Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Hopefully G Gundam is an easy gateway into Giant Robo, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

oohhboy posted:

Nope He use to be food or classed as food. It's that stupid. He wishes his back story was Burakumin since it would make sense.

well yeah, the Kuntala aren't 1:1 with the Burakumin, but it's similar and/or an allegory

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the idea i have of Thunderbolt from the few suits i've seen is: strap a fuckton of shields and/or weapons to [insert Zaku II or OG Gundam here]

which isn't terribly exciting compared to basically any other series

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Dangerous Person posted:

I really like G Gundam but I've never seen any of his other work. Give me some recommendations.

Giant Robo is his best, but Shin Mazinger Z Impact is also well regarded. he's done some others too but those are the big ones/good places to start.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i love the typical Gundam head design. it's the white/blue/red/yellow color scheme that is bad and boring.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

when will we get MS Boys, Bandai?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i like Anime Ja Nai beyond the novelty of the lyrics, and would disagree that it's not catchy. hell, it just started playing in my head

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

that Unicorn may actually be uglier than Destroy Mode :gonk:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

What? Why?

What subtleties of robot design am I missing here? It just looks like the same unicorn, simple silhouette intact, with more detail added to the metal plating

i like the Unicorn because it's monochrome and doesn't have a ton of detail. adding that stuff and panel lining it makes it stick out in a way that ruins the design for me.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It's a conversation about mobile suit designs, it's not gunpla posts. Chill out, Droyer.

they're literally talking about decals and model grades...i don't think his complaint is unwarranted

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Srice posted:

I can't even imagine what the point of a 0083 remake would be.

same, since i expect it wouldn't look as good and may or may not have better characters

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

I wanna get Tim Gunn to review all the civilian outfits in Zeta and ZZ

i'd listen to him review any anime clothing tbh

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

please do not trigger oohhboy

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

EthanSteele posted:

I think you should say more. Part of what made you seem so caustic this time is that you said a single line that when read parses mostly as "actually, he's not funny" followed by "anyone who disagrees is white knighting hard" whereas if you had gone into detail in the first place there'd actually be something to discuss versus one dude going "it sucks" which doesn't give people much incentive or options other than "no it doesn't", you get what you give, I guess!

yeah, this is the problem i had w/ that post. it seemed dismissive rather than attempting to bring up any concrete opposing view, and then turning from that to paint everybody as "fanboys" just made it worse

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Given the origin of her name (Elpeo Ple = L(emon) People, a notorious hentai magazine with characters that... uhh... tended a little young), any creepiness is almost certainly intentional.

intentional like the creepy posts you keep making? Puru is fine, jesus christ

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

She's a child-shaped weapon with a semi-functional moral compass who was raised and modified by walking creep machine Glemmy Toto. It's pretty clear she was supposed to be kind of off, and the name is just part of that.

yeah, Glemy is a creep. meanwhile Puru is a girl in hosed up circumstances who acts out and tries to create some stability by forming a sibling relationship with Judeau. i really don't think Tomino is a pedophile because her name is a pun of an adult manga magazine.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

they could do Super Robot Girls Z, except not creepy

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

G Gundam, except instead of countries it's girl's high schools.

there should still be countries, just high schools in different countries

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

just animate Developers or the manga with the Acguy brothers or Plot to Assassinate Gihren

i have not read any of them but they seem well-liked and good

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Level Slide posted:

"Anime fans were a mistake" - Hayao Miyazaki

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

That's exactly what happened with Gundam Extreme VS :shrug:

Seriously? Is it even legal to not allow preorder cancellations?

amiami doesn't let you cancel orders unless you actually talk to somebody from the company via email or whatever, and even then they reserve the right to deny your cancellation. so it doesn't seem that weird for online shops like that

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Gunpla literally saving the world wasn't a bad development necessarily, but it seemed like a fairly large and dumb escalation, i didn't like it. BFT's escalation issues felt more about not even reaching the level of competition as BF rather than one-upping BF's dumb climax.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i don't think kira means sparkle unless you repeat it like "kirakira," at which point you have the onomatopoeia for something shining/sparkling

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

Really annoyed re96 isn't available in the states on their YouTube page. I also don't ha e the CR premium I need to watch it there.

just get a hold of the OVAs...?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

anime is the only canon

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

you're sol if your favorite Gundam boy gets killed before s2 though :(

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Well Manicured Man posted:

That's okay, he has a brother we never mentioned before who just happens to look and sound just like him!

IBO has the same problem, but there isn't a convenient twin brother as a replacement

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Giant Robo is more wuxia than anything robot related, but that won't change anybody's opinion on it after the fact.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

am i the only person who thought Chickara Dual was a guy until now?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

The Tryon is the only good part of BFT, and would have been a perfect fit for a second season of Build Fighters. :v:

please do not diss the Turn A dickpunch

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

personally, i insist that Turn A is good because it is. as is BF, which i would be equally as insistent on.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i think there's also a bit of Char being lovely involved too. they made it seem like there was something between the two of them

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

will we ever be free of weirdos who cheer the death of Quess, a kid manipulated into a deadly conflict, because she was 'annoying?'

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

closeted republican posted:

You can still fell pity for her circumstances and still find her annoying. :ssh:

the part i take issue with is people finding joy in her death.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

It was a Gaia Gundam, the Nyaia Gundam

and here i was hoping for an even cuter Asshimar design :negative:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Panzeh posted:

Honestly when our space carrier has kids on it they oughta just be dumped off on the nearest colony and some grizzled vets brought in to actually fight the war.

War is bad(but it looks super rad look at this badass poo poo yeeeah). If you really want to show how bad war is, show how boring it is.

i dunno, i think a show like Now and Then Here and There is great at showing how terrible war is just by showing non-stop horrible things that can happen. it also has a cast mostly made up of children, which works because war would affect them just as much as adults.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

should i watch the Thunderbolt ONAs separately or just go for the compilation film? i dunno if the individual ONAs have padding like OP/ED or episode previews, but seeing that they add up to a longer runtime than the movie has me worried that some stuff got cut, despite December Sky having "additional scenes."

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/80s_anime/status/768221086060347392?s=09

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

maybe the goofy gundam spinoff has more to offer than fights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the mech has horns and a red cape, it seemed like a toreador riff to me