Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

everythingWasBees posted:

I doubt I'll ever finish Zeta.

You should. It's a good show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Raxivace posted:

The best Zeta episodes are the ones Imagawa did.

This is not surprising in the least.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Logicblade posted:

Episode 8 was pretty tame, I suppose we needed an 'Amuro is leaving White Base' kind of episode. I don't know if we've got another confirmed kill this episode, but one of those grunts definitely didn't eject the cockpit this episode, so I'll just call it a kill. Anyway that's probably it for me today.

Usso's confirmed Kill Count: 3

I hope you stick with the show, if only because I want to know how high this number is at the end.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Logicblade posted:

Marbet seems pretty cool. You know she's just ready to kick some rear end, but she never really gets a chance to. Here's hoping she gets a chance to show off before bad things happen to her.

Another two episodes of Victory down. I may have lied, I can't put this down, not yet anyway. I'm sort of interested to see where this Chronicle and Shakti arc is going to, and what Katejina's deal is. I've seen enough Tomino series to know that his women always feel a little off, but Katejina is just hitting that note really loudly right now.

To update Usso's killstreak, he went ham in episode 10. Two blown up Tomliats (and boy do they explode!) and two disabled ones. They didn't show the pilots ejecting, and considering the Shrike team basically had a welcome party on their suits, I'd say it doesn't bode well for their pilots. Also say hello to the Shrike team. I have heard things about them so... I will not be as surprised when they all inevitably die, but I don't know the how, so I guess I can look forward to that. Ha ha ha.

Usso's Confirmed Kill Count: 7

Reading your first impressions is really interesting, and I don't want you to take this as criticism, but you don't need to spoiler tag everything. The show is 22 years old, it's fine.

Droyer fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 14, 2015

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Fun Victory Gundam fact: Uso was originally intended to be a descendant of Char Aznable, but that idea got scrapped at some point during development.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

muike posted:

afaik it's just a popular idea that was never official but all the staff (except tomino) are fans of

Gundam wiki said it was true, but they've been wrong before so

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

dogsicle posted:

woah, was the all Gundam OPs vid taken off youtube?

Yeah, a while ago.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Gyra_Solune posted:

Nah not every Gundam OP ever, just probably the ones they're still selling or something. But yeah King Records has been on a copyrighting roll...like literally what do you have to gain from like, axing all the cool Steam Detectives songs, who even remembers that show exists???

You misunderstand. Not "all gundam OPs" but "the all gundam ops" video. There used to be a single video that had all of them, but it's gone now.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I first heard about Gundam when someone recommended I watch SEED. Several years later i decided to go back and watch the rest of Gundam.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Srice posted:

I would not be surprised if people have been complaining about cute girls ruining anime since shortly after it existed

I would not be surprised if people have been complaining about cute girls ruining anime since shortly before it existed

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I can't imagine the elderly care much for Gundam. Gundam certainly doesn't have many kind things to say about them.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

Robots aren't cool anymore.

This is wrong, actually

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Logicblade posted:

Docker Iqq is a pretty cool guy. His obsession with motorcycles knows no bounds, but it is rather awesome.

The Adrastea is cool, in a silly way.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

It's me, I'm the guy that doesn't hate the bikes and tires in Victory

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Please do not talk about upcoming plot points when you know someone else is going through a show for the first time.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

That's not a spoiler, really. Everything I've said should be broadly apparent from what he's seen so far of the Zanscare Empire, and the show doesn't really bother hiding that Fonse is in charge. I mean, I guess you could argue that 'no, there is no twist, things are as they seem' is a spoiler, but it's about as mild as they come.

I'm arguing you shouldn't talk about something that hasn't happened yet, when someone is going through a show for the first time.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Srice posted:

I feel common sense rules are the best, in that the shows are so old that in a general conversation there's no need for tags but if someone is going through one of them for the first time and posting about it, might as well be polite.

Yeah, this

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Gyra_Solune posted:

who does the face in the middle of the tag belong to

i recommend you watch both Gunbuster and Diebuster, if you haven't.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Ernie Muppari posted:

i don't recognize that character from gunbuster though?

That's because she's Nono, from Diebuster

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Logicblade posted:

Welp... Episode 18 cleared. I didn't think they were gonna kill off Shakti, but i guess they did it. Now she, the dog, Suzy and the baby could all still be alive, but being ejected into the cold vacuum of space without anyone knowing about it seems like a death sentence to me. It's like going overboard on a cruise ship, but worse.

I hope you're not dropping the Usso kill count. I really wanna know how high it gets!

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Logicblade posted:

Another episode down, and we finally figured out who Shakti's mom is. The Queen of Zanscare herself. Oh man. Usso was ready to take some heads, but once again reinforcements showed up before he could add some notches to his kill count. I don't know how to feel about Chronicle, he's not competent enough to be threatening, but he's not incompetent enough to be funny either. For the Char Clone of the series, he really only feels like that because he wears a mask on earth. I think that it may be a stretch to call him a Char.

This Gin Gehannam though... who the hell put him in charge of the League Militiare? He's a body double right? He has to be.

Yeah Chronicle's definitely one of the weaker Chars, along with Mr. Bushido and Zeheart.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Logicblade posted:

Oh man, there have been a few skirmishes this episode, and Usso is back on the board after taking a ten episode hiatus. He shot down three mechs this episode, but one of the pilots ejected before the mech was destroyed. I got to say, Usso is a dirty little cheater, suggesting the use of microwaves to induce nausea. I mean it's clever, but wow. Some weird relationship drama this episode, and Junko's death flag could not be raised any higher at this point. She's probably dead next episode. We'll see if the League can actually take out the Kelas Guilie next episode.

Usso's Confirmed Kill Count: 9

I love the giant dick n' balls cannon

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I didn't mind AGE's character designs at first. I was never a huge fan of them, but they were fine. Problem is though later on it feels like there's a shift in character design, so an early character and a later character look like they belong to two different shows.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah the Abigorbine is based on the Abigor. I gotta say I prefer it in purple over the bluish green of the Abigor, but purple is my favorite color so :shrug:

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Most of the cast of Zeta being assholes was partly the point, so I don't really count that as a negative in that sense. I can understand people not liking it though.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Zedd posted:

Good, cry more Noredo :getin:

don't be rude to noredo, she's cool

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Logicblade posted:

Ha... ha... ha... Usso has become a destroyer of worlds this episode. He had already destroyed two mechs by the first half of the episode, bu he had to man the cock and balls cannon and fire it himself, destroying at least eighteen Zanscare battleships with it. I don't know how large the crew would be for one of those, but let's give a conservative estimate and say 100 people. That brings Usso's kill count to... 1800, plus 24 previous to that. Welp, I didn't expect him to get that many kills, that's for sure. Also of note, the second last Shrike Team member died. I was right, Connie did last the longest. Now let's see if she can survive another 15 episodes (I seriously doubt it.)

Usso's Confirmed Kill Count: 1824

These are the types of numbers I was looking forward to

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Logicblade posted:

The Gedlavs are just the silliest things... Anyway, Katejina seems to be a frighteningly competent pilot, she's constantly getting the better of Usso to the point where I'm thinking she's actually the Char of the series. Oliver is basically making the biggest death flag possible for himself, so I give him three, four episodes tops before he bites it. The kill count is unchanged, but I saw the preview for the next episode and... I don't think I want to watch it.

Episode 29 whenever I guess.

The einerads are the best and I love them.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

tsob posted:

I'd say it was definitely intentional on Tomino's part, but I'm not sure it was really the point. Unless the point is "everyone's kind of an rear end in a top hat, but that's okay" or something, which it could possibly be but I don't think that was really something Zeta was shooting for. I haven't seen it in years though, so I may just be forgetting some fundamental stuff. Regardless, I certainly found it off-putting. I actually enjoyed that Kamille was a hothead with no foresight or restraint for a good chunk of the show because it made him an interesting lead - I just hated that everyone else was basically an rear end in a top hat too. Unlike 0079 or other shows there was no real feeling of camaraderie on the Argama. It felt like these were people who were only working together because they were left with no choice and who actually hated each other and had no desire to be there at all even though the major power in space was gunning for them and that should have created a rather oppressive "us versus them" feeling and caused people to bond purely based on overwhelming odds and shared experience. Outside of a handful of moments like Kamille bringing tapes back for Roberto and Apolly though, the crew of the Argama never really feels like they get at all.

I feel like everyone being assholes is Tomino saying "War draws bad people towards it, and makes good people worse", which ties into the anti-war message that's common in Gundam

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Raxivace posted:

What's with Kamille's change in condition between the end of Zeta and ZZ? At the end of Zeta he just seemed to have reverted back to a four year old, and in ZZ he seems full on comatose.

Presumably his condition deteriorated offscreen.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Logicblade posted:

And I thought the Tomliats were made of explodium... the Gedlav just destroys everythiing when it goes up. The V2 is looking very slick, I am a fan. I am not a fan of Lupe trying to take a bath with a 13 year old boy... The rest of the episode was cool though.

Usso's Confirmed Kill Count: 1825

The V2 is probably my favorite protagonist Gundam. It's like the giant robot version of a sports car and I love it.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

TNG posted:

Uhhh, no Zaku, boy.

:thejoke:

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

closeted republican posted:

I think it' funny how Elepo Ple is the standard "uguu so cute ^_^" Gundam character among fans that attracts all the pedos, but in the actual show she's a genuine psycho-bitch that opened fire with funnels while on an occupied playground in Axis, attempted to murder Leina in cold blood while Leina was suffering from an untreated gunshot wound, and is the type that would attack you with an axe she dug up in the garage if you didn't pay attention to her all the time. Judau's reasoning for letting her join the team feels like it's basically "Oh god, she's nuts. Better play along with her or else".

Gundam ZZ actually predates the moe fad. I an terribly sorry, but not everything can be blamed on cute girls. Also please don't use the term "psycho-bitch"

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Reds posted:

Just because she predates the official concept of moe doesn't mean she doesn't qualify for all of the criteria. And people are extremely willing to forgive a character's often extremely negative traits based on whether or not they think they're cute regardless of the era.

Please do not post your essay on why moe is bad in the Gundam thread

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Srice posted:

I like Puru.

I liked that one of the Evolve episodes gave a happy ending to one of the Purus. They've had real harsh lives.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

TNG posted:

Ple is both a deliberate attempt at marketing to pedophiles as well as a massive in-joke at their expense. Fits with ZZ in general really, in that lots of toyetic and 80s cultural forces are driving it and that it's an absurd mess that is having a laugh at its audience most of the time. Even the "serious" aspects of the show are kind of silly in a melodramatic "Gundam" way.

Please do not post about pedophiles in the Gundam thread

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

TNG posted:

Yes, but the way in which ZZ "follows the themes" is to an absurd level. A show with a super toy Gundam whose design precludes it from ever being an effective toy, comically absurd villains even when the show is being serious, and just generally ramping up everything in hilariously reductive ways. I'm not saying the show is bad, but it also stays silly throughout and gets even more-so. It's 80s toy commercial excess, and 80s Japanese nerd culture, and Tomino's own brand of amusement and contempt for the whole thing wrapped into one. It's kind of amazing. Weirder and crazier is right, but I very much think Tomino was having a laugh at the very concept of Gundam shows since the Original and Zeta had become such phenomenons and the production time leading into ZZ was so short.

I think you're projecting what you want tomino to be onto everything he's done, and forcing ZZ to fit that mold.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

Marida would have been perfectly fine if you change her ending. Yeah, her backstory is pretty grimdarky, but I was willing to go along with it so long as there was a light at the end of the tunnel.

Instead Gundam Unicorn should have the subtitle "Life Hates Marida Cruz." I'm pretty sure I mentally checked out of the last film when she bit it. It was just too much.

One thing I think The OVA did well was how it never really went into detail on Marida's backstory like the books did (I think). She should have survived though, se was the coolest character in Unicorn

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Nah, it does. It doesn't go into excruciating detail but she has a flashback which makes things real clear.

Oh. Praise retracted then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Kanos posted:

I really can't stop harping on this.

Then I will. This is exactly what I mean when I say the old thread had the same repetitive argument over and over. Either say something new or change the topic of conversation.

p.s. This isn't directed towards you specifically Kanos, but I feel I have to put my foot down now.