Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Nessus posted:

The analysis that came to me when I saw Unicorn, which seemed to get some assent from my friend group, is that it was an awkwardly and ambiguously phrased thing along the lines of "if humans start to speciate due to space colonization impacts, the Earth Federation shall strive to include the new human specieseses as well." Sort of a pre-emptive anti-racist statement, and given that this was a hypothetical to them at the time (if a plausible one to consider) it makes sense that it's kind of wishy-washy.

You could of course argue whether Newtypes are in fact a 'new type of human' in the sense that some kind of Homo sapiens spaceman subspecies adapted to life in microgravity might be, if they're just ordinary humans on the far end of a bell curve for a particular set of talents that were particularly important for piloting Mobile Suits, or if it's entirely cultural vs. genetic.

I feel like it's closer to accounting for Belters in The Expanse or Voidborn in 40k than Newtypes, seeing as Newtypes can arise anywhere, technically speaking, and the space adaptation in question is a degree of telepathy? It's not like they're more radiation resistant (thus requiring less hab shielding to avoid cancer) or have a different sense of balance making microgravity more natural to them.

It's part of where the story beat falls apart because as soon as you know what is said, you can start perforating the clause with reasons why the Federation doesn't have to care, up to and including that 'spacenoids' do not seem to have any characteristic differences from earthborn humans that aren't material class related. Some kid born on Side 3 doesn't need to take stimulants to walk on Earth like a Martian does in the Expanse. You can't torture someone from Jupiter by just suspending them against a wall at 1G.

ninjewtsu posted:

but imagine the historical revisionism and fascist apologia internet arguments if that were the case

Too soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Spelling Mitsake posted:

The best part of Unicorn is episode 4 when they animate a bunch of old suit and MSVs and stuff. I barely even remember the plot.

Unicorn 4, keeping in mind the less than sum rule, is one of the bangers. We get the walking war museum fight, ruminating about the UC as a whole, Banana beating the poo poo out of Zinnerman while everyone watches with hands in their pockets. It's probably high-point of the OVA, even including that it's the source of the Nanjing analogy.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Haman responds with unconcealed disgust at the notion of being fixed.

Judau, somewhere on Jupiter, sneezes.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Haman's whole thing is that she simultaneously loves and hates the idea of someone swooping in to fix her. God only knows what chaos would ensue if she met Suletta.

Oddly, I feel like if she met Mashymyre, they'd rapidly become best friends and extremely supportive of each other's romantic pursuits.

I must need to rewatch ZZ because my recollection was that the first time they met, it was the most formative moment in Mashymyre's life, while for Haman it was Tuesday. The second time they met, Mashymyre got cyber-newtyped.

Am I remembering wrong?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

chrome line posted:

Yeah but I think they were talking about Mashymere and Suletta meeting

God drat it. :doh:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Question: do funnels work in atmosphere or are they only for space-use? I'm drawing a blank on examples and I'm not sure if the hovering beam grid things that the Shamblo deploys in Unicorn count as funnels or not.

Kshatryia uses them inside the colony in Unicorn as well, which WOULD provoke questions about atmosphere vs. gravity, buuuuuuuuuut they're shown very clearly station keeping just fine along the floor of the colony cylinder so.... :shrug:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

tsob posted:

It didn't go off perfectly either, since the entire point was to have a huge war and there was a single battle that mostly involved unmanned mobile suits fighting 5 teenagers with attitude in the void of space that most people didn't even really know about because it was so far away. The Earth Alliance did send some troops under Treize, but it wasn't exactly a huge battle regardless and even then, Treize also wanted to have a personal duel with Zechs where he would presumably die, and Zechs just ignored him. Which is why he commit suicide by his second choice, Wufei; a truly ignoble fate for anyone.

This rings to me the same problems I have with Zeta and ZZ. The fluff and sometimes the narrative indicates a wider conflict is going on, but we're never really SHOWN this. Compare with 0079 where there are cuts throughout to what other Earth Federation armies are up to, like Odessa, the launch from Jaburo, all of Solomon and A Baoa Qu. Even those being the only ones I really remember, they give a sense of scale to the conflict by showing what anyone other than White Base and Char are up to.

Anyway, it seems the IBO stuff has been mostly litigated out, but I do wanna take one final swipe.

Onmi posted:

Yeah, it's sad. I'm not arguing the show has a happy ending. I'm arguing it has a bittersweet ending or a sad ending with some level of hope or light. I wanted a harrowing, soul-crushing, miserable ending where there was no hope or any light, or any sweetness to the bitterness. I wanted ash in my mouth. I wanted a bleak darkness of which there was no escape, the vanta dark ending.

Like the argument I am making, and my point, is absolutely not "This is a happy ending" it's no... it's a sad, dark ending... and it should have been even worse IMO.

Also, Iok dying the way he did? Deserved, makes sense, and fits the character. But also absolutely served up for the viewer for some catharsis.

I get that this was "your poo poo take" but it feels so wildly out of step with the rest of the show and the thesis it was building toward that I really need to check if this was just some little shudder from your lizard brain or something else.

I don't see what this ending would improve in the context of the rest of the story. After Calamity is a hosed up world, but it's not a Warhammer 40k-like world where there's absolutely no hope of anything ever being better for a substantial period of time. Things can get better, through lots of work and more than a little blood. The political apparatus has been calcified for a long rear end time, and anything outside the imperial core is a hosed up place to be, but people get by and still have relatively normal lives if you're not one of the child soldiers or human debris.

IBO's thesis is that things can be better, but hubris and greed will get you killed. A grimdark ending tosses all of that out the window and changes the thesis to "Why bother trying? You'll die, and it'll hurt the whole time you are dying. Suffer in silence and be satisfied with your lot in life."

edit: I feel like I should shout out both Tyranny and WH40k Rogue Trader here because they both end on relatively high notes compared to the expectations set by their settings. (Tyranny with you as Archon of Spires, holding powers similar to Kyros, and having potentially given Kyros a bloody nose politically in the Rebellion ending, and Rogue Trader with you having a pet C'tan Abomidable Intelligence that is loyal to you in a sector of space that the Imperium cannot immediately roll into and poo poo on.) At the same time, in both you're waiting for the other shoe to drop, since with Tyranny the narrative very clearly establishes that Kyros is too clever by a half and may very well have let you win to set you up as controlled opposition so they can better control the political factions in their empire, and everyone KNOWS how anything in 40k shakes out unless the current Eye of Terror situation actually is the end times in which case it will simply be WORSE.

My point is that if you wanted to make IBO grimdark, adding extra murder and gore to the ending isn't the way to do it. Instead, imply that the achievement is fleeting and that the status quo will soon reassert itself. Maybe not in your lifetime, but it's probably going to suck for your grandkids.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 4, 2024

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I still dream of the day a Gihren's Greed game gets an NA/SEA English localization. Or a western developer gets a license to make grand strategy Gundam.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Hellioning posted:

I enjoy how Heero has a tiny card.

Arc Hammer posted:

He's holding onto it until the most dramatic moment to tear it up and threaten Ralena.

I'm disappointed it isn't already ripped.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

War stress.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

If I go to see Seed Freedom, how high should I get before I go?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kanos posted:

They were niche enough that they don't even make them for Japanese audiences anymore, which is why everyone talking about it talks about a PSP game that released in 2008.

I still want to see what a PC strategy game (RTS, 4X, Grand, or Turn Based Tactics) with a Gundam skin would do with an EN and JP localization. Mech games in general are niche. Strategy games are niche. But people still buy Paradox games, Civ games, hell they bought SRW30 and that's an 'SRPG' which is turn based tactics with more numbers.

I dunno, I'm probably coping.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kanos posted:

SRW is a loooot more simplistic than Gihren's Ambition and a lot more flashy. There's definitely a market for 4X games and grand strategy games, I just am on a serious level of doubt that a franchise that failed to continue to find purchase in what should be the most fertile ground possible(selling what amounts to a OYW simulator to Japanese fans) would see much more success in a broader context.

Note that if they did it I'd buy it on day one, of course.

Well, if that's your sole requirement, good news! There's a translation patch for the game in question which has a bunch of the routes finished.

That's part of where I question the decision. For some reason I have it in my brain that 4X and grand strategy don't have the same market appeal in Japan as they do in the west. Cursory searching suggests my stereotype might be right; the statistics I found don't even have anything I recognize as 'strategy' in the top ten. (I saw something called 'command RPG' in one list which isn't even a real genre but I could see applying to what we call SRPG.)

So calling it the 'most fertile ground possible' feels wrong--throwing a super popular franchise on one of the least popular genres domestically should probably come out in the wash. Which is why usually when I get on this "make Gihren's Greed but English" kick I'm usually explicit about 'license Paradox, Firaxis, or Amplitude to make a Gundam game' and want it marketed in the west primarily. I suspect it would do better in foreign markets compared to domestic ones on genre alone.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 13, 2024

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I think the biggest damper on my enthusiasm is not having a clear schedule for when a given project is coming. The thing I'm most excited about right now is Hathaway 2, and the release for that is ???. Unicorn 2 has been teased for over 5 years now right? Where is it?

I find it hard to look forward to something that might be 6 months or 6 years away from seeing daylight.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

TheMightyBoops posted:

We also got robbed of the Impulse launching via the Core Splendor imo.

One of the few points I'll give Destiny was finding a problem for the transformation system to solve. "Here's an Ace Combat style trench run and the only thing that will fit is your disassembled mobile suit in flyer mode." Yeah, narratively it's contrived, but it is just organic enough to justify a toyetic feature having a practical application.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly 'breaking into esports' is kind of a fool's game at the moment. The market has kind of crashed on most of it and what is left is basically desperately fighting for a relatively small share of audience.

Also the games that made it big in esports weren't designed from the ground-up for esports. If there was a specific esports focus added to the development and balance work, that came after the community identified the game's potential.

So Bandai should focus on making a good game first.