Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I finally finished watching Unicorn. I'm not too happy with how, uh, space magic-y the ending was but it was a pretty cool show full of "gently caress yeah" moments and the ride was well worth it. Now, I'm interested in UC and I never watched anything from that timeline except for 08th MS Team which I absolutely loved (except for the Romeo and Juliet thing). Is there any way to watch the original Gundam, like a remaster or anything, that won't make it feel dated as gently caress? I really really want to watch Zeta, 0083 and all the other stuff I never had a chance to watch but I don't know where to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I just finished watching War in the Pocket. :smith:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Currently watching Build Fighters. This is so dumb and so fun.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Yeah, no idea about grunt fights but I'm enjoying IBO's fight coreography quite a lot. Also Unicorn has some cool fight scenes where no actual protagonists are involved.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Yeah, there's a moustache on the Turn-Bs but it looks shorter and closer to the "face". Oh god robot moustaches. :psyduck:

Anyways, I haven't seen ∀ yet but all this time I thought the protagonist was a woman! Have there been any female protagonists in Gundam yet? No, right?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Turn-X is the best, yes.

"But even so" is the thing I remember the most from Unicorn, like it got branded onto my brain.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Oh, Mr. Ral was a reference all along :downs:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Did they add any minor scenes or anything like that to Unicorn 0096 that makes it worth giving it a rewatch?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Just finished Build Fighters Ep. 15. What a great episode, what an awesome series. Also Ral is only 35 what the hell :allears:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I am a non-native who has a decent grasp of English phonetics. What difference are you guys talking about?

Pureauthor posted:

That would be Fenice vs Star Build Strike, right?

Yeah, one of the series' high water marks.

Yup! I really like how they explained why Ferinni's Gunpla had so much battle damage and why he didn't bother to fix it.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

It's Ban-argur versus Banna-jer. The former is the official pronunciation, the latter is the one they like.

Oh :lol: Yeah, I've always used the second one, I didn't knew the first one was the official one.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I just found about the Zogojuash.

http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/Zogojuash

That's totally a vagina, isn't it.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I mean, the legs are what makes it go from weird looking cephalopod thing to, uh, that.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I've been reading the origin considering I never saw the original series, and while I'm finding it quite interesting I must say Kai and the kids are insanely annoying. My first exposure to the UC was Unicorn, so it's funny to see how characters have developed between 0073 and 0096. How old is Bright supposed to be in The Origin?

Also, what happened to the RX-78-01? Did it get sucked out of the colony?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I don't have time for a whole series! Huh, what's this about a movie? Something about a Saviour?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Would Guncannons be the second type? I was wondering why Tem and Ramba's squadmates looked down on them.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I don't know if they are supposed to be different models but I like the Guntank design is it appears in The Origin instead of the original design with the dog-shaped head. Even if they are totally useless, it's like the only vehicle that would be practical IRL that UC Gundam has so it has a certain charm to it.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I never watched G Gundam but I was under the impression Sai was a girl :downs:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Haven't watched any Gundam since IBO ended. What's the current hotness?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Might as well ask you guys - has anyone here played G Generation Cross Rays? I've seen it described as Disgaea but with Gundams in terms of being a "grind for its own sake" kind of game and that sounds extremely up my alley.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Endorph posted:

That said do keep in mind Cross Rays in specific has the gimmick of not having any UC series. if you want a broader series list (though without anything past very early AGE) you'd be better off emulating Overworld for the PSP.

Oh I don't mind it. In terms of aesthetics, a lot of the Gundam SEED mobile suits are basically identical. :v: That said, it's a really weird omission - is there any particular reason for it?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Also I guess going into detail is a spoiler and it's been a while since I saw the show so let me know if I'm misremembering, but I never felt like Mcgillis was at all interested in her child bride - it was a political arrangement and she was a useful tool for him, so he would just indulge her. But given that one flashback with Mcgillis' adoptive father's very strongly implied abuse of McGillis I think it's meant to show how morally bankrupt Gjallahorn is.

Azran fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Oct 9, 2020

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Oh wow, Gaelio is 2 meters tall.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Currently watching the 0079 movies, since I've never actually seen 0079. Out of curiosity, is there anything important you lose from watching those instead of the show? Aside from what I assume character development for characters not named Amuro.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I watched the Build Divers prologue and although the animal people were unexpected, the most bizarre thing for me was a character named Rommel coupled with his team being literally called 7th Panzer Division.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I've been playing Cross Rays lately and I dunno what's dumber, the trio of custom Leos from Dual Story G-Unit or the massive katana that is like five times the size of the Astray Red.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Watching Gundam X at the moment, up to episode 8. I have to say I really enjoy Garrod. Him openly auctioning the Gundam but letting everyone know beforehand that it is full of explosives in case anyone wants to try anything funny is :allears: The Frost brothers just casually having a drink with Garrod is also very amusing.

Edit: Also the ED song is baaaaad.

Edit 2: Everyone's been destroying Daughtress heads so much that I had to go check the cockpit wasn't there for some reason.

Azran fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Oct 25, 2020

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I remember being pretty unimpressed with 00 S2, but I liked how the balance of power was turned upside down when the antagonists began producing GN-Xs.
Now that I think about it, the thing that annoyed me the most was how GN drives are shown to be very valuable and then Ribbons shows he built an army of kamikaze clones, each piloting a disposable GN drive-equipped mobile suit. It's been a while since I saw the show so maybe I'm misremembering but it felt so out of left field.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Gotta say, is kinda hosed up that Gundam X has a recurring antagonist whose whole motivation is "an underage kid turned me down, now I want to murder/capture him". This may be the way the subs phrased Ennil's interactions with Garrod, but still.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Endorph posted:

It works slightly better when you learn the insane fact that Ennil is supposed to be 19.

I honestly thought she was at least in her mid-twenties. :cripes:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

The beginning narration also shows you that the Gundams were mass produced. Given that the war wasn't that long ago, it'd make sense that it wouldn't be that much of a deal to have a Gundam, I guess?

Sorta related to this, but there's a later episode where Roybea says something like "oh, the war was like 1.5 billion years ago, right?" and I was like "what? You must be in your late 20s - early 30s, you would've been alive at the time".
Turns out he's 18. :negative:

Edit: Witz is 17, wth

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

tsob posted:

We only see 1 Gundam X, 1 Gundam Airmaster and 1 Gundam Leopard during the opening prologue, and each of them is surrounded by about a dozen bit mobile suits (which don't have cockpits so far as we know) of the same style and not by other piloted Gundams. The Gundams are all in the center of a circle of a bit suits, and the surrounding bit suits all look visibly different in any shot where detail is visible. Which only makes sense, because why would you mass produce Newtype use mobile suits like the Gundams when Newtypes are so rare in Gundam X?

Oh I noticed the GX Bits, but not the other ones. My bad!

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

AU as a concept began with G Gundam, right? I've never watched Victory or F91 but I'd always wondered if they would've been UC shows at all had that concept existed at the time, but apparently F91 was also directed by Tomino so I assume he just likes to make settings weirder as they move on in time?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Everyone mentioned in this page is just keeping the tradition alive - the real OGs are Slender, Denim and Gene.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

3rd OP is the best IMO. Rage of Dust has a ton of energy and I love it.

re: McGillis' child bride, I've always interpreted her existence as another element that points to the decadence and degeneracy in Gjallahorn's nobility.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Rewatching The Origin with my sister and man, the explosions are just so pretty :allears: Early on in the episode, when Char's using a mobile worker, she mentioned how the CGI rocks and dirt looked sorta cheap. Then when the Iron Squadron fight began and everything started exploding, she said "oh, so that's where the CGI budget went"

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

tsob posted:

That was the basic scenario presented in the post series Re:Rise Battleogue released a few weeks ago. It's not quite that even though, because Kira's units (bar the Strike; which could only power it's phase shift for so long anyway) have railguns and can fly, so he'd have a mobility advantage regardless. How much damage those railguns could do is debatable itself though, since nano-laminate is pretty hardy to physical damage too. Just not invincible like with beams. Also, in the case of CE units, I'm pretty sure the pilots inside can still be rattled around by sufficient physical trauma, even if the machine survives due to phase shift; so Mika might be able to wear Kira down with enough big hits.

I'd be more interested in how nano-laminate holds up against some of the gently caress huge beam weapons in Gundam, like the Twin Buster Rifle or Twin Satellite Cannon though, personally.

Funnily enough, in CrossRays the Twin Buster Rifle and the Twin Satellite Cannon were some of the only beam weapons that could put out some actual damage against nanolaminate armor :v: I think Epyon's anti-ship sword was also a very powerful option.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I'm still not sure what to think about the correct pronunciation of "GM" being "Jim". On one hand, it's so dumb. On the other hand, it so dumb.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Just watched Hathaway, it was pretty good! Really pretty too; I loved the scene where Hathaway's transported back to Char and Amuro fistfighting.

I don't know if it was the idea, but I found it very funny when the Xi is fighting the Penelope and Lane looks at the chest of the Xi, because the traditional V fin is down there, before actually finding the head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I've been rewatching SEED lately, it was the first post-Wing Gundam show I ever watched and I still like it despite its flaws. I originally watched it dubbed so this time through I'm going with subs and man, I don't like Kira's voice at all. Cagalli grew on me, Mu's much older-sounding than I expected, everyone else is fine. Yzak is just angry all the time, I love it. Btw I think Kira's civilian clothes are very likely the worst outfit I've ever seen on a Gundam protagonist, goddamn.