Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Hammers are cooler. Especially when they're a ball and chain flail that isn't a hammer.

The Gundam Hammer is a meteor hammer, and I accept the Chinese definition of hammers because they're better at kung fu than you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's also just a plain fantastic bit of visual storytelling when a Calamity War-era Mobile Armor fires its beam weapon at a bog-standard grunt mobile suit, and the nanolaminate just shrugs it off like water.

Times have changed and tech has evolved.

It's also a very telling piece of visual storytelling that a MA was built with both a beam cannon and nanolaminate armour. The Hashmal was a weapon of extermination, not just a weapon of war.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I hope there's a good selection of IBO suits, and that you can get away reasonably easily without filling up all your equipment slots (I remember the Turn X being oddly underpowered because its part count was so low).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Wait, it has SD gundams? Are the SD pats compatible with regular parts?

I don't believe so. Parts are only compatible with parts from the same model kit grade, so you can't have, say, a HG with massive PG arms.

I do remember this restricting suit/part choice a bit in GB3, where MG parts were the best you could get but were only available for certain suits (meaning that you had to stick with SEED, Wing, and UC stuff in the mid/lategame).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Most suits in GB3 had their bits on their backpacks, but the Kshatriya had them on its arms, making it a solid option for doubling up on drone-spam. Presumably, they'll be a shield part for the Aerial, making it another decent stackable option.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

uninterrupted posted:

Gotta assume it's gonna include all the suits from breaker mobile, so there will be an absolute shitload of them

Also looks like you can have left/right arms from two different suits

God I hope they don't gently caress this up

Yeah, the publicity image specifically includes a Gundam with mismatched arms.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Iron-Blooded Orphans is another very good modern Gundam show, if quite a different beast from WFM.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Put Teiwaz there, they'd be in charge by the end of the day. Also, a lot of people would get horse heads in their beds.

Even just dropping in McMurdo (and Rustal, if you really want to be unfair) seems like enough to completely reshape geopolitics in the solar system. IBO has some scarily competent players high up in its power structures.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

Gundam shows have pretty much always advocated incrementalism and the idea that existing systems can be redeemed if only you can remove the bad actors from within them rather than root-and-branch revolution and systemic upheaval.

IBO goes with the similar but subtly different left-pessimist take of 'violent rebellion is effective for driving sweeping social reform, but it'll be conducted by maladjusted members of the underclass who will end up vilified and dead in a heap while their enemies take all the credit and reap most of the rewards for making society better'.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It's important to remember that the AEUG is basically a Contolist resistance faction battling Earth tyranny, even if the Gryps Conflict has a fair few complicating factors.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
McGillis absolutely sucking is what makes the poor developmentally-stunted bastard so compelling, though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gripweed posted:

I haven’t been on Twitter in a while but I remember Re Rise not getting much buzz while there was a small but committed group of AGE revisionists.

Hey, if the shy ReRise fans want to show up en masse to represent their girl, that's fine by me.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ManSedan posted:

That's up to interpretation.

Hey now, Suletta is extremely loyal to her wife.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

It's also entirely relegated to the initial setup. The world even in MSG does not really feel like a world reeling from losing half its population

The environmental situation on Earth does get increasingly bleak over the course of Tomino's original UC saga, though. By ZZ, they're having to terraform Europe, and that's before the vision of hell that is the Dublin drop.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

He doesnt even care about that. As long as you're in the Gundam he doesnt care.

This is a relatively new development as of ZZ, where the trauma of the Gryps Conflict causes him to completely check out from life, although it does cause him to mellow out in the long run as well. He's much more uptight in 0079 and Zeta.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Warmachine posted:

Haman responds with unconcealed disgust at the notion of being fixed.

Judau, somewhere on Jupiter, sneezes.

Haman's whole thing is that she simultaneously loves and hates the idea of someone swooping in to fix her. God only knows what chaos would ensue if she met Suletta.

Oddly, I feel like if she met Mashymyre, they'd rapidly become best friends and extremely supportive of each other's romantic pursuits.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Zedd posted:

The fight between the Sinanju and the Unicorn at the end of episode 3 was dope.

Banagher is definitely at his most interesting whenever he goes loving berserk.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Warmachine posted:

I must need to rewatch ZZ because my recollection was that the first time they met, it was the most formative moment in Mashymyre's life, while for Haman it was Tuesday. The second time they met, Mashymyre got cyber-newtyped.

Am I remembering wrong?

This is completely correct. That said, Haman seems to have some basic affection for Mashymyre (in the Japanese dub, at least), and she's definitely up for Judau sweeping her away on a white horse (even if she'd never admit it).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

I'm a big Kunio Okawara fan so I don't hate the MS designs of SEED but they look so much better as gunpla than they do in animation.

Mind you, the secret sauce is that the Gunpla engineers massively redesigned them from Okawara's original drawings. The MG Providence in particular is a very different beast.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I think it works as an incredibly cynical look at how positive social change is accomplished. The revolutionaries who shocked the world into action are maladjusted outsiders who end up dead in a heap and remembered as terrorists and murderers, and their enemies take all the credit for the reforms they fought tooth and nail against. Big Civil Rights Act vibes.

If Tekkadan had failed entirely, that would have been too neat. Instead, the message is 'this is what success looks like'.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Argas posted:

00's genre of aliens are just completely different from Re:Rise's anyway.

00's problem is that they didn't and couldn't back away from having the broader view of things because that's sort of been 00's gimmick even if S2 was really bad at it sometimes. Devoting too much time away from the main characters causes problems when the actual important alien contact stuff is always going to need stronger characters. It's just kind of a situation with no winners. Even if you could devote enough time to both things, they still had a boatload of action. And even though it's really stupid, I'll give 00 credit. They taught the aliens that humans communicate through violence.

Re:Rise's are just basically an uncontacted tribe civilization of alien-looking humans.

Mind you, the main antagonist is also pretty alien in both his nature and personality. Literally the broken, mad god of another planet.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Re:Rise is quite Gundam once it gets up and running, yes. The main villain is basically a halfway mark between CCA Char and the Devil Gundam, for instance, with a similar (though not identical) origin story to the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Nuebot posted:

For as shallow as he is, I kind of like Gym Ghingham and I enjoy how every single person under him is just insanely incompetent at everything they do.

I dunno, Merrybell seems to get poo poo done fairly well. It's just Sweatson who's kind of a disaster.