Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Newest volume of Gundam The Origin is so loving tense. A Baoa Qu is nuts...still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Everyone should stand up to the victory.:patriot:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Thank you.

Also the best Puru is the Puru that totally survived Unicorn and I will adamantly refuse to see events as they allegedly happened in the last movie.:colbert:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Marida would have been perfectly fine if you change her ending. Yeah, her backstory is pretty grimdarky, but I was willing to go along with it so long as there was a light at the end of the tunnel.

Instead Gundam Unicorn should have the subtitle "Life Hates Marida Cruz." I'm pretty sure I mentally checked out of the last film when she bit it. It was just too much.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It's one of the reasons why I'm not really as cool with Riddhe as others sometimes are. He was a frustrating character to follow, and even if that was the point I found no satisfaction in his character arc of "hurrrr durrrr protect the status quo oh wait I'm a cockbag." Even if it works as a character arc, it wasn't enjoyable to follow at all.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
^similarly, I really enjoyed the stupid twist of Banagher saving the day by essentially being a petulant child. "Even so" winning the fight is the stupidest loving thing, but I still laughed. Compare that to Nina Purpleton and her stupid twist. I didn't really laugh at that.

Unicorn's better than 0083, but not by a ton.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
If there is one thing I enjoy about new type bullshit, it is that you can think things at certain way but your spaceheart will push for alternatives. Riddhe's convinced Newtypes are bad while his heart wants to Newtype it up. Lalah sticks with Char despite Newtype loving Amuro.

It's dumb, cheesy and hokey, but I eat it up all the same.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

:thumbsup:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

ImpAtom posted:

X really has nothing sequel-like for Wing. The closest comparison is that it is a version of the OYW where everything went to (more) poo poo instead

Yeah, the only real "link" between Wing and X is that the character design is pretty damned similar. I imagine it's the same person, but I'm too lazy to check.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I am a big fan of roller/skating mechs. Tiny detail I really enjoyed about the Zone of the Enders games is how if you fly as low as you can on land you'll grind and throw sparks everywhere.

I think Geass had a lot of cool moments with their roller mechs. Kallen definitely had a badass moment or two in her final showdown with Suzaku.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Kanos posted:

I'm so glad that the prevailing opinion is now that ZZ is good because a couple years back the general opinion was that it was poo poo and I thought that was crazy and unjust. This isn't a "I liked ZZ before it was popular" thing, I'm legitimately really happy that other people like the show too because it's one of my favorite UC Gundam productions.

:yeah:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Amuro is a frightening motherfucker by the time of CCA. Taking out nameless mooks faster than anything in Wing, which is a ridiculous accomplishment.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Gyra_Solune posted:

today i learned: apparently in the dub of war in the pocket, bernie was voiced by david hayter

He was also Lupin in Castle of Cagliostro

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
She just had a glaring problem. Like drat, she has resting glare face.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

tsob posted:

Oh gently caress off. If you didn't want some kind of talk about passive aggression, then you shouldn't have brought it up over a two word phrase in the first place. Also Srice said literally that on this page.

someone could use the heart of space right about now

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It runs through the entire show to the point where honestly, the only reason I didn't catch on to it until Guin's confession at the end is because I didn't expect mainstream anime from 2000 to even mention the existence of gay people, let alone have a gay man as a major character. That's why I think dismissing it as "Tomino weird" is pretty silly, because it's rather blatant that Guin was intended to be gay and attracted to Loran from the start, and he is.

I didn't pick up on it because I assumed Guin was just another victim of Tomino dialogue. It's far more interesting to me that he was actually gay, since things make a lot more sense now, but I did not put it together on first viewing.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Raxivace posted:

Hmm maybe there are hints that I've missed then or dialogue that I interpreted incorrectly (The subs I had could have been bad too)- would be interesting for me to look at in a rewatch. I will say though that I do think a lot of it did just come off as "lol Tomino" to me.

Like even Guin forcing Loran to crossdress doesn't actually seem that unusual when it's coming from the guy that did those silly ZZ crossdressing episodes. I had just figured he did it to mess with him and be demeaning for the sake of it.

This guy and I see things the same way, I think. It becomes far too easy sometimes to handwave eccentric parts of Gundam shows as "lol Tomino." Sometimes you wind up missing stuff with that attitude though, I guess.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Ka0 posted:

Don't have a raging misogynist write the story would be a good start.

A deaf and blind person would have been able to sense the absolutely hatred/apathy towards women in this show. It was absolutely ridiculous. On the other hand, I do wonder sometimes if Captain Anus was an honest mistake.:allears:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Son Ryo posted:

According to who? They're not referring to actual gigantic monsters, it's a name, they can have it pronounced however they want.

You are a language terrorist.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Chronicle sucks and is dumb. The end.

I didn't feel that strongly one way or another about him until I got to Turn A. Seeing the magic of Harry Ord after wasting time with Chronicle really opens your eyes.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's pretty unfair to compare ANY char to Harry Ord. He's in a class of his own.

Maybe. But Chronicle still sucks.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Hayato almost made me feel bad in ZZ for Katz's death. Heartbreaking scene even if Katz was garbage.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

chiasaur11 posted:

Bright survived being in the main cast for Zeta, double Zeta, and Char's Counterattack.

The man is a loving cockroach.

His dignity, on the other hand, will die in a light breeze.

In the UC survival is everything. Judau knew the score and got the hell out of dodge.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I enjoyed the characters of G-Reco. For the most part people had a starting point of "okay" to "happy," so I didn't get the bipolar jerking around I felt Zeta dragged me through.

G-Reco isn't my favorite Gundam at all, but I still liked it. Honestly, I'm more impressed someone managed to get halfway through a series that they hated the cast of.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

AradoBalanga posted:

People who hate the Tallgeese? :shrug:

Ban them

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It's the little what if moments that make Gundam great

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Change thread title to "Gundam Thread 5: she had other things to do than go on a fart witch hunt"

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Reds posted:

G-Reco has the best particle effects I've seen in an anime.
https://jii.moe/EkToG2IOx.webm

I want a model of that loving monster engine suit.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

boom boom boom posted:

Super Fumitan

:captainpop:

:yeah:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Judau is actually cool because he is not interested in the slightest in fighting anybody. It's all about the money for him, and supporting his friends/family. Takes a while before things get personal for him.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Or, conversely: Full Frontal sucks balls because he's a poser baby rear end.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62UzLgdb1GQ

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Judau trying to sell the Zeta for scrap makes all the sense in the world.

Since it's, you know, a dumb Gundam for babies.:smug:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The way he says "in the name of justice...and peace," and the way it sounds like he's spitting as he says peace. I always loved that. This narrator knows the truth, and he ain't happy about it.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
:thumbsup:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
oohhboy has a great username

cause I say it everytime he posts

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Tomino is anything but infallible. I enjoyed G-Reco but even I'll admit it wasn't even close to his best work. I have serious problems with Zeta's characters, and while I enjoy ZZ immensely I can understand why it's not for everyone. I enjoyed Turn A a fuckton, but I do feel the show doesn't have quite the same impact if you haven't seen other shows in the UC. You can go without watching them, but Turn A's ending is more shocking to me after however many Gundam shows end on "Hooray we did it--oh wait nobody learned a goddamn thing."

Anywho, the only Gundam show that's above any sort of criticism is G Gundam.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

She's so cool.:swoon:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Harry Ord is the universe. And I love him for it.:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Droyer posted:

Mirai is a cool, good person

Agreed. Very few wives would (competently) pilot a battleship for you. Even less would volunteer for it.

Mirai is cool and probably the closest the UC comes to a saintly figure.