Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

TARDISman posted:

gently caress yeah new thread. Let's celebrate by all talking about how great G Gundam is.

I watched like 4 scattered episodes of G Gundam as a child and forgot about it until recently, and that's all my Gundam experience. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a robot show though.

Actually I also remember a chibi gundam show with a weird CG artstyle? No clue if that was a sugar induced fever dream from when I was a kid or what though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

If I'm not super concerned with learning about the backstories and character tropes of Gundam and mostly want spectacle and nice animation which series would I want to watch?

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

IBO has multiple episodes with no fights and just world development so I don't think that is a good choice.

Yeah I'm honestly not down on that kind of stuff but I was looking for some cool, mindless fun to see if I got hooked on the franchise. The only thing I know about Gundam is that the mechs look p awesome.

The first episode and a half of Build Fighters has been just what I was looking for, thanks everyone that recommended it.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Srice posted:

Since I'm phone posting I couldn't do it but imagine I had Sharkey's pre-ghost avatar underneath that line with a / to show it was being said...

Okay I'm imagining it real hard right now...

:lol:

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Gammatron 64 posted:

Then you have stuff like DBZ where more than just episodes blend together and stuff goes at a super glacial pace.

I'm a Gundam newbie, so I can't speak for the other series you mentioned but stuff like DBZ should probably get a pass in terms of pacing. The manga it was based off of was still running while the anime was being produced, leading to those long pauses in action.

Really, adapting any currently running series is a dumb idea unless you have a rock solid plan for some filler arcs or a good cut off point to end a season and wait for more material.

Episode 3 of Build Fighters continues to be fun btw, the setting allowing for continuous cool fights is a great idea.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

10 episodes of Build Fighters down and it's still :krad:

Fights own, explosions and lasers everywhere. I'm glad the mom is trying to set the kids up, she seems cool.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

What are the various continuities in the franchise right now? Droyer has those acronyms, but not a key for what they stand for.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Droyer posted:

timelines

Thanks! I was curious about how many timelines they had packed in there.

e: and lol at ep 12 of Build Fighters. I knew that Gundam models came in different scales but wasn't expecting them to acknowledge that in the show

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I'm about to finish Build Fighters (just got through ep 22) and I'm starting to think about the next Gundam to watch.

The action has been consistently cool, and I'm glad the tone never got dragged down into melodrama. I think the only time so far where things got super serious is when they were finding out what Aila's deal was, and that lasted all of an episode. Also happy that they don't really dwell on Reiji's mysterious origins/past stuff so far. Too many shows are happy to just tease it endlessly, and here it gets brought up like 3 times in 20 episodes.

I remember people talking about G. Reco. How does that do with keeping things lighthearted/ energetic?

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Droyer posted:

It's both very light-hearted and energetic, but it expects you to pay close attention.

I think I can deal with that

ImpAtom posted:

G-Reco is a very energetic and lighthearted show but it's also very very Tomino.

I do not know what being very very Tomino means

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Kanos posted:

Tomino doesn't make allowances for his audience's easy comprehension in terms of narrative. His style is very much based around giving the viewer a window into events that are happening in his world instead of specifically narrating a story, so there won't be big scrawls of "IN THE REGUILD CENTURY, MANKIND WAS NOW AT WAR...." or anything. Some people get very confused and put out because the show spoonfeeds you basically nothing and a lot of major plot details you need to pick up simply from character dialogue.

Yeah I kind of got this from the opening episode. Things just kind of happen and you're around to see it. It's weird not to have narrative dialogue or backstory dumps, but I think its cool to try it.

So did the capture of Friday girl happen a week prior to the meat of episode 1?

Also, the art style is really pretty, I'm really enjoying just watching everything in motion.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

loling at ep 2 of G. Reco

The comment about the Earth being covered in solar panels and then Bell's response being cut out was p nice

Although a dude just getting straight up vaporized was pretty unexpected coming off of feel good everything's okay Build Fighters :stare:

still super pretty though, and it's fun trying to just pick stuff up from context

E: also I added the show with the Dreads robot to my backlog, thanks for the recommendation everyone

Erg fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Nov 28, 2015

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

ep. 3 of G. Reco had much less stuff getting thrown at you, so it was way easier to follow. It'd be nice if they explained what the racial epithet or whatever Kuntala is.

No idea why Bell and the others are so relaxed about being taken into the enemy's territory, I guess that's why they kept mentioning that the country hasn't experience war in a while?

lol that all the suits have bathroom capabilities

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Droyer posted:

yeah, this is something a lot of people have trouble with. It's not just "in a while" though, they literally haven't been at war for centuries.

Dang, I missed the actual figure for how long. Okay that makes more sense

ep. 4 was also cool, I like the tropical/beachy vibe of the country they're in (all I can remember about the name is it's not Ameria or Goondala)

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

ep. 6 was cool, too bad about Dellensen, he seemed like a pretty good guy.

Glad that the kids are actually doing information gathering instead of treating this whole being captured thing as a field trip.

Also the cut ins are p cool and I like seeing them a lot.

e: This is an awesome song even if I've got no idea what they're singing about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74q5yvpZAos

Erg fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 4, 2015

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Just finished ep.8 and Mick Jack is pretty cool. I hope she stays around for a while.

Some of these names are just ridiculous though. Elf Bullock, Tricky Pack, Mick Jack. The line earlier in the show about Aida just making up her name was funny considering some of the real names in this.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

dogsicle posted:

Klim Nick's full name is Klimton Nicchini and his father is Zucchini Nicchini

oh my gosh that's amazing

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Ep. 9 down, Aida really needs to get her poo poo together. But at least she's aware of it.

This piecemealing of why Capital's been indoctrinated into ignoring the threat from space (whatever it is) is a fun game

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

What's the difference between a mobile suit and mobile armor?

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Ep. 13 finally puts some faces to the threat from space, which is nice. Aida might be bad at the whole fighting thing, but I do like that she just went "fuckit let's go to the moon"

Also evil commander's little scurry out when the negotiators arrived was pretty funny. I'm guessing he's a deserter from the moon or something?

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I really liked Build Fighters as an intro to the series.

And G. Reco is cool and extremely pretty. Like woah

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I'm in the middle of episode 15 of G. Reco and I'm not sure if the subs are mistaken. It's saying that the Dorrette family wanted to teach Earth how to make photon batteries, while the Rayhuntons did not.

But then it doesn't make sense to me why Dorrette is intercepting the Earth's space fleet, and Rayhunton survivors are hiding on Earth.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I just finished ep 24 of G. Reco. What did Manny bringing back the G. Rach(?) have to do with them finding the Yggdrasil? They made it sound like the two were connected.

Also, they killed off 5 characters in 2 eps it's crazy

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I did it I finished G. Reco

Tell me about all the subtle poo poo I probably missed.

I was just super happy that Mick Jack survived, I was worried that all the supporting characters not on the Megafauna's team would get destroyed in the finale.

E: I guess I should share some thoughts on the ending. I thought it made sense that everyone just dropped fighting once the commanders were killed. Most of the ones left didn't have a huge stake for glory or anything like that.

I thought it was weird they never said if the people from Towasunga were going to continue trying to take the earth back. Their 3 commanders getting blown the gently caress up dissuaded them I guess.

I was confused by the Venus Globe G-IT group. They all seemed hyper ready for some bloodshed, but the remaining girl was relieved when Bellri spared her and called a ceasefire. I was honestly expecting her to try a sneak attack.

Happy with the ending though. Despite fighting each other, everyone seemed pretty amicable in the epilogue scenes. Bellri ditching Noredo seemed pretty cold, but he never even hinted at reciprocating her feelings sooooo oh well.

Show owned and was super pretty, there's so many small details in the animation that I loved. Evil rear end in a top hat from space's last minute death was p funny too.

Erg fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 23, 2015

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Droyer posted:

I don't think Aida is a joke

Aida was disappointing because I kept expecting her to have a big moment in battle

but her strength is more in leading and being the lynchpin for the megafauna so it's cool

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

TheManSeries posted:

Update: I may drop this show 3 episodes away from finishing. Everything post episode 18 has just been a jarring drop in quality. The pacing is so hosed and it just killed any interest I had in finishing.

That's too bad. I wouldn't say there's some fantastic change that will win you back, but it's enjoyable for sure.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Your way works too posted:

I'm moving through IBO real slow. Does this actually happen or is it a wild overreaction to a love triangle?

There is a harem, and it's shown as being more functional then most of the other groups that are presented within the show

There's plenty of relationships that are shown to hosed up, like Mika and Orga's extreme codependency, but are also less destructive then what they could be dealing with otherwise (being used as an expendable resource/slaves)

e: like the harem's weird and probably wouldn't work in real life but in the show there's nothing really sketchy about it

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I like G-Reco but will admit part of that was because of how pretty I thought it was

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

My greatest wish for G. Reco's legacy is that someone hires the art director for more work in the vein of the show because it's really loving nice to look at

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Talking about designs, I can't think of anything I liked that came from G-Reco. Thankfully though Thunderbolt is getting something beautiful. :swoon:

Though, can we get an anime about the Titans Test Team just taking a new garish prototype out every week and having Seinfeld-like on-base antics? I'd be down for 26 episodes of test pilots and Titans engineers clashing about the newest crazy prototype they've got to build and test.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Build Fighters is on YouTube in America, and is good for big robot fight as small robots

Reconguista is good, inb4 ohhhhboy

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

oohhboy posted:

We have that, so I am a Newtype too?

A Newtype of idiot

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I have zero opinion on this topic, I just wanted to use the wordplay

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

"Daddy" is not something that a grown man calls another grown man, Droyer.

Also generally, no, the dialogue is just super awkwardly worded.

it is, but it has certain implications :v:

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

IBO's ending made me laugh because that one comic was 100% right

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Also part of the in universe explanation was that they got to use the AV system so they had this huge leap in being able to control their gundams compared the regular controls their enemies were using

I mean yeah they were stupid, but I thought that was the point? They'd been at the top for so long, they'd forgotten what a real fight was

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

lol

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

EthanSteele posted:

Another example is from Reconguista where the guy (is it Cumpa?) is sidling out of shot behind the space pope when something gets announced. It's a thing that gets brought up a lot as a "wow I didn't notice that first time I watched" moment.

still makes me laugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I'm glad you are watching a more good Gundam before going to a more bad one