Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Righty-ho, here we go.

The Thunderbolt sector.

Once, it was Side Four, a peaceful, prosperous spaceborne nation on the edge of humanity's slow expanse into the solar system. The One Year War, the apocalyptic struggle between the Earth Federation and the rebel Principality of Zeon, changed all that. Now, it is a vast field of ghosts, debris, and savage electrical storms, where nothing lives except an elusive pirate radio station, broadcasting ancient music from the Anno Domini era to Federation and Zeon alike.

It is into this eerily beautiful hellscape that the Moore Brotherhood intrudes, former Side Four residents seeking to reclaim their homeland and secure the Federation's supply routes as it prepares for the final battle at A Baoa Qu. Waiting for them is the Living Dead Battalion, a ramshackle, under-supplied, and grimly determined mob of crippled Zeon veterans serving as expendable guinea pigs for the Principality's horrifying psycommu experiments.

Io Flemming is the black sheep of Moore's former ruling family, a hedonistic but supremely gifted adrenaline junkie addicted to mobile suit combat and classic jazz. The Brotherhood's ambitions mean nothing to him - he signed up to the Thunderbolt campaign to test himself in the solar system's ultimate proving ground. What he finds there, though, is utterly beyond his imagination.

Darryl Lorenz was once a Zeon infantryman, one of the thousands of teenage bodies it threw into the meat grinder to stave off defeat for another few weeks. Now, he's one of the Living Dead Battalion's greatest weapons, a superhuman sniper with literal nerves of steel. The Battalion is the only family he knows, and he wants nothing more than to keep it safe... but how high a price is he willing to pay when his very humanity is the currency, and will be even be given a choice in the matter?

As fleets clash in the shadow of the huge, dead colonies, these two men's fates will become inexorably entwined...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
GBF's first season also included that rarest of things in Gundam - fun, cute romance.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Probably still in production. It hasn't been that long since they were announced, relatively speaking.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
... Elbow Smaaash...

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ka0 posted:

I would buy all of the Zakus if they rereleased the crazier stuff, like the NT type Zaku or the Zaku tank.

The Zaku Reuse (P) is pretty entertainingly weird and ugly, and will almost certainly come out now they're doing the Thunderbolt OVAs.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gao posted:

So what Gundam manga series are worth reading? I decided to try reading the F91 spinoff manga series on a whim, and I found that while Silhouette Formula 91 was possibly the most mediocre and uninteresting piece of the Gundam franchise, F90 was surprisingly good. Like it would have made a better film than F91. But I've never heard anyone talk about it before. So aside from the obvious choices of The Origin and Crossbone, what other Gundam manga is really worth the time?

I've been chatting a bit about Thunderbolt in this thread - see my post history - and if you're into dark, ultra-heightened melodrama, it's pretty fun.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Looks like they've managed to adapt four-and-a-bit chapters in this first episode. It's a solid adaptation of all it's done so far, but there are twenty-eight chapters in the first arc, so I am wondering what they plan to cover in four episodes.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

They're literally sitting in the grave they made of their opponent's home and feeling righteous.

Remember the artificial limbs, the talk of weird experiments, and the fact that they're literally called the 'Living Dead'? These guys are just as much victims of the war as the Moore Brotherhood. Getting slowly murdered by a Gundam is just the runny sauce on the poo poo sundae that is their lives.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Later in the manga, they're willing to blow themselves up rather than suffer the "dishonor" of being made prisoners. One of the federation dudes makes a big speech about how they should stop murdering each other, but it only stops like four of them. The rest keep fighting till the end.

Fascism is a hell of a drug.

Edit: fixed spoiler bracket.

I know, I've read the manga. And the Feds don't come off too well in that scene, either. It's basically a few decent, sane people making a brief connection before a bunch of angry hardliners pull everything straight to hell.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

LORD OF BUTT posted:

no that's 0080

or possibly Iron Blooded Orphans depending on how things shake out in that, it started out dark as gently caress and it's dipped back into that here and there but it might end optimistically

Naaah, IBO is too busy being the second shonen anime Beasts of No Nation.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kuroyama posted:

Refresh my memory on the first one?

Now and Then, Here and There.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yeah, except I didn't find Mika and his crew that good. They were alright, but not interesting enough to get me to watch through these episodes all about some nerd's creepy fantasy to have his perfect space harem.

The writer's Mari Okada. She might want a giant space harem of adoring women, but it's not something I'd immediately assume.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Srice posted:

Yah it'd be weird if nothing bad ever results from their strangely generous deal. Even if it's just something like Tekkadan being asked to do something they don't want to do.

Or the Turbines are on the level, but something highly unpleasant befalls them. There's a big 'live by the sword, die by the sword' thing going on in this show, and Naze and company represent the biggest example of how Orga's vision of Tekkadan as a successful mercenary company can work out. Given that they're loving child soldiers, and that even Orga's top enforcer is starting to fall apart from the stress of being such, I'm pretty sure that that's not the ideal end-goal the show is trying to present, so a key part of that will be making the Turbines' path less attractive.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

He has multiple episodes dedicated to people talking about him in a 25 episode series. I'm not sure why you're saying that.

This is basically what i expect honestly, which will give them a solid plot purpose but not really make Naze feel less crappy as a character, at least to me. They could execute it well of course which would change my mind.

If everything does go horribly wrong, I can very easily see Naze guilting out about having his family fight and die for him, which would make a solid tipping-point for where Orga wants to take Tekkadan given how much he looks up to the guy.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

TheLawinator posted:

So I'm not real invested in the Gundam stuff but I watched the first episode of Thunderbolt and found it to be fantastic. What other shows are closest to that atmosphere?

08th MS Team has a similar gritty wartime aesthetic, plus the same sort of OVA production values. Iron-Blooded Orphans is much more traditionally shonen anime, and also much lighter on fight scenes but has a similarly unnerving protagonist, a similarly dark, uncompromising tone, and similarly brutal, horror-themed action choreography (though it's on a TV budget, without that lovingly-crafted OVA glitz). Outside Gundam, Cowboy Bebop and Armoured Trooper VOTOMS may also scratch Thunderbolt's itch.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Those loving wigs. Those awful, awful wigs.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Droyer posted:

No, and honestly I prefer it that way.

I don't - Letz was loving hardcore for a five-year-old.

They brought the wrong Kobayashi onto the Argama in Zeta.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Logicblade posted:

Docker Iqq is the loving man and the best part about Victory.

As I've said before, the thing I adore about that screengrab is that he's completely right. Dude may be a bit... uhh... eccentric, but he knows how to build a nigh-invincible death-machine.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Should be a rainbow. That Bright cannot ride on.

I'm sure he could if he had a motorbike.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Shoehead posted:

Oh yeah I forgot to ask, what in the hell was that huge energy thing behind Dozle before Big Zam blew up?

Also I guess Kamille really really likes to overreact?

Amuro's a telepath. That was Dozle's rage and defiance. Judau later pulls a similar but even scarier one on Haman.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Plus, the demise of the AEUG leaves the Zeon remnants as the only faction in the UC with something vaguely approaching a positive ideology - the Federation are pretty firmly in 'more money for us, gently caress you' territory by that point.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

dogsicle posted:

yes
a fanbase that existed early in the show, but can't have been hurt by the episode where all the guys exercise and the Megafauna captain gets naked

C'mon, don't pretend like they weren't all there for Klim.

along with the rest of the audience

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Mashita just wanted to sell bootleg Gunpla in peace.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
To be fair, it is super stinky. Remember that episode where they fight on a shore that's been covered with Dead Sea creatures because the ocean's so toxic?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Sayla piloted a Core Fighter and had the second highest kill count on White Base!

G-Fighter. Key difference - one of them actually has serviceable weaponry.

If Katz had been pulling those exact same moves in a G-Fighter, he would have obliterated Yazan rather than just scratching his paintwork.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Actually Katz's G-Defensor is a lot more comparable to the Core Booster Sayla was the retcon-pilot of! It's actually probably better than the G-Fighter was. Just... y'know, it's even better as the Super Gundam instead of with Katz's rear end piloting it. So Katz gets to ride around in the crappy ejected cockpit.

I was talking purely in the context of that scene, where he had given all the guns to Emma and was engaging Yazan in that tiny little Core Fighter. That certainly gave him much less firepower than Sayla carried around.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

closeted republican posted:

It's a great aicraft fighter when Salya gets her skillz up to par and Sleggar gets one, but it's main selling point, the combinations, are utterly useless.

It gets the Gundam from A to B quickly, and provides powerful fire support once it's there. That's all it needs to do. Everything else is just the White Base crew dicking around with their new toys.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

I still don't get the common complaints about Tomino characters being weird. Do you, like, know real human beings? Who act on emotions and make mistakes? Cause that's usually what all these complaint boil down to.

It's like all those complaints about people not acting like emotionless player characters in movies: it's loving nonsensical.

It's not about people having emotions, it's about how they express them. Tomino's ear for dialogue is... very strange, and his writing often feels like he has a grand narrative planned out in his head and occasionally forgets to relay the details to the rest of us.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

At the very least, I'm glad the G-Reco mech designer is continuing to work on Gundam going forward.

For reals. Gyobu was probably G-Reco's biggest contribution to the franchise.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Midjack posted:

Possibly the most meta post in adtrw ever.

This forum got its rename for a reason.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Ah, but what about curvy spikes?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Hey, it's completely possible for Gundams to be elegant and interesting to look at without a bunch of extraneous kibble. Just look at the Victory-2 or Turn A.

The G-Lucifer is pretty lovely, too. :can:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

It's it just me, or does that thing's head look a little bit :downs:?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
To be honest, I quite enjoyed the early parts of ZZ. I'm sure that it helps to have a big gap between watching Zeta and watching it, because hoo boy, tone whiplash, but Bright being completely broken in soul was hilarious, Roux and Elle were cool, and the Endra's crew were an endearing bunch of villains (excluding Glemmy, who was a giant creeplord from day one).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Snowman_McK posted:

Man, Zeta-Gundam, even early on, is pretty drat good at pulling the rug out on who you thought the bad guys were. I like the implication that good and bad are just matters of perspective and circumstance.

Also, there was a massive Gundam mentioned earlier, maybe one that a smaller gundam fits inside. I'm sorry for the very vague description, but does anyone know what I'm referring to?

The big Gundams in Zeta are the Psyco Gundams, Newtype-use war machines roughly the size of the Big Zam. As for big things piloted by regular-sized Gundams, there's the Dendrobium Orchis from 0083 and the Astray Red Frame's power loader exoskeleton from SEED Astray.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Honestly, though, he does kind of have a point. Cumpa had completely lost control of the situation by two-thirds of the way through, the Dorette Fleet and (especially) the G-IT Corps were sheltered, entitled rich kids trying to be scary badasses, Mask had largely forgotten his goal of Kuntala liberation and was just operating off a Pavlovian rage response that kicked in whenever he saw the G-Self, and President Niccini was just an idiot manchild in love with his shiny new toys. About the only competent, malevolent villain in some position of control was Jugan, that black Capital Army commander with the dreads, and he was really just a middle-manager who was treated utterly offhandedly by both the show and the cast.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

It'd be legitimately interesting to see two sympathetic groups of characters forced to fight over irreconcilable differences as the climax to a show but probably too depressing. You could have had it with Destiny if it hadn't been The Right Guys and Shinn's Band Of Suckas And Losers Who Want To Kill Freedom maybe.

Read Thunderbolt. Well, if you don't mind it getting depressing, anyway.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Even 08th is like Evil Wombot. 0080 is true though, you're right, it was exactly what I was thinking of and I'm not sure why I forgot it.

I said sympathetic!

Hey, Io may be a dick, but he's not evil, and his buddies bring the Federation sympathy pretty comfortably.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

Wong is an rear end in a top hat. An rear end in a top hat with a lot of money.

I still find it hilarious even Amuro got caught in his assholery crossfire.

Also sensible, well-thought-out opinions. He's a total dick, but he's often right, and he's almost always got a smart point to make.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Droyer posted:

It's been a while, but I'm fairly certain you can see several red Rick Diases on screen at the same time.

Yup. The entire Argama Rick Dias wing paint their suits red after a certain point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

SEED mode isn't a Coordinator-only thing. Supposedly the reason that happened was to show that it wasn't just a Coordinator thing but it never got followed up on in Destiny and Destiny poo poo all over Cagalli so an explanation ain't happening.

To be fair in the main series Cagalli is literally the only major named pilot who isn't a Coordinator, Newtype or Boosted Man/Extended so it ain't like anyone else had a chance!

God, that's sad.

Edit: Although I guess to be fair it isn't like major oldtype pilots are a dime a dozen in any Gundam show not specifically about regular people but still.

They are in G-Reco. Bellri is the only confirmed, definite awakened Newtype in that show.