Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Iirc the GMII's are essentially on par specs-wise with the RX-78-2 with a panoramic cockpit, which sounds impressive until you remember that the gundam was itself already outdated by the end of the war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Wing is much like Nic Cage where you can call it bad and that's the end of it but that answer is unfulfilling, somehow, and also fails to convey the scope of its true nature. Wing is insane and hard as gently caress, and approaches it's premise with the sort of straight faced nonsensicality that can only be born of deliberate action.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

PBS Newshour posted:

What is Frozen Teardrop and could it be work into Super Robot Wars?

Frozen Teardrop is the absolutely insane novel sequel to Wing where the writer heard everyone call wing wacky and proceeded to crush a pen and shout "I'll show THEM wacky, I'll show THEM ALL"

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

The wildest thing about kou being a hapless rookie is when you realize he's the same age as Amuro and by all rights would have been conscripted into the OYW like all the other teenagers in the earth sphere

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

The wildest thing about kou being a hapless rookie is when you realize he's the same age as Amuro and by all rights would have been conscripted into the OYW like all the other teenagers in the earth sphere

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

Maybe Hirohiko Araki will share his dark secret that keeps him so young and will we always have bitter Tomino?

Araki and Tomino are the yin and yang of immortality, where Araki will always be a jovial man in his late 20s and Tomino has been a whip tongued fogey since the dawn of time and will continue to be so long after we are all dust

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

StalkofWheat posted:

At least English Kira knows how to cry.

still one of my favorite behind the scenes gundam stories

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

There are exactly two good elements of igloo, one is the zudah and the other is the hidolfr fight, and they still don't make igloo worth watching in full

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It only took out Sydney and Canberra, so most Aussies would probably consider it a favour.

Hell, the Lingering debris cloud probably made the following summer nice and cool!

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

IBO is bad but the Barbatos is very very good.

I was disappointed by the animation version of the 6th form, as the lineart and early model promos looked like a cool, simplified design out of the good era of Five Star Stories but in actual animation it was way too chunky and beefy. The Lupus Rex is cool though because it's a kind of aesthetic you don't really see in Gundam much, even in villain factions.

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 23, 2017

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

GimmickMan posted:

I love my big goofy tentacle gundam head monster.

I'm imagining this scene but with amuro and char instead of The Iron Man and the Fetishist now

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Kuvo posted:

im only 4 eps into reconguista in g but why does both sides let their prisoners just casually take their mobile suits out for test drives during combat?

The running theme of g-reco is that everyone treats war like a game because the experience of real, consequential violence has long passed out of living memory.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

military equipment like tanks, jets, etc. in real life tend to not have keys or any anti-theft because it's one more potential Thing To Go Wrong if you have to scramble to full readiness on short notice, and also because it's generally accepted that someone has to be loving suicidal to try and steal a loving tank.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

While you're generally right, you're reading too much into this part. The thruster legs are very clearly designed for space combat, and they'd be little more than cumbersome dead weight in a ground fight. Especially against a high-speed threat like the Barbatos Gundam, which she was dispatched specifically to engage.

Mobile suits aren't real.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

Plus one was ever attacked by a military force or terrorists it would cause destruction at an utterly unprecedented scale.

around the time 00 was airing someone made a physics simulator in flash to give rough idea of how hilariously devastating a snapped space elevator would be depending on where it broke, and the answer was basically that if it snaps anywhere in the middle 50% of its length the entire equator eats poo poo.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

DamnGlitch posted:

I recall seeing an awful lot of white liberals making a stink and not a lot of asian americans giving two shits.

Hmm yeah I'm gonna say you're loving blind then buddy

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

The Norris fight is really not very well done, it has really lovely spatial consistency, the 08th team is portrayed as really plodding and ponderous on top of the aforementioned idiot ball issues, the scene can't make up its mind on whether MSes are heavy, near -indestructible colossi or lightweight nimble things that can't take a hit, and a lot of other poo poo that id actually need to bust out final cut and break it down bit by bit too really get into

They basically had a couple of Cool Moments they wanted to show and reverse engineered the fight to show them off, and it suffers for it

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Let me put it this way; Metal Gear Solid was dubbed in David Hayter's apartment.

my favorite thing about this is how when Twin Snakes came out and people were freaking out about the redub, there were all sorts of horseshit conspiracies about why until a crew guy came out and said it was because when they tried remastering the old dub they could hear loving traffic in the background.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Ive actually played the gundam POD game and while its fun, its not nearly as crunchy as a mechwarrior game. Very arcadey, basically a vustom interface for an early gundam vs. Game.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

The prequels are better both in craft and entertainment value than most gundam series

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Unicorn, 00 and AGE coming to Bluray with "existing" English dubs.

I am...slightly tempted to buy AGE. I dunno if the dub will be any good or if it's like some of the other Asian English dubs I've seen from places like Animax. I guess if it's terrible that would fit AGE perfectly. I just want to see why everyone agrees AGE is bad. In my experience such agreement across all the fandom is unprecedented.

there is absolutely no situation in which pissing away that much free time would ever be worth it.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

The Clans' pre-IS solution instead of war was "two representatives duke it out with giant robots". Then the IS showed up and sucker punched them basically immediately.

It was actually the other way around (the IS is doing its space opera poo poo, the clans invade and try to hold the IS to their cultural standards, and immediately get suckered,) which is why it's so hilarious.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

The Tau in general are always the best part of 40k because they keep thinking the universe is a much friendlier and sane place than it is and somehow haven't been horribly turbo-exterminated by the rest of its denizens yet, despite their attempts to try.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I personally would be extremely down for a 12 ep build fighters series that's just some kid who wants to be the next meijin traveling around Japan, having adventures and solving gunpla crime

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

You don't have to adapt the whole of Gundam into a single movie, there's a pretty easy stopping point with Garma eating poo poo and the White Base crossing over into federation territory. The trick is to adapt it so that that feels like a natural crescendo, which would involve introducing Garma fairly early into the film so he feels like an antagonist and not just a third act roadblock, probably by giving him dozle's scenes.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Origin Episode 5 should be required viewing for any person who ever tries to justify the actions of Zeon. The episode pulled off Operation British and stuck the landing.

I just finished watching Episode 5 and honestly I gotta question your judgement here.

The gassing of Island Iffish genuinely feels massively sanitized in Origin compared to descriptions and depictions in other media, its changed from being a full on mobile suit assault to being a single ship operating under the radar, and (extremely heinous, imo) the gas is shown like some sort of gentle sleep-to-death substance as opposed to how its portrayed in, say, 08th Team, as a horrifying nerve agent. On top of this, the actual execution of operation British is quickly glossed over - the following sequence of anti-zeon rioters assaulting the Mass residence is given far more visceral attention and emotional weight, while the colony drop is relegated to voice over against footage.

What really pisses me off, and ties into some larger issues I have with the Origin OVAs, is that they include a largely unnecessary scene where Ramba Ral gets to show righteous indignation at the whole affair, just so they can let a fan favorite character escape immediate complicity in an atrocity and let fans not question their love of a war criminal. This is something that it does a lot in some way or another - they can't say "Zeon was good, actually," but what they can do is take all the characters that fans are attached to and either absolve them of Zeon's crimes or bend over backwards to justify their involvement, even if that means butchering other characters (Poor Dozle is basically reduced to a paper thin caricature of himself) or introducing new characters to take on their crimes.

Ramba Ral in MSG was interesting because he was an examination and rejection of a common postwar trope, the "good nazi," the person who works for an evil organization but is somehow noble. Ral was ultimately a rejection of the idea because, while he was nice to amuro when they meet and had empathy for his soldiers, he ultimately did not have much care for people beyond those he knew personally and still willingly fought and killed for a regime that killed three billion humans. He existed to show that you could still be a bad person and even evil without being a literal monster, that even if you don't personally commit atrocity you still share in the responsibility. The OVAs walk all of this back, putting all of the actual crimes of Zeon squarely on the shoulders of people like Gihren and Kycilia or the Black Tri-Stars, and dehumanizing the Federation side of things so that you don't feel bad about them being absolutely clowned on or worse. The Ral of MSG may not have agreed with Operation British, but he ultimately was accepting enough of it that he continued to serve its perpetrators to the best of his ability. The Ral of The Origin finds the leadership of Zeon reprehensible, and thus...continues to work for them? For years? After they, multiple times, give him plenty of reason to just defect or desert or in some other fashion, loving leave?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

For good or ill he isn't a rejection of the 'good nazi' trope and he shouldn't be. The dehumanizing of every single person who fights for an evil cause is something Gundam is explicitly opposed to. There are other episodes in MSG (like the two Zeon pilots in an episode in the same arc) which follow the same idea.

That's the thing, I'm not saying to dehumanize ral, I'm saying that you can still humanize someone and understand that they are evil. Being "a soldier first and foremost" is wrong when the army you serve has committed the greatest atrocity in human history and shows no sign of remorse. "Just following orders" is not a defense of anything and never has been. The tragedy of Ramba Ral is not that he was a good person fighting for evil men, but that in the end he was not a good enough person to do the right thing. Saying that "he cared for other people, but did not believe he had the right or duty to reject his orders" only highlights the core failure of his character and the eventual end of his arc, because in the end it absolutely is the right and duty of a truly good soldier to reject their orders of they are evil, and to refuse to be used as a tool for greater atrocity.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Even a truce at that point in the war would have been questionable considering what the Federation had endured and the fact momentum was with them by that point in the war, on the eve of the Battle of A Baoa Qu. Generally a truce is broached when a stalemate has been reached, which was not the case. If Degwin was going for anything it would be a surrender with conditions, such as allowing his family to retain control. Hell maybe he didn't even care about that and just wanted the war ended. I dunno, just my perspective.

I mean, given that the impetus for Degwin meeting with Revill was hearing Gihren call Hitler a filthy casual, I doubt he was much interested in keeping the Zabis in power at that point

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Why did nobody tell me that one of the guntanks attacks in Gundam Versus was Ryu kamikaze-ing into a target like it ain't no thing.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

poo poo, I think MSG even has man-portable beam sidearms so it's not like miniaturization is what made the gundam so good, it's just ridiculously powerful for its size

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Or you could watch thunderbolt and have people evaporated by beam swords and an army of suicidal amputees setting off bombs

Thunderbolt is so comically edgy that it not only loops back to hilarious, but continues its arc long enough to no longer be funny and just becomes tiresome around the time it introduces the battalion of actual, for real children.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

If you liked gatchaman crowds then G reco is going to be extremely your poo poo.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

DamnGlitch posted:

I thought Crowds was interesting and explored a few neat ideas, but I wasn't a fan of G Reco and I'm not seeing the overlap except maybe in animation style?

Its been a while since I watched either, but I watched them around the same time and from what I remember they have a very similar breathless storytelling style that's light on narration and expects you to pay attention and pick details up on your own, largely dropping you into an existing world and expecting you to pick up on the setting rules on the run.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

The mobile suits in G reco being all shades of pastel and cute doesn't even scan as a valid complaint, since the show is a huge critique of Japanese rearmament and it ties into how the real-life JSDF uses anime girls and saccharine mascot characters to promote itself. poo poo, there was even a story during G recos air period about how the JSDF did a full blown itasha wrap to a couple helicopters as part of a recruitment campaign.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Frankly I found the pacing and lack of straight exposition in g reco to be a breath of fresh air, after years of shows -even those ostensibly not for children - being so loving scared of viewers losing the thread that they sacrificed every iota of narrative elegance to handhold and spoonfeed.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Caros posted:

If their work doesn't have enough 'soul', studios will keep on humans to do the work,

You are either suicidally naive or genuinely dumb. Why do you think production houses are even investing in auto-tweening? They hate that they have to pay animators and are looking for every possible option to minimize the amount of staff they're responsible to.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

cigarettes, probably

Tomino strikes me as the kind of person who would be very offended at the idea that he needs psychddelics to be weird as poo poo

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Ha ha ha, just picked up a copy of the MSG novel and its so loving blase about the horrors of war its incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I mean, I can't be the only one who sees it.

Don't even need to go that far, it's basically weltall with a different color scheme