Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Gundam is a long-running mecha multimedia franchise produced by Sunrise. Gundam products range from books to manga to games, and of course, anime. This thread is intended as a general discussion thread of all things Gundam except for the toys/models which have their own thread (link below). The original Gundam was quite groundbreaking for its time, and its influence can still be seen in mecha, or even anime in general, today.
Gundam can at first seem quite intimidating to newcomers because of its age and simply how much of it there is, so below here is a chronological list of each Gundam animated feature and a few recommendations for beginners.

Mobile Suit Gundam (1979, 43 episodes, UC, available on DVD and Bluray by Rightstuf, compilation movie DVDs by Rightstuf, Blurays in April)
Mobile Suit Z Gundam (1985, 50 episodes, UC, available on DVD and Bluray by Rightstuf, movie trilogy DVD by Rightstuf)
Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ (1986, 47 episodes, UC available on DVD and Bluray by Rightstuf)
Mobile Suit Gundam: Char’s Counterattack (1987, movie, UC, available on DVD and Bluray by Rightstuf)
Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket (1989, 6 episodes, UC, available on DVD by Rightstuf)
Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memories (1991, 13 episodes, UC, available on DVD and Bluray by Rightstuf in April)
Mobile Suit Gundam F91 (1991, movie, UC, available on DVD and Bluray by Rightstuf)
Mobile Suit Victory Gundam (1993, 51 episodes, UC, available on DVD and Bluray by Rightstuf)
Mobile Fighter G Gundam (1994, 49 episodes, FC)
Mobile Suit Gundam Wing (1995, 49 episodes, AC)
Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team (1996, 12 episodes, UC)
After War Gundam X (1996, 39 episodes, AW, available on DVD by Rightstuf)
Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz (1997, 4 episodes, AC)
∀ Gundam (1999, 50 episodes, CC,, available on DVD and Bluray by Rightstuf)
Gundam Evolve (2001, 15 episodes, various)
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED (2002, 50 episodes, CE)
Mobile Suit Gundam MS IGLOO: The Hidden One Year War (2004, 3 episodes, UC)
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny (2004, 50 episodes, CE)
Mobile Suit Gundam MS IGLOO: Apocalypse 0079 (2006, 3 episodes, UC)
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED C.E. 73: Stargazer (2006, 3 episodes, CE)
Mobile Suit Gundam 00 (2007, 50 episodes, AD)
Mobile Suit Gundam MS IGLOO 2: The Gravity Front (2009, 3 episodes, UC)
Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn (2010, 7 episodes, UC, available on DVD by Rightstuf and bluray by Bandai Visual/RightStuf)
Mobile Suit Gundam 00 the Movie: A Wakening of the Trailblazer (2010, Movie, AD)
Mobile Suit Gunpla Builders Beginning G (2010, 3 episodes, AD*)
Mobile Suit Gundam AGE (2011, 49 episodes, AG)
Gundam Build Fighters (2013, 25 episodes, AD*, available on the Bandai Youtube channel and available on DVD and maybe bluray by Rightstuf in 2016)
Gundam Reconguista in G (2014, 26 episodes, RC, available on Hulu, available on DVD and bluray by Rightstuf in the U.S. and by Anime Lab in the U.K.)
Gundam Build Fighters Try (2014, 25 episodes, AD*, available on the Bandai Youtube channel and available on DVD and maybe bluray by Rightstuf in 2016)
Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin (2015, ongoing, UC, Available on bluray by Rightstuf in the U.S. and Anime Limited in the U.K.)
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans (2015, ongoing, PD, available on Hulu and dub coming 2016)

The Gundam franchise is divided into several alternate universes, originally created to appeal to a new audience which hadn’t necessarily seen any previous Gundam show. The two letter signifier by their names indicate which universe they belong to. Generally speaking each universe is independent from all of the other ones, so you can watch Gundam Wing without having seen G Gundam, while you might miss something if you watch SEED Destiny without having seen SEED first. The * indicates that those shows have no relation to 00, even though they share the AD signifier.

If you’re a complete newbie to Gundam consider starting with 1) War in The Pocket, which while being set in the UC requires no outside information, is quite short and is generally considered very good. 2) ∀ Gundam, which is generally considered the best full length Gundam show. Or 3) Iron-Blooded Orphans, which has recently started, had a promising start, and you can watch with other goons. It has its own thread (link below). If you want to get into UC It's generally recommended to start with the Mobile Suit Gundam compilation movies. The original series has very dated animation which some find off-putting, which the movies largely fix. If you don't care about space opera, but do like robot action and/or toys and models Build Fighters has none of the drama of normal gundam showss and instead indulges in the fun of models and robots punching each other.
Links:
RX-78-2 Gundam Thread
RX-178 Gundam Thread MK II
MSZ-006 Gundam Thread Zeta
Gundam!!!!
Gunpla/Plamo Thread Mk.IV: My other thread is a web shop exclusive
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans - WAITING FOR ERECTION
The New General Mecha thread

Droyer fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jan 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKqs1JLDbp4
Hi! I'm the guy that made the new gundam thread. I want this thread to have a more relaxed feel than the earlier ones. The time of Zorak is behind us, and we must all move on. Of course effortposts are welcome and appreciated, but more short and casual posts are fine too.

The last thread had a problem with the same arguments being repeated over and over. I don't want to stifle anyone's posting, but I will also not hesitate to time the thread out if I think it's necessary.

Regarding spoilers, spoiler tags won't be necessary, but if you know someone's currently watching something please be considerate.

Also, I said this at the end of the last thread, but if anyone has a list of which gundam shows/movies are legally available outside of Japan I'll gladly add that to the OP.

Droyer fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 12, 2015

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

everythingWasBees posted:

Should probably add a "If you're in it just for the robots or toys toys" reccomendation for build fighters.

done

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

please timg this. This is not the chat thread.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Swagger Dagger posted:

Reconguista in G and Iron-Blooded Orphans are on Hulu, the two Build Fighters shows are on Bandai's Youtube Channel.

Thank you, added

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I will say that I don't really agree with Turn-A as a 'beginner" Gundam. It's a good show but it's kind of rooted in thoughts about the series.

I partially agree, but many have told me it was their first and they enjoyed it.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

everythingWasBees posted:

We need more tanks in Gundam.

Good news: IBO

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Erg posted:

I watched like 4 scattered episodes of G Gundam as a child and forgot about it until recently, and that's all my Gundam experience. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a robot show though.

Actually I also remember a chibi gundam show with a weird CG artstyle? No clue if that was a sugar induced fever dream from when I was a kid or what though.

Yeah those exist, they're called sd gundam. I didn't include them in the op because 1) i know very little about them and 2) they're kind of their own separate thing. Feel free to talk about them though!

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Motto posted:

Knowing the history of the series helps, but you don't need to be a Gundam buff to enjoy Turn A. I think it's really silly when some people recommend watching every pre-1999 Gundam before Turn A when the links amount to a few visual cameos and playing some random clips from previous shows during the broadcast from the Winter Palace.

In fairness, it has a larger thematic meaning. The dark history functions on both a commentary on the nature of war and a metacommentary on the gundam franchise in itself, and you won't get the second thing if you haven't seen enough gundam. With that said though, that's hardly necessary to enjoy the show.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I added a rule about spoilers in the second post.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

littleorv posted:

I have never watched a Gundam but I might one day.

I think you should! It's good fun, most of the time.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

This is a bit outside the scope of the gundam thread, but I'd just like to mention that everyone who enjoyed g gundam should definitely check out the other stuff by the same director. Giant Robo especially.

As a matter of fact i'm gonna add a link to the general mecha thread to the op.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

I guess 2 cour Gundam shows will be the norm going forward? I wonder if thia means we'll end up will more Gundam shows coming out overall.

I doubt we'll ever have as many as there were in the mid 90's.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Namtab posted:

people should watch the movies of original gundam instead

I already said this though?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Namtab posted:

Turn a is better, imo, once you have a bit of gundam under your belt

Droyer posted:

I partially agree, but many have told me it was their first and they enjoyed it.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

OZC posted:

Do you want stuff that was at one point available and is out of print and only available via 3rd party sales or just the stuff that you can currently buy that is in print? I've got a list of both depending on what you want.

Just in print is plenty I think

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Namtab posted:

I want the OP to include official Droyer reviews for every gundam

People asked for a neutral op, so that's what i gave them.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Namtab posted:

Do it in the second post or right now after this post. I need to know how many Droyers out of 10 gundam evolve gets seeing as I've never heard of it

Evolve are short mini episodes centered around a single robot. They're mostly fun, but don't add much overall to the greater gundam experience. Of note though is the (non-canon) one about the nu gundam that gave Quess and Hathaway a happy ending. Overall, fun but nothing amazing. 7 droyers out of ten

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

They're good, but you need to be able to stomach terrible late 70s animation.

Also, the OP could do with some more art just to break it up a bit. Maybe use some of the covers for the more recent Bluray releases?

This is true. I'll see what I can do.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Namtab posted:

What's everyone's fave gundam (show) and gundam (big robot)

I'm gonna say 00 season 1 and Wing gundam.

Turn a and V2.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Added another image to the op. Rejoice, Lemon

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I find turn a's tone and message really resonates with me, and i think the story is top notch. I like the V2 because depending on how you outfit it it can be sleek and simple like a sports car, or huge and greebly like a fortress.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

OZC posted:

OK, that's easy then. You've got...

Mobile Suit Gundam TV (DVD & BD via RightStuf) - The first half of this is out now, the 2nd half will likely be out by the beginning of November
Turn A Gundam TV (DVD via RightStuf)
Turn A Gundam Films (DVD via RightStuf)
Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn (DVD via RightStuf, BD via Bandai Visual/RightStuf)
Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin (Collector's Edition BD Import via RightStuf [USA]; Anime Limited [UK])
SD Gundam Sangokuden (Streaming on GundamInfo YouTube channel with SE Asian dub)

For Origin, you can also import the Standard Edition with the dub and subs through Amazon Japan or any other JP retailer with international shipping. The same goes for Unicorn, which is the same aside from Japanese cover art rather than localized art
SEED/Destiny HD and AGE also include subs on their Japanese BD releases and can also be imported through Amazon Japan or other retailers. SEED's HD Remaster is also currently available on GundamInfo's YouTube channel, albeit in standard-def.

If you want to list things scheduled for 2016 as well, you have:

Mobile Suit Gundam Films (DVD via RightStuf)
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam (DVD, maybe BD via RightStuf)
Mobile Suit ZZ Gundam (DVD, maybe BD via RightStuf)
After War Gundam X (DVD via RightStuf)
Gundam Build Fighters (DVD, maybe BD via RightStuf)
Gundam Build Fighters Try (DVD, maybe BD via RightStuf)
Gundam Reconguista in G (DVD & BD via RightStuf [USA], BD via Anime Limited [UK])
Mobile Suit Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans (Dub coming in 2016, DVD & BD presumably to follow)

I think that covers everything announced and currently available to buy right now.

Added, thanks!

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

chumbler posted:

The only really mediocre mobile suit in Wing is Sandrock. Everything else is great.

I think the pre-EW Altron is real ugly

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Nah, the op is the requisite super serious post. I'll put it in the second post though

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

I agree. Maybe something like this?

Please never do this again tia

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I'm not saying you can't post hot babes, if it's appropriate to the conversation. But don't put 2 dozen images in the same post, and don't make two dozen posts that are nothing but that in a row either.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

The chat thread already exists. We don't need 2 of them

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Switching tracks a bit, what's everyone's favorite Gundam music? It might be a bit cliché, but i really like the second turn a ed, Tsuki no Mayu https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2NkIJyRylw

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Razzled posted:

So dudes who watched all of G-Reco, I liked it well enough for the first 4 episodes but there was so much other good poo poo on easier to get sources (CR and Funi for me) that it fell off my radar. Worth going back to watch in full? Also is there anywhere legit to watch them?

The only Gundams I've watched so far are 8th MS (favorite), Gundam Wing (nostalgia/childhood), Gundam 00 (was pretty good, only watched s1 though) and Build Fighters (s1 gently caress yeah, s2 meh didnt finish)

G-reco is contrroversial. I greatly enjoyed it and I know many others who did, but I also know a lot of people hated it. One thing you should know is that it expects you to pay close attention, so if you don't you'll probably have a bad time. It's available on Hulu

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Namtab posted:

Is that really controversial or would a better term be divisive

I think i get the message across either way. Divisive might have been better, but I didn't think of it at the time.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Logicblade posted:

I think it's about time... I stood up to the Victory.

*bites fingernails*

With the first episode cleared, I think I'm in for a treat. Usso is pretty ruthless and creative in combat, team Victory is ghetto as all hell, and the body count is already looking pretty high.

A thing you should know is ep1 is actually chronologically ep4, which is why Shakti ends the episode by going "how did we end up like this?".

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Logicblade posted:

Yeah I've been progressing through it, on episode 3 now. Silly me thinking the Woowig slaughter was just gonna be offscreen. I'm in for a long ride, aren't I? In a lighter note, the Shokew is really cool! I mean there's no way it would actually work, but a helicopter rotor arm is really cool.

Yeah, Zanscare mechs can be kind of hit or miss, but I really like them overall.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Logicblade posted:

Shakti is kind of disappointing. "Oh no war is coming, maybe if I hide and pretend like it isn't happening I'll be fine." Also I don't think Bespa has heard of these things called war crimes...

A thing to keep in mind before you judge Shakti: She's 11

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Logicblade posted:

I want to see how messed up this gets.

You're in for a treat oh boy oh man

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I like the G-armor. It's dumb and silly, but a lot of stuff in the original was and a lot of gundam things still are.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Logicblade posted:

So... when they do they keep the Victory fully formed out of the gate? I mean I get that transforming mechs are cool, but it's just not practical to have a bunch of bottom fighters get destroyed every time you try to dock mid fight. I suppose at least they have the presence of mind to have spares.

Also Zanscare is really trying to hit every villain note right out the gate here, murdering civilians, burning down forests, murdering subordinates, it's a murder party for everyone!

I might be misremembering, but I thought the idea was they don't have a truck large enough to transport it fully formed and having a giant robot just walking around is bad if you're trying to keep a low profile.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

The Muffinlord posted:

So what's the cutest mobile suit? I mean, you could go with Bearguy but I think that's too obvious. It might be the Acguy, though.

Tha kapool is pretty fuckin cute

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Logicblade posted:

So I just finished episode six... what just happened? Like seriously, what the gently caress?

I just killed two of my own subordinates five minutes ago and now I'm gonna catch that gundam! Oh poo poo the pilot is a kid, I better blow myself up with a grenade, reality is too cruel!

Welcome to the Victory Gundam experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I like Victory, but it definitely has problems, especially in regards to women.