Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it seems kind of pointless, debating the earnestness of people who like crossbone elsewhere on the internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

War and Pieces posted:

if I were to watch just enough to get a feel for it when should I stop?

for some reason the first time i tried watching it, i stalled at eps 11-12. second attempt watching was a smooth shot through, though of course that beginning chunk of 4 eps gets kinda botched by the model kit mandates.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Victory Gundam is getting super popular nowadays. People love the Shrike Team. Just the other day, Kate Bush was trending on Twitter

lmao :golfclap:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

jesus, not even liking the Shokew lol

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

I mean, the Shokew has "Ew" right there in the title.

Zanscare's a major step down from Cosmo Babylonia, designwise. The Den'an Zon had a great knight-meets-trench warfare design that conveyed a lot about the faction using it. The Zolo, by contrast, is a boring version of the Bawoo.

As for the Gundams, the V2 is a step down from the Victory, while still being much better than the assault buster.

i am honestly never thinking about F91

Zanscare tapping both insect and dogu aesthetics is enough to win me over, though i'm not going to pretend Doggorla is a good design or anything insane

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

No doubt, but the sub doesn't have Chibodee Crocket's power-up music be America The Beautiful so it's simply not as good.

you can't use Chibodee as leverage for the dub when in the sub he's voiced by Hochu Otsuka, running around cursing in english and greeting Domon with "Hey Japanese"

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Haros have always had a rude streak

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's animated cutscenes in the game iirc. was confused by the post until i remembered her name is just Killy

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it went pretty badly, i can see why he'd hold off

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

oh no the new Gundam is merely good *looks back at the last two decades of Gundam* never mind i'll take it

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

wing would've been drastically improved with an actual school arc

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

greco is very good, i just don't think a couple shows really carry the whole franchise's modern reputation

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Seed is the worst Gundam i've seen and the only things left to dethrone it are Age or Destiny

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

aside from age and destiny i'm expecting the other stuff i haven't seen to cap out at fine (00, unicorn, igloo). didn't care for ibo s2 much so that's like what people usually experience with 00 i guess.

sd force seems like an incredibly ugly but competently written kids show so far. like an inverse divers

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

battlogues are really pulling weight here

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

his crap is simply better than most

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I mean jokes aside most of Tomino's awful stuff is at least unusual or weird rather than plain awful. It is still bad but at least in a 'what the gently caress' way instead of like AGE tier 'boring as poo poo'

i thought about making a more serious post along those lines but at this point just consider my enjoyment of victory, brain powerd etc irreconcilable differences for the thread lol

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

SEED's female character writing is barely better than a show from the 70s is your answer

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

you get Natarle as a competent and potentially interesting character so Ramius can be further undercut by comparison, so it's really a mixed bag.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i will always appreciate Mu showing up in the Strike to fully kill random guys after Kira does a stupid rainbow pacifism laser volley

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the guys in the laser were already on track for a mutiny before they arrive so it doesn't seem like they really tipped the scales

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

The laser got fuckin' fired. If Athrun and Cagalli hadn't gone it would have nuked the Earth because Athrun blows up his suit and Cagalli saves Athrun's rear end. They are pretty much singlehandedly responsible for the Earth not being nuked because lord knows Kira wasn't helping.

i mean if we entertain hypotheticals, i don't see why the room full of people who didn't support Zala's order to begin with couldn't do something about the laser firing without needing Athrun. not to mention it struck me as strange that self-destructing the base could still cause the laser to fire at all. that's mainly why Athrun feels superfluous to me there, aside from them obviously using it to cap off a few things for his character.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Because presumably if they could they would have done it? Your hypothetical is "Well what if a thing there is no evidence for happened just so I can say a character is useless."

what more evidence do you need than the room was full of guys we see disobeying his order to fire? he has to shoot a dissenter and hit the button himself before getting killed, because nobody in the room wants to shoot Earth at that point. then Athrun and Cagalli entering triggers everyone to leave, because enemy combatants, with the selfdestruct coming up later. there's also the later scene where Yzak's mom is in a room of guys gasping about the shot aimed at Earth so in general, plenty of ZAFT show opposition that could conceivably have turned to acting to stop it.

the other angle to why Athrun feels unnecessary here is they let the background guys deal with Zala literal seconds before Athrun walks in. so no dad confrontation or anything like that.

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jun 22, 2022

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

They literally say it can't be stopped.

and we see it stopped, somehow. i don't think "blowing up a mobile suit next to the gun" is a super unique Athrun thing unless we need to obey additional levels of contrivance like only the Gundam's nuclear engine can do the right explosion to somehow disperse an already fired death laser.

it's a series of scenes that more effectively set up dissent and humanity in ZAFT rank and file than justifying Athrun's presence or importance to me.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

basically, seed should've shamefully stolen axis shock to satisfy me, despite thinking most of their other gundam trope remixes weren't very good

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm obviously not getting my point across so whatever. seed isn't worth it

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

who

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

and it's what they chose for the ult in gundam evo...

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

kana-boon do not belong in a show like ibo

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

not much harm in letting the op play either way, is my thought on it. though some shows have broken me with pure genericness

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

they got kishow or granrodeo for one of the EDs, which is perfect aesthetic match even if it wasn't an amazing song

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9x523hRKeo
ok nah it did slap, i just don't like s2 so it negatively affected my perception lol

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 29, 2022

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

closing the timeloop to create Misato

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the allure of anime for anime's sake was still strong, i don't think it would be that bad

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Turn A has insanely good action animation for the mech fights and you've even got on-foot stuff like the South America arc. obviously this stuff is quite spaced out in a yearlong tv series, i just hold skepticism about the general underestimation of attention span (which seemed like prevailing wisdom at the time). but i would've definitely put my money on X anyway.

chiasaur11 posted:

Still, if I had to blame one show for the failure of Gundam in the US, I'd say Superior Defenders gets the gold.

i feel like this must've largely been because the target audience of the show is way younger than everything else on Toonami, though yeah it's ugly and the dub is nothing special. just can't imagine those latter two were as much of issues back then, especially with people overlooking Wing's dub.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm enjoying it so far. though i wish it was subbed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it works well enough in terms of the character designs and the action scenes read like a game cutscene or something. feel like the off-putting aspects come more into play with their inability to do good expressions/character animation for the humans, and the environments are very flat-looking ugly expanses.

i like the mayor character's thing of being an artist so you get cool 2d pieces like this contrasting everything else