Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I was always impressed with how rad Marbet got to be despite being saddled with the (vast amount of) baggage associated with being Tomino's female exemplar in Victory. I mean, she keeps getting sidelined by increasingly weird poo poo and subjected to increasingly bizarre subplots and then just shrugs it off and goes back to being (at least) the third-best pilot in the show and kicking ungodly amounts of rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

It depends on the show but the lady audience for Gundam is not insignificant. Classic, Wing and SEED all pretty much thrive on it and 00 was a pretty bald-faced attempted to cater to the same demographic who made SEED popular.

And IBO definitely has the ladies in mind.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Logicblade posted:

eh, they had like 50 years to procreate and give rise to more absolute psychopaths. I cleared the clip show recap episode. Looks like we have something to look forward too, since the Zanscare Queen has finally made an appearance. She seems nice, so I bet her bald advisor is basically the worst parts of Rau Le Crueset, Gihren Zabi and Paptimus Scirocco multiplied by three, right?

Also want to say I really liked the space dust episode, it may have been filler, but I always enjoyed the "yes, space is a terrifying place, and you can die at any time" message in it.

Ayup, Fonse Kagatie is one of the stronger candidates for 'evilest fucker in Gundam'. Well, of course he is - this show is Tomino going 'gently caress it' and throwing restraint to the wind with the UC saga's themes, and Fonse is an ancient, crippled old man who ruthlessly exploits and discards the younger generation. He's basically the furthest end-point of 'adults are the enemy'.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Droyer posted:

Please do not talk about upcoming plot points when you know someone else is going through a show for the first time.

That's not a spoiler, really. Everything I've said should be broadly apparent from what he's seen so far of the Zanscare Empire, and the show doesn't really bother hiding that Fonse is in charge. I mean, I guess you could argue that 'no, there is no twist, things are as they seem' is a spoiler, but it's about as mild as they come.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Luin's stag night with Klim and the boys must have been one hell of a thing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

Lupe is part of Tomino's weird women issues he was airing out with Victory, specifically the belief that the most sacred and important duty a woman can ever accomplish is giving birth to and nuturing new life. Lupe wants Usso to be a sort of adoptive son for her since she never had a child.

(The Shrike Team are basically an entire group of surrogate moms for Usso that exist to die protecting and helping him, to add to the show airing out this belief)

Nah, Lupe's pretty explicit about wanting to gently caress him so he can give her a baby. Lady is messed up (and astonishingly, not a solid candidate for 'most screwed-up woman in the show'). Basically, her role seems to be 'women are extra-valuable as creators of life... but not like that. Dear god, never like that'.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Srice posted:

I like Puru.

Ah, but which Puru?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Monaghan posted:

Johhny's stupidly high killcount will never fail to annoy me.

Not me. Guy went after Balls, not battleships and the White Devil. He's pretty much the exact same as those Nazi aces on the Eastern Front who racked up dozens (or even hundreds) of kills against ancient, crappy Russian biplanes.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Logicblade posted:

Rest in peace, Docker Iqq. You were the best Zanscare had to offer. Ride on into that sunset, you magnificent motorbike aficionado.

The thing I adore about Duker is that all of his inventions work, and they're loving terrifying. The wacky motorbike guy was one of Zanscare's greatest military assets.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
As you can probably tell by now, oxygen deprivation was not kind to Fuala.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Logicblade posted:

Yeah well I was expecting like a biological weapon, but psychological weapons are just scarier. It sure needs a lot of human batteries to run, so it's effectiveness seems sort of short sighted.

It only needs to work once. It's a genocide weapon, designed to wipe Earth clean of sentient (not just sapient) life by shutting down their higher brain functions until they starve to death (which would be accelerated by the physical degradation it also causes in its targets), letting Zanscare move in and colonise the planet unopposed. All the freaky psychic visions for anyone in its vicinity are just a side-effect. And the poor fools powering it think they're just broadcasting messages of peace and goodwill to help stop the fighting... and also serve as useful human shields if anyone tries to stop the damned thing.

Yep, Fonse is a really good candidate for 'worst person in the Universal Century'.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
No mention of GBF? For shame. I mean, it does a lot of different varieties of giant robot fight, but episode eighteen contains one of the most spectacular urban combat scenes in the franchise.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

TNG posted:

In the background material there's some stuff about a Side 3 colony being violently suppressed because they were protesting the war, but you're right. In mainstream animation, the Zeon types kinda look sad and mournful at best as they go off to commit another atrocity.

This is why I really like Episode Three of IBO. Crank's trying to do the best he can for the Tekkadan kids within his very narrow, aristocratic frame of reference, and they're just baffled and annoyed by the whole thing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Let's give this the rundown:

Zaku II: Good Zaku. Its cute and goofy (but slightly intimidating) design is ideal for the generic mook-suit our heroes will slaughter by the dozen. That wide, staring monoeye is very expressive.

Hizack: OK Zaku. It looks like an ugly, bodged-together mishmash of GM and Zaku parts hammered out by the lowest bidder... which is exactly what it is, so that's fine.

Zaku III: OK Zaku. It's suitably intimidating for a high-spec suit, but I miss the II's curves, and the feet are big enough to be a bit silly.

Geara Doga: Good Zaku. What the III should have been. My only complaint is that it looks a little too badass for a low-budget crapbucket.

Zaku Kai: Bad Zaku. Sorry, Bernie, but it's way too broad, like it's constantly at the wrong aspect ratio, and where the gently caress is its forehead?

Zaku F2: OK Zaku. It's not as ugly as the Kai, but shrinking the head, raising the shoulders, and narrowing its eye-slit did it no favours. It kind of looks like it's angrily looking around for the jerk who stepped on it.

Den'an Zon: Good Zaku. Creepy and unique.

Zolo: Good Zaku. Sleek, stylish, intimidating, and has impressively little kibble for a transforming suit. I even like the beam rotor - sue me.

Death Army: Good Zaku. It's Gundam's favourite mook envisaged as a supernatural beast from Japanese mythology (specifically, an oni) for the noble martial artist to take down mano a mano, and I dig it.

Leo: OK Zaku. The little hat is cute, and I like how it borrows a bit from real-world tank designs, but it comes across as a bit plain and dull compared to the original's quirky charm.

Zaku JC: Good Zaku. Unlike the Kai and F2, it alters the proportions in a good way, broadening the shoulders to give the Zack a more realistic, intimidating feel to go with the more detailed linework while keeping the head proportional and preserving the original's wide-eyed, expressive charm. The colour scheme is neat, too - the unpainted tubes and panels help sell it as a battle-worn pile of spare parts slogging through a gruelling ground war.

Jenice: Good Zaku. The grilled monoeye and hot-rod exhausts give it a hulking, savage wasteland-barbarian vibe straight out of a Mad Max movie. You can smell the terror of the post-apocalyptic villagers who see a horde of bandits coming towards them with this at their head just by looking at it.

Borjarnon: Good Borjarnon. Not quite sure what it's doing on this list, though - what in Queen Dianna's name are 'Zakus' when they're at home? Seriously, though, this is a great redesign - the lowered shoulders and extra-wide monoeye make it look as lovably pathetic as it should be.

Bugu: Bad Zaku. G-Savior's curse of the disproportionately tiny limbs strikes again. In particular, the arms look bady mismatched with the torso.

GINN: Bad Zaku. It's unpleasantly blocky, that gigantic head-fin looks stupid, and its medieval broadsword clashes jarringly with the rest of SEED's technological aesthetics.

ZAKU Warrior: OK Zaku. SEED's ugly colouring does it no favours, and it isn't as striking as some other Zakus, but it's a decent modernisation of the concept without the GINN's poor design decisions or the obnoxious blockiness of many SEED designs - its plain legs and torso are nicely set off by the head and shoulders. A reasonable attempt at a generic villain mech.

Tieren: Good Zaku. Gloriously ugly, clunky Chinese walking tank that's one of the series's biggest success stories in creating a nearish-future mech combat aesthetic for the Gundams to party-crash.

Geara Zulu: OK Zaku. It's not bad, per se, but it's a bit too skinny and looks a bit too much like a guy wearing a costume rather than a giant robot. A definite step down from the Doga.

Zila: Bad Zaku. Booo-ring.

Space Jahannam: Good Zaku. It's big and intimidating enough to serve as an ace suit for a main character, and plain and visibly low-tech enough (in comparison to its foes) to serve as an underdog mook-suit. I like how it incorporates the standard Amerian ball cockpit, showing that it's their most advanced design, and the cross-shaped monoeye and folding beam axe are both totally loving awesome. Also, it has the angriest crotch armour of any suit on this list.

Graze: OK Zaku. It has a really striking, intimidating silhouette, and I love how the show uses it in battle, but I'm not entirely sold on the big yellow reels in its torso or the pair of butt-shields - seriously, what are those for?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Droyer posted:

You forgot the Re G-IT

Not Zaku enough. I went for 'suit most like a Zaku II in its series', and while the RG is a fun riff on the III, it's in the same show as the Space Jahannam.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

You forgot the Hi-Mock.

I'm sorry, Yajima Trading's lawyers won't allow us to call that a Zaku. It is a completely original, copyrighted design, and any resemblances to other franchises' intellectual property are purely coincidental. Not least because the original designer (who has now unfortunately left the industry, forfeiting the royalties from his creation - we understand how upsetting this must be, and will try to get in contact with him as soon as is possible) turned out to be an alien. You seriously think an alien would commit copyright fraud?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Crummelhorn posted:

the Zaku I is just a Zaku II without the tubes

where does it sit on the list

Funnily enough, the I has had a string of suits referencing it as well. There's the Zoloat, the Anf, the Jahannam, the Gavane Gooney Custom, the Tallgeese, et cetera. I figured they would probably warrant a separate post, if anyone was so inclined.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I have to say, overall The Origin is great, but there's a couple of bits I still don't like. Char randomly being a Guntank ace at age 8 is stupid, and the characterisation changes to Jimba Ral and Kycilia aren't great. The changes to the scene where Kycilia executes Gihren are especially bad, since she shoots him in cold blood and her "if any of you disagree, press charges after the battle" line is gone, which removes one of her few redeeming qualities.

The decision to make M'Quve into a noble enemy was sort of weird, but I didn't mind it as much.

M'Quve's been getting more sympathetic treatment for a while now. Many of his nastier actions were removed in the compilation movies, and Char's Deleted Affair (which followed the 0079 movie continuity) gave him a big heroic sacrifice allowing Dozle's wife and child to escape to Axis.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

There's significantly less build-up (she doesn't sit down and do a bunch of work and talk to Char in-between asking where the Great Degwin is and deciding to shoot him, she doesn't call him a patricidal monster, there's no "stop joking around" exchange between them) and the line about filing charges (which suggests she's willing to face the consequences of her acts) is replaced with "if anyone objects, speak up now" when she has her hand on her gun and a platoon of armed soldiers behind her.

This completely changes the tone of the scene from "Kycilia is doing what she feels she has to, and is willing to legally own up to the consequences of her actions once the immediate crisis is over" to "Kycilia just charged in, staged a coup using Degwin's murder as a reason to shoot Gihren, and browbeat everyone in the command centre into obeying her orders at gunpoint."

(There's also a scene earlier on in the manga where she's shown to also be plotting against Degwin, something which is obviously absent from the series and again, turns her shooting Gihren from revenge into something a lot more calculating and overall changes her from someone who is loyal to her father to just another backstabbing Zabi.)

Actually, she did have her own thing going on in the anime. Long before her coup, she was having M'Quve skim resources off the top of his mining operations to fund and equip her own cadre of loyalists. There was always an element of opportunism to her icing Gihren.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Srice posted:

ZZ is legit pretty funny. Tomino's comedy is pretty underrated, he's great at having characters just bounce off each other in amusing ways.

Yeah, Bright going 'gently caress it, I just don't care any more' after the Shangri-La kids invade his ship is hilarious. The Endra crew are great, too.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tsob posted:

I thought it was a thruster, not a laser?

Correct. The Barzam was specifically mentioned to be unpopular because it was a generic and somewhat undergunned suit at a time when mass-produced machines were starting to get genuinely potent.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

The only Char to be a really great pilot is Afranchi.

Mask grows into a real monster by the end of his show (the Kabakali should not be an even match for the Perfect Pack, and yet...), and Harry is also very impressive. Graham may count too, when he's sane.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tae posted:

It's easier to look better than Char when you're not facing arguably the best pilot in UC in Amuro. Unicorn was cool, but let's be real, everyone there except maybe Marida were scrubs compared to Amuro.

Angelo was pretty loving scary. For all his goofiness, Mashmyre was a decent pilot, but what Angelo managed to do in the Rozen Zulu managed to make his performance in the Hamma Hamma (basically the same suit) look downright pathetic.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

Start of ZZ Mashymre was basically a barely competent clown who was given command of a ship due to his fanatic loyalty, so his performance in the Hamma Hamma isn't really a high bar to clear. Only after he got Cyber Newtyped did Mashymre become a scary motherfucker.

Nah, he was always a decent pilot, technically speaking. His big problem was that he was chivalrous, soft-hearted, and had no loving idea how war was supposed to work.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

TNG posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yic2eaCnIao

Don't be so upset about Mashymre. No one else was.

It's funny how a line-reading can change a scene. In the Japanese track, Haman sounds like she's legit upset, but is trying to convince herself it's no big deal. It's actually one of her bigger humanising moments.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Well, elite grunts. The Zeon pilot has a Gelgoog, and the Feddie pilot is in a space command GM.

The best part was just before Amuro showed up, when a Guncannon just schools the guy in the Gelgoog. Charges in, springboards off his shield, blows up a Zaku II, and goes flying off to blow people up somewhere else without even getting scratched.

Unnamed Guncannon pilot is pretty badass for a dude with no lines.

He was flying with Amuro. Had to be Kai. That's even the sort of silly stunt he'd pull.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tsob posted:

That seems a little unduly harsh on the Hyaku Shiki. It wasn't even around at the start of the series and was built during testing for the Zeta so can't be that far off the curve. It's obviously below the Zeta in terms of performance, but I doubt it's by a huge amount and it has a decent selection of weaponry and stuff too. It seems like it's main detraction compared to the Zeta is an inability to transform and the straight line speed that allows. Those things are nice, but not exactly essential.

Yeah, it's basically the Mk.II with extra perks, which essentially makes it the AEUG's second-best suit (unless you count the Dijeh, and we see that thing so little it's hard to tell what its performance is like).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I guess my question is actually 'has a shield ever saved someone's rear end in Gundam beyond just being helpful to keep blows away' because I'm drawing a blank.

Literally every time a late-UC suit takes a beam hit to its shield. Regular armour is almost completely useless against beam weaponry (with the exception of some large and superbly-engineered machines like the The O), which is why movable-frame technology (and thus transforming suits) exist in the first place. Properly-coated metal shields - and later, beam shields - are very important to UC suit combat.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

all the posts in the ibo thread about how brutal it is and therefore cool

To be perfectly fair, though, some of that brutality has been portrayed as cool. The mech fights are savage, visceral things in which giant robots (and not-so-giant robots) are ripped apart with huge and downright evil-looking weaponry, but they're also graceful, dance-like, and soundtracked with stirring Spanish guitar, and the mechanical carnage gives it all a satisfying kick. On the other hand, much of the interpersonal violence is not glamorised in the slightest (see also, basically every time Mikazuki kills/tries to kill someone when he's not in the Barbatos) - it's short, abrupt, doesn't contain so many loving pans over all the sexy murder, and it's not excitingly soundtracked. Near as I can tell, those parts have been reacted to with the appropriate horror by the thread denizens.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

She just had a glaring problem. Like drat, she has resting glare face.

Most of the Wing characters (and pretty much all the female characters) did, didn't they?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

GimmickMan posted:

The violence of IBO is raw enough to be shocking but lacks the edgy gross aspect or the glorifying high-budget slow-mo shots that shows trying to make brutality a selling point tend to have. IBO is really good so far and I'm happy to see Gundam effectively convey that kind of anti-violence message without Tomino at the helm. :unsmith:

I'd disagree for the mech fights, at least. The Barbatos does get a number of shots of it doing something viscerally awful to another suit and then getting a slow, loving pan up its body as heroic music swells. See also, when it pulped the rear end in a top hat squad leader's Graze in Episode 1, and when it said hi with a point-blank howitzer blast through the cockpit in Episode 5. The interpersonal violence is indeed significantly less sexy, though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kuroyama posted:

Doesn't quite count. Ali is a terrorist, and a clown, but the two don't intersect in some way. At least Trowa incorporated his trapeze routine into his piloting.

He does some sweet acrobatics with the Arche's beam sabre feet.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Both OPs are good, and deliciously Eighties despite the show getting released a couple of years too late.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Midjack posted:

IBO hasn't even completed 20% of its run; it is way the gently caress too early to recommend it in the context of robot fights. I love it to bits so far but for all we know the Barbatos may never fight again.

It probably will, though.

Akihiro and Mika will abandon their mobile suits and obliterate Gjallarhorn through the power of raw, manly flexing. After seeing the ludicrous gains she has made in the Tekkadan gym, the four Earth superpowers will bow down to Kudelia and make her their queen.

I have foreseen it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Reds posted:

Try's action was awful. The budget was non-existent and the Build Burning's fighting style consisted entirely of finishers and incredibly thick plot armour.

The one time he fought an opponent who could cancel his finishers he flopped over like a dying fish. He didn't even attempt to throw a single normal punch.

Were you trying to make your friend hate Gundam? Hopefully watching the first season undid the damage.

Here's what you do if you insist on watching Try: You watch the first episode, then you watch Minato's debut episode with the SDs, then skip to Snapfit Simon's episode, then you skip to Tryon 3, then you watch the final episode and you pretend that there was a good show inbetween those episodes. This is the best way to watch Try because the other episodes will make you hate the main characters and their rivals.

The Crossbone fight was pretty OK.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Started on the Thunderbolt manga to see if the anime's worth making a fuss over, and I like it. It's blunt, unsubtle melodrama ('I don't love you any more - if I could order you to die, I would!' - an actual line) with really cool fights and tons of style and atmosphere, and the mechanical designs are ugly but in a fun way - this is two worn-out military units fighting over incredibly hostile territory in the rear end-end of nowhere, so everything's bodged-together and covered in redundant kit. The flavour is strong but tasty.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

It's not unprecedented. Stargazer was also super short.

Thunderbolt has a decent number of chapters out, though, so odds are they'll either rush it or only do a small part.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Mind you, it is worth noting here that Londo Bell is the former AEUG folded back into the corrupt, self-interested Federation. Amuro and his comrades are indeed tools of a decaying, soulless regime until they rebel to stop Axis and become something superhuman. I think it's important that all of the Nu's weapons are stripped away before it pushes away Axis.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Read up the rest of the translated Thunderbolt chapters, and it's more of the same - a bleak, stylish, atmospheric melodrama that should really benefit from being animated if they don't get cocky and try to do too much at once. And Volume Four was translated less than a week ago and ends on a giant cliffhanger. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So since we're chatting about Thunderbolt, I was thinking of writing up a big, cheesy, grandiose airport-novel-style promotional synopsis for people who haven't read it, since (a) it would be fun, and (b) it's exactly the kind of story that feels like it should get one - and I say that with all affection. Stop me right now if it's a bad idea and you don't want to see it clogging up the page.