Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

IBO thread had me thinking, and the fact that Bring Stabity never piloted a knockoff Exia feels like a missed opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I actually heard about Gundam in like '92 and I was in elementary school, and I can't for the life of me figure out how or why.

Maybe it was mentioned off-hand in a videogame magazine back when some of those rags also talked about Japanese stuff every so often, because back then that was basically where the (surviving) videogame industry was at.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Nothing wrong with watching the currently-airing show either.

It even paces itself for you so you don't have to binge and burn out.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kanos posted:

I'm so glad that the prevailing opinion is now that ZZ is good because a couple years back the general opinion was that it was poo poo and I thought that was crazy and unjust. This isn't a "I liked ZZ before it was popular" thing, I'm legitimately really happy that other people like the show too because it's one of my favorite UC Gundam productions.

I get the feeling that as more people who aren't really hardcore UC fans started giving it a shot, the average opinion started to improve simply by virtue of having more voices out there. ZZ is super fun, if kinda nuts, though the manic energy starts to die down as things get serious again.

Also I have to wonder if it wasn't much more popular in Japan and elsewhere than it was among Westerners. I have one Taiwanese friend who used to make "Anime Ja Nai" references all the time long before I knew what the gently caress ZZ even was.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kanos posted:

The simple fact that he managed to fight Amuro so many times while managing to not die says a fair bit about how good he is, given the relative track record of, you know, every other person in the OYW who ran up against the RX-78. Similarly his fight with Haman is impressive because the Hyaku Shiki was an outdated piece of poo poo at the very outset of Zeta, nevermind matched up against a bleeding edge Newtype mobile suit.

Char might not be all he's cracked up to be in terms of sheer piloting skill compared to a more holistic view of his combat abilities (read: being an stone cold pragmatic mofo), but the fact that he survived so long in the Hyaku Shiki means he absolutely deserves to be considered one of the top aces of his time.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Mobile Armors are monsters of the week.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Don't forget! He's also a hack.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Bright "The Man Who Could Not Ride The Rainbow" Noa is not ridic

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

People aren't joking when they say the franchise keeps cribbing from itself.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Icelina's bangs remind me of Audrey now.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Reds posted:

Zeon kinda lost the whole morally superior ideals thing when they killed billions of spacenoids for their noble cause. I mean, nobody even likes Zeon in 0079, whenever we see other colonists they aren't huge fans of Zeon. Then there's stuff like Zeon booting people out of an entire colony in order to hollow it out and make a superweapon out of it on top of the wanton slaughter stuff.

The fact that there's honest-to-goodness Zeon apologists out there baffles me.

They're not even trollishly exultant in crazy bullshit atrocities and playing the heel while knowing drat well they're rooting for a faction of literal space hitlers, they're fans who really have bought into the revisionist "tragic Zeon" narrative and find the Federation somehow more reprehensible. While moral ambiguity makes for potentially more interesting and nuanced stories, Zeon's about as nuanced as destroying a city by dropping another city on top of it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I don't even have to make an analogy, I can just describe their literal actions to get the point across.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

G-reco couldn't grip me but I never felt the urge to post about how bad it is and how people misled me by saying how much they liked it.

There's a lot of charm throughout the work and if it appeals to you, I imagine you'll be more willing to engage with it and pay attention to all the out-of-focus stuff that actually turns out to be important and feel rewarded for paying attention, further justifying that engagement. I didn't stick around but I could see how it would manage to build a cult following in spite of itself.

Then again, I'm also the kind of guy who actually really liked all the silly sitcom nonsense in the first half of ZZ so I can honestly say that charm and personality goes a long way. The fact that in the West, it was derided for years as some sort of black sheep of the franchise is just baffling to me. But I think G Gundam going on Toonami did a lot to help fix that, mostly by introducing a bunch of new blood to the English-speaking fanbase that wasn't treating Gundam like a very serious and important milsci landmark.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Srice posted:

I feel that ZZ being derided for so long for so many years ultimately helped it out a little, since when it became more widely available people would still check it out expecting the worst and instead they got a pleasant surprise.

And for another example, Turn A was largely ignored for such a long time but now it's genuinely considered a classic.

Despite the bungled English release of G-Reco I think it has a decent shot at undergoing a similar change in attitudes over the years. Time helps out with a lot of things.

I feel like Moon Moon was the acorn of an idea that grew into the tree that would become Turn A Gundam so I'm glad the weirdness in ZZ exists.

It'll be interesting to see how opinions of G-Reco shake out over the years. Didn't it have a disproportionately large amount of fans among the older female demographic when it aired?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

oohhboy posted:

Alright first episode.

Our protagonist almost dies twice and is rescued twice inside of an hour. He is quite the butt monkey and so far has displayed no skills. No Gundam or MS to be found. The technology is very remenicant of Miyazaki at times with the absurd blimp plane boat. 4 People seen nude so far. In a welcome change of pace, I don't wish any sort of death on the cast, in fact I wish them well. Contains people, something G-reco failed to have for 26 episodes.

You may want to purge thoughts of g-reco from your mind and just enjoy the adventure, you'll be doing yourself a favor by not going into a show with pre-loaded resentment.

For what it's worth, I didn't recommend watching g-reco (because it didn't seem like the things that people liked about it was stuff that you enjoyed) but I absolutely recommended Turn A.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I forgot the G-Bull even exists.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I can't say I'm a fan of the show, but I thought G-reco's mobile suits were all imaginative and managed to give the series a solid visual identity in a way I hadn't really seen since Syd Mead's work on Turn A. I think the G-Self looks goofy and a little too "cute" for my tastes but you can't say it's not extremely appropriate for an overprivileged-yet-well-meaning doofus like Bellri.

The non-mass produced mobile suits in G-reco seem to be designed as visual extensions of their pilots in a bit of a super robot way, which I think is neat.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Sorry to have offended your delicate sensibilities? If you're gonna go and say that every other gundam is terrible, I'll just say that G-Self might just be one of the worst mecha designs I've ever seen. Maybe for the next series we can get Moriki to design something awesome and spikey.

You know, I often see you scooting into discussions with all the grace and subtlety of an elephant that's eaten a bowl of habaneros. And when someone disagrees with you, you get a bit petulant.

I think on an artistic level I think Thunderbolt's designs are kind of boring and I feel that the archetypical Gundam aesthetic has been on a bit of a two-steps-forward, two-equidistant-steps-back holding pattern since Zeta gave us the Gundam Mk2. The trend towards spikiness has led to a lot of samey silhouettes and muddled designs, to the point where something like the detail-busy yet classically refined Unicorn looks positively elegant.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Also I understand why the Thunderbolt designs are what they are, it's just that the "heavy anti-debris armor" aesthetic just isn't working for me.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Dangerous Person posted:

I really like G Gundam but I've never seen any of his other work. Give me some recommendations.

Giant Robo

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Like if dumb sitcom antics in space isn't working for you, then I don't think seeing those idiot kids try to handle heavy poo poo is going to entertain you much.

I fuckin loved dumb sitcom antics in space

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Everybody hates Beecha.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

I think it's pretty neat to see that he has actively gotten burned out and stopped giving any fucks

By ZZ he just completely gives up and it's kind of funny in a sad way. Keep on not ridin' that rainbow.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Also gave this one some thought, because oh my god am I really making another effort post about robots

yes, yes I am

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Sorry, but I just think it's a little tiring to hear curdistan jump in every time about how every gundam design is poo poo and how [suit] is so "elegant and simple". It just seems like another way of saying boring, and needlessly inflammatory for a thread about said gundams.

I don't even know where this spikiness = samey thing came from. To go with the Moriki example from earlier, comparing a suit like Zeorymer to Xardion or Penelope, you get a drastically different silhouette in each, and most importantly, they're interesting. Having detail layered under detail so a different angle shows off stuff that was previously hidden is so much more engaging to look at and notice stuff you didn't see before.

Unfortunately, the downside to that is there's no way it can possibly be animated, at least not until 3D modelling takes another dozen leaps forward or so in ease of use and the ability to blend into a show. Even in the 90's animation budget glut, a show like Silent Mobius couldn't handle animating Moriki's stuff, and those were some of the more organic designs he's done.

I'm pretty sure I'm the one who tends to describe some of the simpler suits as "elegant" in the Gundam threads. Usually because I'm talking about either the Unicorn or the Turn A, and that's because they are. I will

I guess every thread has its old beefs, but "I don't really like how Gundams look" isn't exactly fighting words even in a Gundam thread. There's not a lot of games in town if you want giant robot action and I personally am kind of lukewarm on the whole hero Gundam aesthetic. It's why I prefer either the archetypical modern Gundam, the Mk2, simple-silhouette but high detail suits like the Unicorn, or coherent yet distinct like the Turn A. I've always been a fan of grunt suits more, some more than others, as that's usually where an artist gets to show off their real design chops. Grunts usually have to be more restrained and less ostentatious than Gundams or MAs as a matter of course, but they're free from the design guidelines that would limit it to being recognizably a "Gundam."

Now, there's no accounting for personal taste. Like, you don't like any of the suits in G-reco while I quite like the MSes in that show quite a lot. (The Grimoire especially was an instant winner, and it's almost a shame it was made for a show that wound up being so divisive.) You're a fan of Yasuhiro Moriki while I think his stuff's hit or miss. I respect the Zeorymer, it's relatively disciplined compared to the other examples you gave and it's got clear through-lines to guide the eye toward the spikes while being recognizably Eighties As gently caress in a good way. It's got a cleaner silhouette and the detailing is broad and bombastic, in an edgy super robot sort of way (and there's nothing necessarily wrong with a bit of edginess here and there). The Xardion on the other hand has so much detail but so little direction to guide it that it looks like a jumbled mess, so I wouldn't call it interesting except in a morbid sense. And don't be offended by me saying this because it's just my personal take, but to me the Penelope Gundam looks almost embarrassed to be a Gundam, as it clearly would prefer to be a dragon spaceship. Not mentioned but worth discussing is the Xi. Which honestly does look a lot like the Xardion to the point that I'm guessing it's intentional.

Now the Woundwort was by another artist entirely but the base suit also looks like something that's almost afraid to be a Gundam, as though Fujioka Kenki wishes he didn't have to pay lip service to Gundam-type features in what's otherwise a sleek and unique core design. The variant kits are also of the "I'd rather be a spaceship" school of design but they all look like cool, high-detail spaceships without being too busy, even if they all look better in their MA forms. Except for the one with a big booster unit and way too many fins, that's just silly. Nevermind that all of the Advance of Zeta suits look hilariously out-of-place, which is par for the course in "let's keep rehashing early UC" sidestories.

Obviously, spikiness isn't boring as an intrinsic quality per se, but spikiness as a source of complaints with regards to Gundams is easy enough to explain. Because it's actually about backpacks. Backpacks with fins, verniers, guns, etc. And all of the model kits and kitbashes that just take that aesthetic and run with it right off a cliff. I'm actually pleased that there's so many people who are as unimpressed with the spiky backpack look as I am, because after seeing a couple dozen of those trotted out I've grown largely numb to their appeal. That is to say, I used to be impressed by them as much as some people still are. I was younger then, and oversaturation hadn't kicked in. The backlash against this school of design isn't a universal thing, obviously, but it's a change in the conversation. And there's no helping if this means there's more people who openly dislike an aesthetic you do like, but if you're getting frustrated or feeling inflamed by it then you might want to step back and just agree to disagree.

Otherwise you might decide to start poo poo for... reasons I guess. Like I've seen you post around and I get the feeling you feel poo poo really passionately. To the point where you can't empathize with people who might not be as enthusiastic as you are about certain things, and just assuming they're "fronting" or just being aloof hipsters as opposed to, simply, people who just aren't as enthusiastic as you. Like I get it, you're energetic, enthusiastic, and get hype about stuff you enjoy. I get that.

You just don't have to take it personally when somebody else isn't.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I will be extremely disappointed if anybody uses BattleTech as a mark against me and my rights to have an opinion on the aesthetics of pretend robots.

Because by god I know my lovely-rear end garbage robos.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I'll forgive your lovely rear end garbage robos if you'll forgive my lovely-rear end garbage robos. :shobon:

Speaking of designers though, I kind of wonder what would happen if they gave Kawamori the greenlight on doing Gundam again, preferably for a full series. :allears:

Agreed!

And considering the first Gundam models I ever wanted were the GP01 and GP02, I think what would happen would be magical.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ka0 posted:

Wait, the Unicorn? Simple??

I was mostly talking about the silhouette.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That's what makes it amazing.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

tsob posted:

I've never heard of a male Camille (though I do know Kamille is made up), but I'll take your word for it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camille_Desmoulins

Though I only know about him because Kate Beaton drew some comics about Georges Danton.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Jimmays

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

One, Sekai needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine. Two,

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Sparkle Japanman is a pretty great reading though

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

dude even had visible newtype flashes

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

i'm pretty sure the director admitted outright that mwu and rau and some others were newtypes

because gundam seed is as beholden to gundam baggage as anything else in the franchise

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

oohhboy posted:

We obviously have a different definition of "Newtype" so push off. Newtype for me is the voodoo BS they pull in Zeta, ZZ, Unicorn, CCA, last moments of MSG(It was such a small plot point I didn't care).

I didn't see the Tomino Gundams outside of Victory until late last year. Victory was so WTF I rolled with it. It put me off Gundam for quite a while from how absurd it was.

Just because you've confused the definition of a term in the franchise with the melodramatic fluff it's associated with doesn't mean that people are wrong because they are talking about the term as defined. A number of characters in SEED are shown to have Newtype powers and the audience is given clear indication when these powers are going off, though the creators correctly assumed that the only people who catch the cues are the sort of nerds who would even care.

So inferring based on this, and previous comments, I can assume that what you meant to say before you doubled down on your argument, and people reacted accordingly, was:

oohhboy posted:

Thank you for the lack of Newtype melodrama, that poo poo is stupid.

Because it's true. Most of the melodrama in SEED comes free range without needing the space psychic additives.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Lemon-Lime posted:

The absence or presence of psychic powers have absolutely nothing to do with where a show falls on the real/super robot spectrum.

And this is illustrated most clearly by the Gundam that most definitively rejects the idea of newtypes outright, which also happens to be the one with literal kungfu robots and a super move powered by love.

I mean Domon and Rain's relationship was very deliberately written as a counterpoint to the lovely forced teen drama that newtype connections inflicted on the audience.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I've never actually seen VOTOMS, just Armor Hunter Mellowlink.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

muike posted:

Compared to the majority of VOTOMs stuff that isn't the original VOTOMs, it's pretty alright.

To be fair you don't get much more real than a guy who doesn't even have his own robot to fight other robots with, just his wits, traps, and a bunch of outdated anti-(robot)tank gear.

I'd probably have watched VOTOMs proper by now if I didn't see some of the military uniforms and immediately think "spaceballs"

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

junopsis posted:

all I can think of is
MIAKA!
TAMAHOME!
MIAKA!

:drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

wing is the sort of thing you have to be drunk to enjoy so find a drinking game to go along with it