Lemon Curdistan posted:

There's no way to watch MSG79 that won't make it feel like it was animated on a shoestring budget in the late 70s. It somehow hasn't received a real remake. However:

If you're okay with the bad 70s animation, Bandai are literally releasing MSG79 on Bluray this year, so you can at least obtain the full show legally and in 1080p (for what little that last part is worth with bad 70s animation).

If you can find them, the show was also condensed into three films in 1981 which do a lot to fix the pacing and remove one of the most toyetic/super-robot-ish elements from the show (the G-Armor) in favour of something better (the core booster). I would argue these are worth watching more than MSG79 itself.

If you don't care about MSG79 itself and just want to know who Amuro and Sayla and Char and Lalah are, there's a currently ongoing manga reboot/retelling of MSG79 called Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin that is pretty good, although it diverges significantly from UC canon in quite a few places (sometimes for the better, sometimes not so much). There's also one (soon to be two) tie-in animated film that cover the prequel-to-the-One-Year-War part of The Origin, but I'd argue that that's one of the least good parts of it.

In what way is the Core Booster better than the G-Armor? It's probably the most boring plane-type thing from gundam except maybe the Skyfish or whatever that thing was called, and it can't even be converted back into the Core Fighter. The G-Armor has its faults, but it also enables my favorite thing from Gundam, Gundam + B-Parts. Honestly, I can see people picking on the G-Hammer and the Guntank in space, but the G-Armor never should have been removed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Srice posted:

The G-Armor is lame because even ignoring how dumb it is, it takes up a lot of screentime in the show that serves no purpose.

You can tell it was mandated because they have multiple episodes where they're testing out the G-Armor for no reason, with the same stock footage.

Or, you know, they didn't have a lot of budget and people were getting *really* tired of that one sequence where the Gundam combines in mid-air for no reason.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Kanos posted:

In SRW Alpha 2 and MX it was one of the strongest units in the game. It was also really good in Alpha 3, though it was competing with lots more crazy bullshit. It hasn't actually been in a SRW since Alpha 3 though, which released literally a decade ago.

It was in OE.

It's a goddamn shame that game was such a clusterfuck of mechanics because it really had a ton of good ideas, it's just that they were drowned in microtransaction bullshit.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Weird that Kycelia is helmet-off on top, when Hamon and Lalah are helmet-on.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Of all the episodes you could have picked, that's one of the ones that's most clearly not even remotely any kind of filler.

At least he didn't bring up the 'White Base needs salt' episode, because a ton of plot-related stuff happens in that one, too.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
I can't agree with that. When I watched it with a friend we referred to it as 'Budget Fighters' because of how little budget obviously went into the first half of the series, and too many fights in the second half devolved into 'throw away your weapons and just get into a punching fight with the enemy'.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Flippinlikebirds posted:

It's been a while since I watched it, but I thought they said it right. In Char's Counter Attack they definitely say it weird.

The proper way to say it is 'Tih-TANs', I remember in one of the SRW games some guy says it 'Tai-tans' and gets corrected. So I don't know which way you think is 'weird', but that's something to keep in mind.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Begemot posted:

They're saying it in English, not greek. It's tai-tan.

According to who? They're not referring to actual gigantic monsters, it's a name, they can have it pronounced however they want.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
It's kind of a shame you didn't do F91 before Victory, it's a very good lead-in to it.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Droyer posted:

The Crossbone Gundam manga is a sequel centered on a new conflict, although characters from F91 returned.

Also, the companion mangas (F90 and Silhouette F91) are both fantastic and both very worth reading. Def Stallion still beats out Bring Stabity as my favourite Gundam name.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

The latter two aren't even Gundams at all, though.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
"Wufei, you'd better throw that thing before you get shot!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

muike posted:

http://imgur.com/a/DKf8e

e: i still laugh at "i don't remember designing wendy"

Holy poo poo at "Too empowering for female viewers", holy poo poo at westerners being 'too simple-minded' to get Woolf/Wulf's name right, and holy poo poo at Sunrise giving pictures of Jewish celebrities to use as the basis for the villains. I know Japan is supposed to be really xenophobic, but I think this is the first time I've seen such blatant evidence of it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)